Affordable Volunteer Programs in India

Hosted by

Varun Verma
Program Coordinator

About This Program

iSpiice (Integrated Social Programs in Indian Child Education) is a voluntary social organization which offers affordable Volunteer programs in India.

iSpiice also offers meaningful travel opportunities in India, including optional add-on tours to world's famous sites such as Taj Mahal tour, Himalayan Trekking tour, Adventure Tour in Manali, Jaipur and a 2-day tour visiting Golden Temple in Amritsar.

• Contribute towards the Indian Community that is much in need
  • Partake in volunteer opportunities in India for Individuals, Groups, Couples & Students
  • Take a tour of the Taj Mahal, offered on the final weekend of volunteering
  • Take a trip hike the Himalayan Mountain Trek
  • Visit the Golden Temple on an off day

Volunteer work includes teaching projects, after school programs and summer camps, women's empowerment, childcare projects, and renovation of local institutions. Volunteers typically work on their two preferred programs each day, from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm on Monday - Friday.

You'll have breaks throughout the day for meals and relaxation. iSpiice volunteers will have weekends free and can participate in add-on tours.

During the week, a typical day will follow this schedule:

7:30 am: Wake up and enjoy a chai
7:45 am: Yoga class (60 minutes)
9:00 am: Breakfast and work preparation
10:30 am: Program 1 (2 hours)
12:45 pm: Break for lunch and work preparation
2:00 pm: Program 2 (2 hours)
4:30 pm: Afternoon chai and work preparation

Bus or train transfer from Delhi to Dharamsala
Program supplies

What's Not Included
Domestic Airfare
What's Not Included (Extra)

International Flights
Add-on tours such as Taj Mahal, Himalayan Trekking, Jaipur + Taj Mahal, Golden Temple and Manali Adventure Trip.

iSpiice Volunteer House and Programs are situated in the villages of Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh. This location is known the world over as a tourist destination. It is known for the magnificent scenes, beautiful climate, snow capped Himalayan mountains and tea gardens surrounding the area and being home to the Dalai Lama – he gives public teachings at his temple in McLeod Ganj throughout the year.

Accommodation is large house in rural Dharamsala. The house is comfortable and the location is beautiful with access to all local amenities. Accommodation is very communal – food is eaten together and bathrooms and living spaces are shared. The number of people you will share with depends entirely on the number of volunteers we have in the house, but the maximum number of people in a room is 4. And in case you were wondering we have western toilets and hot water.

We have fabulous cook that make authentic home style Indian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day (all of which are included in your Placement Fees). We mainly serve vegetarian food (lentils, vegetable curries, eggs, rice, and Indian breads) but can cater to any dietary requirements if you give us some warning. Our volunteers miss the iSpiice food when they’re back in their home countries.

Availability

8 Weeks
$1800 USD

David

Great Eperience!

Overall all I have found my experience here at iSpiice extremely positive and have enjoyed my time here. I found the program excellent for both the volunteer and students. I would look forward to rejoining the program in the future. The staff was excellent. I will certainly recommend the program to others. I had a very rewarding and worthwhile experience, something I will cherish. Thank you iSpiice.

I will not change anything.
Lindsay

Best 3 Months of My Life

I have nothing negative to say about my time spent with iSPiiCE. The staff, the work, the food, the location, the tours, the locals, and the other volunteers all exceeded any expectations I could have ever had. The best part of the entire experience are the people you will meet through your work. Whether that be in the slums, daycare, or a class you teach, they will change your life! I cannot recommend this program enough.

Anna

India at its best!

I can honestly say I have never felt more cared for in my life than in my time at iSpiice. The staff have exactly the right balance between what a Western tourist needs, and immersing them in Indian culture so they feel absolutely at home and not like a tourist at all. I felt safe and comfortable at all times in a country so different to anything I had experienced before. The kindness of Indian people has to be experienced to be believed, those at iSpiice in particular. I came away with a new sense of how good people can be, as well as a tummy stuffed full of the best food I’ve eaten (and pounds lighter, could there be a better place??) How to have the best of all possible worlds, travelling while feeling at home, the most wonderful scenery with plenty of time to see it around worthwhile work that benefits a community unlike any other you’re likely to have experienced, and shopping until you drop. I would go back tomorrow if I were able to do so, and stay longer this time to experience more of the seasons.

Kate

Couldn't ask for a better way to spend my time in India

I'm 100% sure that I'm returning within the next year. I've never loved living somewhere more than northern India. I felt truly happy and thanks to the staff, I was comfortable and safe. I honestly can't stress how amazing this experience was enough. There aren't enough words to describe how perfect it was. If I could get on the plane right now and go back, I would (and I literally got home two days ago).

A washing machine would've been great, but hey, now I know how to hand wash my clothes! it all worked out in the end.
David

5 Wonderful Weeks :)

I had an incredible experience ISPiiCE! They went above and beyond to meet your every volunteer and personal goals/wishes. Varun even assisted with onward travel plans, and was very personable and inspiring in all that he has done to get the company to where it is now. One example of how selfless Ravi and Vineet, 2 other staff members are, was the multiple times they would offer to cook more rice. I quickly learned that eating everything meant you were still hungry and so they would just keep cooking it and Serving it up. It was so funny, one of the first nights, it took a 3rd refill for me to realise to stop eating it until empty. They just want to please you, therefore you are so well looked after!

