Affordable Volunteer Programs in India from $250

By IVHQ Reviewer Verified   Reviews (47)   97% Rating

Volunteer abroad with IVHQ in India! Highly affordable programs are available anywhere from a week to 6 months. There are a variety of programs open to all volunteers. IVHQ partners with local NGOs to provide the best volunteer programs in India. Browse through the list of current volunteer programs in India below and visit the IVHQ website to learn more.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in India:
  • Childcare Work
  • Teaching English
  • Slum Teaching: Organize basic lessons and activities for street children in Delhi who do not have the time and resources to attend school regularly.
  • Health: Volunteers take part in a variety of projects that are focused on providing healthcare in clinics in Delhi and Dharamsala. Medical professionals are encouraged to join this program.

• Programs are available year-round on extremely affordable prices, started at just $250 a month
  • Volunteers can join a program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in India start on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Accommodation is provided at a home-stay
  • All volunteers are provided with an orientation upon arrival
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in India, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!
View Program Information
Housing:
Home-stay
Application:
Age Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Angela
    Melbourne, Australia
    Namaste from India
    02/05/2016

From meeting 25 other volunteers from around the world (including two other vegans from Melbourne!) to sightseeing all over Delhi and Agra, orientation week was above and beyond what I expected. It was then off to homestay with the most amazing family I could have stayed with, and by the end of the 3 weeks, I didn't want to leave. I taught at a slum school, and the kids were just amazing - they shared their lunch with me, drew me heaps of pictures and sung songs with me. They stole my heart, and have a special spot in it no one else ever will. I would recommend this program and anyone and everyone who wants to immerse themselves into the Indian culture.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Emily
    flordia
    Wonderful Experience
    01/29/2016

IVHQ is a wonderful program for any traveller on a budget! the cost is affordable and covers EVERYTHING. my host family made me feel right at home and I will miss them sooo much.
    IVHQ has helped me see a part of the world I have always dreamed of seeing. the slum school I volunteered at was amazing. the kids were so eager to learn and I wish they have a bright future. Mohit and Chandni were so helpful and kind they made me feel right at home. I will definitely recommend IVHQ to my friends, family and any first time travellers. I feel that I really made a difference to the kids. Namaste

Nothing, Everything was AWESOME

• Escarla
    New York City
    From India, With Love
    01/29/2016

It's my final day in Faridabad, India and my heart is already aching from everything I will leave behind. I was very lucky to be placed in Mohit & Chandni's home (they are also coordinationators for IVHQ). They provided delicious meals and accommodations. But most importantly they made me feel a part of their beautiful family. I spent hours talking to them over dinner, laughing and joking around. I also had the opportunity to pick up some basic Hindi thanks to their help. I wasn't homesick for a second because they were always available to speak to.
    My program was walking distance from my homestay. I taught English, and Math but also dabbled on some other subjects. The kids ranged from kindergarten to 8th grade. I worked mainly with the 5th and 7th graders. They were all incredibly friendly, happy, and eager to learn everyday. I would leave school every day with atleast 10 pictures drawn by them. I will miss them so much. They've taught me more than they could ever imagine. Their smiling faces will be in my heart forever.
    This experience has been more incredible than I would've imagined a month ago. I am already working out my next volunteering trip with IVHQ! I highly recommend visiting and volunteering with IVHQ India, you will learn so much about yourself and the beautiful, colorful culture here in India. -Namaste!!!

• Hetal
    New York, New York
    Columbia University
    You won't regret joining IVHQ
    01/15/2016

I'm an American born Indian and this is my third time coming to India, and by myself as well. I have no family in India anymore. I've always wanted to give back to the less fortunate and connect with my home country. After researching many volunteering opportunities, I found IVHQ and I was hooked. It was the best decision I've made. Everyone took such care of me. The hosts I stayed had made me feel so at home and comfortable that they became my actual family. We had soooo much fun together and I'll never forget them.

Volunteering in the slum school was an eye opening experience but also so humbling. Being able to speak some hindi helped so much but it is definitely not necessary. You will fall in love with the children in the school.

All in all, this program is amazing. The people you will meet are amazing and you will not want to come home after. I promise. I'll be back.

Nothing :)

• Bradlie
    Age: 18 or younger
    McGill, Nevada
    The lifetime mission in India
    01/11/2016

My name is Bradlie Mattinson. I am 18 years old. I am a volunteer here in India. I have been here for six months. My project was childcare. I helped teached the children how to read, spell, do basic math, and to speech English. I have enjoyed being with them for the last six months. A story that I have from my mission in India is meeting new people. Every other week we get new volunteers come in from all over the world. I have seen many people from all over the world. Some of them were good others no so good. But I got to experience many different kinds of people. Doing this has taught me that volunteering in an other part of the world can help you grow up and become more of a grown up. I have grown up from being here and this mission has made me a better person and more responsible than I could ever be at home. Thanks to IVHQ for giving me this chance to find myself.

