Help us Preserve & Save the Amazon Rainforest in Peru!

🌍 Discover the award-winning Taricaya Ecological Reserve ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 Available from 1 to 52 weeks

Wake up to the sounds of the jungle & explore the beauty of the Amazon rainforest. On our rainforest conservation program, you'll work with our team of experts to help rehabilitate wild animals & preserve this unique ecosystem for future generations.

Discover more & Apply!

Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Argentina

One of the many cultural trips we took.
One of the many cultural trips we took.
Volunteers paint hands onto their wall mural at a public hospital
Volunteers paint hands onto their wall mural at a public hospital
Equine Therapy in Argentina
Equine Therapy in Argentina
	French Projects Abroad animal care volunteer pets a fox who has been living in the Pumakawa animal reserve for two years
Female volunteer with children in a care project in Argentina
Female volunteer with children in a care project in Argentina
Stacked stones for the Pachamama in the Cordillera de Humahuaca in Argentina's Northern mountain desert region
A patient bonds with a dog at a canine therapy placement in Argentina
A patient bonds with a dog at a canine therapy placement in Argentina

Projects Abroad has been sending volunteers overseas since 1992. Our volunteer placements in Argentina involve Teaching, Care, Sports, Farming, Veterinary Medicine, and Spanish language. As a volunteer in Argentina you will have a direct impact local communities through service projects arranged and coordinated by expect in-country staff.

We also offer Internships in Medicine, Dentistry, Occupational Therapy, Journalism, and Human Rights.

We hope you will consider joining one of our volunteer programs in Argentina today! You won't regret it.

Hi Asma! 15 year-olds can join us in our High School Specials, and we do have several available in Argentina. You can see the full list here: https://www.projects-abroad.org/volunteer-projects/high-sch…
Yes, most projects don't require any previous experience to join as long as you are at least 16 years old. It would depend on the project you are interested in though.
Hi Carmen! Kyle is right, you can absolutely join us at your age! We have had many volunteers in your age group joining us in the past. Our Standard programs don't have an upper age limit so you are welcome to join. However, if you wish to volunteer in a group around people your own age, we do offer what we call "Grown Up Specials", which are exclusive for volunteers above the age of 50. I hope...
I took a look at their site, and most volunteers are 18-25 years old. Many of their projects also do not require any local language experience. Here's the link for more details: http://www.projects-abroad.org/how-it-works/faqs/

Vanesa-Sindi

Volunteer Medicine and Healthcare in Argentina

Volunteered in a paediatric hospital in Córdoba, Argentina. Worked in various departments, such as A&E and dermatology. This was a great opportunity for me to sharpen my intra-personal skills, like communication and problem solving, since I worked within teams in an environment, which is very different both economically and culturally to the one in the UK. Also, I built quite a lot of practical experience, which helped me build my CV.

As the healthcare system in Argentina is quite different to the one in the UK, many people who are on the poverty line struggle to afford basic healthcare and by the time those patients are seen by specialists, the disease is at an advanced stage, which would not be observable in the UK. Therefore, you would be able to see many communicable diseases at advanced stages.

During your time in Argentina, you will be placed in a local host family, where you can meet other volunteers. Argentina is a very beautiful country and there are plenty of places to explore and travel around, sights like the Iguazú waterfall found on the boarder with Brazil or historical sights like Che Guevara's local house.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would travel more around the country, as Argentina is a beautiful country which can offer a lot!
Selene

Maternity Hospital Argentina

For 6-months I volunteered with Projects Abroad in Argentina. During the day I worked in a materinty hospital and once a week in a children hospital, additonally, twice a week in the afternoon, I thought adults english. Projects Abroad supported me in every step of the journey, including changing host families, looking for more volunter opportunities and for activities to do on the weekend. During my time I was never bored and enjoyed every minute of my experience to the fullist. Even when times got rough and I was sick Projects Abroad was there for me and a staff member brought me to the hospital any waited with me at 3 am in the morning for 4 hours. If you are looking for an amzing opportunity to volunteer, I can only recommend Projects Abroad.

