Affordable Volunteer Programs in India from $250

By IVHQ   Reviews (12)   94% Rating

Volunteer abroad with IVHQ in India! Highly affordable programs are available anywhere from a week to 6 months. There are a variety of programs open to all volunteers. IVHQ partners with local NGOs to provide the best volunteer programs in India. Browse through the list of current volunteer programs in India below and visit the IVHQ website to learn more.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in India:
  • Childcare Work
  • Teaching English
  • Slum Teaching: Organize basic lessons and activities for street children in Delhi who do not have the time and resources to attend school regularly.
  • Health: Volunteers take part in a variety of projects that are focused on providing healthcare in clinics in Delhi and Dharamsala. Medical professionals are encouraged to join this program.

• Programs are available year-round on extremely affordable prices, started at just $250 a month
  • Volunteers can join a program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in India start on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Accommodation is provided at a home-stay
  • All volunteers are provided with an orientation upon arrival
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in India, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!

Program Info

Ireland
    University of Ulster - Coleraine
    IVHQ India Dehli, Slum teaching
    06/23/2015

I thoroughly enjoyed everyday in the 4 weeks I spent in India. The children were a delight to teach and they were always happy and eager to learn. I was able to see them progress over the time I was there and it is rewarding to see how capable they are. Every day their excitement and enthusiasm put a smile on my face. I met volunteers from all over the world including America, Australia, Canada, Spain, Switzerland, Hong Kong and the UK. We had a great time at our placement and travelling together in our free time. Our weekends were filled with activities and we were kept busy all the time. Orientation week was a great start to my experience and I got to see many sights in Delhi. It was a great opportunity to meet people and make friends. The hindi lessons were very beneficial especially when it comes to teaching the young children. My homestay was within walking distance of the placement. I couldn't have asked for a better family to share my experience with. They provide a fun, relaxed environment for volunteers and were always willing to help with any problems I had. They made me feel welcome when I first arrived and I feel very lucky to have been placed here especially when the food is so good. I have never experienced anything like what I have in the last month. Working in the slums opened my eyes to the lifestyle some of these people in India lead and having the chance to help although it was for a short time has been wonderful. IVHQ have been very supportive from the start. I have had no issues or problems since I arrived here and I know that they are always here to help if I need them. In my opinion 4 weeks was not long enough. I hope to come back someday and volunteer with IVHQ again for longer. I came to India to help change people's lives and I ended up changing my own.

• Maggie
    Columbia Missouri
    University of Central Missouri
    IVHQ India- Slum Teaching
    06/19/2015

I loved my time volunteering in India. The program is very well run, organized and has excellent staff. During my time there i felt supported and encouraged in my placement. THe orientation week was fantastic, i learned alot about the culture, language and country. I got to see some beautiful places and enjoyed my time there. My homestay was wonderful, they prepared great meals, had a lovely home and made me feel apart of the family. I felt safe and cared for during my time and knew if there was any problems they would help me. IVHQ is a terrific program and you get a lot for the cost. I would highly recommend volunteering with IVHQ in India. The slum teaching was such a rewarding experience. India is a beautiful experience, made so by the fantastic and caring staff of IVHQ!

How could this program be improved?

It would have been helpful to have some teaching curriculum in the school.

• Lesley Paul
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Great project but a few things could have been inproved
    05/24/2015

This is a great project with staff that helped me every bit of the way before going to India. It is a great price for what you receive and the school seemed to appreciate my help. Had a great time here and thank IVHQ for this opportunity.

How could this program be improved?

All of the volunteers were separated into different host houses but we were all under the impression that we would stay in one big house with different volunteers. Because we were separated it made it difficult to meet other people and got pretty boring as class would finish at 12pm. School was only for 4 hours so afternoon activities would have been good to keep us occupied and meeting other volunteers although 1 big host house would have been better,

Photos:
    Video:
    Lesley's Slum Teaching Project
    Lesley's Slum Teaching Project
    Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Lesley, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your two weeks volunteering in Delhi on our Slum Teaching project. It sounds like you had a memorable experience. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you on another of our programs again soon.
  • Brian Hutchings
    Delhi
    Slum teaching IVHQ Delhi
    05/14/2015

I didn't know what to expect before arriving in Delhi before starting the teaching programme with IVHQ at 1st it was overwhelming but as you start to realise that these children don't know how poor they are and are way happier than any children on the west. The staff were amazing from the moment I arrived. A designated driver met us at the airport and made us feel more than welcome and as we drove to our placement they answered any questions I had along the way. The host families I met were absolutely amazing and went out of there way to accommodate us and make us feel at home, I got to visit 2 host families in the 4 weeks of volunteering and they were both more than accommodating and great cooks, but if you come to Delhi I would recommend trying to visit Mohit and Chandni's home ask to be placed there as they are amazing cooks and they are so great to sit with and talk about anything. It's nice to be able to chat with hosts with great English as some of the hosts don't have much English but still they are all so welcoming and do their best to make you feel comfortable. I would recommend this programme for anyone that wants a real Indian perspective on life, very challenging but even more rewarding. Namaste!!!!!

