Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Ghana from $270

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Ghana? Then join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, in Africa!

Choose from 6 volunteer project options based in rural villages and townships within the Greater Accra Region. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated dormitory-style volunteer houses, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Ghana, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you’re all about authentic experiences, diving deep into culture, exploring a country that moves to a vibrant beat, and searching for opportunities to grow, give back and make real connections, then volunteering in Ghana is for you!

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Ghana:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • Sports Education
  • Medical
  • Agriculture
  • Construction and Renovation
  • IVHQ’s Ghana program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure training.
  • You’ll be joining between 20 and 50 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Ghana each month and you'll be joining a network of 80,000+ volunteers.
  • Weekends are free to explore with fellow volunteers - discover the history of the culturally significant Cape Coast, wander through Kakum National Park and more!

I hope not as this is the question I am asking.

rhiannon

My three months in Ghana

My three months in Ghana through IVHQ were unforgettable, life changing and worth every penny. The staff made sure that we everyone was comfortable while experiencing new skills and adventures, all of which were interesting and enjoyable. The online team are helpful even before you arrive and offered advice on all aspects including what to take, how to sort visas out and ensuring that any concerns I had were diminished before I left. On arrival finding the friendly member of staff who was there to pick us up was relatively easy in the crowded and hectic airport. Orientation was well organised and informative with a language lesson from a brilliant member of staff named Evans who is one of the most hardworking and dedicated members of the team. He is also in charge of arranging malaria testing for the children in schools and local people. Evans encourages everyone to come and test people in towns, as not only is it an interesting and good experience it is also a wonderful skill to learn and gives those with malaria a fighting chance (as we also distributed medication too) .
On weekends trips were arranged. In my time there I did a few, including Cape Coast, Twi Waterfalls and Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary. Arranged by Elvis and Evans, these trips were well organised with enough flexibility for it to be massively enjoyable while also interesting and informative, allowing us to experience new things we may never have experienced otherwise. The trips were affordable and the accommodation comfortable, clean and in a good location.
The accommodation (in the purple program in Frankadua) I had been in during the weekdays was comfortable, accommodating, in a good location- about 2 hours from the capital city of Accra- and had wonderful food provided by the fantastic cook Rita. While the facilities were basic, the charm and homely feeling you get if you have an open mind allows you to settle quickly. The program offers a wide range of options on what to do from day to day. Spanning from teaching to agriculture with enough flexibility and support to do something different from day to day or week to week.
Of course I can't put how incredible my experience was into words, but I would recommend this life changing chance to anyone and everyone in a heart beat and I'm so grateful to everyone, especially those i have name for ensuring my time there was used constructively through enjoyable, breathtaking and eye opening moments, as well as supporting me through every moment.

Alessia

Ghana with Volunteers Corps.. YES!

I spent two months in Ghana volunteering at the Potter’s Village with IVHQ and Volunteers Corps. Even though the orientation papers should be updated and there should be more preparation about donations and habits in Ghana before leaving, I had an amazing experience. Personally, I want to thank Evans for his availability and kindness in all the occasions. He helped me more than once with a couple of issues I had and made everything easier. In fact, even though he wasn’t the coordinator of my program, he helped me and made sure everything was ok. Volunteers corps and IVHQ are serious organizations and safety comes always first when it comes to them. I would suggest everyone to volunteer in Ghana with them! Get ready guys, Africa will change you forever!

Ajay

Review of Trip to Frankadua Ghana

I recently signed up with IVHQ and Voluteer Corps Ghana volunteering program. I found it to be very well organized and conducted. The staff was good especially Evan's who was the program coordinator for the Frankadua Program. His passion to help the people of Frankadua was infectious. I would highly recommend this program to others as well. The entire staff of IVHQ and Volunteer corps was very cordial through out the trip. The cook was very nice and entertained us with delicious meals three times a day. This program gave me a good mix of work and free time. In the free time I was able to make connections with the locals and know more about the life in Frankadua and the challenges that community faces. Leaving Frankadua was tough. I think I came back more grateful and a person who is more willing to help others.

