Affordable Volunteer Programs in India from $250

By IVHQ Reviewer Verified   Reviews (53)   97% Rating

Volunteer abroad with IVHQ in India! Highly affordable programs are available anywhere from a week to 6 months. There are a variety of programs open to all volunteers. IVHQ partners with local NGOs to provide the best volunteer programs in India. Browse through the list of current volunteer programs in India below and visit the IVHQ website to learn more.
Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in India:

• Childcare Work
  • Teaching English
  • Slum Teaching: Organize basic lessons and activities for street children in Delhi who do not have the time and resources to attend school regularly.
  • Health: Volunteers take part in a variety of projects that are focused on providing healthcare in clinics in Delhi and Dharamsala. Medical professionals are encouraged to join this program.

• Programs are available year-round on extremely affordable prices, started at just $250 a month
  • Volunteers can join a program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in India start on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Accommodation is provided at a home-stay
  • All volunteers are provided with an orientation upon arrival
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in India, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!
View Program Information
Language:
Housing:
Home-stay
Travel:
Participants travel to the program independently (not in a group with other participants).
Application:

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Alexandra
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Wonderful Experience with IVHQ!
    04/23/2016

This is probably the best experience I have had in a long time. I have done other volunteer and travel experiences...but my time in India has been like nothing else. Where do I begin?
    The culture is amazing first of all. The food, the smells, the sights and the sounds...all draw you into falling in LOVE with India. Just traveling alone around India, you get immersed in the history and their life that has been so well preserved for thousands of years.
    The volunteer company that I came here through, IVHQ, was nothing but the best. Not only was the New Zeland headquarter staff helpful, but when I got to India the staff here went above and beyond my expectations. They have been friendly, suppourtive and extremely helpful.. Not once did I feel alone or unsafe being here. If i needed any help or assistance, literally just a phone call away and they would show up to help out. I was working in the slums, and naturally you would be skeptical about the safety...but to be honest, i never felt unsafe AT ALL.
    I think 'life changing' understates my feelings about coming here...India is definitely worth the travel and visit, and IVHQ is definitely worth volunteering with.

How could this program be improved?

nothing to improve. amazing.

• Aliza
    sacramento,ca
    California State University- Sacramento
    A Life Changing Experiance
    04/16/2016

When I got to India I jumped straight into the slum school teaching program. This is a life changing experience because it opens your eyes to the different cultures that are in this world. It was a shock to see how differently these schools operate compared to the schools in America. Your weekends are free to roam India(I recommend Rishikesh) they have lot of great food ! My host family was amazing , they made me feel like a part of the family they are so welcoming and are willing to help you! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them. If your doing the slum school teaching try to plan a teaching outline that you want to teach the kids (this way your time will be filled )the kids also love songs and dancing ! Try to do arts and crafts with them :) And last but not least Enjoy , don't take things to seriously , just relax!

• Jessica
    Age: 25-30
    New Zealand
    Incredible India 2016- Delhi Programme
    04/13/2016

I really cannot say enough good things about this programme. From the minute I arrived at Delhi airport I have been taken care of by the most amazing kind and caring people I have ever come across. I would highly recommend including the orientation week in your time here, you can't put a price on what you will learn and experience and the relationships you will build with local staff and fellow volunteers. It was an invaluable week and it taught me so much about how to handle myself in this completely different culture and how to get the most out of this experience. The staff that take care of you here have now become family to me after just a few weeks. I was lucky enough to stay with Mohit and Chandni who are two of the most amazing people I have ever met in my life, they are hilarious and kind and have opened their home to me and their hearts and the thought of leaving them feels like i will be leaving behind my own family. If i ever had any worries or needed any help they have been available 24-7 to chat or sort out anything for me. I am so thankful for this experience and I just know I will be back to India again and will absolutely use IVHQ to Volunteer again. Thank you thank you thank you to IVHQ and the local staff who have made this a once in a lifetime experience for me.

Useful 1 Inspiring 2
    Response from IVHQ
    04/17/2016

Hi Jessica, It's nice to hear from you! We are so glad that our local team supported you to have such a positive and memorable experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we look forward to welcoming you on another program again in the future.

