Make a REAL difference in Kenya - From just US$220!

By Love Volunteers   Reviews (8)   94% Rating

Join Love Volunteers and their local partner organizations to connect with and help the local Kenyan communities throughout the country. Explore Kenya's beautiful scenery and wildlife. By working with schools, orphanages and health clinics, Love Volunteers is able to offer a wide variety of volunteer projects. Projects are flexible for volunteers and can start any day throughout the year.

Volunteers can work with disadvantaged young children in orphanages and schools to support and educate them. Teaching programs allow volunteers to work in high schools or elementary schools and with rural tribes. Teachers are needed to teach every subject, including English. The HIV/AIDS program promotes awareness and medical visits. Medical volunteer projects are also available depending on the experience and qualifications of the volunteer. Visit the Love Volunteers website for more information now!

Program Info

18-22
22-35
50+
Cost Description:

Love Volunteers registration fee, plus program fees starting at just US$220 for one week.
Program fees cover airport pickup, orientation, accommodation, and food (see website for specific program details).
The Love Volunteers registration fee covers any placements you undertake for twelve months from the start of your first placement.
This fee is refundable if you choose not to volunteer more than three months prior to the start of your initial placement.

Languages:
Local dialects
Housing:
Home-stay
Volunteer House
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Raminta
    Dublin, Ireland
    Dublin Business School
    Fantastic month in Kenya
    07/13/2015

I've spend one month in Nairobi, Kenya working as an English language teacher. The whole experience was fantastic and very eye-opening! Marafiki Community staff were very nice and supportive. I could especially mention the team leader Izzo, haven't seen such an enthusiastic and energetic person as he is! My school wasnt far away from my placement so it was easy and safe to travel. Food was great, very simple and nutritious. African people are very friendly and easy going. I fall in love with Africa!

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
  • Helen
    Age: 19-24
    Kazan, Russia
    Life-time experience
    11/28/2014

To tell the truth, I had some stereotypes about Africa before this trip. But it seemed exciting to go there because everything there is absolutely different from the places I have ever been. I have made a great decision to participate in volunteer program in Mombasa, Kenya.
    At the beginning I had some worries about our accommodation, environment, children, schools, etc. i was afraid of being useless there because I am young and not experienced enough. Finally, these concerns turned out to be groundless.
    The family became a second home there, they treated us the same way. At school I realized that it is so easy to be important for someone even due to your presence. Every rather small help can turn into great one. Indeed the ocean consists of billions drops, we can make an ocean with each drop. I am endlessly grateful for this opportunity to get such a life-time experience.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 3
  • Petra
    Age: 19-24
    Victoria, British Columbia
    University of Victoria
    Worth it!
    10/15/2014

I spent 2 weeks volunteering at an orphanage in Nairobi which unfortunately I did not feel was not enough time to really make a big impact, but even still, it was very eye opening. I recommend spending longer if you can, but if you only have 2 weeks, go for it!

The program was well organized from the pickup from the airport to the ongoing support and phone calls from the staff and I felt surprisingly safe taking the public transportation on my own,

Kenya itself is such an interesting country. If you have never been to Africa, you can expect it to be overwhelming at first, but it is SO worth it. After only 2 weeks I left with a completely changed perspective on life and Africa in general and I cannot wait to come back and spend some more time helping out!

How could this program be improved?

It felt a bit wrong to form relationships with the children at an orphanage and then leave them 2 weeks later. The kids seemed upset when I left and it almost felt like it would have been better to distance myself more and focus on the bigger picture- maybe this should be encouraged more for the short term volunteers.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Amanda
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I love Kenya
    01/04/2013

I spent 7 weeks in Kenya in 2012 and loved every second of it. I meet amazing people, both Kenyans and other volunteers from around the world and felt that the work we helped with was extremely worthwhile.

I spent most of my time with the host family about an hour our of Nairobi near the IDP camp. The 'mama' of this family looked after me like my Mum would and I was welcomed into her family completely.