Marko

IVHQ Ghana, Purple Program (Frankadua, Volta Region)

I spent two weeks in Frankadua, Volta Region, Ghana. Everything, from accommodation, food, safety was really good. Evans Nkansah, project coordinator in Turquoise (spent a great amount of time with us in the Purple program) did a great job organizing weekend trips where everybody could enjoy free time without any worries about food, drinks, safety or something else. Planning done well! And he made Malaria testings possible for which I can't thank him enough. Except teaching, for what I have applied, Malaria testings (thanks to Evans) I also did wounds treating every other afternoon. What I found really good about this program is that even dough you choose one activity, you are able to try to do much more. Great experience for me and of course a good cause. Overall, I am really happy with my experience and I suggest everyone to try it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for submitting a review on the Ghana program! It's great to hear that you had an awesome experience on the program and enjoyed the weekend trips lead by the local team. I hope you volunteer with us again soon! Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Leina

Highly recommended! Life-changing

I assure anyone that those two weeks that I have spent in Ghana with IVHQ were the best two weeks of my life. There are people out there with similar goals and with an open heart filled with generosity and humbleness. The local team were very welcoming and so were all the Ghanaians. Leaving was the hardest thing I have had to do there. I would go back in a heartbeat. Construction was challenging but rewarding. I learned from this trip that when we travel to other countries in search for different traditions and cultures, we tend to look the wrong way. We go to restaurants and malls and perhaps a couple museums. After this trip, I would never travel without being a volunteer. Traveling with IVHQ allowed me to immerse myself in the culture as I was exposed to the daily lives of the locals. We had to live their lives for two weeks; same bucket baths, same pit toilets, bunk beds, food, water, etc. It was a life changing experience! I urge you to travel with IVHQ, you will not regret it! I promise you.

Andrew

Andrew Vandall in Ghana

I must say that I have been to many place ( over 30 countries), but had never volunteered before. I did my research, read about different programs, and thought that IVHQ was the best fit. I was right! They were amazing, and very professional all of the way! I would for sure go on another trip with IVHQ, as I can say now, that they were the best!!

I would also state that in volunteering, the individual must be responsible for their actions, and they should read as thoroughly on the área and country as possible. I had a great trip, and would highly recomendo IVHQ for the next one!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Andrew - it's awesome to hear about your experience in Ghana, I'm so glad you enjoyed our time on the program. I wish you all the best! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Andrew

Ghana: Buidling and Contrcution

There is always a certain ammount of frustrations that are due to the individual traveler and their motives and preperation. I think that going to Ghana is not ideal for every traveler or voluteer. But, the point is to get out of your comfort zonas and experience life!

IVHQ will help get you there!!!

Juan

Ghana Childcare Program

I spent a week in Ghana on the Pink Childcare Program. My life had taken on new meaning! Thank you IVHQ for providing this platform for us to make a difference, where it's much needed. Pre planning support was always available. We were given adequate preparation advice, and in country support. I only wished I could have stayed longer! When I do return, it will be for a few more weeks. I've met some of the friendliest, kindest people in Ghana. I cannot wait to go back. Thank you again, so much!

Loved it. No recommendations at this time
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Juan - it's so awesome to hear you enjoyed your time in Ghana, and that you felt supported both prior to and during your program. We hope to see you again soon! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Victor

Ghana: Impact with safety

Volunteering abroad is a terrific experience. An in-depth cultural experience while helping those in need, it can really change your perspectives. Ghana is a great destination choice, people are great and welcoming, kids are really nice and it is a safe country to be in and travel around. IVHQ did a great job providing shelter, organizing my stay and enabling you to help wherever you want to. We also had really great local support, specially when with Evans, he will do the best so you can enjoy and feel safe in Ghana, the best guy! Highly recommended!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Victor - thanks for sharing your feedback about your experience in Ghana! It's awesome to hear you felt supported by IVHQ and our local team and that you enjoyed the cultural immersion experience that is available for volunteers on the Ghana Program. Thank you kindly for your contribution and we hope you have you join us again in the future! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Jessica

Ghana childcare program

The only way to describe my month in Ghana was that it was honestly the best 5 weeks of my life. From the moment I booked my IVHQ trip I knew it was going to be incredible but I never knew that it was going to change my life so much. The kids at Olive Program were the most amazing kids I've ever met and I loved every second of it. There was support all the way through from IVHQ which was great - whether it was being met at the airport, coming and checking on programs or phone calls every now and again to check everything was okay. Evans from IVHQ also organised a trip to Cape Coast with all the volunteers from orientation for the first weekend which was great to get to know everyone so we could organise our own weekend travels with them for future weekends. My program was so good and I loved that at Olive we could really get to know each of the kids because we lived with them and there were only around 35. We also got to try other things like teaching, cooking and helping on the farm when the kids were at school which was so fun. Exploring Ghana was such an adventure yet I always felt so safe and the people there are so lovely and friendly. I can't wait to go back I miss the kids so much already and if you're thinking about going you should definitely do it, it was the best thing I've ever done and you'll love it!

Henrik

An Experience of a Lifetime

Four months in Ghana has flown by! And it has been a blast! So many good times, with so many nice people. Whether it is the other volunteers or the locals, you will soon find yourself having a new familly, built up of people that once used to be strangers. You will meet people that are way diffrent from you, and realize how much you can learn from them. You will be in crazy, wierd and surreal situations that will take you far outside your comfort zone. But use these to learn about yourself, and grow as a person. Try to experience as much as possible. Don’t hold back. Because hey, you are in Africa!

