Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Ghana

By Projects Abroad   Reviews (29)   89% Rating

Projects Abroad has been placing volunteers abroad since 1992. As a volunteer in Ghana you will have the opportunity to work in a number of different capacities, including: Teaching, Care, Building, Medicine & Healthcare, Journalism, Veterinary Medicine, Sports, and Human Rights. All our volunteers work directly with local communities to have a meaningful and longterm impact.

Thank you for your interest in volunteering in Ghana with Projects Abroad! We look forward to seeing you in the field.

Program Info

• Oliver
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Ghana Two Week Special
    07/20/2015

I recently completed the two week medical special with Projects Abroad in Ghana. I am quite comfortable saying that it was a truly memorable experience. On arrival, despite the fact that I was traveling alone, the Projects Abroad team made me feel comfortable with the chaotic Accra airport. At no point was I uncertain where to meet Projects Abroad. During my time in Ghana, I was mainly located in Cape Coast. A unique aspect of the two week special was its ability to immerse volunteers like myself in Ghanaian culture. The friendly staff played a significant role in this; not only were they helpful but I feel as if I made several friends along the way. The host family also surprised me; the living conditions were acceptable and the food was good. The members of the household were also quite friendly. Finally, the medical experience I gained during this time was valuable, I always felt as if I was learning something new. Most importantly, you get the impression you are genuinely helping people in need. I would highly recommend Projects Abroad to anyone seeking a special experience overseas.

How could this program be improved?

I can think of very little to improve this program.

Photos:
  • Lauren
    New York
    Yale University
    Morocco
    07/12/2015

I volunteered with Projects Abroad In Morocco for one week as an alternative Spring Break trip. It was an amazing experience and I wish I could have stayed longer. My host family and program coordinators were amazing and were very sensitive to my needs and wants. I had the opportunity to experience an entirely new culture, practice a foreign language and I felt like I was helping people also. PA is well worth the higher than usual cost, and it is an experience that I look back on very fondly.

cost

• Chandler
    Washington, D.C.
    Georgetown University
    Medical Service in Ghana
    05/26/2015

I had an amazing experience working in Ghana this spring break on an alternative spring break trip. I provided medical services in a variety of communities within and around Cape Coast. Before I headed to Ghana, I had already spoken with multiple staff members on the phone who informed me of my accommodations, what to bring, and many other important trip details. Arriving in Ghana, ProjectsAbroad staff was waiting for me with a big sign and a big smile. Throughout the entire trip, they kept me informed and feeling comfortable. My homestay family was absolutely wonderful - they were very generous and kind. I stayed up late at night talking with them - we shared funny stories and just learned about each other's lives. The other volunteers I worked with were dedicated and really cared about the work they were doing. It was nice working along with others who were as passionate about volunteering and providing medical services to the communities we served. Overall, I truly enjoyed my time in Ghana and I wish I stayed and volunteered for a longer time period. I highly recommend ProjectsAbroad to anyone interested in volunteering abroad.

How could this program be improved?

I wish I had more time to do activities with my home stay family; but since I was only in Ghana for a week, I needed to spend most of my time volunteering and providing medical services to the various communities

Photos:
    Blood Type Testing
    All the children in a school pilled into one room so the other volunteers and I could teach them about oral hygiene.
    One of our meals made by the host family.
  • Kylegibson
    Regina
    University of Regina
    A life changing experience
    12/16/2014

Projects Abroad provided a tremendous amount of support before I left, which helped alleviate any apprehension.

The host family I was placed with absolutely made the experience! They cooked my meals, taught me about their culture, and treated me like a son.

I was on a microfinance internship, which is a new project for Projects Abroad in Ghana. We helped setup two businesses, both are set up to be financially and operationally sustainable.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 1
  • Amanda
    Allentown, PA
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    Care Project in Ghana
    08/18/2014

I always wanted to go to a country in Africa. I researched different programs and different destinations and chose to go to Ghana through Projects Abroad. I heard Ghana was a great place to start for new travelers in Africa and I couldn't agree more. Being all alone in a different country thousands of miles away from home can be terrifying but I never once felt unsafe in my host house, walking around the city, or even traveling to different areas of Ghana. The people of Ghana are very friendly and accommodating to travelers.

