Choosing an iSPiiCE program is an excellent way to share in a combined volunteering and adventure travel experience. Volunteers work at a grass roots level on exciting and worthwhile projects and are given the opportunity to immerse themselves in Indian culture and lifestyle.
- Enjoy projects are in the stunning Dharamsla region of Himachal Pradesh
- On off days, hike Dharamsala's snow-capped peaks and lush green valleys
- Take trips to the Dalai Lama Monastery
- Morning or Evening yoga classes
- Walk around the Kangra Tea Gardens
What to Expect
Your mission as an iSPiiCE education volunteer is to help communities and children who have fewer opportunities, using your skills and talents to help them to learn and grow. iSPiiCE focus on education initiatives for community development believing education to be at the root of social reform. Poor education standards, illiteracy, and high student dropout rates are some of the more glaring issues for educational reform in India.
During the week, a typical day will follow this schedule:
7:30 am: Wake up and enjoy a chai
7:45 am: Yoga class (60 minutes)
9:00 am: Breakfast and work preparation
10:30 am: Program 1 (2 hours)
12:45 pm: Break for lunch and work preparation
2:00 pm: Program 2 (2 hours)
4:30 pm: Afternoon chai and work preparation
7:00 pm: Dinner
7:30 pm: Relax, go shopping, prepare for tomorrow's programs
iSpiice volunteers will have weekends free and can participate in add-on tours to popular destinations in the regoin.
- Meet and greet at New Delhi Airport
- One night stay at hotel in Delhi
- Bus or train transfer from Delhi to Dharamsala
- Accommodation at the iSpiice volunteer house
- Daily private car transfers (to and from work placements)
- Program materials
- 24/7 support from the iSpiice team
What's Not Included
- International and domestic flights
- Add-on tours such as Taj Mahal, Himalayan Trekking, Jaipur + Taj Mahal, Golden Temple and Manali Adventure Trip.
Housing & Meals
iSpiice Volunteer House and Programs are situated in the villages of Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh. This location is known the world over as a tourist destination. It is known for the magnificent scenes, beautiful climate, snow capped Himalayan mountains and tea gardens surrounding the area and being home to the Dalai Lama – he gives public teachings at his temple in McLeod Ganj throughout the year.
Accommodation is large house in rural Dharamsala. The house is comfortable and the location is beautiful with access to all local amenities. Accommodation is very communal – food is eaten together and bathrooms and living spaces are shared. The number of people you will share with depends entirely on the number of volunteers we have in the house, but the maximum number of people in a room is 4. And in case you were wondering we have western toilets and hot water.
We have fabulous cook that make authentic home style Indian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day (all of which are included in your Placement Fees). We mainly serve vegetarian food (lentils, vegetable curries, eggs, rice, and Indian breads) but can cater to any dietary requirements if you give us some warning. Our volunteers miss the iSpiice food when they’re back in their home countries.