• Elli
    Brisbane, Australia
    Queensland University of Technology
    A fun experience!!
    04/05/2016

My time in India was an unforgettable one. Orientation week set me up for a crazy, interesting, challenging, wild and wonderful time at AryaKanya, an all girls orphanage in Faridabad.

Faridabad, a city in itself within the outskirts of Delhi, has been a whole other world and yet feels like home too. Every time we returned how from weekend trips it was a warm and comforting welcome back from the rickshaw drivers and the workers at the local supermarket (we went there way too often #snacks).

The orphanage was a lovely place, and too felt like home. I was so glad to be placed there, despite it being a very full on experience. I felt supported everyday at the placement by the local staff of the orphanage and IVHQ. What a memorable 5 weeks of my life.

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    04/17/2016

Hi Elli, it's great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing a little about your experience in India - Delhi. We are stoked to hear that it was such a memorable experience for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to welcome you on another program at some point in the future.

• Yuxuan
    Hong Kong
    King's College London
    Volunteering in Delhi
    03/31/2016

Spending the last two months volunteering for the slum teaching program in Delhi has been one of the most challenging, yet rewarding, experience of my life. By working with children in a school that is genuinely understaffed and lacking resources, I earned the privilege of being a part, albeit a small one, of these kid's lives and growth; through watching these children live in their conditions, and their satisfaction is the smallest things like receiving a new pencil, I gained perspective and learned a substantial amount about myself and the world around me.

Beyond the placement itself, I was able to truly become part of the community I was living in; local children and shopkeepers knew me by name, and the community in general was extremely welcoming. Thanks to IVHQ, I also met a handful of other volunteers from around the world. We went traveling together during the weekends, and many of them will remain lifelong friends.

How could this program be improved?

One thing that could be improved is the communication between IVHQ and the placement itself. For more efficiency and to avoid misunderstanding, IVHQ should be directly connected to the schools, rather than through the host families.

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    04/10/2016

Hi Yuxuan, It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for your feedback and for sharing a few photos from you time in Delhi. It's great to hear you had such a rewarding experience and we are glad we could facilitate this for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• T
    NYC
    Pennsylvania State University
    India-Delhi Healthcare
    03/16/2016

I had such a life changing experience in India with IVHQ. Working in the slum clinic in Faridabad was such an amazing and valuable experience I will never forget. IVHQ supported me throughout my whole placement and my host family was even more amazing. This is my second time volunteering with IVHQ and I've been pleased both times. I really wished I stayed longer because I learned so much during this trip not only about India but about healthcare as well. This is great for any pre-Med or pre-PA student and any healthcare professional. If I had to do it all over again I would but I would have stayed longer. I highly recommend this project!

Nothing

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    03/17/2016

Hi there, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about IVHQ and your time volunteering in India - Delhi with us. We are glad to hear you had such a life changing experience and we hope to welcome you back on another IVHQ program again in the future.

• Victoria
    Perth, Australia
    Such a Rewarding Experience in India
    02/18/2016

Coming over to India to volunteer was my first time I have travelled by myself, so I was quite nervous. But little did I know I'd make so many amazing friends who I'm sure will be in my life forever! The orientation week is a brilliant experience to meet people to hang out with and go travelling on weekends! The volunteering was an absolutely amazing experience that I'll never forget. The children that I was teaching English to have made such a big impact on my life. I not only taught them English, but they also helped me with my Hindi. Walking into school each day and seeing their smiling faces is so rewarding. I also spent a lot of time at the orphanage near my home stay, where a few of the children in my class live. It's amazing to see all these children so happy. The hardest thing about going back to Australia will be saying goodbye to the children. The staff who run IVHQ were also amazing!! They always make sure you are enjoying yourself and are happy to help at any time. I want to do volunteering overseas again and I will definitely be going through IVHQ. I would recommend them to everyone. It has been a life changing experience!

Useful 0 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/18/2016

Hi Victoria, We are so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience in India. Thanks for choosing IVHQ and we look forward to welcoming you on another program for your next overseas adventure.

