Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in New Zealand

Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in New Zealand

IVHQ New Zealand is based in the harbour city of Auckland, New Zealand's largest city. IVHQ New Zealand offers unique and affordable volunteer programs including NGO Support, Coastline Conservation and Education and Freshwater Restoration and Education. Programs commence on the first and third Monday of each month. Volunteers can choose to join the program for anywhere from two to 12 weeks with program fees starting at US$885 for 2 weeks.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in New Zealand:

• NGO Support
  • Coastline Conservation and Education
  • Freshwater Restoration and Education

• Programs available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Program fees airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation, breakfasts and lunches during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local conservation problems and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Volunteers stay in an Auckland central hostel in dormitory style rooms.
  • Volunteers have weekends free to experience what New Zealand is famous for - pristine and untouched scenery, unique wildlife, hiking, adventure sports, wineries and a relaxed lifestyle.
  • Visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!
Oceania » New Zealand » Auckland
New Zealand Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation, breakfasts and lunches during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

my shoes
Lina
Australia

Live begins at the end of your comfort zone

I joined the Native Forest and Waterway Restoration with IVHQ NZ for 2 weeks and the experiences have been humbling and positive that I'm going to remember for a very long time (if not forever). Right from the start, the local coordinator has been very supportive and the program itself has bring a unique experience into my life. The day normally start with breakfast in this nice cafe nearby the hostel, then we took a bus to the nursery plantation place and start working. The local Maori people with whom I am working with are very nice, friendly, and ready to share knowledge that they know about the culture and plants. Some of other activity (beside the regular) that i encounter with is to do plantation with kids from the local school in wide outdoor areas which is soo much fun. There are many other activities we can do after the work such as going to nearby beach, going for a hike, or just relaxing. In the beginning, I thought I might encounter some awkward situation because it's out of my comfort zone but the whole experiences have proven me quiet the opposite. I highly recommend everyone who is in their comfort zone to get out of the comfort zone and you will be rewarded with Awesome experiences for your life. Last but not least, be ready to get your hands dirty, bring smile and kindness everywhere you go, Kia Ora.

By providing more variety of activities/placement (at least once a week).

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lina, Thanks for posting about your time on the IVHQ New Zealand program, it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the food, volunteer work and working alongside the locals. We hope you will join us again soon! Kia Ora, Charlotte - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Sarah
Drew University

Amazing Learning Experience

From the time I stepped off the plane, the individuals at IVHQ and Sustainable Coastlines were there to support me in any way possible. I learned so much, took so many great photos and videos, and met some truly amazing people on this adventure.

The first week we got to meet their main partner, a Maori tribe called the Ngati Whatua Orakei. I personally felt a spiritual connection to their land, the language, and the friendly faces that worked there. They were very open and expressive about their history, their gratitude for us, and their goals for the land that we are working on. The second week we got to work with on the Orakei land, as well as meet some new partners at the Kokako Lodge and the Kaipatiki Project. And we did my favorite part, planting trees!

I cannot say enough about how much I learned and got to experience. The locals were so nice, gave some great recommendations, and every single person involved with this volunteer program was kind, considerate, and cooperative. I felt valued as an individual and volunteer, and I valued the program's proactive stance on clean water and beaches, sustainability, and actions toward a less single-use world.

To see more about my work in New Zealand and how much I loved it, check out my vlog at www.missraraventures.com

I have spoken to the volunteer coordinator about this, but the only thing that could be improved was the scheduling of the days we were volunteering with the different partners. That is literally it - this was a phenomenal volunteer program. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, Wow! Thanks for your great review. We are so glad to hear that you felt welcomed and were able to have a thought-provoking and informative time on our New Zealand program. Thanks for sharing your vlog and for being a great volunteer.
Charlotte - IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Lara helen
Florence Italy

Best 2 weeks ever!

Hi, I'm lara, I worked for 2 weeks at the coastline conservation and education. For those who are interested in going to do this program I fully reccomend it. There are many reasons why I'm telling you to go for it: there is the fact that the country is absolutely stunning, or beacause you will never get bored since there is so much to do, but mostly I reccomend it for the feeling and the emotions the whole experience makes you live and the enormous satisfaction and sense of community/family. The satisfaction that you feel after you've passed most of a day picking up rubbish is so big that it will make you want to do it over and over again filling your days with joy. This joy is also brought by the staff, the people that work on the boat, at the Maori and at flagship are absolutely amazing, they will always make you feel secure and the energy that they spread will make your day always better, if you wake up in a bad mood, don't worry, it will go away as soon as you get in contact with them.
Last big advice, enjoy it, capture every single minute because it's one of the best experiences you will ever have, and try to do all you can to get out of your comfort zone otherwise you will miss out on new learnings.
Have fun!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lara, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you made the most of your time on the program by exploring New Zealand and enjoying the company of our awesome local team. Thanks for your thoughtful advice for future volunteers and for being an excellent volunteer!
Charlotte – IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Gary

Sweet memories in Auckland!

