Affordable Volunteer Programs in India from $250

By IVHQ   Reviews (21)   94% Rating

Volunteer abroad with IVHQ in India! Highly affordable programs are available anywhere from a week to 6 months. There are a variety of programs open to all volunteers. IVHQ partners with local NGOs to provide the best volunteer programs in India. Browse through the list of current volunteer programs in India below and visit the IVHQ website to learn more.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in India:
  • Childcare Work
  • Teaching English
  • Slum Teaching: Organize basic lessons and activities for street children in Delhi who do not have the time and resources to attend school regularly.
  • Health: Volunteers take part in a variety of projects that are focused on providing healthcare in clinics in Delhi and Dharamsala. Medical professionals are encouraged to join this program.

• Programs are available year-round on extremely affordable prices, started at just $250 a month
  • Volunteers can join a program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in India start on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Accommodation is provided at a home-stay
  • All volunteers are provided with an orientation upon arrival
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in India, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!

Program Info

Morehead, Kentucky
    Morehead State University
    My thoughts
    08/01/2015

I loved the program in general. I taught mostly deaf students, which was challenging at first, but they've taught me so much along the way. It's been one of the best decisions to volunteer in India. It was also wry easy to travel on the weekends and on our days off. The host family would always help plan and give us suggestions on locations. The culture was in vast contrast to America but it was well worth the experience.

How could this program be improved?

Maybe working for EVAD school, have an orientation video with basic sign language (abc's and numbers)

• Kate
    London
    University of the Arts London
    Funky, Fabulous and ALOT of fun.
    07/30/2015

All together I spent four weeks in India, one on orientation and three on my placement at Mohit and Chandni's house. I would suggest for everyone to do orientation as it really settles you in to life in India and makes you feel comfortable.
    My placement was challenging but very rewarding. When I had a good day at the school it was absolutely brilliant and I really will never forget the last day.
    The first day I moved into the homestay I was made to feel 100% at home. Mohit and Chandni were so helpful for whenever we wanted to organise a trip away they were fantastic! I don't know what we would have done without them! Also not only that but in the evenings we would always have some good conversations and a lot of laughs. They would also treat us to things like ice cream, mangos, homemade fries, mcdonalds and funky dancing!

I thought I would be more excited to go back home, but really I just feel sad to leave everyone I met, they have made my time in India the best!

How could this program be improved?

No. Very happy I chose to volunteer with IVHQ.

• Rodrigo
    Madrid
    Great experience
    07/26/2015

Loved the freedom we got to travel and expend our time when the volunteering finished. Felt really like home with my host family, great atmosphere with other volunteers and all the members of the family.

I would have liked to know that I was coming to Faridabad and not to Delhi itself. I would have also liked more communication with the teachers at school, their English is not very good and that made it more difficult when getting coordinated with them.

• Raby
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Arizona State University
    Slum Teaching
    07/23/2015

One of the best experiences I have had thus far! The program was a little difficult at first, mainly because of the language barrier. After a week of teaching, I began to pick up a little hindi and that was very helpful! The students in the slums are the best. They are so eager to learn. During the weekends I got to travel throughout India with friends I made during orientation. My host family was so welcoming! The locals STARE a lot and love to take pictures! ( it's almost like being a celebrity) Everywhere you go people will be staring, so get use to that! Anywho, I highly recommend this program!!! I cried on last day. The students did not want me to leave.

• Sam
    College Station, Texas
    Texas A&M University
    Teaching in Delhi
    07/23/2015

The host family I stayed with had two 13 year old boys, who loved taking me to the park and playing indian games. They also liked to play chess (and were very good). I also enjoyed taking them to the movies to watch Bollywood films.

I had lots of fun playing games with the children. They were so eager to learn english, and were very willing students. The kids were so funny, and had great attitudes.

All in all, I was very happy with my host family and my teaching experience.

• Gabrielle
    Missouri
    Missouri State University
    IVHQ Delhi, India- Childcare
    07/22/2015

For my childcare placement I worked and stayed in an orphanage. When I got here it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but in the end I made amazing friendships with some of the children that I will never forget. I had the opportunity to teach a kindergarten class in the morning and then in the afternoon we would work with the 7th grade girls and teach them English. We also helped out in the kitchen a lot and assisted with the some of the daily duties/jobs the children had. It was really a fun time! Since we were living here we had the opportunity to spend as much time as we wanted with the children instead of just spending 3 or 4 hours at the placement and then leaving like normal volunteer projects!

You should definitely try it out! You'll love it!

