Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in New Zealand from $530

Mornings
Beach clean up
Beach clean up
Volunteer group

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in New Zealand and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 2 volunteer project options in New Zealand and give back for periods ranging from 2 to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a hostel, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for New Zealand, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in New Zealand:

• Coast and Waterway Conservation
  • Environmental Education
  • IVHQ’s New Zealand program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $885 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 10 and 30 other IVHQ volunteers who start in New Zealand each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Sarah

I fell in love with New Zealand and it’s people instantly

The trip was a truly unique experience . Right from arrival through to my last day the trip ran smoothly and nothing went wrong . The staff working with the charity there were so so friendly and passionate about what they wanted to achieve with us which was lovely and the hostel staff too were the most welcoming people ever ! I feel like I have grown as a person on this trip as have learnt not only how to cope living away from home in a country far away from my own but I’ve also gained valuable skills and life lessons like how to protect and look after the environment which is clearly a very important thing in modern day . Also seeing the beautiful scenery and wildlife of New Zealand was defiantly a highlight ! I didn’t want to come home!

Bring given a list of the people doing trip pre arrival
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review on our New Zealand volunteer program, Sarah! It's great to hear that this program has had such a positive impact on your life and that you feel more confident as an independent traveler. Thanks for your contribution to the project and we hope to welcome you back to NZ again soon! ^Grace - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Olivia

IVHQ is Amazing

Volunteering with IVHQ was an amazing experience. Everything from my research phase all the way to returning home after the program was made easy, safe, fun, and worth the price. Emphasis on the safety, I injured myself while in trip and the local staff was extremely helpful. Without them them the process would’ve been much more intimidating. IVHQ staff answers all questions and concerns promptly. Not only was the volunteer experience extremely rewarding but my program also included trips after volunteering that helped me see hidden gems I would’ve never known if if it wasn’t for the local staff at my placement. The quality of work I participated in truly made me feel like I made a difference, I made new friends, and overall had a great time. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone!

Do everything you can to stay for at least 4 weeks. This truly allows you to build lasting relationships and see the impact you making first hand.
Sloane

Coast and Waterway Conservation in New Zealand

I recently spent two weeks in Auckland, New Zealand volunteering with sustainable coastlines through the IVHQ program. Traveling and volunteering abroad was amazing and I feel that I have gained so much from this experience. The other volunteers and I became fast friends and spent our evenings and weekend exploring New Zealand together. Some of the best places I visited include Hobbiton, Waiheke island and the Waitomo glowworm caves. The accommodations were comfortable, the meals provided to us were yummy and the work we did tending native plants on the Maori land and cleaning the beaches of New Zealand made a real positive impact. I would recommend that anyone interested in international volunteering and/or environmental volunteer work consider this program.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
In New Zealand I had passion fruit for the very first time and it was delicious!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sloane, thanks so much for sharing your experience volunteering in New Zealand with IVHQ. It sounds like you had an incredible time making friends and having adventures. Thank you for volunteering your time and energy to an important sustainability program! Grace - IVHQ Program Manager.

Audrey

Perfect way to travel the first time alone

I have never been out of the United States prior to this trip. I knew that I was going to be on my own and wanted to give back and this was the best way I found how to make my dream a reality. Everyone has a background check, they provided lodging and picked me up from the airport. All of this made me feel comfortable, confident and less anxious.
While I didn’t get to do everything I wanted, I know I made a small impact on the world, small while meeting some wonderful people from all over the world.
What is really fun, there is so much to do in the city. I never got the chance to explore the rest of New Zealand due to time constraints, but I still got to see great views and get the adrenaline pumping.
So thankful for this experience and can not wait for my next adventure.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Audrey, I'm so pleased to hear that your first time travelling outside of the US was so wonderful! We would love to have you join us again :) Courteney - IVHQ Program Manager.

Read my full story
Kiran

6 weeks volunteering in Auckland, NZ

This 6 week long volunteer experience was one of the most rewarding adventures of my life. I met some incredible people and took part in exciting projects that made a serious impact on the environment. During my time in New Zealand, I worked with a local charity called Sustainable Coastlines. They engage the community by hosting tree-planting events and beach cleanups in an effort to conserve the land they love. I was able to help during these events and see the change happening first hand. Another part of the volunteer program involved working at a plant nursery run by a local iwi tribe. I learned so much about native plants and animals while working in the nursery and was able to assist in running the nursery smoothly. The knowledge I've gained through both parts of this volunteer placement has been invaluable and I hope to visit the people I've met in New Zealand sometime in the future. I was also able to travel around New Zealand over the weekends. I had the opportunity to see Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves, Rotorua, Raglan, Waiheke Island, Queenstown, and the Coromandel Peninsula. One of my favorite memories seeing the Prime Minister speak at an event by Sustainable Coastlines where she praised the organization for its impact on the country. I am so grateful that I've had the opportunity to experience a new country while working towards a more sustainable future.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kiran - Wow! You really took advantage of your time in the beautiful country of New Zealand. Thank you for spending time giving back with IVHQ and we look forward to your next volunteer adventure. Rachel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Jade