Going with IVHQ has been a very good experience! I always felt safe, and cared for. The food was of high quality. The accommodation was absolutely fantastic. The staff was nice, welcoming and helpful. All in all, I’m very happy with my stay in Ghana! And I’m sure you will be aswell!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Henrik - It's great to read about your experience in Ghana, and it's so wonderful to hear you were able to step outside your comfort zone and learn from your new surroundings! Your advice to future volunteers is awesome, and I'm thrilled to hear your memories of your time on the program are nothing but fond ones. We wish you all the best. ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Dane'sha

Ghana medical program

I was at IVHQ Ghana medical program- purple program. I loved the organization of the program from start to finish. They made sure that all of my questions were answered and I felt secure in the program even prior to going. Every worker that I encounter was very helpful. Evans was a great program coordinator, that made sure everything was going well and smoothly while in Ghana. If there was anything that we needed like sim cards or whatever, he made it happen. The locals were very open and receptive to having volunteers around and helping. The assigned duties varied depending on the volunteers interests and skill levels, accommodating everyone's wants out of the program. We were able to work with students in areas near their schools doing wound care and malaria testing & treating and some of us were in the clinic as well helping as needed. While the accommodations were not what I was used to, I was grateful for the merging into the culture. Also, the basic "Twi" language lessons were very useful. In addition, I felt very safe in Ghana not just because the workers or security were around, but the country in general made me feel safe no matter where I went or who was with me. I would highly recommend the purple program in Ghana through IVHQ to everyone who is looking to experience a western African culture while helping where needed

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Dane'sha - It's wonderful to read about your time in Ghana on the Purple Program, and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience on the program. I'm glad to hear you felt supported by the local team throughout the duration of your time in Ghana and that you felt each volunteer was able to learn from and enjoy their experience, even with differing levels of ability. The safety of our volunteers is of the utmost importance, and it's so awesome to know you felt safe and secure wherever you went. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have you join IVHQ in the future!

Zahra

Evans Frankadua

My volunteer trip to Ghana would not have been the same without Evans. I travelled alone to Ghana and I went in with no expectations which was giving me a bit of anxiety. As soon as I landed I met Evans at the airport and he was an immediate help from that very moment. He had such a warm and friendly energy to him which made me comfortable. I was placed in the olive program when I arrived and I wasn't happy there. I was the only volunteer there so I felt a bit alone, so Evans arranged a move for me to the purple program without any questions. I stayed in frankadua for 5 weeks and felt at home. Every other week Evans would travel from Accra to frankadua to visit the purple group. He would check in on us, help around the house, cook us yummy meals, and just made sure everyone was happy with what they were doing. Evans always went the extra mile to assure that we were all satisfied and comfortable. One of the volunteers arranged a blood test for one of the orphanages in a different color group that I can’t remember but we had to drive there which took a little while. The test was for Malaria and so we all decided to volunteer and help out! Evans went out of his way to join us in the purple group and helped arranged our drive and also volunteered to help us when we arrived. He did not have to do that but Evans just has an amazing huge heart. I honestly do not know what we would have done without him there because things got a little confusing and it was organized well with the other group so Evans, of course came to the rescue and helped set it all up.

Another time Evans helped me feel safe and comfortable was when we were on our cape coast trip. On that trip volunteers stay in the room with all the bunk beds and I was so excited I thought it would be so much fun! Buuuttt I’m highly afraid of bugs especially cockroaches. They were crawling all over my bed and it seemed to have not bothered anybody else except me. I ran out of the room crying because I felt so uncomfortable and I wanted to go back home in that moment. I know I know everyone is thinking what a dramatic move! Haha but I can’t help it. I cannot sleep if there are bugs crawling on my pillow and bed. So I was outside I decided to stay up all night crying and Evans came out to check on everybody to see if they got to their room safe and sound. He saw me outside looking very sad so he came to me and asked if everything was ok. I told him the whole bug situation and he immediately offered two options for me to book me a hotel room or to get a nice clean room in the resort area. He didn’t make me feel bad for anything he just wanted to see me happy and comfortable and he took me to a clean room with a new blanket and new pillow and I felt so much better! Evans you are THE BEST and you are unforgettable you made me Ghana trip 1000x better and I thank you so much for that! May God bless you!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Zahra, Thanks for your wonderful review! We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Evans as it certainly sounds like he made your trip a success. Thanks again for sharing and for being an IVHQer!

