Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Tanzania

Volunteer with group of kids
Volunteer with group of kids
Volunteer holding girl
Volunteer holding girl
Fellow volunteer Johnny and myself performing health checks with the Projects Abroad medical volunteers at a local orphanage.
Two volunteers, our supervisor Dr. Maganga and myself at Sinza Palestina Hospital in the minor surgery ward.
My friends and I during our 3 day safari at the Selous Game Reserve!

Projects Abroad offers a variety of volunteer programs in Tanzania including Teaching, Care, Sports, Building projects, as well as a Culture & Community program with the Maasai tribe.

We also offer internships to help you gain experience in your career of choice, including Microfinance, Law & Human Rights and Medical projects such as Nursing, Midwifery, General Medicine, and Dentistry.

Whether your placement is in Arusha or Dar es Salaam, this is a great opportunity to explore the wonders that East Africa has to offer.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from our local staff
  • Live and work in the local community
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Join Us On The Global Gap Year Of A Lifetime

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

This really is the opportunity of a lifetime! - We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Building Volunteer Work in Tanzania

Build classrooms and other school buildings for children in a Maasai community.

Volunteer Teaching English in Tanzania

Live in East Africa and gain practical experience by helping disadvantaged children learn English.

Volunteer Sports Coaching in Schools in Tanzania

Live and work in East Africa and coach sport at disadvantaged schools, helping children develop their fitness.

Volunteer with Children in Tanzania

Work on life skills and basic education with children in colorful and vibrant Tanzania.

Mariann

Humanitare work.

I went to Tanzania for tree weeks, together with my daughter, working in a private school in a village outside of Moschi. It was very interesting to see how they where teaching the kids, the languise was only Englisch, i think it would make more sence wen they explain the exercisis in Kishuaeli.
I was together with tree teachers, taking care of 40 kids between two and five years old. Even the smallest children was tought the letters, i would prefore if they would play more and learn that way!!
I had a lot of fun learning the kids to wasch hands after Toilet etc. Drinking water during the day, all kind of better hygieine avoing illness.
All teachers were very kind and open minded, very exited to hier how we do in Europe. And how we treat children, also talking about Childrens Right!!
The Family we were living with, was the most lovely people you can think of. Me and my daughter had a great time, i really apriciate having this fantastic expirience together with her. The hold journie was an extraordinary expierience and i higly can recoment Project Abroad as an Organisation, i would choose them again.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Marianne,
Thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time away with us on Care Project in Tanzania. Our staff and the local community really appreciate the time and effort that you invested into achieving our long term goals. You will be welcomed with open arms upon your return!

Emilia

Nursing volunteer work

I spent 2 months as a medical volunteer in Arusha. Work at St. Elizabeth hospital was very challenging, but it gave me personally so much experience and a new way to look at the world we live in.
They gave me a lot of work and I got free hands to work with the patients as I was trained in school back in Finland.
I also got local students of my own that I got to teach, this was very educational for me.
I worked in medical ward for one week which gave me a lot of knowledge about the local sicknesses such as malaria, HIV and AIDS. After this I got to work in maternity ward with pregnant women, which I enjoyed a lot. I also spent some time at pediatric ward, but I decided to go back to maternity ward for my last weeks. Here I got my own clinic room where I got to work with European standards.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Emilia,
It sounds like you’ve had a fantastic time away on our Nursing project in Tanzania. The effort that you put into the project was admirable; you are truly appreciated by the local community and Projects Abroad. We’ll see you soon on another project or Internship!

Michelle

First time

My experience with projects abroad was amazing. It was my first trip alone and was very excited. I am glad to have done this. The work I did made me feel that I did helped other people. Would like to do it another time!
I did a building project for about three weeks. The first weekend was quite a culture shock but hey I got used to it very quickly. I got that weekend a mini tour around town and a quick look at the building project that i would be working from. The other people working there, were also at my host family, so it was really nice to already know some people. My first building day was heavy but very statisfying. I had a small meal together with the little kids from that school. Nice experience! And ofcourse, I had time in the weekends to see some things from Tanzania itself!

Some people have a hard time paying for the trip etc. So maybe take that in account! But for the rest, excellent program.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the Building project in Tanzania. Your effort was not only appreciated by us but, by the local community. We look forward to having you on another project or Internship in the near future!