Anna Lea

New world, new perspectives!

I spent less than 2 months in Cordoba, Argentina, volunteering in the children's hospital Niño Jesus (in the medical program) and in the girls' jail and foster home (human rights program). A part from the practical sides of my experience, it's been certainly life-changing for me, I was blocked in that moment of life, couldn't get ahead with my studies or figure out what else I'd want to do. This cultural exchange (for me it's mostly this aspect I value after 4 years) allowed me to shift perspectives on the world and on my life, and helped me to move on. Besides blessing me with incomparable longterm friendships: I'm regularly in contact with my host-mother who has become like an overseas aunt to me and I have to dear friends that I still meet up with once in a while. But of course the human aspect is also a question of good luck, as always.

As far as the volunteering work is concerned I have mixed feelings: the medical "internship" was not so exciting for me, coming from medical school most things weren't new to me and the aspect I loved most was the interaction with patients, observing the social and cultural habits of the families. I wasn't able to do anything practical, but that is normal in hospitals where nobody knows you.
Therefore I'd recommend the medical program mostly for whom has just graduated high school and is curious about the environment. Just know that you'll only get to watch.

That's also the reason for which I especially loved the work with the girls, both in the foster home and in juvie: we organized games to play, dance sessions, we taught the older ones how to write a CV and we always brought Coke and snacks. I loved spending time with them , learning about their stories and struggles and thinking that I had made their afternoon a bit brighter.

Regarding the ProjectsAbroad team I must say that they were all welcoming and helpful in explaining public transportation, how to get around from our home to our "workplace" and they were available at any hour of the day if we were having problems or doubts.
(I spent my first night at the airport because my tutor got my arrival date wrong on his agenda - but as I said, you need luck and you don't always get some. I didn't get much sleep but nothing bad happened to me, he was dreadfully sorry, over a hot cup of coffee we had a laugh about it and I had my first good story to tell).
Once a week they organized a "social night" (dinner, bowling, cooking class, etc) which was great to get to know volunteers of other programs and get to know the nightlife of the city a little better.
These get-togethers were also a perfect occasion to plan our 1 or 2-day bus trips for the weekends. In those occasions I've been to Buenos Aires (tango), Mendoza (winetasting), Salta (trip to the salt desert) , horse-riding in La Cumbre, hiking in Villa General Belgrano - with the night bus you can actually get quite far.

In conclusion I'd like to urge everybody who has the possibility to travel far, be curious, work with locals, talk to all kinds of people, challenge yourself and overcome your worries about what you could or couldn't be able to do. You have to give it a chance in order to find out! Whatever may happen and whomever you encounter, you'll always go home richer, more openminded and closer to being a "citizen of the world", what we should all aspire to become these days, at least in my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure!

The briefing of host families. It was not my case, but some of my fellow volunteers didn't get the regular meals they had payed for and were tolerated rather than welcomed into their temporary homes.
As may of the volunteers are quite young (19-20 y) and a journey like this is their first big experience abroad, I would invite the organization to be more careful about the choice of hosts, in order to make sure that they are able to give the necessary support (both material and emotional) to these young and keen adventurers.
Anneke

Human Rights Internship in Cordoba, Argentina

I had a great experience in Cordoba, Argentina, and I would recommend it again! I stayed in Cordoba for ten weeks as a human rights intern.

The human rights internship is good for any age or professional level, as it is flexible. We participated regularly in three to four main activities, but we often went to other events and were asked to create our own research projects. My favorite regular thing we did was act as peer mentors for young women in a correctional facility, and my favorite event was marching on International Women's Day in favor of safe, legal abortions and to bring awareness to femicide.

Cordoba is a good city to live in for volunteers with tighter budgets like myself. The city is centered in the Sierra mountains, so there are LOTS of places with day-trip potential nearby, and the buses were inexpensive and reliable. My favorite trips involved hiking--Capilla del Monte and Las Cascadas. In Cordoba, there are art fairs, street performances, and events all the time, as well as some really good art museums.

