Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Ghana from $270

Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Ghana from $270

Join IVHQ and volunteer abroad in Ghana! Highly affordable programs are available for anywhere from 1 week to 24 weeks in the greater Accra region of Ghana. At any given time, you can expect to be working with 20-50 other volunteers. Volunteers are welcomed to assist on a range of community-driven projects.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Ghana:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • Sports Education
  • Medical
  • Agriculture
  • Construction and Renovation

• Programs available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 20 and 50 IVHQ volunteers start in Argentina each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Ghana with fellow volunteers - see Wli Falls, Kakum National Park and more!
Africa » Ghana » Accra
Ghana Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

I hope not as this is the question I am asking.

Manuel

Volunteering in Ghana - Frankadua

When you embark for the first time on an international experience, you will certainly feel a wide range of emotions, from fear to enthusiasm. Well, do not be scared or hesitate on enrolling for a Volunteer Program in Ghana and here is why:
First, from the moment I got out of my plane, I felt always welcomed by the community and I must say that throughout my time there the staff and locals always helped me out when needed.
Second, there is no better way to know a country and its people than having the opportunity to spend time with them and live as they do. In Ghana, I guess I can say that everyone likes to talk and get to know new people and volunteers. Both kids and adults, you will love to have a word with you and show you around, show you how things are done there. As such, you will surely learn a lot with them!
Third, there´s no better way to live life than with a smile in your face! The tough conditions they live in might stun you, but their charisma, personality, energy, smile will certainly astonish you, because that is the way lie should be lived. That´s the way they live it, by being 100% alive!
Now I would like to introduce to you my experience more in details as well as give you some tips in case you are really considering going to Ghana. I´ve spent a simple month (4weeks) on the Purple Program that is running in the Frankadua and I must say that if it was today and if I could I would have enrolled for certainly more time. I was on the Sports Teaching Program, but I ended up doing several other things like marking exams, helping local teachers, teaching in the mornings during summer break and giving training/practice to the FC Bright Star team for 2hours every weekday. So it is up to you to just do what you have enrolled for or participate in as many things as you can.
In case you are unsure about what supplies you should bring, I would suggest you bringing notebooks, pencils, pens, erasers and some reading and coloring books (Teaching); footballs (soccer balls for the Americans), football boots (Sports Teaching); and then medical supplies such as bandages, oxygen peroxide, and other first aid supplies are always needed.
There´s more to do and to know in Ghana, so in case you are wondering IVHQ staff organizes weekend trips – Cape Coast, Wli Waterfalls, etc. - and you could also arrange them independently with other volunteers as I did when I went to Ada Foah.
I have enjoyed every single moment while in Ghana and words cannot describe the experience that I had that without a doubt changed by life.

I would like to thank IVHQ for such an opportunity!

My only criticism is the same expressed by other volunteers and it would be to ensure that the money is being distributed correctly, because sometimes it is not clear how the money is being used and if appropriately.

Maeve-Kathleen
USA

Student nurse volunteering in Ghana

This summer I experienced the opportunity of a lifetime when I volunteered for two weeks in Ghana. I was part of a larger group of nursing students who belonged to the same community outreach program at our college.

Upon arrival to the airport in Ghana we realized how hands on the IVHQ team was going to be for us. Elvis immediately found us and was a smiling face that we knew we could rely on. This set the tone for us meeting the rest of the IVHQ Ghana team who could not have been any more welcoming or hospitable. Edward Adeli, Benedict Adeli, Nancy, Elvis, and Evans Kojo were so helpful in running this program and providing this experience for all of us. Evans in particular was with us almost 24/7 and when he was not with us it was because he was finding us supplies that we needed. He took on many roles whether it be organizer, assistant, tour guide, translator, and most importantly was a friend.

Our assignment was malaria testing for the Silver program, which included Patrick's orphanage and Savior School, as well as several communities near the Gold program. After we found the positives we also were able to provide the malaria medication for free. Mama Pat and Patrick were amazing hosts and my favorite memory of the entire trip was just playing games with the kids at Silver. The Gold program was also an amazing experience. Tina, Felix, Benjamin, and Giles took care of us and made sure everything went smoothly with our village outreach screenings. Another person who was instrumental in making our time here worthwhile was Eric Abaidoo. He came along with us to provide nursing expertise as well as acted as a translator and tour guide several times and I'm so glad we were able to meet him.

The weekend trips to Cape Coast and Kokrobite were well planned and provided much needed relaxation after our hard work during the week. (As a small side note, all of the food I was provided during this trip was amazing!!!)

I would not only recommend IVHQ Ghana to others (as I already have), but I would also like to come back either next summer or sometime soon after to volunteer again. The entire experience was life changing for me and I'm very happy that I went.