Myrthe

Incredible experience

The medicine project I did with Projects Abroad in Tanzania was one of the most incredible experiences in my life. I was a medical volunteer in the St. Elizabeth Hospital in Arusha. My working days would be from 08.30 to 14.00, and I would go on rounds with the local doctors. My way of helping in the hospital would be taking up a nurses' role, so taking blood pressure, vitals, helping the patients move around the hospital, etc. Apart from (at least trying my best at) helping the community, I think Projects Abroad makes sure the experience is fantastic for its volunteers as well. They organise workshops about the Tanzanian language and culture, as well as workshops about tropical diseases, stitching workshops, etc. They'll help you organise (safari) trips, hikes, the list goes on. They care a lot about helping us understand the cultural differences, which makes the volunteering easier and more effective.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
For me the most surprising/amazing thing I saw when I was in Tanzania was a Cesarian Section in the hospital.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Myrthe,
I’m happy to hear about your fantastic time away with us on our High School Specials Medicine project in Tanzania. Great things are achieved when volunteers join our global community. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated not just by us but by the local community. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Lauren

Tanzania volunteer

I absolutely loved my 2 weeks in Tanzania. The project was so well organised and I appreciate all the little things in life so much more now! Plus the food cooked by the hosts is amazing and you meet some great friends for life from many different countries! I spent time educating the children in the morning and playing with them on the fields. In the afternoon we renovated the orphanage rooms, the toilets and the showers. I was so glad to have left my mark on the wonderful school that accepted us in for two weeks. The people who took care of us were so kind and helpful from everting money out, transporting us and just being someone to talk to if we had any worries. My biggest memory is how positive and smiley the children were even though they had so little

Bring lots of snacks in case you don’t like the food. I’m not fussy so loved it all but some people spent a fortune on snacks over there as they didn’t eat the meals cooked
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Lauren,
It sounds like you had an amazing time (I can’t say we're surprised!). Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with our global community. We’re so happy that you enjoyed High School Specials,
Care & Community project in Tanzania. We look forward to seeing you again on one of our projects or Internships!

Zoe

Projects Abroad Tanzania

The human rights team at projects abroad Tanzania were more than accommodating and the work you do is actively beneficial to the women in the community. Remember to bring a laptop as this is crucial to the work. Irene makes it easy for you to get settled in and there is a wealth of information provided to you on arrival to learn about Tanzanian law. Salma house, the host family I stayed with were lovely and very welcoming. The organisation have social dinners every Thursday which is a good way to meet people that you may not necessarily be working with. All people from all projects come together on this day and the community day. The community day is a great way to try something new and experience a different project. This takes part the last Friday of every month. Arusha is a lovely town with lots of cafes and restaurants and day trips.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would change how long I went for. I went for 5 weeks instead I would try to go a couple months or even longer.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Zoe,
I am happy to hear that you had a great experience with the Project Abroad team. Your amazing effort into the Human Rights Project in Tanzania is hugely appreciated. Let’s start planning your next Projects Abroad adventure!

Manon

Chose Project's Abroad!

I joined the building project in Tanzanie, Arusha this year from March to June and those were the best three months in my life. I learned more from the people there than I could have ever imagined. building a dinning hall for maasai children was as challenging and beautiful as it was. to see those children everyday being happy, smiling at you, playing with you warmed my heart in a way I can't even describe. i learned what physical work means there and I even learned some things and I am pretty confident that I could now renovate a house myself with the things I learned. i would recommend everyone to go volunteer with project abroad because not only to they guide you every step of the way, they also ensure your safety and that you have a good time. you get intergrated into that community immediately and feel like you belong. i could write a whole book about all the things that I experienced but thanks to my volunteering experience I found out what I want to do in my future and am now a student and sadly don't have time yet to write my whole experience down. but if anyone wants to go volunteer and doesn't know with which organisation I can only recommend projects abroad and I checked every organisation before I chose them and I have never regretted my decision. not only is it an eye opening experience, where you learn and laugh like never before, you also meet some of the most amazing people in this world from all around the world!

whatever you do, there is no need to stress or worry about it. before I left I was having nervous breakdowns because I never left Europe and never was away from home for so long but you can do it and it is even easy. you can't compare it to anything else but it will only make you grow as a person and you are supported throughout your whole journey so don't be scared from the journey, the place or the people and go with an open mind and open heart because you will get surprised every day in the best way possible.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Manon,
Thanks for your great review. We strive to meet expectations like yours, we’re happy to hear that we hit the mark for you. Thank you for your contribution towards our ongoing Building project in Tanzania – your help is really appreciated. We hope to see you again on one of our projects!