I would definitely recommend that volunteers brush up on their Spanish! I went with very little, and I was not able to afford PA's Spanish lessons, so I relied mostly on immersion to learn. I learned quite a bit, anyone like me with little Spanish would be able to do it and have a great experience--however having a better grip on the language will give you a more dynamic experience overall. Having spent two and a half months in Argentina I am motivated to learn more Spanish, so that my next experience will be even better. I am planning on taking Spanish when I start school next fall.

I genuinely recommend this project for anyone looking into human rights work as a career, like me. It gives a good, in-depth look at work in the non-profit sector. Additionally, Argentina's past struggles with human rights in the 1970s and 80s gave me context for everything we were working on--it is a good country to learn in and from if you need an introduction to human rights advocacy.

There are parts of the main activities in my project that could have been streamlined to be more effective, however I understand that this partially due to our very new volunteer coordinator (who was really good, even though she was just hired) getting used to the position--in fact, as I was getting ready to leave the coordinator and other volunteers were planning how they could improve the project.
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Anneke. It sounds like you had a great time in Argentina! There is so much to learn and observe first hand about human rights in this internship so we are glad to hear you were so involved and inspired to even write your own essays. We are sure that this will be an experience that is set to mark your professional path.
Indeed, we are always working hard to innovate and improve our programs and their design so we always welcome volunteers' feedback. Thanks for yours!

Kyle

More appropriately titled Volun-tourism

The marketing for this program is slightly misleading. The descriptions portray an in-depth and first-hand experience working with doctors. Unfortunately this is not the case, most of the work was observational. To be fair, unless you are a trained medical professional, I wouldn't want you making decisions about my health either. The program does put you in the hospital, and for a go-getter personality, you can interact with the doctors; asking questions, learning about the healthcare system, and the public health concerns of the community. I found that aspect incredibly rewarding.

Everything is in Spanish, you don't need to be confident, but it helps if you can put together sentences. After spending two months there my ability to listen to Spanish increased tremendously. The Projects Abroad Staff do speak English, but why deny yourself this great opportunity. The first time I realized I was having a conversation and not 'thinking' about the words was an amazing moment!

As of the time this post is written, the medical program is not a high level of time commitment (only half day). The current coordinator is working to augment the community service component and opportunities to make more busy work. I found the people of Cordoba to be very friendly and easy to make friends. Additionally, if you have the motivation, you can find additional ways to get involved with the community (for example, I was working with AIDS Health Foundation Argentina). There is always something to do, and the night life is insane (starts at 2AM goes till 6AM)!

The program does offer housing, insurance, and guaranteed food from your host family. However, the traditional style foods or Argentina lack variety. After a few weeks, your flavor palate will crave something different, so be prepared because sometimes you may want to treat yourself to ice cream, beer, coffee, or a full-dinner.

Lastly the tourism part, it is very much doable, at your own expense. The country is HUGE and there is a lot to see. The most cost effective means of travel is bus, but expect half-a-day journey just to arrive. If you choose to fly the cost adds up, but it can be very quick. I choose to do a bus overnighter as the seats are semi-cama (half-beds) and lay flatter than an economy airplane seat. This saved on the cost of hotel for a night and mitigated travel times.

More opportunities for the Medical Volunteers to learn medicine practices. More workshops or talks.
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Kyle.

We are happy to hear that overall your experience was satisfactory and that you were able to learn from the doctors you were interacting with. We regret if there was any confusion as to what to expect in your program. We do take honesty very seriously in all of our marketing efforts and work very hard to depict our programs accurately. We make sure to inform all volunteers who sign up for medical projects that the work we offer is observational and a learning experience from qualified doctors. Hands-on work with patients can never be guaranteed as volunteers are not qualified doctors, just like you point out in your post. In short, volunteers are able to do anything that you would legally be allowed to do here in the US.

To add even more value to the medical projects in Argentina we have already implemented more hours at the hospitals and more outreaches in different communities.

Thank you for your feedback!