How could this program be improved?

I would like that this program had more things to do. Like teaching the kids sports, music, acting, and art. That's what I would change.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Candelaria
    Montreal
    Université de Montréal
    from Argentina to India
    01/08/2016

This program changed my life and trust me, it will change yours. It was my fist time travelling alone but when you arrive here you are not alone anymore. You have a team, a big family and friends waiting for you. At fist I was a little bit scared about coming to India alone ( specially my parents) but the IVHQ team is here to help you with EVERYTHING. You can trust them 100%. Whenever you need help or you have problems they treat you like no one has ever treated you before. They even cook with less spices for volunteers since they know we are not used to the flavours here!!!! Even when you travel during the weekend you can call them whenever you want. I am a family person back home but I didn't miss them at all because I felt like I was home here. There are so many volunteer organisations out there but IVHQ is the best. Not only it's affordable but everything is so well organised and prepared. This experience is 20 times better than what I expected.

• Diana
    Delhi, India
    Miami University
    Slum Teaching in India
    01/08/2016

IVHQ has very affordable programs which is one of the reasons I chose this company. Traveling for the first time to India, it was extremely beneficial to go through a company. I honestly would be completely lost if I did not have the help of IVHQ and its staff. I participated in the Slum Teaching Program in India and it was the one of the best experiences I have had. I am a student and came here for three weeks during my winter break. I learned a lot and definitely grew from this experience. The program offered a fantastic orientation week that greatly prepared me for India and its culture. The language lesson was helpful and the sightseeing was spot on - my favorite places were Qutub Minar, Chandni Chowk and of course the Taj Mahal. I would definitely recommend to partake in the orientation week, even if you are only here for two weeks, it was well worth it. The program coordinators are very helpful and will go out of their way to help you with anything you need. My homestay was awesome and very comfortable. The Slum Teaching Project was extremely rewarding and the children were so sweet. I would definitely recommend this company and program to anyone.

• Beth
    Age: 18 or younger
    Portland Maine
    Amazing host family!!!!!
    12/04/2015

I was in India for 3 months volunteering at the EVAD placement. The kids at the school are so nice and excited to learn, it was a joy to see. The director of the school and his wife are great people who care about your experience at the school. The host family (Rashmi, Rohit and Reyansh) are an amazing family!!! They are so willing to help you in anyway. They are so protective of the volunteers and making sure they don't get ripped off or are treated badly from the locals. Rohit and Rashmi are so open about their religion and life that I didn't feel like a bother asking them question about it. They loved having us participate or watch them worship. They love spending time with the volunteers by watching tv, dancing around the house, playing cards and just hanging out. The food is amazing, it's always different and Rashmi does a great job at accomadating to the needs of the volunteers. Leaving here is like leaving behind another family that you've come to know and love! I was very blessed and lucky to have gotten to stay with them for 3 months!

Rashmi Rohit and reyansh worshipping at Diwali
    A friends wedding that they brought us to
    The kids I taught
  • Natalie
    Cork, Ireland
    The most amazing place :-)
    12/03/2015

Spent 5 weeks with the Miracle Charitable Society, I was welcomed like a member of the family. The children are incredible and it was great to have the variety of volunteering in a the school, orphanage and adoption centre.

The volunteer coordinators were so supportive and make regular contact to ensure that all was going well, I would now consider them friends and they do such a great job. The orientation week was incredible and really worth the extra money!

I'm so sad to leave and can't wait to plan my next trip to India!!

100% would recommend volunteering with IVHQ and most definitely with Miracle! I've made a new family in India!

• Despina
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    A small home away from home
    11/23/2015

Arriving in India for the first time and staying with the Raj family was a one in lifetime experience. Not only did they have their services to provide but also a homey feeling and feeling of safety. The placement I was put in by the Raj family turned out to be a great surprise seeing as no other volunteer had previously attended that school. This meant that the children as well as the teachers were not familiar with having foreign volunteers around. It was a new profound experience for them. Their way of reacting to me on a daily basis was unique. I will never forget them or the Raj family.

• Annie
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    University of Utah
    Nothing like India
    11/15/2015

This experience as a whole is extremely rewarding, however it is not for the faint hearted. India will obliterate your comfort zone and if you're not prepared for that you will have a rough start, potentially a rough trip. Be prepared to be emotional. You'll see things that will break your heart, but you can't let it ruin your whole day. Be prepared for it to be hard! It was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated, however that didn't prevent me from loving every minute of it. I came here with the expectation of helping others change their lives, but this experience changed mine. I've learned so much over the last six weeks, I would need a novel to adequately convey how much. Coming to India is one of the best things I've ever done.
    Here are some tips from me:
    1. Come alone. It will force you to branch out and meet people.
    2. Leave your cell phone home. Its amazing what you learn about your life when you completely abandon it for awhile.
    3. Take advantage of your weekends. Go crazy and travel until your legs give out! There is so much to see here and no two places are the same.
    4. Put any guards that you have down. Allow yourself to fall in love with the kids, your family, and this country because it's absolutely amazing.
    5. If you're still considering this, just do it. Don't think about it for too long because you can always come up with a reason why you shouldn't go. Just do it, it will change your life!