Charlotte

Arusha in my haert!

Hi everyone!
I would like to share all my adventures I experienced in Arusha, but this would take me to long.
I was lucky to meet great woman groups, they were very interested in the trainings we have. Our project leader Elisabeth is doing a great job! As volunteer I felt instantly welcome at the office of projects abroad in Arusha. They showed me everything around the city, which made me feel very safe. The organisation was well-arranged and my hostfamily was great (they are a second family for me) I met a very nice project partner with whom I’m still in touch with... She’s going back this year, I couldn’t go back this year, but will try to make it next year for sure. To all who are still hesitating to go to Arusha: I would like to advice STOP HESITATING AND LET YOURSELF GO 🇹🇿

You can’t really prepare yourself for this experience. I would advice to go openminded.
Dimitri

Teaching in the Masai Lands

Tanzania is full of culture and excitement. The teaching project with projects abroad was truly an amazing and heart warming experience. You can always leave Africa, but Africa will never leave you. Forever engrained in my heart!

School commences with prepping the classrooms, washing the children’s hands and assembly. The assembly was a personal favourite moment of mine. Listening to the kids sing their school song, national anthem and another song that makes you want to become a kid again. The children are all standing in their class lines, designated by baby class, middle class and upper class. Which is assigned to them depending on their level of progression within the school.

Numbers, ABC’s, Animals, Colours and Shapes are the go-to’s for the first session. Walking the children through a variety of fun and engaging activities. There are a few class clowns that keep everyone entertained, but we avoid any playtime to occur in the classroom. Having the kids practice what we teach them, is essential to the success of the class. Repetition, repetition, repetition…

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
To have more time teaching the children - never enough
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Dimitri,
I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time on Teaching project in Tanzania. Thank you for the effort you put into the project. It is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review. It really does help build the Projects Abroad Global Family. We hope to see you on one of our projects again!

Kate

Most incredible experience

After my first year of medical school, I knew I wanted to do a volunteer project abroad but wasn’t sure where or how I would go about it. Then, at my school, one of our faculty advisors told us about Projects Abroad and how they had a program in Tanzania that aligned directly with my goals for a volunteer project: working at a local hospital, leading local outreach medical clinics, and getting to experience culture and learn about diseases endemic to the region.
Our hospital assignment was St. Joseph Hospital in Moshi, a government-owned hospital located about 5 minutes’ drive from our lodge. We were able to assist the doctors with simple procedures, observe surgeries, take blood pressure and vital signs, and go on rounds with physicians in the different wards. I got to watch 2 C-sections on the very first day at the hospital! During our time there, we saw the male and female wards, the labor ward, the pediatric ward, as well as the laboratories, pharmacy, and outpatient rooms.
In the afternoons, we would either go back to the hospital or have a culture class back at the Projects Abroad office. Over the 3 weeks I was there, we received lecturers on HIV and AIDS in Tanzania, a Swahili lesson, discussion of healthcare in Tanzania, maternal-fetal health in Africa, and we got a chance to meet with Tanzanian medical students and learn about their experiences. On our last night, we even had a cooking class in the office kitchen!
On the days we weren’t in the hospital, we led small outreach programs in the local communities. The community outreaches were a chance for us to really work one-on-one with patients. Because we weren’t in a hospital shadowing a doctor, it was up to us as medical students to organize patients, take blood pressure and vital signs, and even do finger sticks for rapid HIV and malaria tests. I thoroughly enjoyed these outreaches because they allowed us to have hands-on experience examining patients with a little more autonomy than at the hospital.
On the weekends we got to travel around Tanzania and see the beautiful countryside as well as other nearby cities. We toured local markets, hiked to a waterfall in Materuni village, got to make fresh coffee from coffee plants, hike around the base of Mt Kilimanjaro, go to craft shops and markets, and go on a day-long safari at Tarangire National Park. I wasn’t expecting to make as great of friends as I did while in Moshi, and the experience was so positive that I am planning to take a trip back for more medical volunteering in the future. I couldn’t have had a better experience volunteering with Projects Abroad!