• Angela
    Melbourne, Australia
    Namaste from India
    02/05/2016

From meeting 25 other volunteers from around the world (including two other vegans from Melbourne!) to sightseeing all over Delhi and Agra, orientation week was above and beyond what I expected. It was then off to homestay with the most amazing family I could have stayed with, and by the end of the 3 weeks, I didn't want to leave. I taught at a slum school, and the kids were just amazing - they shared their lunch with me, drew me heaps of pictures and sung songs with me. They stole my heart, and have a special spot in it no one else ever will. I would recommend this program and anyone and everyone who wants to immerse themselves into the Indian culture.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/18/2016

Hey Angela, It's great to hear about your time in India. It sounds like you had a great time, both volunteering and in your free time. Thanks for sharing! We hope to see you back on another IVHQ program again in the future.

• Emily
    flordia
    Wonderful Experience
    01/29/2016

IVHQ is a wonderful program for any traveller on a budget! the cost is affordable and covers EVERYTHING. my host family made me feel right at home and I will miss them sooo much.
    IVHQ has helped me see a part of the world I have always dreamed of seeing. the slum school I volunteered at was amazing. the kids were so eager to learn and I wish they have a bright future. Mohit and Chandni were so helpful and kind they made me feel right at home. I will definitely recommend IVHQ to my friends, family and any first time travellers. I feel that I really made a difference to the kids. Namaste

Nothing, Everything was AWESOME

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Emily, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for the recommendation. We are glad that you had such a positive experience in India and that our local team and your host family made you feel welcome and at home in India. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Escarla
    New York City
    From India, With Love
    01/29/2016

It's my final day in Faridabad, India and my heart is already aching from everything I will leave behind. I was very lucky to be placed in Mohit & Chandni's home (they are also coordinationators for IVHQ). They provided delicious meals and accommodations. But most importantly they made me feel a part of their beautiful family. I spent hours talking to them over dinner, laughing and joking around. I also had the opportunity to pick up some basic Hindi thanks to their help. I wasn't homesick for a second because they were always available to speak to.
    My program was walking distance from my homestay. I taught English, and Math but also dabbled on some other subjects. The kids ranged from kindergarten to 8th grade. I worked mainly with the 5th and 7th graders. They were all incredibly friendly, happy, and eager to learn everyday. I would leave school every day with atleast 10 pictures drawn by them. I will miss them so much. They've taught me more than they could ever imagine. Their smiling faces will be in my heart forever.
    This experience has been more incredible than I would've imagined a month ago. I am already working out my next volunteering trip with IVHQ! I highly recommend visiting and volunteering with IVHQ India, you will learn so much about yourself and the beautiful, colorful culture here in India. -Namaste!!!

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Escarla, Thanks for taking to share your thoughts from your experience volunteering in India. It sounds like you had a really special time and we are glad that we were able to facilitate this for you. Thanks for the recommendation and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

• Hetal
    New York, New York
    Columbia University
    You won't regret joining IVHQ
    01/15/2016

I'm an American born Indian and this is my third time coming to India, and by myself as well. I have no family in India anymore. I've always wanted to give back to the less fortunate and connect with my home country. After researching many volunteering opportunities, I found IVHQ and I was hooked. It was the best decision I've made. Everyone took such care of me. The hosts I stayed had made me feel so at home and comfortable that they became my actual family. We had soooo much fun together and I'll never forget them.

Volunteering in the slum school was an eye opening experience but also so humbling. Being able to speak some hindi helped so much but it is definitely not necessary. You will fall in love with the children in the school.

All in all, this program is amazing. The people you will meet are amazing and you will not want to come home after. I promise. I'll be back.