Photos:
    Playing music and dancing at Tagore School
    Little Angels slum school
    Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Brian, Thanks for sharing a little of your experience on our Delhi Program. It's great to hear you were able to experience properly experience the rich culture while in India and were welcomed by both homestay families that you were placed with. Thanks for the recommendation. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon.
  • Hannah Slade
    Cornwall, UK
    IVHQ- India- Slum teaching
    04/16/2015

I was in the slum teaching project for 4 weeks and found it an unforgettable experience! Working in the school was very rewarding and you get so close to all the amazing children there who are such characters. India is very different to Western countries but in a good way- its manic but also so spiritual with a lot of history and the people are very friendly. If you embrace it, you will see and do so much and have some incredible experiences. IVHQ in India have a brilliant group of staff who are really helpful and who you can have fun with. You stay with a host family and mine were great fun to live with, really helpful with any issues I had and just genuinely lovely people. I would recommend the orientation week as you get to do some additional sightseeing and get taught a bit of Hindi which is really useful as there is a bit of a language barrier in the school. With IVHQ you also get free time in the afternoons and on weekends you get the chance to do some extra travelling so make sure you take the opportunity to do so. If you are looking at volunteering I would definitely recommend IVHQ because they helped make my time here one to remember!

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Hannah, Thanks for the recommendation! We couldn't agree with you more - taking advantage of travel opportunities on the weekend and spare time during your volunteer week is an integral part of volunteering abroad with IVHQ. The orientation week in India is a great cultural immersion and also the perfect way to meet other IVHQers who will end up being your companions for weekend travel. Thanks for sharing and we are glad we could be part of providing you with an unforgettable experience in India. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program again in the future.
  • Kelsi
    USA
    Great Experience
    02/09/2015

I volunteered in Delhi, India for 3 weeks through IVHQ and had an incredible experience! I volunteered on the slum teaching project and it was truly an eye opening experience. The school I worked in was nice and clean the staff was friendly, welcoming and passionate about educating students and the slum children. I spent every afternoon with the slum kids and seeing them and watching and helping them learn and just spending time playing with them was truly an eye opening experience. My volunteer accommodations were nice and clean and we ate really well (Indian food is great!) The in country staff was so friendly and willing to help should you have any issues at all. I developed a skin rash due to an allergy to a medicine I was taking and the in country staff checked on me several times and offered several times to take me to a doctor, which made me feel like they really cared and comforted while being so far away from home. I had constant contact with all staff including the staff member that helped me prepare for the trip before I left. She sent me an email part way through my volunteering to check in and make sure that I was happy with my placement and accommodations and to see if I needed anything at all.
    This was my first time going abroad completely alone and I felt safe the whole time and met so many amazing people along my journey. I met a great group of people, who after only a few days felt like family, it was sad saying goodbye. It is important to keep in mind flexibility and being open minded to a new culture, lifestyle, manners and food. If you do you will have an amazing and life changing experience! I am going through IVHQ again and leave in just under 2 months to volunteer abroad again with them!

How could this program be improved?

I honestly was happy with the staff, program, and accommodations, but if I had to think of one thing they could improve on it would be just to be a bit more clear about where exactly you will be staying your first night upon arriving in country. Since I arrived late in the night on the Sunday before my program started I wasn't sure if I was staying with my host family or somewhere else (due to arriving so late.) I was updated once I arrived in country and met my driver (who works for IVHQ) who then took me to my accommodation.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015
    Hi Kelsi, Thanks for sharing your feedback from your experience volunteering with IVHQ in India - Delhi. Your advice for future volunteers is spot on :) We are looking forward to having you volunteer again with us soon.
  • Michaela17
    Mendham, New Jersey
    Rowan University
    India always in my heart.
    05/05/2012

I was based in Northern India and taught young Buddhist monks English. I never imagined that I would learn so much from these wonderful boys. While at times it was very challenging and I had students at all different levels of English; I could not have imagined a better placement. I was truly accepted as part of the community and taken in as family. I have forever been changed by this experience and will always hold it close to my heart.

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 1
  • summerschatz
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    University of Queensland
    Indi-amazing
    03/22/2012

I spent three weeks with friends volunteering with IVHQ in India. We spent our time teaching english classes in a slum school, with two morning classes of young children and an afternoon class of older girls. Overall, it was an amazing experience and offered a truly unique insight into Indian culture

IVHQ links up with grass-roots projects in India and the staff involved in our project were very supportive. From the beginning, we felt safe and at home with our Indian host family, and the staff were in regular contact with us and dealt with any issues we had straight away.

One of my favourite aspects of the program was living with an Indian family. Being totally immersed into family life and getting to know the students in our classes proved to be the best introduction to Indian culture. We learnt so much more in those three weeks about India than in the other three weeks we spent backpacking around Rajasthan.