• Shanice
    I'm located in the East Bay
    California State- East Bay
    IVHQ India Dehli, Childcare
    07/22/2015

Note exactly what I initially expected. I was expecting more guidance but the orphanage is more of taking initiative rather than being told. It was trying in the beginning, but got better as time went.

How could this program be improved?

Choosing childcare, I was not expecting to teach. I would have also liked to have known prior to the schedule of the orphanage set up rather than a week prior.

• Jessica
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    McGill University
    Great program
    07/22/2015

The program was wonderful. I felt very welcomed by the host family and was able to easily immerse myself in the culture. It was an eye-opening experience volunteering in the "slum teaching" program. Spending time with the children had a very positive impact on my life. I would definitely recommend this program to others.

• Ana
    Mexico City
    Universidad del Sagrado Corazón
    Great experience
    07/19/2015

It has been an enlighting experience, I have learned so much about myself and about others. Even if India is a crazy, messy place, in never stops amazing me and giving me great stories.
    I did both the medical and the slum teaching program, both were great on their own, in both I got to learn much more than what I got to teach.
    Mohits and Chandni's family is the best place to be, love them so much, I felt like this was not only my hose but also my home.
    Loved it here.

• Sarah
    Ireland
    University of Ulster - Coleraine
    IVHQ India Dehli, Slum teaching
    06/23/2015

I thoroughly enjoyed everyday in the 4 weeks I spent in India. The children were a delight to teach and they were always happy and eager to learn. I was able to see them progress over the time I was there and it is rewarding to see how capable they are. Every day their excitement and enthusiasm put a smile on my face. I met volunteers from all over the world including America, Australia, Canada, Spain, Switzerland, Hong Kong and the UK. We had a great time at our placement and travelling together in our free time. Our weekends were filled with activities and we were kept busy all the time. Orientation week was a great start to my experience and I got to see many sights in Delhi. It was a great opportunity to meet people and make friends. The hindi lessons were very beneficial especially when it comes to teaching the young children. My homestay was within walking distance of the placement. I couldn't have asked for a better family to share my experience with. They provide a fun, relaxed environment for volunteers and were always willing to help with any problems I had. They made me feel welcome when I first arrived and I feel very lucky to have been placed here especially when the food is so good. I have never experienced anything like what I have in the last month. Working in the slums opened my eyes to the lifestyle some of these people in India lead and having the chance to help although it was for a short time has been wonderful. IVHQ have been very supportive from the start. I have had no issues or problems since I arrived here and I know that they are always here to help if I need them. In my opinion 4 weeks was not long enough. I hope to come back someday and volunteer with IVHQ again for longer. I came to India to help change people's lives and I ended up changing my own.

• Maggie
    Columbia Missouri
    University of Central Missouri
    IVHQ India- Slum Teaching
    06/19/2015

I loved my time volunteering in India. The program is very well run, organized and has excellent staff. During my time there i felt supported and encouraged in my placement. THe orientation week was fantastic, i learned alot about the culture, language and country. I got to see some beautiful places and enjoyed my time there. My homestay was wonderful, they prepared great meals, had a lovely home and made me feel apart of the family. I felt safe and cared for during my time and knew if there was any problems they would help me. IVHQ is a terrific program and you get a lot for the cost. I would highly recommend volunteering with IVHQ in India. The slum teaching was such a rewarding experience. India is a beautiful experience, made so by the fantastic and caring staff of IVHQ!

How could this program be improved?

It would have been helpful to have some teaching curriculum in the school.

• Lesley
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Great project but a few things could have been inproved
    05/24/2015

This is a great project with staff that helped me every bit of the way before going to India. It is a great price for what you receive and the school seemed to appreciate my help. Had a great time here and thank IVHQ for this opportunity.

How could this program be improved?

All of the volunteers were separated into different host houses but we were all under the impression that we would stay in one big house with different volunteers. Because we were separated it made it difficult to meet other people and got pretty boring as class would finish at 12pm. School was only for 4 hours so afternoon activities would have been good to keep us occupied and meeting other volunteers although 1 big host house would have been better,

Photos:
    Video:
    Lesley's Slum Teaching Project
    Lesley's Slum Teaching Project
    Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Lesley, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your two weeks volunteering in Delhi on our Slum Teaching project. It sounds like you had a memorable experience. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on another of our programs again soon.
  • Brian
    Delhi
    Slum teaching IVHQ Delhi
    05/14/2015

