• Ghana

Travel Type
Budget Family Senior Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

$270 USD
Fully hosted experience from only $270 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
May 06, 2021
Oct 15, 2021

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in Ghana and 50+ other destinations around the world. Choose from seven meaningful projects including Teaching, Childcare, Medical, Construction and more.

Our Ghana programs span 1 to 24 weeks, based in rural villages and townships within the Greater Accra Region. When you’re not giving back to the local community, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and join exhilarating tours.

Your fully-hosted experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ offers a multi-layered support network, so even before you depart, you’ll receive outstanding service from your IVHQ Program Manager and gain exclusive access to volunteer training and preparation tools.

Ready to make a difference?

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Ghana program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks.
  • Fully-hosted volunteer experience from only $270 for 1 week - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining a global network of 113,000+ volunteers backed by the world’s leading team of volunteer travel experts with an outstanding safety system and track record
  • Support impact-driven volunteer projects run by locals within your host community
  • Flexible booking and free changes so you can register with confidence

IVHQ Scholarships

You can get your hands on a range of different International Volunteer HQ sponsorships throughout the year, with the money you win going directly towards the cost of one of their two-week programs. You'll also get a flight voucher in the value of up to $1,000 from STA Travel and travel insurance to cover the duration of the program from World Nomads. Recent grants have included an “Alternative Break” scholarship, where Spring, Summer or Winter break programs were fully funded.

$1,000 - $2,000

Popular Programs

Volunteer in Ghana with IVHQ

Childcare volunteers in Ghana work in both rural and urban communities, providing education, care and attention to children from low-income families. This program is well suited to volunteers with a warm and caring nature, who love working with children and are passionate about supporting early childhood development. Tasks include helping children with morning and evening routines, assisting with food preparation and providing care and entertainment.

Agriculture Volunteering in Ghana

Are you passionate about sustainability and looking for some hands-on volunteer work? As an Agriculture Volunteer in Ghana, you’ll be based on a local farm 2-3 hours from Accra. Tasks involve clearing and developing land for crops, fertilizing, planting, nurturing, teaching farming techniques to locals, fencing, and assisting with purchasing, moving and caring for stock.

Construction & Renovation in Ghana

Based in rural Ghana, this Construction & Renovation project offers volunteers the special opportunity to work alongside local people to help improve infrastructure in small rural communities. Projects focus on clinics, community centers, toilets facilities and schools. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to meet chiefs and community elders, and learn about the local culture through music and dance.

Volunteer in Medicine in Ghana

As a Medical Volunteer in Ghana, you’ll help support small clinics in under-resourced, rural areas for two days per week, and then mobile wound care outreach for the remaining three days. You’ll play a pivotal role in providing basic healthcare services to communities who often don’t have access to these resources. This project is open to qualified medical or nursing professionals as well as volunteers who have completed at least two years of medical or nursing training.

Sports Volunteering in Ghana with IVHQ

Are you an energetic, enthusiastic individual? Ready to give back to a local community in need of extra support and resources? As a Sports Teaching Volunteer, you’ll put structure around local sporting programs that help children develop their physical capabilities outside of school. This program is well suited to individuals with a love of sport and real enthusiasm for supporting youth development and working with young people.

Teach English in Ghana with IVHQ

As a volunteer on this English Teaching project, you’ll work in rural communities across Ghana teaching English directly to local students and assisting teachers. If you’re an aspiring teacher or you're interested in education, this is a great opportunity to get some practical experience while making a difference to those in under-resourced communities. You'll play a pivotal role in helping children develop their verbal and written skills.

• 9-10 rating 96.15%
  • 7-8 rating 2.88%
  • 1-2 rating 0.96%
Eral

Childcare in Ghana

It was the best experience i've ever had in my life. I love Ghana! I loved being part of something good and ı love every person in this program. Thank you IVHQ!
ı have more frıends, a lot of amazing pictures, good memories now...
I was ın gold program and everyone in this program was so helpfull..
We were 8 when i start program with friends from all around the world, ı went there alone ı back with many friends and good memories, if u thınkıng about go there u shouldnt think twice...
Just do it!

1 person found this review helpful.
Anne

Purple Program in Ghana doing Teaching, Childcare, Sports

I'm just back from Ghana on the Purple Program with IVHQ! My program included teaching, childcare, sports and construction. The program is very well organized by IVHQ and the designated leader Elvis made your transition into the village that much easier. Elvis was exceptional at his job without him the trip wouldn't have been the same. No matter how big or small the request from the volunteers he made sure to get it done for them. Elvis helped you make the most out of your free time by organising excursions such as weekend trips to cape coast or day trips to waterfalls. Whatever you would like to do he will make sure you get it done within your time on the programme. Elvis has such fantastic professional relationships with people around the village and when we travel on the weekends, which helps benefit the growth of IVHQ organization’s and makes the volunteers trip more enjoyable and smooth sailing