Emily

Volunteering In Argentina

I had a great experience in Argentina with Projects Abroad. They were very helpful and easy to reach out to if I ever needed anything. I met some other volunteers who I worked with throughout my stay so it was really cool to be able to get to know people from other parts of the world. I also had some free time everyday after my volunteering in which I explored some of the city a little bit everyday. I enjoyed being able to have that free time outside of volunteering.

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Emily. Sounds like you had a great time in Argentina! Making friends from around the world is one of the perks of volunteering abroad. Hopefully you can stay in touch with them and visit them soon. Thanks for sharing!

Suma

2 Weeks in Argentina

Volunteering in Cordoba, Argentina through Projects Abroad was an amazing experience! I specifically chose to go to Argentina because I had prior interest in Spanish and South American culture. Growing up as a huge football fan, I idolized Messi and was immediately drawn to Argentina when I found that they had the placement I wanted. My project was a two week high school special for medicine and spanish. By being in a high school special, my parents were reassured that I would be safe at all times, and I was also relieved that I would be with others since I came to Argentina knowing very little Spanish. Projects Abroad staff was amazing, and all of my questions before and during my trip were answered promptly.
I was picked up at the hospital and taken to my host family. Even with my minimal spanish knowledge, I was comfortable and became friends with my fellow volunteers. The doctors I shadowed were kind, and I learned a lot during my time there. Also, we did many outside activities such as salsa dancing and shopping at the flea market that made me connect to local Argentinian culture. I found my trip to be meaningful and still one of the greatest things I’ve done.
Volunteering abroad teaches you the differences between American culture and other cultures. Even in hospitals, I can now appreciate the advances the United States has compared to developing countries, and I will take this knowledge with me as I continue into college and further studies. Everyone that entered with an open mind succeeded in Argentina. Overall, I would definitely recommend volunteering through Projects Abroad. While it was expensive, I felt that the experience was meaningful and worth the money. Time really flew by but I loved every day I spent there.

I would've loved to stay in Argentina a little longer, but a 2 week program was good for a high schooler. In the future I will do a longer program.
Durant

Medical Program review

During my time at Projects abroad, I had the opportunity to both participate in the medical project, and partially the human rights project. This was not my first time going abroad, however if it had been, I would have found the support staff of projects abroad to be more than sufficient. One of the nicest things to have when traveling is someone to meet and guide you from the airport. Projects abroad staff was there from the beginning at the airport and helped to get me comfortable with the city of Cordoba. While I interacted with my mentor during the medical project every day, it was rare to actually coordinate something during my six weeks with the medical staff at projects abroad. This was probably due to being the only medical volunteer for around 4 weeks. My normal day consisted of waking up around 7 and being by the bus stop around 730. Arriving at the hospital around 830, I would then observe 2-3 operations, and ask questions whenever I liked. Afterwards I would go home where my family would have lunch ready for me. During the night, I would then be free to do as I like. Often that would be going on to participate in the human rights project, where we would interact with homeless populations. This was often one of my favorite times because it meant I was able to interact with the local population in a new way. The projects abroad staff with the human rights project were extremely active with the activities. This actually was one of my favorite parts of my time in Argentina. Other volunteers were interesting to interact with as they brought many other perspectives, cultures, and languages to the table. The time spent with them felt much like the time on my exchange. The culture of argentina was also interesting to interact with as an American, and I learned a lot about how to be more relaxed with my time. It was also an adaptation to become accustomed the food or Argentina, which is very different to that in the US. Overall, it was a great experience, and I learned a lot about my future career, and own culture during my time with Projects abroad.

If there was more outreach into the community by the medical staff.
Anna

Human Rights & Law in Argentina

I loved the month that I got to spend in Cordoba, Argentina working on the High School Special Law & Human Rights. We focused on two main projects- working with an NGO that works with the homeless of Cordoba to express themselves creatively as well as a residential care center for boys. Both of these activities were very meaningful. Some of my favorite memories from the trip were getting to meet the people at both of these activities, for example, working with one homeless man to create a poem or playing soccer at the park with the boys. I felt like, even though we were only in high school, we were still able to make a real difference with the help of our coordinators. In addition to these projects, another main aspect of our project was learning about human rights, particularly in Argentina. We got to learn about the dictatorship period in Argentina, and we even got the opportunity to visit two detention centers and speak to a survivor from one of them, which was an amazing experience. We also took daily Spanish lessons, got to live with a host family to further improve our Spanish and did several activities such as cooking and dancing lessons as well as visited several interesting places such as Che Guevara's house and beautiful mountainside hikes to learn more about the local culture. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it!

