ISV - Volunteer Projects in New Zealand

By ISV Reviewer Verified   Reviews (51)   96% Rating

As a volunteer in New Zealand with International Student Volunteers (ISV), you have the opportunity to protect and rehabilitate some of the most remarkable landscapes on Earth. ISV partners with local conservation organizations including government and non-government, private reserves, farms and grassroots community groups, to directly benefit rare and endangered New Zealand species. Volunteer assistance is essential to ensure the health and survival of native ecosystems in this country.

Specific tasks involve reforestation initiatives, reintroducing endangered bird species, weed removal, planting trees, learning from the native Maori, limestone cave restoration, and pioneer mining. You could be placed on either the North or South island of New Zealand, and all projects with ISV highlight and increase accessibility to beautiful natural environments for future generations. For more details on how to make a difference to this green nation visit ISV's website today.

View Program Information
Volunteer House
Application:
Age Requirement
Health Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Lyndsay
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Broadening Horizons
    12/19/2015

I was only eighteen when I decided to travel with ISV. I was fresh out of high school, unsure of what to do with myself.I wanted to see the world,but was too scared to do it alone.
    I started working full time, and fundraising, to save for my trip to New Zealand. I convinced one of my friends to go with me, and together we encouraged each other to reach our fundraising goals.
    In a flash our trip began, and ended. I was able to spend the first two weeks on an isolated island off the coast of Auckland. I got very close with the other participants(and even the park ranger!), and it reminded me of all the camping trips my family use to take when I was kid. I had no internet, no cellphone; we washed our clothes and dishes by hand, and chopped wood for the fireplace. At night we would play checkers, make hot chocolate, eat tim tams, and joke about the days events.
    The last two weeks were spent quickly touring the rest of the island. We had a jam packed agenda.
    I skydived, kayaked, hiked glaciers, white water rafted, and got to try spelunking with glow worms! I did things I only dreamed of, that when I came home it didn't even feel real.
    I came home incredibly full, but somehow empty.The month in New Zealand, had given me confidence I had been looking for the whole time, but I was ready to take on the rest of the world. Staying too long in one place gave me the jitters, and I quickly started planning my next adventure
    Fast-forward three years later, and I am now living in Hiroshima, Japan, teaching children English. The most important thing that ISV taught me, was the importance of not being a tourist. I carry that motto with me now, and continue to try and be a self reliant resident, here in Hiroshima Japan, giving back to the community when I can.

I don't regret for a minute the decisions I've made, and know I wouldn't be where I am today, if I hadn't allowed myself the time to travel with ISV.

Lyndsay

How could this program be improved?

Unfortunately the worst thing about my trip were the people, and that's something you can't really control.
    I had a fantastic first two weeks, but when all the groups meshed, it became overwhelming. People changed around the wrong kind of influences, and some of the friends I thought I knew from the first two weeks, completely changed. I know if I had gone on the trip now as a 22 year old I would be able to handle my ground, and have enough confidence in myself as a person to not take so many things personally. I found there was a major difference between the 18 to 24 year olds, and there seemed to be an elite crowd, that only the older ones were in, and that everyone wanted to be in. Many of the participants who had just got there mommy and daddys to pay for their trip, showed zero respect for themselves, other participants, and New Zealand. By the time I got to Fiji, myself and my friend were the only two who stayed at the resort, because the rest of our group decided to find their own resort, because it wasn't to their"standards". They came rushing in late at night, saying they had a cab driver waiting outside, and anyone who wanted to come with them better hustle.
    Although these events were negative I was able to take a lot from them, learned about myself, and still had a great time. I just think its important to be honest with these kinds of things. I don't necessarily have a resolution to these problems. Ive wanted to go on another ISV trip, but am hesitant of what kind of participants I would encounter. People can really make or break an experience, and I know how difficult it is, because you never know what kind of people are applying to these things, or if their parents are just making them.

