Affordable Volunteer Programs in India from $250

By IVHQ   Reviews (31)   95% Rating

Volunteer abroad with IVHQ in India! Highly affordable programs are available anywhere from a week to 6 months. There are a variety of programs open to all volunteers. IVHQ partners with local NGOs to provide the best volunteer programs in India. Browse through the list of current volunteer programs in India below and visit the IVHQ website to learn more.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in India:
  • Childcare Work
  • Teaching English
  • Slum Teaching: Organize basic lessons and activities for street children in Delhi who do not have the time and resources to attend school regularly.
  • Health: Volunteers take part in a variety of projects that are focused on providing healthcare in clinics in Delhi and Dharamsala. Medical professionals are encouraged to join this program.

• Programs are available year-round on extremely affordable prices, started at just $250 a month
  • Volunteers can join a program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in India start on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Accommodation is provided at a home-stay
  • All volunteers are provided with an orientation upon arrival
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in India, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!
View Program Information

• Jeslyn
    Malaysia
    Bahut accha!
    08/30/2015

If you're worried about coming to India because of all you've heard on the news, DON'T. India is an amazinggg country with lovely, helpful people and if it's your first time going there, then going with IVHQ is a good place to start. They will help you get adjusted and will take care of everything. Volunteering at the Bal Vidhaya Niketan school through IVHQ was one of the best decisions I ever made. Teaching the children was so overwhelming and rewarding and I am definitely going to miss them and India.

• Seda
    Paris
    amazing month in india0
    08/28/2015

I have spent an amazing month in india.
    I enjoyed everything that I lived here. My host family, Rashmi and Rohit are two wonderful people and they have been like a real family to me. I enjoyed very much staying with them and had a lot of fun during my stay. I am thankful to them for their everyday hospitality and kindness and for all that they did for me. I loved volunteering in India and working with the children, it changed my perspective of seeing things. I wish I could stay longer.

• Maria
    Portugal
    India delhi ivhq
    08/28/2015

Came here was a huge step for me, I was leaving my comfort zone for the first time so I was scared but as soon I as I arrived in the airport there were other volunteers that at time I didn't knew and today I call friends because they are people that I won't forget, people who shared this amazing experience with me and that made feel like home. E felt the same thing when I went to my host family first it's strange but then they became family to you. When we put our fears aside and actually embrace the experience we finally star seeing how amazing it is.

How could this program be improved?

I was doing childcare and I had some issues that I'm sure other volunteers had, when we try to teach English to the children the teacher doesn't help much because most of them don't know how to speak English so the communication between the volunteers and the teacher can be hard sometimes and since the children also don't speak English teaching can became a nightmare sometimes.

• Rachel
    London
    University of Sussex
    INDIA!!
    08/23/2015

The programme is super organised, I was picked up from the airport with no problems and taken straight to the hostel.
    Orientation week was such a good experience, I am so pleased I decided to do it as it helped me to become really familiar with India without feeling like I was completely on my own. It also gave the opportunity to make great friends who I was then able to travel on weekends with.
    The staff at IVHQ India were so flexible - on arriving I wanted to change my programme and was able to do this with no problem at all. And again a week into my programme I requested to change and was able to do this very easily, moving into 2 members of staffs' house (Mohit & Chandni - who are amazing) within a few days.
    The BVN school was great, within close proximity to the home stay and this was a placement where volunteers were really needed and greatly appreciated. I enjoyed my time at the school massively.
    My homestay family were equally as amazing, always there at any time of day I needed them and welcomed me into the home like I was part of the family. I am so grateful to them. Thank you IVHQ!

How could this program be improved?

Nothing, I loved everything!

• Samantha
    Perth, Western Australia
    India delhi ivhq
    08/21/2015

I had the most experience my host family was a home away from home and without them I don't think my experience would have been as amazing.and the placement was the most rewarding and amazing experience working with the kids and getting to understand the culture properly

How could this program be improved?

I wouldn't change anything and I'm definitely coming back

• Shannon
    Austin, Texas
    Life-changing Experience
    08/21/2015

I'm a student, and it had always been my dream to travel
    to India. The IVHQ program in Delhi was perfect. I was able to get a very full experience that involved travel and volunteer work. I always felt safe and supported with the staff, and they went above and beyond to make sure I was happy and comfortable. I did the slum teaching project, and I also felt like my work was very rewarding. The kids and my host family were amazing. I had the best experience possible. I HIGHLY reccomend this program for anyone who is excited about traveling and volunteering abroad. I had the time of my life.

• Dolly
    Keizer, Oregon
    University of Oregon
    Teaching in India Experience
    08/13/2015

The experience here in India is life changing. It opened my eyes to the different conditions. Honestly, it has set my dream of going to medical school and helping more people. Everyone here is kind and very welcoming to us even though we were foreigners. The students at school are my favorite. They have so much energy, so much to learn, and so much to share. It was always exhausting after teaching, but it was worth it. I will miss the people here the most.