I volunteered at the IDP school and spent my time working on a reading programme 1:1 with the kids and running small medical clinics for any children that had wounds etc that needed looking after. After school finished we spent time playing with children or visiting families who lived in the IDP camp - seeing how they live was an eye opening and life changing experience.

The pogramme set up is amazing, the country coordinator and the staff from Love Volunteers kept in touch the whole time I was there making sure everything was ok. I was able to help with some special feeding programmes in Kibera, Nairobi and around the IDP camp, a big free medical clinic at the IDP camp and also fit in a safari, trip to a Massai village and a few trips to the Massai markets for souvenirs.

My trip to Africa was something I had been wanting to do for a very long time and through Love Volunteers and the people in Kenya it was even better than I imagined it would be, I can't wait for another trip back to see my 'Kenyan family'.

How could this program be improved?

I wouldn't change anything about my trip to Kenya. There were moments where I was out of my comfort zone but they just helped to make the trip all the more amazing.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0

• SLevin
    New York
    Most Influential Experience of My Life
    09/11/2012

Since my first visit, I have since returned to Kenya and the Love Volunteers program 2 more times. I believe my actions can be more powerful than words. I took the time, energy and money to return because the program is well run, and the work you do makes a difference. When I first arrived at the IDP camps (that is the program I chose) almost 3 years ago there was no hope whatsoever. Families were going hungry, kids were not at school, and these families had little hope. Visiting the camps today you will see a stark difference. Children are in school, crops are planted, families are employed, and there is a new sense of life. Without the organization and wonderful people involved, none of this would have been possible . I recommend this placement to anyone who is willing to bring ideas and make a difference.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 1
  • Anne
    Age: 51 or older
    New Zealand
    Volunteer in Kenya with Love Volunteers
    09/10/2012

The best experience ever, it really opens the eyes but also makes you aware that even as an individual you can contribute and make a difference. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly. I was met at the airport by the Love Volunteers representative and stayed the first night with his family. After that I was in the volunteer house with several others and a wonderful house mum. I was given several options for work but for me caring for the very young children in the orphanage was best. This was an experience that will stay with me for life and will make sure I do it again. Love Volunteers were really good with their organisation and communications and I felt supported and safe all the time.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
  • herbie
    norway
    masai heaven
    05/04/2012

Me and my husband went to the massai program together and we had an amazing time ( if you don`t mind my husbands reaction to the malaria tablets...) We stayed with a familiy a couple of hours drive from Nairobi and it felt like another world :-) We did a garden project were we gave the local ladies seedlings and small plants,and we showed them how to take care of them,we also made a garden at the local school. We felt our work made a difference in the community and the people were really gratefull. The only negative point is that we had to make up our own project since the NGO were not informed what project we were joining (they were told we were teahing...) We had a great time our six weeks in Kenya and we lived with a including an very welcoming family that took us in as an extention of theire own family :-) The staff at the NGO was also easy to get in touch with so we felt very safe and well taken care of. The only ting I regret about the trip is that I brougt way to many clothes ,so there was no room to bring all my gifts and souvenirs home.... It`s difficult to write a review just from the top of my head,but I`ve told LV to give my mail adress to anyone of you who want to ask questions,I`ve also written a short review on LV and facebook sites.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
  • joanrootfan
    Age: 31-50
    Tulsa, OK
    Very glad that I participated in this program
    05/01/2012

I experienced every spectrum of emotion during my three weeks. It really was difficult at times. I'm probably older than the average volunteer and work as an IT Manager. I'm used to being able to achieve things that I set my mind to, so it was definitely an experience to me to be in a culture where that wasn't necessarily the case. Went on safari and it was phenomenal!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0

About the provider

We are just a handful of passionate people working hard to help volunteers and local communities around the world. We don't have huge overheads - no company cars, no downtown office - we're just volunteers who thought we could do a better job. We work with local organisations wherever we can to keep administration costs to a minimum and also to return as much money and skills to the local communities where we operate. We can offer the lowest possible fees, but also ensure that you are immersed in the local culture and are actually making a difference!