Queenstown, New Zealand
    Useful 1 Inspiring 2
  • Amanda
    Berlin, Germany
    Exploring New Zealand
    12/19/2015

Volunteering with the Department of Conservation in New Zealand was not only a great resume-booster for me but also the adventure of a lifetime. I also made lifelong friends from across the globe on this program who I still go to visit, even five years later! I got to see and learn and experience so many things on this trip, from floating through glow worm caves to riding horseback through scenes from Lord of the Rings. I highly recommend this program for anyone who loves the outdoors and is searching for some adventure. :)

How could this program be improved?

The food costs could be made a little more transparent. It seemed like we paid more for groceries than we actually ended up spending.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Halle
    Athens, ohio
    Ohio University
    The best experience to immerse yourself in New Zealand culture
    12/18/2015

As a wildlife biologist this was the best experience of my life. I learned so much about New Zealands native people and the plant and animal life. In the 2 weeks we volunteered we planted over 5000 trees and learned the cultural significance of New Zealands environment to the Maori people. I gained so many skills for my future career from gps work to radio tracking kiwis. The scenery was absolutely break taking and the work was more like vacation because it was so fun. I made friends that will be friends for a lifetime and the last two weeks I bungeed, went horseback riding, white water rafted and spelunked just to name a few. I loved New Zealand so much I never wanted to leave and would love to go back. I highly recommend this program to anyone interested in wildlife

How could this program be improved?

As a wildlife biologist I would have liked some more hands on work with wildlife but I made up for it with a new wealth of knowledge of New Zealands plant biology

• Matthew
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Clemson University
    Most amazing experience of my life
    12/18/2015

On my trip to New Zealand I was able to make a difference and give back to the environment in a positive rewarding way. It was amazing to experience the outdoors and scenery that is unique to New Zealand and can be found no other place in the world. After making a contribution to environmental conservation efforts, I had the amazing chance to tour the country for two weeks for the new friends I had just made. The tour included activities like hiking, bungee jumping in the place it was created, skydiving, whitewater rafting, natural Polynesian hot springs, the amazing glow worm caves of waitomo and so much more amazing things. I highly recommend to fans of outdoors, the lord of the rings/hobbit(you visit hobbiton), and adrenaline junkies.

Cost of Punakaiki New Zealand
    View from cave on the coast
    Hike through New Zealand's great outdoors
  • Lisa
    Age: 25-30
    Orange County, California
    ISV changed my life
    12/17/2015

I cannot begin to tell you how much my program with ISV has impacted my life. I learned so much about the planet, the culture and history of New Zealand, responsible travel and most importantly, myself. This is not just a volunteer trip. It is an opportunity to experience something amazing that will transform you as a person.

Not only was the educational experience and program content phenomenal, but the logistics and support from ISV staff was beyond satisfactory. Office staff in California was always there if I needed something or if I needed help. Everything from documents to flights to payment was centralized from the California headquarters so it made the entire process smooth and simple. Not to mention, every time I called the office, I spoke with an actual HUMAN. This meant so much to me considering it was my first time abroad.

ISV is a wonderful organization. The passion and commitment ISV has to make the world a better place surpassed all of my expectations.

Thank you ISV. I am a better person because of you.

Make the programs longer =]

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Connor
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Louisiana State University- Baton Rouge
    The Best Experince of My Life
    12/16/2015

This was definitely the best experience of my life. I volunteered at a conservation reserve in southern New Zealand and I'm still questioning if it actually happened. Everything was so organized and we always got to where we needed to go on time. If for some reason we could not do an activity (because of weather) ISV had another one lined up and ready to go. It is true when ISV says that "you will do more in 4 weeks than most people do in their lifetime."

How could this program be improved?

This program could not be improved. The only thing I could possibly say needs improving is the price but when all of the things you get to do, the amount of organization, the deals they cut with these companies..... you're actually getting an extremely low price. I would go on this program again in a heartbeat.