I volunteered in the native forest and waterway restoration program for 5 weeks. During the 5 weeks I went to the Maori land to plant trees and went on to a boat to do ocean clean up. The work was physical but it was fun and inspiring! The food was really good and the accommodation was convenient right at the Auckland city centre. I would recommend this program if you love the nature and coastline!

More information about what to bring for the volunteering work.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gary, Thanks for sharing! We are happy to hear that you found the volunteer work on the New Zealand program fun and inspiring. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to have you volunteer with us again!
Clover – IVHQ New Zealand Program Manager

Taylor

Best Volunteer First Trip Ever

I had SUCH a great time in New Zealand helping out Sustainable Coastlines and the Maori. It was so enlightening about environmental and ocean concerns when you are out there in the rain, getting your hands dirty, contributing to cleaning up the Earth and sincerely trying to make it a better place through it. The people were so kind and helpful, and I loved exploring the area in my time off. The hostel was almost like a hotel with how clean and hospitable it was, and the food was delicious! Hot breakfast every morning! I will never forget my experience in New Zealand, as being my first country outside home as well as my first volunteer experience, and I had such a great experience with IVHQ that I plan on volunteering for another environmental/coastal nonprofit in Oahu. Everyone should volunteer at least once in their life, and I definitely would recommend to do it through IVHQ.

Maybe a planner of every volunteering day for what tasks need to be done. Other than that, I thought it was pretty straight forward.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Taylor, We are so happy to hear that you had a great time in New Zealand! From your photos it looks like you explored some beautiful locations. Thanks for being an excellent volunteer and we hope your experience with IVHQ in Hawaii is just as successful!
Clover – IVHQ Hawaii Program Manager

Yu
Tianjin, China
University of Toronto

Great Experience

I think I've made a great decision. It was my first time voluntering abroad. I am sure that it won't be the last time.
I spent four weeks in New Zealand where we can spend time with the Maoris, helping them planting trees, gardening, and learning their culture. The team was great, and the local were really nice and friendly. I felt honored to be able to help keep their home clean and put my own effort into something meaningful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yu, It’s nice to hear from you! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time volunteering on the Native Forrest Restoration project and learning about the New Zealand culture. We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future!

Colleen
Omaha

Coastline Conservation

One of my most challenging volunteer days was during my second week. Our job was to pick up rubbish in a nearby estuary. At first look, the task did not look difficult. There was hardly any rubbish in the middle of the river. However, once we maneuvered our way through the mangroves, there were heaps of broken bottles, plastic wrappers, car tires, TVs, and everything else imaginable. It was not effective for us to simply pick up the rubbish while sitting in the kayak. So, we waded into knee-deep water and piled the bags of rubbish onto the kayak. It took us two days to finish the job. A week earlier, another group of volunteers cleaned the area as well. On the third day, we piled all of the accumulated rubbish onto the boat. The bow, the stern, and the sides were overflowing. The job was dirty, physically taxing, and yet extremely rewarding. It amazed me how much rubbish could be in such a small area, and in an area like New Zealand, where the country is known for its clean and beautiful landscapes. I was reminded that pollution is a global problem, and that our actions, good or bad, can make a difference.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Colleen, Thanks for sharing a story from your time volunteering in New Zealand. It sounds like you and the other volunteers worked hard and really made an impact by cleaning the estuary. Pollution is certainly a global issue and we thank you for helping to make a difference. We would love to welcome you on another IVHQ program in the future!

Athira
1 year old
Indonesia

Tolerance

This is probably not important to some people, but the amount of tolerance I learned from the people and the amount of respect were amazing. I learned to get better manners, and less of a jerk. I learned a lot about gardening, which apparently is a newfound hobby i found after volunteering, and gave me a lot of insights about my university major which, though unrelated to gardening, now I have an idea what to do with my major. Somehow. Anyway, thank you IVHQ! -

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Athira, It is great how a new experience can help clarify the direction you are taking. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to