Manuel

Volunteering in Ghana - Frankadua

When you embark for the first time on an international experience, you will certainly feel a wide range of emotions, from fear to enthusiasm. Well, do not be scared or hesitate on enrolling for a Volunteer Program in Ghana and here is why:
First, from the moment I got out of my plane, I felt always welcomed by the community and I must say that throughout my time there the staff and locals always helped me out when needed.
Second, there is no better way to know a country and its people than having the opportunity to spend time with them and live as they do. In Ghana, I guess I can say that everyone likes to talk and get to know new people and volunteers. Both kids and adults, you will love to have a word with you and show you around, show you how things are done there. As such, you will surely learn a lot with them!
Third, there´s no better way to live life than with a smile in your face! The tough conditions they live in might stun you, but their charisma, personality, energy, smile will certainly astonish you, because that is the way lie should be lived. That´s the way they live it, by being 100% alive!
Now I would like to introduce to you my experience more in details as well as give you some tips in case you are really considering going to Ghana. I´ve spent a simple month (4weeks) on the Purple Program that is running in the Frankadua and I must say that if it was today and if I could I would have enrolled for certainly more time. I was on the Sports Teaching Program, but I ended up doing several other things like marking exams, helping local teachers, teaching in the mornings during summer break and giving training/practice to the FC Bright Star team for 2hours every weekday. So it is up to you to just do what you have enrolled for or participate in as many things as you can.
In case you are unsure about what supplies you should bring, I would suggest you bringing notebooks, pencils, pens, erasers and some reading and coloring books (Teaching); footballs (soccer balls for the Americans), football boots (Sports Teaching); and then medical supplies such as bandages, oxygen peroxide, and other first aid supplies are always needed.
There´s more to do and to know in Ghana, so in case you are wondering IVHQ staff organizes weekend trips – Cape Coast, Wli Waterfalls, etc. - and you could also arrange them independently with other volunteers as I did when I went to Ada Foah.
I have enjoyed every single moment while in Ghana and words cannot describe the experience that I had that without a doubt changed by life.

I would like to thank IVHQ for such an opportunity!

My only criticism is the same expressed by other volunteers and it would be to ensure that the money is being distributed correctly, because sometimes it is not clear how the money is being used and if appropriately.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Manuel, thanks so much for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you felt welcomed and supported by the local community you were placed with in Ghana and it sounds like you certainly made the most of your volunteering and travelling experience. Thanks for providing details of your stay and recommendations for future volunteers. We would love to have you join us again in the future!

Maeve-Kathleen

Student nurse volunteering in Ghana

This summer I experienced the opportunity of a lifetime when I volunteered for two weeks in Ghana. I was part of a larger group of nursing students who belonged to the same community outreach program at our college.

Upon arrival to the airport in Ghana we realized how hands on the IVHQ team was going to be for us. Elvis immediately found us and was a smiling face that we knew we could rely on. This set the tone for us meeting the rest of the IVHQ Ghana team who could not have been any more welcoming or hospitable. Edward Adeli, Benedict Adeli, Nancy, Elvis, and Evans Kojo were so helpful in running this program and providing this experience for all of us. Evans in particular was with us almost 24/7 and when he was not with us it was because he was finding us supplies that we needed. He took on many roles whether it be organizer, assistant, tour guide, translator, and most importantly was a friend.

Our assignment was malaria testing for the Silver program, which included Patrick's orphanage and Savior School, as well as several communities near the Gold program. After we found the positives we also were able to provide the malaria medication for free. Mama Pat and Patrick were amazing hosts and my favorite memory of the entire trip was just playing games with the kids at Silver. The Gold program was also an amazing experience. Tina, Felix, Benjamin, and Giles took care of us and made sure everything went smoothly with our village outreach screenings. Another person who was instrumental in making our time here worthwhile was Eric Abaidoo. He came along with us to provide nursing expertise as well as acted as a translator and tour guide several times and I'm so glad we were able to meet him.

The weekend trips to Cape Coast and Kokrobite were well planned and provided much needed relaxation after our hard work during the week. (As a small side note, all of the food I was provided during this trip was amazing!!!)

I would not only recommend IVHQ Ghana to others (as I already have), but I would also like to come back either next summer or sometime soon after to volunteer again. The entire experience was life changing for me and I'm very happy that I went.

We brought medical supplies from home over to donate to the clinics, but we were not told beforehand which supplies in particular they would need the most so we kind of blindly chose to bring things, some of which did not seem to be needed. If we had a better idea of the medical care we would be providing then we could have planned better for the supplies we could bring.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Maeve-Kathleen, Thanks for sharing! We are thrilled to hear that your group had such a great experience on the program in Ghana. Our Ghana team is so warm, generous, and helpful so we are not surprised that they helped to make your experience go well. It is awesome that you would like to join us again in Ghana – we would be very happy to have you back!
Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...