Make a REAL difference in Cambodia - From just $359!

Make a REAL difference in Cambodia - From just $359!

Join Love Volunteers and work with their partner NGOs in Cambodia! With poverty as a main concern, there is plenty of volunteer work to be done in Cambodia. There is a wide range of options of fields for volunteers to work in. From orphanage work and medical work to social work and even architecture and environmental protection, there is something for everyone!

Cambodia is a beautiful country with a friendly culture. Volunteers in Phnom Penh stay in a homestay or guesthouse. Visit the Love Volunteers website to learn more about volunteering in Cambodia!

Current Love Volunteers Programs:
Community Development
Law & Human Rights Internship
Teaching English

Volunteer anywhere from 2 weeks to 24 months
Make a noticeable impact in the communities you serve

Asia » Cambodia » Phnom Penh
Asia » Cambodia » Siem Reap
1 Year+
Year Round
Love Volunteers registration fee, plus program fees starting at just US$359 for 2 weeks.
Program fees cover airport pickup, orientation, accommodation, and food (see website for specific program details).
The Love Volunteers registration fee covers any placements you undertake for twelve months from the start of your first placement.
This fee is refundable if you choose not to volunteer more than three months prior to the start of your initial placement.

Sangeet
England

Teaching Siem Reap, Cambodia

Hello fellow travellers, future travellers and everybody else. I am Sangy, Im from England and I'm 28. So here I am in Cambodia, Siem Reap teaching at Kidtea, a NGO school. So what brings me out here? When I was younger I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to be or do. But one thing I was sure about I wanted to help people. In what manner I did not know but from anything that would better someone's life even if it was by the littlest margin would be worth my time. Often as we get older you get swallowed by daily life and busy working away in much different sectors than you thought you would. But that desire to get out there and help people was still there so I finally took the plunge and booked myself on a project. This was a few years ago and still to this day I still hold such fond memories. To locals who take you in as their own family, to the children who are introvert at first who then go on to give you the biggest and warmest hugs, the loudest and happiest greetings, create such infamous drawings and humorously mimic my English accent.

As cliche as it sounds it has changed me. The world is such a vibrant and unique place with hundreds of different cultures and way of living, so to be a part of one and immerse yourself in a different way than solely visiting or passing through a place, is beyond eye opening.

This is my third voluntary project I have done abroad with Love Volunteers which itself speaks volumes and I just love it more and more each time.

But forget the 'Sangy Story'. If you have or are pondering about doing it, just go out there take the leap and make your own incredible story and journey.

Response from Love Volunteers

Dear Sangy,

Thanks so much for becoming part of the Love Volunteers team again. We absolutely love having you and you make such an impact on all the programs you participate on.

I absolutely loved reading about your motivation to help people and it's so true that too often we get so caught up in day to day life that we can't see beyond the horizon. We're so pleased that you took the plunge and you've never looked back!

Thanks for inspiring others.

Grace
Auckland, New Zealand
University of Auckland

I didn't want to leave!

My volunteering experience with the media project was beyond words. The wonderful woman who runs the organisation, Theary, was an absolute treasure. She took a lot of time to explain how the nitty gritty of how NGOs operate, and would take me with her to everything from conferences and meetings to her family friend's wedding. Needless to say that thanks to her I saw so many different sides of the real Cambodia. On top of that, the work was really fulfilling. The days were long, so you felt your time is being used well and you can really see the effects of the effort you put into it.

It would be great if air conditioning was included in the price.

Response from Love Volunteers

Hi Grace,
Thanks for your review and for giving credit to the wonderful program coordinators who work tirelessly and passionately to improve the lives of those less fortunate.
Thanks again,

Max
London
University of Greenwich

Alternative Housing and Urban Planning Volunteer

Alternative Housing and Urban Planning Volunteer

STT work in a variety of sectors which help support and protect the poorest communities in and around Phnom Penh, providing advice on human rights issues, architectural solutions, detailed mapping and land rights documentation as well as acting as a voice for these otherwise unheard communities.