The program itself was great. The staff was very informative and helpful months before departure up until I arrived safely back home. They were always willing to talk and help whether it was how to obtain my Visa, how to get around the city, or even just when I was homesick and needed someone to talk to. Even though I was all alone on this journey, I never felt alone because of the wonderful staff, the host family, and the other volunteers. The people I encountered on my trip made the trip great and I will never forget them.

One concern I had about my trip was the assignment. I signed up for a Care program but found myself doing more teaching than I anticipated. When I asked to switch assignments, the staff did not hesitate and were calling up different facilities that day which was nice. They really went above and beyond to make sure that I enjoyed my placement and experience in Ghana.

I would definitely recommend Projects Abroad to anyone looking for a respectable program to volunteer!

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 1
  • Laura
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Emmanuel College
    Teaching Project in Accra, Ghana
    10/24/2013

This was my second project with Projects Abroad. They take care of everything for you; arranging the airfare from your home city, picking you up at the airport with a friendly staff member clearly marked from Projects Abroad, and they bring you to safe and welcoming host family. The first full day that you're in your placement you are brought to store to buy a cell phone and add minutes to it so that you can contact the staff at any time day or night if you need to.

I felt very safe on this trip. You are also taken to the offices and brought to the place where you will be working on the mode of transportation ("tro-tros") and are instructed how to get there by having a staff member do it all with you.

I had never traveled abroad by myself before so these trips were very empowering, not only in the work I did but the independence and confidence I gained in myself.

In Accra, Ghana working in the school was just heart touching; teaching underprivileged children (who quite literally come off the streets) English and math skills who hardly could communicate with you was very rewarding and eye opening when they learn something from you in that short time you have with them. The teachers at the school were very helpful and grateful for the volunteers to spend one on one time with the kids. I gained lasting friendships with volunteers that I still communicate with them often and I can't wait to volunteer again.

How could this program be improved?

I would have the tro-tros paid for, the volunteers had to pay for their own tro-tros every day when going to work. It was very cheap, but it still was a daily expense.

• Victoria
    Austin, Texas
    Barry University
    Koforidua Medical Internship
    07/05/2013

The hospital I volunteered in gave me many opportunities to work and gain some medical experience. At first, I was timid and didn't put myself out there to doctors and nurses, causing me to not have much work to do. Then, I realized that if I just asked questions, offered to help, and kept busy, the hospital staff was happy to help and teach me. I learned how and was allowed to draw blood, test for sickle cell disease, take blood pressure, change surgical bandages, set up operation theaters, observe surgeries, and even scrub in/assist on a surgery! I gained so much knowledge about medicine and became excited about becoming a doctor again! At outreach, I helped bandage injured children and educate them about Malaria and hygiene so that they could lead healthier lives. Throughout the rest of my trip, I made many new friends, both local and from many parts of the world. I was immersed in a rich culture of music, family, religion, food, and friendliness that is unparalleled in the US. Projects Abroad provided me with support from the moment I first contacted them about joining the program until the time I arrived back home. They ensured that all of my documents were in order, travel arranged, and stay organized/fun/educational! I would recommend this program to ANYONE seeking a stress-free medical internship, cultural experience, or a combination of the two!

How could this program be improved?

The only small problem I had while abroad was that of budgeting. Before the trip, I was given a rough estimate of how much money to bring if a) i planned to travel on weekends or b) i planned not to travel. I was not informed initially that almost every volunteer travels every weekend, so I did not bring near enough money, and neither did many other volunteers. The only thing Projects Abroad could do better is inform volunteers of this before they depart for their placements.