• Dan
    Chalfont, Pennsylvania
    Pennsylvania State University
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    12/16/2015

This trip was a blast. The conservation work during the first two weeks was life changing, and the adventure tour was some of the most fun I have ever had. It was an awesome experience getting to see the penguins the first two weeks, and being able to see our progress at the end and knowing what that would do for the environment there was priceless. The adventure tour was filled with amazing experiences, and I would have to say that bungy jumping, visiting Hobbiton, and hiking in all the different landscapes were my favorite while there. The 360 degree view from the top ofAlex Knob in Franz Josef was breathtaking and it was awesome watching the helicopters fly below us.

How could this program be improved?

I would increase the length of the program because although we were there for a month, I would have loved to stay there longer to see more and do more conservation work.

Night Sky in Dunedin
    Harington Point, Dunedin
    Lake Rotorua
    Video:
    A video put together by one of the students with me.
    A video put together by one of the students with me.
  • Caitlin
    Age: 25-30
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    University of Arkansas- Fayetteville
    Land of the Long White Cloud
    12/16/2015

Going to New Zealand was a very surreal experience. When I first arrived, our group came to a small town in the bush (forest) and it felt almost as if I were in pre-historic times. The trees and leaves are so much bigger than I was used to coming from the United States. It was absolutely gorgeous. Over the course of a month we were able to travel all over the north and the south island, to large cities like Wellington and to small towns like Rotoorangi. The first portion of our trip 35 of us planted over 4 thousand native trees which was to help return the land to it's natural habitat and rebuild the bird population. The next two weeks was packed full of adventure, from 8 hours of glacier hiking to 8 hours of glow worm cave exploration. The lay-out of the islands makes it easy to be close to water and the weather year around is great, staying around 55deg even in the winter. Of course if you travel from the north to the south island you will find it gets much colder the closer you get to the southern Alpe mountains which are covered in lush white show that is often used by snowboarders and skiers. We were given a chance to visit a Maori house and church and to perform and be preformed for. It was a great experience to learn the culture and meet with naive Maori people. I also really enjoyed our instructors and our leaders. They all had great energy and were a lot if fun.

How could this program be improved?

Even though we had a lot of experience and traveled a lot, the total amount of money I so spent on my trip was questionability worth it.

• Katie
    Pittsburgh, PA
    University of Akron
    Just One Month Can Change Your Life
    12/15/2015

When I found out about this program, I was beyond excited. Going across the world to explore new cultures and areas, all while helping the environment? Sign me up.

This experience will always hold a huge place in my heart. Through ISV, I managed to conquer my fears in more ways than one, all while having the greatest time of my life. I will never forget the way I felt bungee-jumping off the Kawarau Bridge, which was the absolute high-light of my trip. I will never forget looking up at the night sky and seeing the Milky Way light up above me. I will never forget the friendships I've made or the memories we created with each other.

This experience was more than I had ever imagined. The adventure tour was amazing and thrilling, yes, but the most unique part of this program is the volunteer portion. I learned so much about myself in those two weeks. It was like a new part of me bloomed into someone I never thought I could be, in a good way of course. This program makes you feel so empowered, no matter who you are or where you come from.

ISV is such an incredible program, and I wish everyone could have the chance to participate in it. The staff and team leaders are so incredibly helpful and kind towards you and make you feel at home. Although it is a little pricey, it is still well worth it. The experiences and memories I've gained from this program mean so much to me, even six months after completing it! I would happily participate in ISV again in a heartbeat.

How could this program be improved?

I would change it so that everyone would be on the same flight and possibly sit closer to each other, especially if you are in the same project group. If we are on a plane for over thirteen hours, it would be a lot more bearable if we could talk to the people we'd be with for the next two weeks!

Other than that, the rest of program is wonderful and worth every penny.