Nothing :)

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Hetal, We look forward to welcoming you back! Thank you for your review and we are glad to hear that your experience in India with IVHQ was such a positive one. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Bradlie
    McGill, Nevada
    The lifetime mission in India
    01/11/2016

My name is Bradlie Mattinson. I am 18 years old. I am a volunteer here in India. I have been here for six months. My project was childcare. I helped teached the children how to read, spell, do basic math, and to speech English. I have enjoyed being with them for the last six months. A story that I have from my mission in India is meeting new people. Every other week we get new volunteers come in from all over the world. I have seen many people from all over the world. Some of them were good others no so good. But I got to experience many different kinds of people. Doing this has taught me that volunteering in an other part of the world can help you grow up and become more of a grown up. I have grown up from being here and this mission has made me a better person and more responsible than I could ever be at home. Thanks to IVHQ for giving me this chance to find myself.

How could this program be improved?

I would like that this program had more things to do. Like teaching the kids sports, music, acting, and art. That's what I would change.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Bradlie, It was great to have you volunteer with us in India. We are glad to hear it was such a positive experience for you. Thanks for choosing IVHQ and we hope to see you on another of our programs again in the future.

• Candelaria
    Montreal
    Université de Montréal
    from Argentina to India
    01/08/2016

This program changed my life and trust me, it will change yours. It was my fist time travelling alone but when you arrive here you are not alone anymore. You have a team, a big family and friends waiting for you. At fist I was a little bit scared about coming to India alone ( specially my parents) but the IVHQ team is here to help you with EVERYTHING. You can trust them 100%. Whenever you need help or you have problems they treat you like no one has ever treated you before. They even cook with less spices for volunteers since they know we are not used to the flavours here!!!! Even when you travel during the weekend you can call them whenever you want. I am a family person back home but I didn't miss them at all because I felt like I was home here. There are so many volunteer organisations out there but IVHQ is the best. Not only it's affordable but everything is so well organised and prepared. This experience is 20 times better than what I expected.

Useful 0 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Candelaria, We are so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience and that with the support of IVHQ you felt at home in India. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Diana
    Delhi, India
    Miami University
    Slum Teaching in India
    01/08/2016

IVHQ has very affordable programs which is one of the reasons I chose this company. Traveling for the first time to India, it was extremely beneficial to go through a company. I honestly would be completely lost if I did not have the help of IVHQ and its staff. I participated in the Slum Teaching Program in India and it was the one of the best experiences I have had. I am a student and came here for three weeks during my winter break. I learned a lot and definitely grew from this experience. The program offered a fantastic orientation week that greatly prepared me for India and its culture. The language lesson was helpful and the sightseeing was spot on - my favorite places were Qutub Minar, Chandni Chowk and of course the Taj Mahal. I would definitely recommend to partake in the orientation week, even if you are only here for two weeks, it was well worth it. The program coordinators are very helpful and will go out of their way to help you with anything you need. My homestay was awesome and very comfortable. The Slum Teaching Project was extremely rewarding and the children were so sweet. I would definitely recommend this company and program to anyone.

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Diana, It's nice to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendations for IVHQ and our program in India. We hope to welcome you on another program again in the future.

• Beth
    Portland Maine
    Amazing host family!!!!!
    12/04/2015

I was in India for 3 months volunteering at the EVAD placement. The kids at the school are so nice and excited to learn, it was a joy to see. The director of the school and his wife are great people who care about your experience at the school. The host family (Rashmi, Rohit and Reyansh) are an amazing family!!! They are so willing to help you in anyway. They are so protective of the volunteers and making sure they don't get ripped off or are treated badly from the locals. Rohit and Rashmi are so open about their religion and life that I didn't feel like a bother asking them question about it. They loved having us participate or watch them worship. They love spending time with the volunteers by watching tv, dancing around the house, playing cards and just hanging out. The food is amazing, it's always different and Rashmi does a great job at accomadating to the needs of the volunteers. Leaving here is like leaving behind another family that you've come to know and love! I was very blessed and lucky to have gotten to stay with them for 3 months!

Rashmi Rohit and reyansh worshipping at Diwali
    A friends wedding that they brought us to
    The kids I taught
    Useful 0 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/25/2016

Hi Beth, Thanks for sharing your review. We are glad that you felt supported by the local team and well looked after by your host family. It sounds like you had a really memorable experience which we love to hear. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 32 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Bali, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Fiji, Romania, Italy, Spain and Portugal!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.

Staff Interviews

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.