• Ebo
    Germany
    Farming at Akuapem Hills
    02/28/2013

Projects Abroad, a very good example of subtle development work!

The offered projects seem to have a big impact to the local communities (which building schools, teaching and working at an orphanage has indeed), so you can satisfy your ego ("I did something very good in my free time!") and have a lot of fun as well.

The probably most important point in travelling abroad with Projects Abroad is that they didn't bring a lot of Europeans, Americans and whatever else to Ghana to organize everything but employed Ghanaians and gave them a job. Very good!

The Trip itself:
    I think if someone is unsure about travelling trough Africa, the best thing to do is travelling with Projects Abroad! The organization was perfect. They picked me up, brought me to my hostfamily, were avaiable 24/7 (believe me, if you are in trouble you will love Projects Abroad...) and managed everything else in a very professional way.

My host family was very kind (apart from my macho-behaving hostfather). To be honest, after reading a few reviews I have to say that Africa - not even Ghana or South Africa - can be compared with any "western" country. You have to accept, that you probably won't have running water, electricity and wifi or even internet. You are not travelling to a developed country!

My project:
    The farming project didn't seem to be really well organised but maybe I was in Ghana at a bad point of time. Our supervisor usually came late and I never got to know who will get the harvest. The work itself was hard, but I liked to do something "usefull" after 13 years of school.

To sum it up I can recommend Projects Abroad for young people who don't want to travel to Africa all alone.

• Muffi-Smurf
    Age: 25-30
    Accra, Ghana
    wast of time and money if you search for a serious internship
    02/24/2013

My time in Ghana was and still is a total disaster. This project is too expensive for the service they gave to the volunteers.

I was brought to my host family and left: nobody was explaining to me, which things (which kind of food, drinking stuff toilet paper, soap and things for cleaning...) you will get and which you have to buy by yourself; where and in which occasions you have to ask for this stuff; where you can get washing water etc. It was the same at my first day in the office I was just parked there: "Wait till the head of the office comes to pick you up" - That was 6 hours later and nobody was taking notice of me till that time. And after the short induction I had all the time problems in the office: nobody gave me work, I had to run around and search for it; nobody asked if I need help; nobody had explained how the computer systems were working, where I can get food, where do I have to go to take the firm car etc.

Some of the descriptions of the projects here in Accra are too much gloss-over. The same goes for the host families, too. Nowhere is written, that you regularly don't have power for 10-12 hours; our longest blackout was 35 hours and the intervals between the blackouts shortened from once a week to every second day! Then you have problem with the washing water in a few host families: sometimes you will never have running water in the washbasin and the toilet, not at all a shower. You have to wash with water from a tank and a small bucket. But there is a big difference in host families and you can't decide in which family you will go. Here the two extreme examples: in one host family they have great rooms, running water, electricity nearly all the time, Wifi and a cleaning lady. But the house is far away, you need a lot of time to go to work. In another host family you have to bag for everything - toilet paper, drinking water, jam, peanut butter etc. every time you run out. Nobody will ask if you have enough or bring it by him-/herself. One time the volunteers had no water for 3 days in that host family because they did not want to pay more for a man who brings the water earlier, so that the volunteers bought small water bags at the market to flush the toilet and to wash. Sometimes there is running water for a few hours on Saturdays but not longer - then the volunteers can fill up the tank themselves. So in the end there are very different conditions in the different host families. And what they don't tell you: you have to pay by yourself to go to work if you are too far away to walk to your placement. I think If volunteers pay such a fucking high amount of money to go work for free (!) somewhere, they must be treated like kings and queens, provided all with the same standard: good balanced food and different beverages, constant running water and electricity, reasonable rooms and the transport to the work placement!!!