• Courtnie
    Ames, Iowa
    Iowa State University
    One Person CAN Make a Difference
    12/14/2015

Going to New Zealand through ISV changed my life more than I could have ever imagined. It was amazing being a part of a project so meaningful along side so many passionate people. I was able to meet new people who shared goals, passions and interests similar to mine. Experiencing different and exciting new things with my new friends, was something I will never forget and I wouldn't trade my time with them for anything. You get on a plane and expect everything to be scary, and don't get me wrong, it is, but in the most beautiful and spectacular way. You find ways to leave your comfort zone and you learn new things about yourself that you wouldn't have at home. I got to spend two weeks living my dream to rebuild habitats for endangered animals and got to learn about sustainable development hands on. I went bungee jumping, saw hobbit houses, climbed up a waterfall, hiked to destinations I had only dreamt about, learned about a new culture and made friends & memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life. If you have the chance to and want to volunteer abroad, ISV has everything a person could ask for. Adventure. Passion. Education. Impact your world with ISV. You won't regret it.

How could this program be improved?

I wish I could have spent my whole summer volunteering with ISV, a longer program for a doable price would be amazing.

• Miran
    Seattle,WA
    University of Washington- Seattle
    The best thing you can do for yourself
    12/13/2015

New Zealand is honestly the most beautiful place with the kindest people I've ever encountered. No matter how big your expectations are of this place, they will always be surpassed and you will be floored by the majesty of the landscape and the variety of species that are unique to New Zealand. I would highly recommend seeing the Waitomo Glowworm Caves. The vast number of glow worms will make you feel so small under a blanket of a million blue stars.

If you have the chance and the means to volunteer abroad, New Zealand will not make you regret doing so. It's really the best thing you can do for yourself.

• Jess
    Iowa City, Iowa
    University of Iowa
    Great experience
    12/13/2015

I loved this trip so much. Definitely recommend it to anyone. The only problem I had was with the staff on the additional 2 week excursion part. I had an allergic reaction to something, but she did not want me going to the clinic because I would miss an activity (even though it was necessary) and she did not keep it private. Otherwise it was an increible trip.

How could this program be improved?

Work more with the students and put their needs before the staff members.

• Alissa
    Montreal, Canada
    McGill University
    Awesome Journey with ISV
    12/12/2015

I had an amazing experience with ISV and looking back, I would say has it definitely sparked my interest in travel, as I have travelled alone or with others every year since. Our 3 ISV group leaders were AMAZING as well as the program coordinator/bus driver/everything man! We spent two weeks doing environmental conversation (planting trees, weeding, monitoring local pests, track building) and I really liked getting my hands dirty! It was so interesting to learn about the Maori culture as well, that feels like a total privilege. We were welcomed to the local Maori community and learned about their history.

What initially drew my into this trip was the adventure tour especially since I am an adrenaline junkie. NZ is THE place for extreme sports from skydiving to bungy jumping to jet-boating. The black water rafting is such a unique and amazing experience. Thinking back though, I totally loved everything about this program. ISV is a great company because they really care about giving you the best learning opportunity possible as well as all the cool extras on the adventure tour. They will always make sure you have options if something is cancelled due to bad weather. They give you plenty of tips about where to go, but you don't always have to stick together as a group and are free to choose where you spend your free time, although they will always have suggestions for you and point you to the local tourist point for info. They encourage you to keep a journal, which you should definitely do throughout the whole stay. I did in detail and that was great because you don't remember all the interesting stuff you learn about the culture otherwise.

This experience has opened my eyes to different ways in which I can be involved in volunteering and also what concrete things I can do to play my part in helping the environment. Making us aware and helping us plan and apply sustainable development and responsible tourism was included in my ISV program. I made friends and I realized the importance of finding work that is meaningful to me. I will go back to New Zealand for sure, I would love to spend some time working there as well. This was a very new experience for me, as I tend to be somewhat reserved, but this trip is all about teamwork so I loved meeting people and I also loved the idea of doing something new and exciting everyday!

How could this program be improved?

I think they should make the option to fly with the group not optional but obligatory. I did not book my flight with ISV, thinking I would save money because my parent works for an airline. But due to the volcano ash cloud (i.e. always expect the unexpected), I ending up having to buy a ticket last minute. That's the only dent in my otherwise great trip, and it was not really ISV's faut but my own. I told them that they could use my experience as a cautionary tale. So unless you are certain that nothing bad or unexpected will happen, book the flight with ISV, it saves you the hassle and stress of dealing with bookings in events such as these. This is the reason I gave a 9 out of 10 and not a 10, but honestly the ISV staff was great about all this and I got to stay at the hotel with the others, even though technically I was not booked with ISV for the flight.