Jillian

Alternative Spring Break 2016

My Project Abroad trip was unfortunately only a week long. I think it was the best experience I could have asked for. I feel very lucky to have been part of this program. We spent 4 days shadowing a doctor and watching surgeries in a local hospital which was an amazing experience. We also spent a day in an underprivileged community performing diabetes screenings to help raise awareness. Probably my favorite day involved dissection of a cadaver at a local anatomy museum. The projects abroad staff was there every step of the way to help with anything we needed. I think that if you are the edge of applying for this program, you should. It was one of the best weeks of my life and was worth every cent.

I would've gone longer.
Marina

Great Projects Abroad experience!

I chose the medical volunteering project in Argentina, and haven't looked back since! It was a wonderful experience, and my only regret is not staying longer! Volunteering in the hospital isn't particularly hands on if you're not a medical student or don't have medical experience (obviously), but you do get hands-on experience in community education aspects. I also volunteered in the human rights area as well, which was extremely hands on and very rewarding. There is also a lot of flexibility, which I really enjoyed. During the week, we were able to explore Cordoba, and during the weekend, we were able to explore Argentina, and even some other countries like Chile and Uruguay! I had the most incredible experience, and would absolutely do it all again if I had the chance.

Lower cost
Shelby

My Argentinan Medical Family

Even with the lack of resources, and increased obstacles, the doctors continued to be extremely passionate in providing the best care possible. They would often take time to lecture parents to change their lifestyles for the betterment of their child’s health (ex. quit smoking so they can afford soap). Those five weeks taught me how passionate I want to be as a future healthcare provider.
When my time in Argentina was quickly coming to an end, I became saddened by having to leave my Kinesiology family at the hospital. Till this day I miss the eleven students that became my close friends, who taught me about life in Argentina and life in the health care world. I gained a Mother in the hospital as well, Pato, the head of the Kinesiology department, who took care of me while I was sick and taught me the importance of passion. It is comforting to know I will always have family in Argentina.
I plan to return to Argentina to visit my Kinesiology family, and I already know that some of them have booked trips to visit me this coming January.

Prior to project assignment, provide details on different placement options available to volunteers.
Emily

Incredible Trip!

I could not have asked for a better experience volunteering in Argentina with Projects Abroad. I have traveled internationally before doing volunteer work and this was by far the most organized company/organization I have ever been with. Everyone at the office is so helpful and will personally assist you with any issues or concerns you may have. For example, I had trouble finding an ATM that would allow me to withdraw money and one of the coordinators walked me from bank to bank to help me solve the problem.

The Law & Human Rights project is awesome! The coordinator, Vicky, is amazing! I spent 3 months working with this office and found my work diversified and challenging. I was able to work with young children and teens who were living in government institutions, along with the homeless, incarcerated youth, and victims of all sorts of human rights abuses. The office staff is great at getting you plugged in, but you also have to be willing to dive in head first! I worked long days, at least 8 hours but the staff is so understanding and easy to communicate with about work and personal issues.

My host mom was great! I must admit I had some concerns regarding a host family but it turned out better than I could have hoped. I was assigned a roommate and I am so grateful! I made friends with other volunteers and was able to see some of their homes as well, and I can say that all of the host homes I saw were very clean and the families were so friendly! The office is great about planning social events so that you can meet other volunteers - one week they do a social and the other they do a community day where volunteers get together and...volunteer! This is an awesome way to meet volunteers from other projects outside of Law & Human Rights.