And if you have problems the first thing they told you: you must be patient and understanding. It is a different culture here. Things need time and you have to adjust to live here. So please be patient and try to solve the problems by yourself. The Projects Abroad staff will help you, if you feel sick or if you are in big arguments at placement or in the host family but not if you feel unhappy or something like that. Then you have to be quite and calm and patient and try to solve the problems yourself. Only if you bother them every day with emails and messages there will be a reaction and a try to assist. But most of the time it seems to be half-hearted.

TO SUM UP: If you want to gain some overexpensive experiences in a foreign country without so much trouble in organizing and little working hours a week then Project Abroad is the right decision. If you want to gain experiences for your curriculum vitae and you a searching for a serious internship with a lot of work and appropriate results as well as a western-country standard accommodation for the lots of money you spend for the project you should try to organize the trip by yourself or search for a higher qualified volunteering/internship organization.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
    Response from Projects Abroad
    03/21/2013
    Thank you for your review of Projects Abroad although I'm sorry to read that you wouldn't recommend us. At Projects Abroad we pride ourselves at providing first rate support to our volunteers - we have over 60 members of staff in Ghana alone - so I was surprised to read that you felt the level of support was not up to your expectation. If you could let me know more information about what happened when you arrived I will definitely follow this up. We send nearly 2000 volunteers to Ghana every year and I think a large part of the appeal of volunteering in Ghana is that the country is still developing and that the infrastructure is basic and this means there's a lot of worthwhile and needy projects for volunteers to join. Unfortunately, occasional electricity cuts and water shortages have to be endured when volunteering in the developing world. Regarding your host family we do have measures in place to make sure there is standardisation amongst all our families. I'm sorry that you felt yours was worse than what other volunteers experienced. Please feel free to privately email me the name of your family and I will look into it further. You can send it to gregthomson@projects-abroad.co.uk Best wishes Greg Thomson Operations Director Projects Abroad
  • Kathrine
    Time of my life!
    02/22/2013

Volunteering in Ghana is the best i've ever done.
    I worked at a small Children's home for 4 months, where I took care of the small kids (0-4 years) and disabled kids. Sure, sometimes it was hard knowing how the kids future might look like, but when you start getting to know the kids, you realize it's all worth it, and that you are giving the kids a lot that actually can help them as they grow up. The kids love you, and all they want from you is kisses, hugs and love. And what ever you gave the kids, you would get back x 10.
    In my sparetime i hung out with the other volunteers at either wednesday meeting, where we had quiz nights, cooking lessons, played football/volleyball agains local schools or children's homes etc., and in the weekend the entire group often travelled around Ghana together - learning the people, language and culture.

What was important for me, was the people around me. My first week was hard due to the cultural shok, but the other volunteers and especially the local staff helped a lot. The staff really cares about you - if you fell homesick, you're always welcome with the staff, if you fell sick, they'll bring you to the doctor, and so on. They are there for you all the way, no matter what it is.

I would definitely travel with Projects abroad again.

How could this program be improved?

Projects Abroad is a bit expensive (but worth it, though).
    And the entire country (= also the staff) lives under Ghana time, which means that if you are supposed to meet up at 9am, you will probably still be early if you meet at 9:40am ;-)

• Kathrine
    Time of my life!
    02/22/2013

Volunteering in Ghana is the best i've ever done.

I would definitely travel with Projects abroad again.

How could this program be improved?

Projects Abroad is a bit expensive (but worth it, though).

• JDN
    Age: 18 or younger
    Paris, France.
    The best experience of my life
    02/21/2013