What was your funniest moment?
When the local shop (Joe's) was playing bob Marley and all the volunteers and locals went up to dance to the music
Tanacia

AMAZING PROGRAM

Volunteering with IVHQ Ghana was my first time volunteering overseas and I was nervous. Everyone was so amazing at helping us get used to different environments. I felt completely safe and the food was amazing. The program is versatile, you are able to help out in some of the other programs if you would like. I was apart of the medical program, but spent a few days volunteering on the farm and i loved it!! Thank you to the program directors, Elvis, Joe, Milli, Mary, and everyone for allowing us to feel very comfortable.
Volunteering in Ghana was truly a positively life-changing experience and hope to be able to go back in the future!

Robert

IVHQ Ghana

Had an amazing time doing both teaching and sports volunteering in Frankadua Ghana these past 4 weeks. Food was awesome, support was constant if needed and Elvis made the program 100 times smoother and more enjoyable. The weekend trips to various parts of the country were also amazing and very unexpected! Made some amazing friends, got incredibly close with so many kids and everyone in the community was so welcoming and friendly! Would definitely come back and recommend this program to anybody. Absolutely life changing! Thanks for the memories!

Bobby Willen

Just go in with an open heart and open mind. Its a life changing experience but you can't go into something like this thinking it will be like home. You are there to volunteer and make a difference in the community and if you go in thinking that way it will exceed all expectations!
Holly

Incredible experience!

This project was my 4th one and was such a unique and different experience from the others. I signed up for childcare but mainly focused on teaching as that was where we were needed most and I loved it so much. Watching the children learn and seeing them start to understand more and more everyday was such a cool thing to see. The programme is so flexible, which is really nice as it allows to you try so many different things and go where you're most needed each day.
Being able to live within the community and see how the children lived is so eye opening as well, as you really get to know them more as time goes on, even though I was only there for a month. I've never had an experience like this one and it really showed me what I take for granted at home.
The whole time I was in Ghana I felt so safe and the local team, especially Elvis, really helped to make sure we were always well looked after. All our weekends were so well organised thanks to Elvis and without him, we definitely would of been very lost most of the time!
I can't wait to come back :)

Go with the flow as much as possible and don't do what you want to do, do what you're needed for. Make the most of the experience!
Sehun

Review for IVHQ Ghana (Teaching and Childcare)

It was my first time helping someone voluntarily. So if I was alone, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Also, I was the only Korean in the group, and even the only Asian. I was worried that this might be a disadvantage, but it was in vain.
IVHQ helped me a lot before I arrived in Ghana, and when I arrived in Ghana, the local staff were competent. I was able to carry out all the things I thought, wanted to do, and planned, and the staff supported them.
Additionally, what I liked the most was the innocence. Religious volunteer groups tend to spread religion or have a strong bias, and groups sent from the country have a sense of publicity. But at IVHQ, I really liked the pure help.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I love the happiness of eating. When it comes to something new, I tend to put it in my mouth. Ghanaian food was much better than I expected. In particular, I was unfamiliar with food called fufu or banku. In fact, those two foods are slightly different, but broadly speaking, they are like Ghanaian carbohydrates. You can think of it as food such as rice or bread in other cultures. However, in Ghana, it is difficult to grow grains such as rice or wheat, so it is a food made from cassava or corn flour. Also, this is a food eaten by hand without using a spoon. The reason I call this the most unfamiliar food is because it is not a chewable food. Unlike normal food, which is chewed and swallowed by putting food in the mouth, it is eaten by putting it in the mouth and swallowing it immediately.
Grace

Amazing Experience

This was a life changing experience as I got to immerse myself in a very different culture and lifestyle. I was a part of the medical outreach group, and we traveled to different villages and schools to perform malaria testing/treatment and wound care for those who could not afford to go to a hospital. I felt very safe and supported by the staff throughout this experience and I learned so much from the hands on work and many people I met. I went to Ghana to volunteer with my older brother not knowing what to expect at all and ended up having the best experience, and I can’t wait to go back next year!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The traditional food in Ghana was very unfamiliar to me. We went to a local restaurant one day where we are fufu which is like a raw dough ball in the middle of a bowl of a spicy soup broth. They don’t use silverware either so it was a challenge!
Christian

IVHQ-VCO (Medical)

I was accepted to participate in the medical mission. I thoroughly enjoyed my time and felt like I made an impact. I was able to practice medicine and help the poorest of the poor. Resources were very limited, so I had to be creative. I am so glad I went!
Moreover, our program coordinator, Elvis, was awesome! He is an intelligent and thoughtful young man. Without his guidance, our overlapping groups would have been totally lost!
Thank you again Elvis! I hope to see you again one day.
Ghana, I miss you!

Expect the unexpected. Have an open mind. Adjust your standards. Get to know the people and their customs.