• Donna
    Eugene, Oregon
    University of Oregon
    A once in a lifetime experience
    08/13/2015

I volunteered both in the health campaign and slum teaching and I would say both were really great experiences. In the health project, I got to learn so much as a pre-med student and it really helped me love the health field a lot more. The doctors are really there to help us out and make sure we have a good learning experience because after all we are there to learn. One of the most important things I realized is you don't always have to rely on the doctor to teach you, a lot of times you have to be the first one to jump on and ask a question and show that you are comfortable in that atmosphere. Once you begin asking questions, they notice the will you have to learn about what they're doing and will be much more comfortable teaching you more about their work. I got to see a lot during my health project and it gave me such a great and large perspective on the health system in India in comparison to the States. I was also part of a couple of health campaigns and it was such a great hands-on experience that I was not expecting coming in. Dr. Prabhat and his wife, our host family, were so kind and welcoming and they were always ready to help us out whenever we needed. Dr. Prabhat also encouraged us on learning so much and was willing to teach us as much as possible, knowing that we are pre-med students.
    I also volunteered in slum teaching and it had such a great impact on me. The students are willing to learn so much and that is what made my stay at the school. Knowing that you can go there everyday and teach them something that they may not know before, yet see their will and want to learn is such a great feeling. It's creating a good relationship of trust with the students and realizing that we may have actually made a big impact on their life, but most importantly, they made a big impact on us. I will definitely miss everyone, all the volunteer coordinates, our host family and the students for sure! Definitely worth it!

• brogan
    Age: 25-30
    australia
    Incredible India with IVHQ!
    08/10/2015

What an amazing experience! This is my 2nd time with IVHQ and it has been even better than the first. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and very much a part of the family we have stayed with. IVHQ have really gone out of their way to ensure that we are happy and well looked afyer. The children have been a delight to work with and I truly feel I'm leaving a little piece of my heart behind in Faridabad. We have had a lot of fun and not only learnt a lot about India but also ourselves. I'm already thinking about my next IVHQ experience in India and I haven't even left yet!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • Claudia
    Barcelona
    Best way to experience India
    08/06/2015

Choosing an organization to volunteer with it's hard, specially when the country is very different and far from yours. IVHQ was the best choice. Great staff and good projects. Travelling was also possible on the weekends which is a good point cause you get to know India too.

How could this program be improved?

That some more money which we pay go to the projects.

• Jessica
    Morehead, Kentucky
    Morehead State University
    My thoughts
    08/01/2015

I loved the program in general. I taught mostly deaf students, which was challenging at first, but they've taught me so much along the way. It's been one of the best decisions to volunteer in India. It was also wry easy to travel on the weekends and on our days off. The host family would always help plan and give us suggestions on locations. The culture was in vast contrast to America but it was well worth the experience.

How could this program be improved?

Maybe working for EVAD school, have an orientation video with basic sign language (abc's and numbers)

• Kate
    London
    University of the Arts London
    Funky, Fabulous and ALOT of fun.
    07/30/2015

All together I spent four weeks in India, one on orientation and three on my placement at Mohit and Chandni's house. I would suggest for everyone to do orientation as it really settles you in to life in India and makes you feel comfortable.
    My placement was challenging but very rewarding. When I had a good day at the school it was absolutely brilliant and I really will never forget the last day.
    The first day I moved into the homestay I was made to feel 100% at home. Mohit and Chandni were so helpful for whenever we wanted to organise a trip away they were fantastic! I don't know what we would have done without them! Also not only that but in the evenings we would always have some good conversations and a lot of laughs. They would also treat us to things like ice cream, mangos, homemade fries, mcdonalds and funky dancing!

I thought I would be more excited to go back home, but really I just feel sad to leave everyone I met, they have made my time in India the best!

How could this program be improved?

No. Very happy I chose to volunteer with IVHQ.

• Rodrigo
    Madrid
    Great experience
    07/26/2015

Loved the freedom we got to travel and expend our time when the volunteering finished. Felt really like home with my host family, great atmosphere with other volunteers and all the members of the family.

I would have liked to know that I was coming to Faridabad and not to Delhi itself. I would have also liked more communication with the teachers at school, their English is not very good and that made it more difficult when getting coordinated with them.

• Raby
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Arizona State University
    Slum Teaching
    07/23/2015

One of the best experiences I have had thus far! The program was a little difficult at first, mainly because of the language barrier. After a week of teaching, I began to pick up a little hindi and that was very helpful! The students in the slums are the best. They are so eager to learn. During the weekends I got to travel throughout India with friends I made during orientation. My host family was so welcoming! The locals STARE a lot and love to take pictures! ( it's almost like being a celebrity) Everywhere you go people will be staring, so get use to that! Anywho, I highly recommend this program!!! I cried on last day. The students did not want me to leave.

• Sam
    College Station, Texas
    Texas A&M University
    Teaching in Delhi
    07/23/2015

The host family I stayed with had two 13 year old boys, who loved taking me to the park and playing indian games. They also liked to play chess (and were very good). I also enjoyed taking them to the movies to watch Bollywood films.

I had lots of fun playing games with the children. They were so eager to learn english, and were very willing students. The kids were so funny, and had great attitudes.

All in all, I was very happy with my host family and my teaching experience.

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 30 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Bali, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Romania, Italy and Fiji!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.