I went to Ghana for a month last July, and was only 17. I was a bit worry because of my age, however it was the best experience I never have, and I will never forget it. I worked in an orphanage in Accra. At the beginning, I was just playing with the little kids (4 to 6 years old), with the things I brought (color books, bubbles, ...). But I then decided to get more involved. First, I gave french lessons to older kids (16 to 18 years old) : they were my age and some of them were even older than me so that was quite disturbing, I didn't want them to think that I felt superior or anything, I just wanted to learn to know them, and to learn them about the french language and the french culture. It went perfectly well, and I'm happy I have learn them some french words, sentences and songs ! I also bring, with 4 other volunteers, 5 of the little kids to the beach. This was amazing : we went to the beach for an afternoon, just the kids and the volunteers, no member of the orphanage staff (which shows that they trust us totally). The kids almost never go there so they were really excited and had a lot of fun, and we brought them some cookies for the break so they were really really happy, which made us even happier.
    This trip had such an impact on me that I want to continue to help these kids as I can : I am doing presentations to students in my school, and i'm trying to raise money with cake sales for example. Then, I want to go back next summer to bring them the money I raised, some clothes, some games, and most of all to see the kids again. I miss them so much, I'm still dreaming of them sometimes.... They brought me so much more than I brought them.
    Projects Abroad was really great : they took care of us from the first day I registered to the day I left. They try to organize events so the volunteers get to know each others, with Pizza parties, Football cups, shows, etc.

The cost.

• Volunteer2011
    Ghana
    02/21/2013

Ghana is the most amazing place you an go with Projects Abroad, and the local staff are great. Due to being so far from home, you make friends for life with both the local people and the other volunteers

It might be a bit expensive

State College, PA
    Pennsylvania State University
    Care in Ghana
    09/23/2012

I spent two weeks in Accra, Ghana during the month of April. It was the first time I was traveling to Africa and I was nervous because I had no idea what it was going to be like. Projects Abroad helped me a lot before my trip, sending me e-mails with tips of things I should take with me, and answering all my questions, even the silly ones.

I got there on a Saturday night, around eleven and my first surprise was the warm weather! I knew it was going to be hot, but not that hot. It felt amazing! One of my favorite things out of that trip was the amazing weather. A driver picked me up and took me to my house. He was very nice and talked the whole way about things I should see, places I should visit and former volunteers. I was so excited! When I got to my house, I met the other volunteers who were all girls around my age. Along the trip, we became friends and I had so much fun with them!

During my first week, I worked at a school. It was a school for the neighborhood children, who had no money to go to the public schools that all the other children go to. I asked the other volunteer who worked with me at the school if it was expensive and she said it was around 15 dollars per year. 15 dollars per year!

The teaching I had to do was very simple, basic math and basic english. I loved doing it, and the kids were so sweet, they made it all worth it! on my last day at the school they had a dancing competition and it was so much fun watching them dance. I also met this girl, Abigail, who I fell in love with. I still think about her everyday, and wish more than anything I could bring her to live with me. I gave the kids all my stuffed animals, and they were so happy! It felt nice to give them what was once was so special to me, and see that priceless look on their faces. I worked for around three hours everyday, usually starting at 9 and ending at noon. Tuesday and Thursday I had the option of staying for long and helping with various activities the school offered after classes.

The second week I worked at an orphanage. I could choose how many hours I worked each day, and I usually stayed around 5-6 hours each day.It was sad to see all those kids without parents, without families, and it was hard to imagine how they felt. Amazingly enough though, they were always smiling, always laughing. That good energy that they had changed me, made me realized how petty our society is, how we are always complaining when we have everything. That was my favorite thing about Ghana, a country without luxury, without extra comfort, but with a population that is always smiling, always happy, always ready to wave when you walk by and sing and dance. I think everyone could learn with them.

It was an amazing experience, and it was only possible because of Projects Abroad and how organized and caring they are. They made me feel relaxed and safe during my stay. I recommend them to anyone who is thinking of taking a gap year, or having an experience abroad!

How could this program be improved?

I think that one thing that I wasn't bad, but was somewhat confusing was that, when I changed programs - from teaching to care- no one from Projects Abroad really explained to me what to do, or where to go, because one of the other volunteers in my house did the same project as me. It was okay because she taught me what I needed to know, but it would have been reassuring to have someone from Projects Abroad with me on my first day.

About the provider

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those taking a gap year or a career break. Visit the Projects Abroad website for more details on volunteer, teach, study and internship programs abroad.