Maybe having more free time - but the staff was very flexible and willing to work with us on this!
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Kate: It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Tanzania! We are glad you enjoyed being part of our Medicine & Healthcare project - there is indeed much to learn and observe in hospitals in developing countries! We are sure that this is an experience that you will treasure for the rest of your life.
Our staff works very hard so our volunteers are always busy so they can make the most of out of their time abroad but we agree that social activities or excursions are also an important part of the experience.
Thanks for sharing!

Amanda

High School Special Medical Program in Arusha, Tanzania

I have always had a passion for science. As a high school student, I decided to use my Semester Break to discover whether medicine was what I wanted to do I my future. I found the Projects Abroad program online and after a lot of research, found the perfect program for me: spend two weeks in Tanzania where I would learn about the basics of medicine while engaging with the culture of the place and doing volunteer work. Gaining support from the Projects Abroad staff from the moment I signed up until the moment I came back home, I couldn't be in better hands. With the help of their websites, calls with my supervisors and advise sessions with past volunteers, I felt secure and confident about the trip - even though it was the first time I was travelling internationally by myself.

I stayed at The Haus accommodation, where the staff was exceptionally kind and helpful, and where I could meet volunteers like me from all over the world. For two weeks, we became like a family, which helped us all with the culture shock. Today I still have contact with all of them and also with our amazing supervisor, Daniella, who I could not be more grateful for having on this trip.

This program actually overcame my expectations. It made me not only discover that medicine is what I want to do in the future, but also allowed me to seriously engage with the country's culture and live memorable experiences. We would have workshops about medicine and visits to hospitals to experience what we learned in first hand, as well as workshops about the Tanzanian culture, cuisine and art, which were all really interesting. There were even trips to the Tarangire National Park (my first safari ever!) and the Mount Meru Waterfalls on the weekend. The most unique experience for me was to visit the Maasai Village, where I had the amazing opportunity to see their traditional celebrations (jumping ceremony and drinking goat's blood -
yes you read it right : goat's blood ) and to engage with such a culturally rich African tribe. That is one of the reasons why I say this program made me more of a risk - taker and open minded person, which are benefits for a lifetime.

I am not the same person I was before participating in the High School Special Medical Program in Tanzania. It was the best experience I have ever had so far, and my regret was not living this experience for longer - I just wish I had chosen the four weeks program instead of the two weeks one. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to become more culturally rich, knowledgeable and open - minded, and to who wishes to gain new perspectives about the world we live in while helping others.

We had a little bit of problems with our accommodations' toilet and shower, which were in poor conditions. Sometimes we would also not have enough food as we would like. Maybe that could be improved.
Read my full story
Rebecca

Incredible Experience

I volunteered in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. My time in Dar was the best experience of my life. I think back on my time there every single day of my life. My host mother was the sweetest woman I've ever met. I actually called her "Mama", because that's what she was to me. Her housekeeper was lovely as well. Our meals were fresh and unique every day. The relationship I formed with them truly touched my heart and I plan on visiting them again.

The staff in Dar were constantly working hard to ensure we got the most out of our experiences. Anytime, day or night, they were available. If we had any issues with anything, they were immediately there to help. They also encouraged us to get to know the culture and we were invited to participate in several events at the office to help us do this.

My roommate is now one my dearest friends. She and I bonded instantly. We did everything together when we were not at work. The other volunteers were also incredible. We had our own little family on an entire different continent! We have all kept in touch and plan on getting together at some point in the near future.

Alana

Leaving My Heart in Tanzania

My project was the perfect combination of volunteer work, cultural immersion, and travel. Living with a host family created an environment where I was truly allowed to live the local life--I ate African food for every meal, practiced Swahili with my host family, and gossiped with the house girl while she would braid my hair. I lived with another volunteer, my new Japanese sister, who I would ride the daladala (Tanzanian public transportation) with to work, the Maasai Market, and the office. The staff at the Projects Abroad office in Tanzania was always incredibly helpful and welcoming to all of us. On the weekends, the other volunteers and I viewed amazing animals on safaris, laid on the beaches of Zanzibar, hiked Mount Meru, and swam in the Hot Springs. I made connections with people I’ll consider friends and family for the rest of my life.