The school experience was very enlightening, and although we would have appreciated some more information about what learning materials to bring with us, we really enjoyed it. The volunteer experience will only improve as the school program and curriculum better develops. For most of the children, we were involved in the only 'formal' education they would receive in their life, and that was quite confronting at times.

If nothing else, my time in India reminded me of the important things in life. As actions speak louder than words, the best review I can give IVHQ would be to say that we enjoyed our time in India so much that we are looking at going back to India and helping the school further!

Useful: 2 Inspiring: 0
  • Celia.Harris
    Age: 18 or younger
    Orono, Maine
    Steer Clear!!!!!
    03/15/2012

Overall I had an amazing experience in India, but there were times where I felt ripped off by the people in charge of my project. If you are interested in volunteering in Faridabad I would strongly advise you to steer clear of a man named Dr. Bandou. The money that you give him does not go where it is supposed to go and I am not the first volunteer to experience this. The money that you give him goes to him and not to help the families or community like it is said to go. Every person that knows him knows that he is a very sneaky man. India is amazing but this program would be much more profitable without this man. I am very young and I was told I was going to a girls hostel for three weeks. Without telling me, he placed me and another volunteer in a host family and took us to a school the next day where all of the teachers did not know why we were there. They kept asking us why we had come and how long we would be staying. I cleared everything up and we taken to the right placement only after I spoke up. At the end of my project, I asked him if he could provide for me to take me to the airport. My flight was in the middle of the night so it would not have been safe for me to travel alone on the metro. He refused and said that I could either pay more or that I could find my own way. I am 18 and maybe Im wrong but I dont think that girls my age should be traveling at night alone. The organization should provide transportation to and from the airport. I was picked up from the airport so I see no problem in being dropped off at the airport. Just a friendly warning to stay away from the wrong people. India was amazing and I would go back in a heartbeat, but I will only go back if my volunteering has nothing to do with Dr. Bandou.

Useful: 11 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    01/16/2013
    Thank you for your feedback. On a program visit to India in April, our Executive Director addressed and resolved these concerns with our local staff. We appreciate you taking the time to review our program to help improve the experience for future IVHQ volunteers and despite the issues, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience in India.
  • Chloe
    Sydney, Australia
    What does it really mean to Volunteer?
    03/07/2012

This volunteering project provided volunteers with an undeniably good insight into Indian culture. I think living with a local family anywhere in the world is always a beneficial experience for both family and volunteer. This was the case for me living with a middle class Indian family in the industrial city Faridabad, near Delhi. But apart from the rewarding exchange of knowledge with a local family, the other main component of choosing to volunteer is the volunteer work. In this area I think organisations like IVHQ have to do more in depth research into the benefits of projects they are offering for the local community. In my case, I was working at a private hospital not far from my family's home. This hospital did not have much going on for volunteers to get involved in. There were less than 10 patients, and the hospital was running well with plenty of competent staff who did not need our help. With this volunteer company, volunteers do not need any qualifications to be allowed to watch surgery. So I was able to watch many operations and enhance my own knowledge of medicine. But when there wasn't any surgery, I found I was really lacking in anything to do to help, and passed the time talking to the technicians and drinking plentiful cups chai. We were able to request to IVHQ co-ordinators to be placed in other hospitals to get some variety in our work, but it would have been nice for them to have had other options already researched for us. And it was almost impossible for us to work in the public hospitals because of the huge amounts of paperwork for the organisation to complete. Bureaucracy in India... Ultimately, although I was able to watch various operations, the reality is until volunteers have a medical or nursing degree they are kind of more of a hindrance to local workers than a help. Organisations need also to be better adept in placing unskilled volunteers in hospitals that are more in need of help, even our basic help. In India I do not imagine this is that unachievable. I compare this program to one I completed with another company in Cusco, Peru. There I felt really valued as a volunteer and could really be of some help whether it be washing instruments, folding bandages or helping in basic medical work. But after saying all this, I remember that IVHQ is extremely cheap compared to other organisations, and perhaps that is why it is not as organised as others. I would recommend it for the price, but I think the medical community ultimately did not benefit from this project.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    01/16/2013
    Thank you for your review. While we pride ourselves on providing affordable volunteering programs, we also pride ourselves on the high quality of these programs so your feedback is of great value to us. We are sorry to hear you felt there was not enough work for you on your placement and we have addressed these concerns with our local staff. We are glad to hear your enjoyed the insight you got into the India culture while volunteering with IVHQ.
  • MissPorcelain
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Loved India
    03/07/2012

Being on the program in India was absolutely amazing. It was a truly cathartic experience, and working with the other volunteers was so much fun! The children at the orphanage were so wonderful and I really loved spending time with them.

• cini0626
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Amazing opportunity in India
    03/06/2012

I had the opportunity to teach at a slum school in Faridabad, India. It was an amazing exxperience. I stayed with a host family and maily ate vegetarian food. We walked to the school every morning, and taught until about 1:00 p.m. We were able to travel to nearby sites during holidays and weekends.

Useful: 3 Inspiring: 0

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 30 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Bali, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Romania, Italy and Fiji!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.