Sustainable Coastlines

I couldn't have had a better experience with the Sustainable Coastlines organisation. Every member of staff were so welcoming and appreciative of our time dedicated to their cause. Our work place were breath taking. We had a chance to do a beach clean up and it was incredible. The New Zealand scenery did not disappoint. I've met so many wonderful people and I would'nt change this experience for the world. I highly recommend to those who are adventurous and those who aren't afraid to get a little dirty !

More offsite opportunities.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jade - Thank you for your hard work while volunteer in New Zealand! The video you made from your time there was absolutely amazing, come back any time! Rachel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Diana

Great Experience

I am in the medical field and wanted to do non-medical volunteer work and I thought volunteering with Sustainable Coastline was an extraordinary experience. Great group of people doing great things to help with the environment. Experiencing the Maori people was very significant. All of this wouldn't of been possible if it wasn't for IVHQ. My take away was that I wouldn't of seen all that I saw in and around the north island of New Zealand if I didn't volunteer with IVHQ/Sustainable Coastline. I met some good group of people to boot!

to have the transportation (bus traveling) included in the price of the program
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Diana - It's great to hear you had the opportunity to see so much of beautiful New Zealand while volunteering! We look forward to having you on another IVHQ program soon. ^Rachel - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

my shoes
Lina

Live begins at the end of your comfort zone

I joined the Native Forest and Waterway Restoration with IVHQ NZ for 2 weeks and the experiences have been humbling and positive that I'm going to remember for a very long time (if not forever). Right from the start, the local coordinator has been very supportive and the program itself has bring a unique experience into my life. The day normally start with breakfast in this nice cafe nearby the hostel, then we took a bus to the nursery plantation place and start working. The local Maori people with whom I am working with are very nice, friendly, and ready to share knowledge that they know about the culture and plants. Some of other activity (beside the regular) that i encounter with is to do plantation with kids from the local school in wide outdoor areas which is soo much fun. There are many other activities we can do after the work such as going to nearby beach, going for a hike, or just relaxing. In the beginning, I thought I might encounter some awkward situation because it's out of my comfort zone but the whole experiences have proven me quiet the opposite. I highly recommend everyone who is in their comfort zone to get out of the comfort zone and you will be rewarded with Awesome experiences for your life. Last but not least, be ready to get your hands dirty, bring smile and kindness everywhere you go, Kia Ora.

By providing more variety of activities/placement (at least once a week).
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lina, Thanks for posting about your time on the IVHQ New Zealand program, it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the food, volunteer work and working alongside the locals. We hope you will join us again soon! Kia Ora, Charlotte - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Sarah

Amazing Learning Experience

From the time I stepped off the plane, the individuals at IVHQ and Sustainable Coastlines were there to support me in any way possible. I learned so much, took so many great photos and videos, and met some truly amazing people on this adventure.

The first week we got to meet their main partner, a Maori tribe called the Ngati Whatua Orakei. I personally felt a spiritual connection to their land, the language, and the friendly faces that worked there. They were very open and expressive about their history, their gratitude for us, and their goals for the land that we are working on. The second week we got to work with on the Orakei land, as well as meet some new partners at the Kokako Lodge and the Kaipatiki Project. And we did my favorite part, planting trees!

I cannot say enough about how much I learned and got to experience. The locals were so nice, gave some great recommendations, and every single person involved with this volunteer program was kind, considerate, and cooperative. I felt valued as an individual and volunteer, and I valued the program's proactive stance on clean water and beaches, sustainability, and actions toward a less single-use world.

To see more about my work in New Zealand and how much I loved it, check out my vlog at www.missraraventures.com

I have spoken to the volunteer coordinator about this, but the only thing that could be improved was the scheduling of the days we were volunteering with the different partners. That is literally it - this was a phenomenal volunteer program. I wish I could have stayed longer.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, Wow! Thanks for your great review. We are so glad to hear that you felt welcomed and were able to have a thought-provoking and informative time on our New Zealand program. Thanks for sharing your vlog and for being a great volunteer.
Charlotte - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Lara helen

Best 2 weeks ever!