• Grant
    La Crosse, Wisconsin
    University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
    There and back again, my ISV New Zealand trip
    12/10/2015

I started my 4 week adventure by spending 2 weeks on the coast of the otago peninsula in the south island of New Zealand preserving the yellow eyed penguin habitat. We were placed with our host smack dab in the culture, and we learned so much by living in the culture that I will never forget. They placed us with locals who showed us around the city and all told us a bunch of New Zealand knowledge. The 2 weeks volunteering were actually really fun! It's real work so don't go in expecting to not do anything, or else everyone will be mad at you. We had to cook local dinners together, do dishes, travel, and do everything as a group. in short, you will get VERY close to everyone on your trip. Our hosts provided us with a ton of activities to do in our free time so we were never bored (How could you be in one of the most beautiful places on earth????) The worse part was saying goodbye to our hosts, who basically became family over the course of the stay. We had a group of 6 people but then we met up with about 20 for our adventure tour.

The adventure tour to this day, is still hands down the most fun I've ever had in my life. We started off in Queenstown, then went all the way back up to Auckland. I went bungee jumping at the first ever commercial spot to do so. We did activities like rafting, caving in gloworm caverns, bungee jumping, skydiving, zorbing, spa pools, seeing the Lord of the Rings film set, going to a native tribe, and much much more. There's so much adventure and excitement in this tour I couldn't even try to put it in a single review. Overall amazing experience, already planning my next one, I would recommend doing the same because spaces fill up quickly!

How could this program be improved?

The only thing that wasn't enjoyable was that I couldn't stay longer! Seriously planning and my next trip and actively trying to recruit students who want an unforgettable experience like myself. If you want info don't hesitate to contact me at horst.gran@uwlax.edu

Hobbit Hole! As seen in Lord of the Rings
    Bungee jumping in Queenstown, first ever commercial bungee jumping spot
    5 hour caving adventure in the glowowrm caves
    Video:
    This is a video made by a girl on the trip (NOT MADE BY ME, CREDIT GOES TO SARAH CLAYTON)
  • Melissa
    Irvine
    ISV-New Zealand
    12/10/2015

If you have a thirst for adventure and a desire to make a positive impact, then International Student Volunteers is the program for you. In just four short weeks I met some amazing students from all over the world, got to do volunteer work in a Paparoa National Park, and explore an entire country. Spending two weeks in a low key volunteer house working with some amazing people was such a fulfilling experience! The work we did was rewarding and enjoyable. The first two weeks of volunteer work were a great lead in to an adrenaline filled adventure tour. In just two weeks I jumped off the world's first commercial bungy bridge, white water rafted off of the highest commercial rafted drop in the world, repelled 11 stories into a cave, climbing up underground waterfalls, became a Hobbit for a day, and saw some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. This trip definitely was a once in a life-time opportunity. ISV is a great program if you're a first time traveler. They do all of the planning for you and make sure you're safe while you're overseas. All in all, ISV just provides a great international experience for its students.

How could this program be improved?

This program was a bit pricey, but it required no stressful planning on my end.

Exploring Punakaiki
    Arthur's Pass NP
    15 Stories Below the Surface
    See video

About the provider

ISV's mission is to support sustainable development programs around the world through life changing student volunteer programs designed to positively impact our world and to educate, inspire and result in more active global citizens.

Destinations include South Africa, Costa Rica, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand and the Dominican Republic. ISV has won multiple awards and over 30,000 participants from around the world have experienced their educational, cultural and adventure programs. Volunteers can join small teams for two-week projects in the field of conservation or community development, followed by a two week adventure tour. Many students earn academic credit for their involvement and highly qualified local staff carefully oversee programs in each country. ISV is recognized as one of the highest rated volunteer and travel organizations in the world and is a non-profit organization in California, USA. Its Australian operations are based in Sydney. Begin your ISV adventure today!

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.