Although my role within STT was to predominantly produce architectural solutions that address the needs of these communities my role also encompassed the land mapping process and working alongside the human rights team to protect those who are vulnerable and in need.

My role gave me with the opportunity to understand the Cambodian culture and architectural process within it.

Meeting with the communities and understanding the wider issues concerning the families within them provided me with a deeper understanding of the challenges they face and allowed me to experience a social side of architecture which I had not previously been involved in. Enabling families to have a voice and hope of a better future has been incredibly rewarding.

I handled a number of projects in varying scales, from individual dwellings to more recently the Chrang Chamres project which is situated on a land area of 6.5 acres and proposes to provide 13,000 new homes and a variety of commercial opportunities for the communities living within the development. My drawings for this project were presented to the local communities, individual residents, directors of NGO's and to donors to make these a built reality in the near future.

Another project I was heavily involved in since my time at STT has been the White Building - a complex and political project concerning the threatened displacement of some 2,500 residents. As well as providing architectural documentation I worked with the human rights team and fellow NGO's in providing feasible solutions to help save the building and secure the tenure for the residents of the building.

As well as the fellow NGO's on this project I worked hand in hand with the residents and village chiefs to ensure any proposals have the full support and approval from all key stakeholders in order to provide a attainable vision of the future in these uncertain times.

My time at STT has been extremely insightful - the roles undertaken, the responsibilities, the respect and the appreciation received from both the communities and my colleagues has been very fulfilling. Working in a third world environment has exposed me to the challenges, constraints and stark realities of life for many people which I hadn't fully appreciated. This first hand experience took me beyond my initial understanding of the Cambodian people and exposed me to new ways of thinking in a new and interesting side of architecture which I believe has helped my professional develop and progression.

The organisation I worked for was difficult at times, but most of the problems tended to be how they worked in comparison to a western way.
You have to be incredibly patiant at times but it is well worth it.

Response from Love Volunteers

Hi Max,
Wow, what an awesome review! Thanks so much for taking the time to give future volunteers an insight into the experience.
What can I say except: Thanks for being an awesome volunteer!

Aileen
Melbourne
Monash University

Law and Human Rights Program in Cambodia

Volunteer in Cambodia is an experience for lifetime to me -- Ive seen the things Ive never seen and done the things Ive never done before there!

Love volunteers and the local organisation which was directly responsible for my accommodation and placement were both very helpful. The airport pickup, orientation, city tour as well as the local contact that we could seek help from all contributed to a safe and pleasant stay. The staff of love volunteers always give me prompt response addressing my questions and the local staff never fail to give me a hand whenever I called up asking for help ( they tried their best to offer me assistance even my prob was entirely extraneous to the placement). I do appreciate their help n assistance a lot.

I was both happy with the work and accommodation in Cambodia. The work kept me pretty much busy all the time and the tasks I was assigned to could be challenging sometimes. The host family was nice and clean, above all, the food they cooked was
fantastic!

Hope that you have a great time in Cambodia!

I was happy about my displacement but I've heard that there are certain volunteers dont have enough work to do in other NGOs( this happens irrespective of which organisation they came in touch with). I personally didn't have such issue cos my NGO made sure I was the only volunteer there and kept me busy.
I had been particular about what kind of job I would do and which NGO I would work with before signing up for the placement. So I recommend that any prospective volunteer do the same to achieve the best understanding of the nature and workload of the NGO that u r about to work with.

Response from Love Volunteers

Hi Aileen,
Thanks for this excellent advice to prospective volunteers. We highly recommend researching before a placement and preparing for the specific role you intend to do in advance as much as possible. It's great to hear that you did this and benefited from it.
Happy to hear that the host family and local team met your every need. They're very experienced!
Thanks again and all the best for the future.
The Team @ Love Volunteers.

