Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in New Zealand from $915

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Coromandel
Mornings
Beach clean up
Beach clean up
Volunteer group

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in New Zealand and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 2 volunteer project options in New Zealand - Coastal and Waterway Conservation and Environmental Education - and give back for periods ranging from 2 to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a hostel, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for New Zealand, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s New Zealand program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $915 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 10 and 30 other IVHQ volunteers who start in New Zealand each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Get Your Free Virtual Volunteering Course

Register in July 2020 for any IVHQ volunteer program and get a free online course in International Volunteering from the Global Travel Academy!

Kaitlynn

Waterway Conservation New Zealand

Fantastic people who help you every step of the way. Each member truly cares about what they are doing. The project was fun, inclusive, and rewarding to see that you making an impact. I highly recommend for anyone interested in volunteering.
I chose Waterway Conservation in New Zealand, we tended plants and cleaned beaches. It was eye opening to see how people treat the environment so poorly. The fellow volunteers and staff I met along the way were delightful and I hope to volunteer again in the future.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We all traveled to a small waterfall that most tourists don't know about. We passed by a lake and sand dunes, it was a great experience and one I hope to have again.
toni

New Zealand helped me learn a lot

The staff at ivhq helped me with anything i needed and responded quickly with any questions or concerns. Was a really easy process and connects you with a really cool organization in new zealand that teaches you a lot. When i was there i was learning a lot and felt that i impacted others which impacted me greatly. Always had fun events from tree plantings to beach cleanups to even more interesting people you meet. Got to meet really amazing people who care about the cause and want you to be the best you can be and just to have fun and enjoy the time there. They sometimes bring you on excursions that are equally fun and a great time so i highly recommend the program it really is impactful and super kind people always. the hostel atmosphere is also really interesting and sometimes it’s hard to get your own space but i always went on walks if i needed time alone but everyone is super friendly and wants to just talk and get to know you.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The amount of litter on the beaches is crazy to see and changes your mind about a lot but makes it fun and interesting to get more into and bring it back home and help the coast where i live.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Toni, thanks for your review of our New Zealand program. I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience and picked up some great tips to take home and apply in your own community! We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Courteney - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Sarah

I fell in love with New Zealand and it’s people instantly

The trip was a truly unique experience . Right from arrival through to my last day the trip ran smoothly and nothing went wrong . The staff working with the charity there were so so friendly and passionate about what they wanted to achieve with us which was lovely and the hostel staff too were the most welcoming people ever ! I feel like I have grown as a person on this trip as have learnt not only how to cope living away from home in a country far away from my own but I’ve also gained valuable skills and life lessons like how to protect and look after the environment which is clearly a very important thing in modern day . Also seeing the beautiful scenery and wildlife of New Zealand was defiantly a highlight ! I didn’t want to come home!

Bring given a list of the people doing trip pre arrival
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review on our New Zealand volunteer program, Sarah! It's great to hear that this program has had such a positive impact on your life and that you feel more confident as an independent traveler. Thanks for your contribution to the project and we hope to welcome you back to NZ again soon! ^Grace - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Olivia

IVHQ is Amazing

Volunteering with IVHQ was an amazing experience. Everything from my research phase all the way to returning home after the program was made easy, safe, fun, and worth the price. Emphasis on the safety, I injured myself while in trip and the local staff was extremely helpful. Without them them the process would’ve been much more intimidating. IVHQ staff answers all questions and concerns promptly. Not only was the volunteer experience extremely rewarding but my program also included trips after volunteering that helped me see hidden gems I would’ve never known if if it wasn’t for the local staff at my placement. The quality of work I participated in truly made me feel like I made a difference, I made new friends, and overall had a great time. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone!

Do everything you can to stay for at least 4 weeks. This truly allows you to build lasting relationships and see the impact you making first hand.
Sloane

Coast and Waterway Conservation in New Zealand

I recently spent two weeks in Auckland, New Zealand volunteering with sustainable coastlines through the IVHQ program. Traveling and volunteering abroad was amazing and I feel that I have gained so much from this experience. The other volunteers and I became fast friends and spent our evenings and weekend exploring New Zealand together. Some of the best places I visited include Hobbiton, Waiheke island and the Waitomo glowworm caves. The accommodations were comfortable, the meals provided to us were yummy and the work we did tending native plants on the Maori land and cleaning the beaches of New Zealand made a real positive impact. I would recommend that anyone interested in international volunteering and/or environmental volunteer work consider this program.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
In New Zealand I had passion fruit for the very first time and it was delicious!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sloane, thanks so much for sharing your experience volunteering in New Zealand with IVHQ. It sounds like you had an incredible time making friends and having adventures. Thank you for volunteering your time and energy to an important sustainability program! Grace - IVHQ Program Manager.

Audrey

Perfect way to travel the first time alone

I have never been out of the United States prior to this trip. I knew that I was going to be on my own and wanted to give back and this was the best way I found how to make my dream a reality. Everyone has a background check, they provided lodging and picked me up from the airport. All of this made me feel comfortable, confident and less anxious.
While I didn’t get to do everything I wanted, I know I made a small impact on the world, small while meeting some wonderful people from all over the world.
What is really fun, there is so much to do in the city. I never got the chance to explore the rest of New Zealand due to time constraints, but I still got to see great views and get the adrenaline pumping.
So thankful for this experience and can not wait for my next adventure.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Audrey, I'm so pleased to hear that your first time travelling outside of the US was so wonderful! We would love to have you join us again :) Courteney - IVHQ Program Manager.

Read my full story
Kiran

6 weeks volunteering in Auckland, NZ

This 6 week long volunteer experience was one of the most rewarding adventures of my life. I met some incredible people and took part in exciting projects that made a serious impact on the environment. During my time in New Zealand, I worked with a local charity called Sustainable Coastlines. They engage the community by hosting tree-planting events and beach cleanups in an effort to conserve the land they love. I was able to help during these events and see the change happening first hand. Another part of the volunteer program involved working at a plant nursery run by a local iwi tribe. I learned so much about native plants and animals while working in the nursery and was able to assist in running the nursery smoothly. The knowledge I've gained through both parts of this volunteer placement has been invaluable and I hope to visit the people I've met in New Zealand sometime in the future. I was also able to travel around New Zealand over the weekends. I had the opportunity to see Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves, Rotorua, Raglan, Waiheke Island, Queenstown, and the Coromandel Peninsula. One of my favorite memories seeing the Prime Minister speak at an event by Sustainable Coastlines where she praised the organization for its impact on the country. I am so grateful that I've had the opportunity to experience a new country while working towards a more sustainable future.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kiran - Wow! You really took advantage of your time in the beautiful country of New Zealand. Thank you for spending time giving back with IVHQ and we look forward to your next volunteer adventure. Rachel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Jade

Sustainable Coastlines

I couldn't have had a better experience with the Sustainable Coastlines organisation. Every member of staff were so welcoming and appreciative of our time dedicated to their cause. Our work place were breath taking. We had a chance to do a beach clean up and it was incredible. The New Zealand scenery did not disappoint. I've met so many wonderful people and I would'nt change this experience for the world. I highly recommend to those who are adventurous and those who aren't afraid to get a little dirty !

More offsite opportunities.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jade - Thank you for your hard work while volunteer in New Zealand! The video you made from your time there was absolutely amazing, come back any time! Rachel - IVHQ Program Manager.