The teaching and childcare I was involved in was amazing, and the staff helped with translating. I can't recommend the experience more; it's a must do for anyone. Whether you are a seasoned volunteer, a newbie, retired etc, ISPiiCE are so flexible in meeting your goals and supporting you as needed without you feeling pressured! Amazing! :)

Petro

Go on an adventure of a lifetime

I have a question: How do you make the world a better place? Part of my answer I found in India. “The way to Happiness: keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry. Live simply, expect little, give much. Scatter sunshine, forget yourself, and think of others.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale With the opportunity provided by iSpiice to live and work in the community – with and for the community. I was truly blessed to have shared in the people and children of Dharamsala’s lives. I am blessed to have shared some skills, knowledge and experience and to share part of their lives with my heart and soul.
In the process I met some really fabulous people, I stepped in ancient places and had some deep spiritual experiences. Mostly I learned from the people who so deeply touched me: Life is really simple!
My sincere gratitude to Varun, Vineet and Ravi – for everything. May you be blessed with what you are doing for your community!

Really enjoyed doing the lesson plan & the lesson also was fun to do but I guess it doesn't seem like you are going to make much of a difference with just a few hours.
Nia

“It was an awesome experience.

“It was an awesome experience. Varun (the Founder) provides patronage to local services/trades people with disabilities, provides food and support to families who are recently bereaved, and organises sponsorship of promising students to be able to continue their education. I took advantage of the Add On Tours and a highlight of my trip was the visit to the Golden Temple at Amritsar. I thoroughly recommend this organisation/volunteer placement. It has given me the confidence to travel to India again as a volunteer.”

Aoife

Wonderful Experience

“India at its best. Set in a beautiful rural part of Northern India the opportunity to spend time with families and assist with improving their education and outlook has been possibly the most fulfilling experience in our lives. iSpiice, especially Varun, should be proud of the work that they do as without their foresight and passion the opportunity to volunteer and assist would not be there. Keep up the good work!”

I will not change anything.
Michael

Everyone must join the ISPIICE team

I worked with the ISPIICE team for a month in September 2016 in India. The experience of working with homeless/street youth and in the day care facilities complemented my professional skills and challenged me daily. The experience was life changing for me to assist in advancing education and social skill development for children and youth in the region ISPIICE serves. I encourage everyone to take your next vacation and sign up for this incredible experience. I would also encourage human service organizations to sponsor executive and management team building trips to complete projects for ISPIICE. Your personal mission will be enhanced and your value of resources will humble you in how you will navigate life moving forward.

The entire ISPIICE team is ultra professional, attentive and available 24/7 during your stay to assist all project members. The team housing is secure, safe and allows all team members to socialize outside of projec times. The food was very good and offerings varied.

The connections you will make with team members as well as those you will be serving through the various projects will be lifetime connections. I plan to return an assist ISPIICE in continuing its mission driven foxcus.

Gloria

Best Volunteer Travel Opportunities

Volunteering for iSpiice was one of the best experiences I've had abroad. Having traveled to South Asia several other times, iSpiice was among the most welcoming, friendly and beautiful places I've stayed at. Located in Dharamsala, near McLeod Ganj, home to the Dalai Lama's government-in-exile, the iSpiice house is situated right in the foothills of the Himalaya.So pack your beg Now and enjoy the world best volunteering.

Penny

Want to go Again

I've volunteered here a few times now, and I must say that their mission is incredible.The staff make their best effort to not only provide volunteer opportunities but cultural opportunities as well -- like visiting the Golden Temple in Amritsar, the Taj Mahal and the many spectacular sights of Delhi. Given its proximity to the mountains, weekend treks are also a fun option when not volunteering.All the best!!!

Response from iSPiiCE

Hello Penny,

Thanks for writing a review about us, it is lovely to see that you enjoyed the program and gave us 10/10. I am not sure why you have said that you would not recommend our program, maybe it was a mistake?

Hoping to have you back in India with us.

Thanks
iSpiice Team

No, I don't recommend this program
Carol

Great Job

I always wanted to go to India so when I had the opportunity to I searched for different volunteer organizations. iSpiice had the best options at a great price so I chose them. The staff are so helpful and make sure you are comfortable and happy the whole time. The weekend excursions were amazing, the food was delicious and the locals were very friendly. I recommend this organization for anyone wanting a fun, enriching experience.

Sasha

A wonderful place to be

My time in Dharamsala is one of the greatest memories I have.
The people, the scenery and the atmosphere are all amazing and gave me the experience of a lifetime. The staff at ISPiiCE made my whole time volunteering comfortable, motivational, safe and FUN!
If you want to volunteer with the community, this is the place to do it; with people who really need it and with great support for you too.

A more structural teaching scheme, so that new volunteer pick up where old ones left so the pupils English advances and they're not just doing the same thing over and over again.
Charlotte

Amazing

It was such an amazing experience working in the communities and learning about the culture. It certainly encouraged me to begin a career in international development. Everybody was so helpful, friendly and the food was great! The experience was truly eye opening and i thought it was great value.

I genuinely wouldn't change a thing.
Kamal

Visited in 2011

I attended the University of Saint Thomas and I had the privilege of being part of a 10 person team to volunteer for iSPiiCE. The iSPiiCE team met us at the airport and made it a smooth transition from the city all the way up into the mountains. Being a volunteer teacher was one of the most remarkable experience of my life. The community, and especially the students were welcoming and always went out of their way to make it hospitable. The iSPiiCE staff did a great job of balancing the workload and taking us on adventures throughout the city. There were times we forgot that it was a temporary engagement because we were lost in the beauty of the mountains, culture, and community. I highly recommend this trip because it changed the lives of everyone one on our trip and I wish to go back soon.