Melinda
Sydney

5 week Community Development

I signed up for 5 weeks Community Development in Phnom Penh. I did not have any work to do at my placement. I went along to meetings, training sessions, conferences and visited the local communities, but I never actually contributed anything. I spent a lot of time in the office, googling things to keep myself amused. From speaking to the others staying at the volunteer hostel I know that I was not the only one in this position. I brought this to the attention of Love Volunteers and the local NGO organizers but nothing could be done about it. They said the end of year is often quiet in the Community Development sector. The disappointing thing is that it looks like volunteers (such as myself) are being accepted without anyone checking if there is a specific project for them to work on.
That said, the pricing of this program is very good and the on the ground staff were very attentive and helpful (when they could be). The volunteer hostel accom is very basic (a little shabby around the edges) but I enjoyed the social side of life there, the saving grace of my 5 weeks.

Response from Love Volunteers

Thanks for taking the time to review this program. We're glad you were happy with the pricing, helpfulness of the ground staff and the social aspect of your placement. We understand that the accommodation may not be what you're used to but as a volunteer it's important to remember that you are visiting parts of the world which are developing and we always seek to provide the best accommodation possible, while maintaining very affordable program fees.

It's great to hear that you made it along to meetings, training sessions, conferences and also had the chance to visit local communities. These are important to give you an understanding of the needs and problems the community are facing. After gaining this insight it is the role of the volunteer to take the initiative, make a contribution and bring their expertise to the table. We can all help work towards a resolution of the issues faced but need to remember that 'Rome wasn't built in a day' and even if we can't fix all the problems within one visit, each positive thing we do helps towards the greater cause.

We hope you learnt a lot and took home a new perspective in regards to the struggles being faced by people in other parts of the world. Thank you for all your hard work with the people of Cambodia!

Tabitha
Copenhagen, Denmark

Teaching in Cambodia 8 weeks

It was a lovely experience, but I would recommend that you inform a bit more about the local organization. And maybe review, look into the places you locate people more thorough seeing as a few of the volunteers had very little work to do.

And I would have liked to know more about my work beforehand -

Response from Love Volunteers

Dear Tabitha,
Thanks for you comments, this is excellent advice for other volunteers and it's great to see that you had a lovely time in spite of the challenges.
We agree that all volunteers should do their research and some soul searching before they undertake this exciting but also testing endeavor. Volunteering abroad, often in developing countries, is bound to stretch one's comfort zone. Taken with the right attitude this can be an amazing and life-changing experience - both for the volunteer and those they are helping.
We strive to support volunteers throughout the whole experience so we encourage people to ask us questions, give us feedback and generally help us to help them.
All the best for the future,

Camillakidd
London, UK

AMAZING experience in Cambodia

A Friend and I went for a few weeks and lived with a host family who were lovely. The in country staff were so helpful and the orientation day at the beginning of your stay allows you to meet others who are doing similar work to you (and are equally as new to the country as you are!) Our actual placement was just outside Phnom Penh (staff helped us organise transport too and from the orphanage) The kids were great, so full of energy even in the heat! We taught English for 2 hours a day and then looked after the children for the rest of the time, it was lovely as it had such a relaxed atmosphere, this was possibly because it didn't feel like we were in the city surrounded by fields and the river! In our free time we explores all the markets and visited Choeung Ek killing fields and S-21. At the weekends we went down to Sihanoukville and up to Siem Reap to see the temples of Angkor (Both are reached very easily- and cheaply- from Phnom Penh!) Overall, had an amazing experience and have already booked to do another placement with Love Volunteers for this summer!

Response from Love Volunteers

Hi Millie,
Thanks so much for your review, it's great to hear that your experience with the orphans in Phnom Penh was mutually rewarding.
We love that you are so enthusiastic and passionate about helping people - like us! We look forward to having you on the team again soon.
The Team @ Love Volunteers

We are just a handful of passionate people working hard to help volunteers and local communities around the world. We don't have huge overheads - no company cars, no downtown office - we're just volunteers who thought we could do a better job. We work