I didn't know what to expect before arriving in Delhi before starting the teaching programme with IVHQ at 1st it was overwhelming but as you start to realise that these children don't know how poor they are and are way happier than any children on the west. The staff were amazing from the moment I arrived. A designated driver met us at the airport and made us feel more than welcome and as we drove to our placement they answered any questions I had along the way. The host families I met were absolutely amazing and went out of there way to accommodate us and make us feel at home, I got to visit 2 host families in the 4 weeks of volunteering and they were both more than accommodating and great cooks, but if you come to Delhi I would recommend trying to visit Mohit and Chandni's home ask to be placed there as they are amazing cooks and they are so great to sit with and talk about anything. It's nice to be able to chat with hosts with great English as some of the hosts don't have much English but still they are all so welcoming and do their best to make you feel comfortable. I would recommend this programme for anyone that wants a real Indian perspective on life, very challenging but even more rewarding. Namaste!!!!!

Photos:
    Playing music and dancing at Tagore School
    Little Angels slum school
    Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Brian, Thanks for sharing a little of your experience on our Delhi Program. It's great to hear you were able to experience properly experience the rich culture while in India and were welcomed by both homestay families that you were placed with. Thanks for the recommendation. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.
  • Hannah
    Cornwall, UK
    IVHQ- India- Slum teaching
    04/16/2015

I was in the slum teaching project for 4 weeks and found it an unforgettable experience! Working in the school was very rewarding and you get so close to all the amazing children there who are such characters. India is very different to Western countries but in a good way- its manic but also so spiritual with a lot of history and the people are very friendly. If you embrace it, you will see and do so much and have some incredible experiences. IVHQ in India have a brilliant group of staff who are really helpful and who you can have fun with. You stay with a host family and mine were great fun to live with, really helpful with any issues I had and just genuinely lovely people. I would recommend the orientation week as you get to do some additional sightseeing and get taught a bit of Hindi which is really useful as there is a bit of a language barrier in the school. With IVHQ you also get free time in the afternoons and on weekends you get the chance to do some extra travelling so make sure you take the opportunity to do so. If you are looking at volunteering I would definitely recommend IVHQ because they helped make my time here one to remember!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Hannah, Thanks for the recommendation! We couldn't agree with you more - taking advantage of travel opportunities on the weekend and spare time during your volunteer week is an integral part of volunteering abroad with IVHQ. The orientation week in India is a great cultural immersion and also the perfect way to meet other IVHQers who will end up being your companions for weekend travel. Thanks for sharing and we are glad we could be part of providing you with an unforgettable experience in India. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program again in the future.
  • Kelsi
    USA
    Great Experience
    02/09/2015

I volunteered in Delhi, India for 3 weeks through IVHQ and had an incredible experience! I volunteered on the slum teaching project and it was truly an eye opening experience. The school I worked in was nice and clean the staff was friendly, welcoming and passionate about educating students and the slum children. I spent every afternoon with the slum kids and seeing them and watching and helping them learn and just spending time playing with them was truly an eye opening experience. My volunteer accommodations were nice and clean and we ate really well (Indian food is great!) The in country staff was so friendly and willing to help should you have any issues at all. I developed a skin rash due to an allergy to a medicine I was taking and the in country staff checked on me several times and offered several times to take me to a doctor, which made me feel like they really cared and comforted while being so far away from home. I had constant contact with all staff including the staff member that helped me prepare for the trip before I left. She sent me an email part way through my volunteering to check in and make sure that I was happy with my placement and accommodations and to see if I needed anything at all.
    This was my first time going abroad completely alone and I felt safe the whole time and met so many amazing people along my journey. I met a great group of people, who after only a few days felt like family, it was sad saying goodbye. It is important to keep in mind flexibility and being open minded to a new culture, lifestyle, manners and food. If you do you will have an amazing and life changing experience! I am going through IVHQ again and leave in just under 2 months to volunteer abroad again with them!

How could this program be improved?

I honestly was happy with the staff, program, and accommodations, but if I had to think of one thing they could improve on it would be just to be a bit more clear about where exactly you will be staying your first night upon arriving in country. Since I arrived late in the night on the Sunday before my program started I wasn't sure if I was staying with my host family or somewhere else (due to arriving so late.) I was updated once I arrived in country and met my driver (who works for IVHQ) who then took me to my accommodation.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015
    Hi Kelsi, Thanks for sharing your feedback from your experience volunteering with IVHQ in India - Delhi. Your advice for future volunteers is spot on :) We are looking forward to having you volunteer again with us soon.

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 30 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Bali, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Romania, Italy and Fiji!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.