Next, I couldn’t imagine how much I would fall in love with my work placement. At the orphanage, there were about 60 children with ages ranging from three to nine and only two teachers. Projects Abroad also has a child database so that volunteers are able to monitor and track benchmarks for the children at the orphanages. This allows for consistency despite volunteer turnover. I was placed in the middle classroom with the older students and immediately worked to adapt to their daily routine. We always began the classroom with ten minutes of song and dance and despite seeing it almost every day for a month, it never stopped being cute. The teacher would write the lesson on the board and I would help the children who were struggling and grade their work when they were finished. We would then have break where all the students would play together and I never once found myself alone. Whether I was getting my hair braided by the older kids, holding a younger one on my hip, or playing “Muziki” and dancing with them all, I kept busy. Everything about my placement I fell in love with; the children, teachers, cook, chickens, all of it.

The only improvement I would recommend is for the cost to include the transportation and food for the weekly social dinners between the volunteers. One day a week, Projects Abroad will organize a social dinner but the volunteers must pay for themselves. These dinners are a fantastic idea but the volunteers who are a little tight on money have some problems attending them.
Eric

What an expierence

My experience in Arusha, Tanzania was amazing. To start my project was very educating and enabled me to practice many of the techniques that I have been observing. I was used heavily to take the heavy burden off of the limited staff. I was able to watch and assist with several births and help for extensive hours in the baby clinic. Overall, I am leaving the experience much more knowledgable about women's health and skilled at managing large groups of individuals. In terms of my accommodations and host family, both were amazing. My host family was located very close to the city so I didn't have to travel far to do anything or go to work in the morning. I was also located very close to the other volunteers so I got to spend a vast amount of time with them and gained so many new friends. The food in my household was very traditional yet as a picky eater sometimes I did not like the food. But if I asked for something different then the maids would make something to my liking. The best part of the experience and one that probably made the opportunity go so smooth was how helpful the Projects Abroad staff were. I arrived very late at night yet a Projects Abroad staff member was at the airport to meet me and answer all of my questions that night as well as they all followed up numerous times ensuring that I was comfortable in every setting. Overall the experience was remarkable. What an experience

By letting volunteers be located in the maternal ward more, i was in the baby clinic too much
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Eric! We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience in your volunteer project in Tanzania! Our local staff is always happy to help our volunteers get installed and continue to check up on you to ensure everything is going smoothly. Thank you for joining us, hope to see you again soon in another one of our projects!

Taylor

Projects Abroad Medical Volunteer in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

My 4 weeks in Dar es Salaam were the greatest experience of my life. My only regret is not staying for longer! The staff at Projects Abroad was phenomenal- they arranged a great homestay and medical placement, made sure I felt safe and comfortable, and were truly invested in me having a positive experience. They always checked in to make sure I felt safe commuting to the hospital, was eating enough and staying hydrated. They also assisted in transportation to and from the airport, with packing, and with organizing weekend trips.

At the hospital, I was in the minor surgery ward, where I assisted in a variety of minor surgical procedures alongside Dr. Maganga and his nursing staff at Sinza Palestina Hospital. After two weeks, additional volunteers joined me, and as a group we gained the confidence to assist as much as possible. The staff was gracious for our assistance and were happy to answer any questions we had. We all saw procedures that we would never see in the United States and had the opportunity to assist with procedures that we could have only dreamed of.

During the weekends, my friends and I traveled to Zanzibar and the Selous Game Reserve for a 3 day safari. We also went out to dinner, explored the city and learned about the culture surrounding us. The friends I made will remain in my life forever.

I learned a vast amount of knowledge medically and culturally, never felt safer, and miss Tanzania daily. I am looking forward to participating in another Projects Abroad trip this spring before I begin graduate school and remain in contact with my friends, supervising physician and Projects Abroad staff to this day!

They could suggest that 4 weeks may not be enough, depending on the person's travel experience. They could highly suggest that new volunteers reach out to past volunteers to get advice, knowledge, and a sense of comfort before they leave for their trip.
Read my full story