Useful 2 Inspiring 1
  • Stephany
    Elmont,New York
    State University of New York- Plattsburgh
    MY TIME IN IVHQ INDIA!!!!!!
    11/13/2015

This program has been a lifechanging and incredible experience, from the people I have met in and outside off the program. If you wish to immerse yourself to a completely different environment then India is the place. My time at the slum school was terrifying at first, but later on became one of the most life changing experiences and I definitely learned more from these children than they could ever hope to learn from me. My host family not only fed me and gave me a place to stay but they made me feel like part of the family. Never have I met such a funny, and loving group of people in my life and there was never a dull moment when I was with them. If you wish to come to this program, let me tell you, it won't be easy and it will leave you on sensory overload at all times. The things you see outside of the program will leave you in shock at times and you will feel a culture shock once you are here. If you want comfort and luxury living then maybe this isn't for you, but if you're willing to handle all the beautiful mayhem that India has to offer then try it. I promise you won't regret it. My biggest advice when coming here is to stay as open minded as possible and let yourself get immersed in the culture and your family as best you can because you will learn so much from them. These aren't life changing experiences for nothing because you will have to work for it. IVHQ is an incredible program and I wish whoever wishes to join a safe voyage/

• Daniel
    Sydney, Australia
    University of Sydney
    AWESOME ADVENTUROUS EXPERIENCE
    10/22/2015

There are not enough hours in the day to write all that I have to say about my experience here in India. For a first time solo traveller, I have very much enjoyed the hospitability of the close friends I have made in the past 3 weeks here, who invited me into their home and took care of me. The program has enabled me to further enjoy the time spent, allowing me to experience the magical, adventurous, romantic, culturally and historically rich wonders of this great country with a bit more substance than if it just were staying in hotels and plain sightseeing. I have learnt so much, more than I could ever hope to teach others, especially from the kids I have been volunteering to teach. It is such a humbling experience. I wish all the lovely people I have become close friends with all the best for the future - I am definitely coming back!

How could this program be improved?

Its is unrealistic to think one can change the word in a couple weeks. At the same time, It is my onus to make the most out of the time spent here. I think continuing to reiterate that the sharing of experiences from past volunteers is the best way for new volunteers to achieve results.

Useful 0 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    12/15/2015
    Hi there Daniel, We are stoked that you found your experience in India magical and that you enjoyed the cultural immersion. Thanks for your review - we hope that you can join us again in the future!
  • Snowing
    Shanghai, China
    To Delhi with Love
    10/01/2015

Chaotic, colorful, enchanting...I'm totally in love with this country. Had a blast with the host family and all the amazing friends here. I felt loved, thankful and lucky in the journey. However, for the first time in my life, I'm feeling blessed. Thanks to Rohit and Rashimi for the host. I enjoyed every minute of it. I wish I could stay here longer. India is such a magic country that it worths your time exploring more than once. Hope more and more people from all parts of the world will join in IVHQ and make a difference to the world as well as to themselves.

How could this program be improved?

I wish there's air-con in the accommodation.

With two awesome American volunteers
    With the kids I'm teaching in the slum school
    My first henna experience
    Useful 1 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    10/15/2015
    Hi there! Thanks for the account of your time in India. It's great to hear that you made some amazing friends and felt enchanted by the culture and the country. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
  • Mikaela
    Nebraska
    I dont want to leave!
    09/26/2015

This was easily the best experience of my life! I came here all alone but never felt alone! I was welcomed with open arms into everyones family that i meant, i truelly feel like i am apart of them now! The host family, Chandni and Mohit are the best! The volunteering was eye opening and the kids are beyond cute and so smart! They are very eager to learn, and you will leave feeling very rewarded. As i am sure they have impacted me more than i could have impacted them!
    You will not be dissapointed by doing this, and i would highly recommend everyone doing this! It really is simply the best! Oh, and also do orientation week, because it is sooo helpful and a great time! My only regret is that i couldnt stay longer. :(

How could this program be improved?

It really was great! And i cant really think of much to change. Maybe just know that you will have plenty of free time in the afternoons, so plan on going around and seeing as much as you can!

Useful 0 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    10/15/2015
    Hey Mikaela! Wow, sounds like you had the most amazing time! We are so glad that you never felt alone while on your trip and that you left feeing rewarded. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 32 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Bali, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Fiji, Romania, Italy, Spain and Portugal!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.

Staff Interviews

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.