Having fluent Spanish speaking be a requirement for volunteers! Due to the nature of the work with the community and vulnerable people, it is critical that you be able to communicate with clients! Knowing as much Spanish as possible will absolutely alter your experience.
Jessi

My Time with Projects Abroad

As I am still in high school, I wasn’t able to spend months abroad, so I decided to stay closer to home, North America, and travel to Argentina, to volunteer at a child center for a week. While I do wish that I had been able to stay longer, my time abroad was absolutely amazing! From the moment that I arrived, the Projects Abroad staff members met me with full support, and although I was extremely nervous to be by myself in a foreign country, unable to speak Spanish, they quickly helped me adjust. I was immediately taken to my host moms’ house, where she greeted me very kindly, and then allowed me to sleep off my jet lag.
From the day I arrived to the day I left, my host mom was wonderful; she loved to have conversations, she told me all about Argentina and its history, and the food she prepared for me was ridiculously good. On my first day there, she took my to this place in Argentina called the Artisans Market, where she showed me all of the hand-crafted, homemade items some Argentinian people were selling. On my second day in Argentina, I was picked up by a staff member who gave me a tour of the city, showed me how to get to the office, my placement, and a general idea of how to navigate around the city. For me, this was so helpful, as I am absolutely horrible with directions, yet, with his help, I found myself able to navigate around the city with ease. He answered any questions I had, and made sure I found the Projects Abroad Facebook page, so that I would be able to easily connect with other volunteers.
Because I was only in Argentina for a week, I wasn’t able to volunteer as much as I would have liked; however, I still had an amazing experience. I was placed at a child center in the outskirts of Cordoba, Argentina, where I helped care for toddlers. Because I was there around Easter, we were able to make chocolate Easter eggs for the kids, and decorate the center, which was such a fun activity! I will say that being around kids who speak only Spanish was a little intimidating at first; however, I found that communicating with 3 year olds isn’t necessarily the most difficult challenge, so I resorted to playing games, puzzles, and watching cartoons with the kids. One of the little girls did keep pointing at a bracelet I was wearing, while asking me what it was, but I found that if I just kept smiling at her, or pulled out a different puzzle, she would quickly lose interest in my bracelet. (I couldn’t answer because I have absolutely no idea how to say bracelet in Spanish).
Overall, volunteering in Argentina was an amazing experience; the country is beautiful, the people are so kind, and the Projects Abroad staff in Argentina was so helpful, and they were constantly making sure I had everything I needed. I’m so happy I was given the opportunity for such a wonderful experience, and I am already planning a second trip through Projects Abroad for next year!

Making the program more inexpensive.
Lucy

Choosing ProjectsAbroad is the best decision I've ever made.

My project in Argentina was a High School Special that allowed me to study, volunteer, and travel in Cordoba, Argentina. There, I stayed with a host family and 3 other ProjectsAbroad program members. Every day, we would volunteer in a local, underprivileged kindergarten and then take Spanish lessons in the afternoon. On the weekends, we would have fun events planned with the rest of the program. It was so cool to meet so many people from around the world! That was definitely my favorite part. Learning about the different cultures and languages was so fascinating for me. After this trip, I felt like I had made life-long friends. I can't wait to visit them in the future, but I am extremely thankful that ProjectsAbroad gave me this opportunity in the first place.
As for the staff, the ProjectsAbroad staff was wonderful. If I ever had a question, I always felt comfortable enough to ask. The program was incredibly organized and structured. However, I did have a problem with the supervision. Because I was in a High School Special, the supervision was very strict. Sometimes I would want to travel the city my myself to do casual things like go to the grocery store. With the structure of this program, however, a coordinator was to travel with the volunteers at all times. Although this is the safer way to go, I did not always like this rule. Overall, the trip was perfect. I have only good things to say of ProjectsAbroad.

If I could change one thing, I think I would have liked more time to do things on my own. The project has a very tight schedule, and I felt exhausted every day. I liked that there was always something to do, as it prevented myself from staying in too often, but I wish that some of the activities would have been optional. For example, as a social we went ziplining in the mountains. I am a person who is afraid of heights, so this event wasn't very fun for me. I was not forced to participate, but I would have rather gone shopping or something... on the ground.

Alumni Interviews

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...