Hi, I'm lara, I worked for 2 weeks at the coastline conservation and education. For those who are interested in going to do this program I fully reccomend it. There are many reasons why I'm telling you to go for it: there is the fact that the country is absolutely stunning, or beacause you will never get bored since there is so much to do, but mostly I reccomend it for the feeling and the emotions the whole experience makes you live and the enormous satisfaction and sense of community/family. The satisfaction that you feel after you've passed most of a day picking up rubbish is so big that it will make you want to do it over and over again filling your days with joy. This joy is also brought by the staff, the people that work on the boat, at the Maori and at flagship are absolutely amazing, they will always make you feel secure and the energy that they spread will make your day always better, if you wake up in a bad mood, don't worry, it will go away as soon as you get in contact with them.
Last big advice, enjoy it, capture every single minute because it's one of the best experiences you will ever have, and try to do all you can to get out of your comfort zone otherwise you will miss out on new learnings.
Have fun!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lara, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you made the most of your time on the program by exploring New Zealand and enjoying the company of our awesome local team. Thanks for your thoughtful advice for future volunteers and for being an excellent volunteer!
Charlotte – IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Gary

Sweet memories in Auckland!

I volunteered in the native forest and waterway restoration program for 5 weeks. During the 5 weeks I went to the Maori land to plant trees and went on to a boat to do ocean clean up. The work was physical but it was fun and inspiring! The food was really good and the accommodation was convenient right at the Auckland city centre. I would recommend this program if you love the nature and coastline!

More information about what to bring for the volunteering work.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gary, Thanks for sharing! We are happy to hear that you found the volunteer work on the New Zealand program fun and inspiring. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to have you volunteer with us again!
Clover – IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Taylor

Best Volunteer First Trip Ever

I had SUCH a great time in New Zealand helping out Sustainable Coastlines and the Maori. It was so enlightening about environmental and ocean concerns when you are out there in the rain, getting your hands dirty, contributing to cleaning up the Earth and sincerely trying to make it a better place through it. The people were so kind and helpful, and I loved exploring the area in my time off. The hostel was almost like a hotel with how clean and hospitable it was, and the food was delicious! Hot breakfast every morning! I will never forget my experience in New Zealand, as being my first country outside home as well as my first volunteer experience, and I had such a great experience with IVHQ that I plan on volunteering for another environmental/coastal nonprofit in Oahu. Everyone should volunteer at least once in their life, and I definitely would recommend to do it through IVHQ.

Maybe a planner of every volunteering day for what tasks need to be done. Other than that, I thought it was pretty straight forward.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Taylor, We are so happy to hear that you had a great time in New Zealand! From your photos it looks like you explored some beautiful locations. Thanks for being an excellent volunteer and we hope your experience with IVHQ in Hawaii is just as successful!
Clover – IVHQ Hawaii Program Manager

Yu

Great Experience

I think I've made a great decision. It was my first time voluntering abroad. I am sure that it won't be the last time.
I spent four weeks in New Zealand where we can spend time with the Maoris, helping them planting trees, gardening, and learning their culture. The team was great, and the local were really nice and friendly. I felt honored to be able to help keep their home clean and put my own effort into something meaningful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yu, It’s nice to hear from you! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time volunteering on the Native Forrest Restoration project and learning about the New Zealand culture. We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future!

Colleen

Coastline Conservation

One of my most challenging volunteer days was during my second week. Our job was to pick up rubbish in a nearby estuary. At first look, the task did not look difficult. There was hardly any rubbish in the middle of the river. However, once we maneuvered our way through the mangroves, there were heaps of broken bottles, plastic wrappers, car tires, TVs, and everything else imaginable. It was not effective for us to simply pick up the rubbish while sitting in the kayak. So, we waded into knee-deep water and piled the bags of rubbish onto the kayak. It took us two days to finish the job. A week earlier, another group of volunteers cleaned the area as well. On the third day, we piled all of the accumulated rubbish onto the boat. The bow, the stern, and the sides were overflowing. The job was dirty, physically taxing, and yet extremely rewarding. It amazed me how much rubbish could be in such a small area, and in an area like New Zealand, where the country is known for its clean and beautiful landscapes. I was reminded that pollution is a global problem, and that our actions, good or bad, can make a difference.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Colleen, Thanks for sharing a story from your time volunteering in New Zealand. It sounds like you and the other volunteers worked hard and really made an impact by cleaning the estuary. Pollution is certainly a global issue and we thank you for helping to make a difference. We would love to welcome you on another IVHQ program in the future!

Athira

Tolerance

This is probably not important to some people, but the amount of tolerance I learned from the people and the amount of respect were amazing. I learned to get better manners, and less of a jerk. I learned a lot about gardening, which apparently is a newfound hobby i found after volunteering, and gave me a lot of insights about my university major which, though unrelated to gardening, now I have an idea what to do with my major. Somehow. Anyway, thank you IVHQ! -

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Athira, It is great how a new experience can help clarify the direction you are taking. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Alumni Interviews

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...