We brought medical supplies from home over to donate to the clinics, but we were not told beforehand which supplies in particular they would need the most so we kind of blindly chose to bring things, some of which did not seem to be needed. If we had a better idea of the medical care we would be providing then we could have planned better for the supplies we could bring.

vicki
United Kingdom

IVHQ - Ghana - Incredible first travel experience

I travelled with IVQH this summer and it was my first time doing anything like this as I'm only 18. it was such an incredible experience and we had support 24/7. i was worried about not meeting any friends out there but i became so close with the other volunteers and still keep in touch with them now I'm back home.
every volunteer goes for a different reason but we all come back loving the experience thanks to IVHQ making it such an incredible and safe experience.

the only improvement i can think of is making the travel back to the airport from the program easier and have more communication with the program leader to help with this.

Emily

Ghana has stolen my heart

After spending a mere 6 weeks on the Purple Teaching program in this beautiful country, leaving Ghana is up there on my list of the hardest things I've ever had to do. From the moment I arrived I felt so welcomed by the community, and I continued to feel so connected throughout my time there with the help of the staff as well as the locals. I met so many beautiful souls; other volunteers, amongst whom I have made friends for life... locals, who were always willing to show you around the area and show how you do it Ghana style! and of course my students...
Teaching was an absolute blast. I had the privilege of teaching in 2 different schools within the village - the Roman Catholic School (where I taught English classes once a day, which enabled the current teacher to have a well earned break and which gave the students the chance to hear an English accent), and the Baptist School (where I spent the rest of the day teaching a range of subjects with another volunteer - the actual teacher was on leave, so without us, the students would have been left to their own devices with no teacher, so it was clear how much they appreciated us being there). The kids in my class taught me more than I could ever have taught them in the classroom. Their personalities are exploding... they're happy, they're hyper, they're intrigued, they're angry... they're SO alive. Their constant smiles, their energy and charisma is enough to lift you off the ground, especially considering the tough conditions they have to live in. If you are considering teaching, I would suggest bringing supplies such as pencils/pens (many of them didn't have their own), writing books (they have to buy their own in the schools and many of them don't have the money to do so, so they end up using scrap books), and perhaps some educational posters (multiplication tables, the alphabet, world atlas...). Also, the system is very different to that of England or America - so when you come, come with no expectations, and throw yourself into it.
Whilst I wasn't in the classroom I had some amazing experiences with weekend trips away to various places across Ghana, some of which we arranged independently, and others with the help of IVHQ staff (such as Evans) - we visited Wli waterfalls, Mole National Park, Ada Foah, Krokrobite, Cape Coast... If you come to Ghana, I urge you to go on as many trips away as possible to see what this amazing place has to offer!
I can honestly say that there wasn't a dull moment whilst in Ghana, it is a truly wonderful place. I am so grateful to IVHQ for the opportunity.

My only criticism would be to ensure that the money is being distributed correctly - we pay a lot of money to volunteer, yet it isn't always clear that the money we have paid is being used appropriately.

Delaney
Italy
Western Michigan University

My heart in Ghana

I spent two amazing weeks in Ghana, volunteering with IVHQ Turquoise Program at the Senya-Beraku Health Clinic.
Evans (who is your POC for the turquoise program) met me at the airport, on time and exactly where my instructions told me he would be. I had an obnoxiously large and heavy suitcase that I had filled with medical supplies for my work at the clinic. Evans did not hesitate to help me with it and lugged it down the street until we found a taxi. When we got to the volunteer house in Madina, he showed me around and introduced me to the staff. After I was settled, Evans helped to get my phone working with multiple package options with prices for pre-paid SIM cards. I was stressed because I had no local currency to pay him for the SIM card at that moment, he assured me we would find a reliable ATM in the morning and got my phone working that night anyway. Half way through my stay in Ghana, my phone ran low on data and Evans was able to help me again.
Getting to my placement in Senya was chaotic and long but Evans was so helpful and professional, explained everything to me along the way and answered all of my questions. Everyone stares at you, and tries to get your attention because you are clearly a foreigner, but I never felt unsafe with Evans, as he doesn’t let them harass you.
Once we reached the volunteer house in Senya, Evans introduced me to my local point of contact, Francis. We went over any unanswered questions and/or concerns before Evans left. Later I met Stephen and Seth, who were also my local people to contact. Evans continued to check in via text or phone call to make sure everything was going well and was so fast to respond if I ever needed him for something. Francis or Stephen stopped at the house almost every morning to check that everything was going well also.
When I started at the clinic, I was quickly thrown into the mix. I am a registered nurse so I was able to help with whatever they needed, though another girl with me was still in nursing school and also had no limitations. The staff was amazingly friendly and all very willing to teach. On my first day, I rode in the back of an ambulance to help transport a patient to the closest hospital about an hour away. I took vital signs/established initial patient rapport into the clinic, performed dressing changes, administered medications via IV and injection and helped with whatever else they needed.
I saw many people struggle to pay for care or the treatment that they needed. I saw people come in with malaria, in constant misery. I also noticed that many people who did not have health insurance would wait at least three days or more before they came into the clinic. Unfortunately, this always lead to a much bigger problem once they were finally seen.
I wanted to do more for the community that I was temporarily living in. Evans had told me on the first day that some volunteers have organized free malaria outreach projects in the past and that if I wanted to, he could help me get it started. So I started a fundraiser online to raise money for a free malaria outreach, provide health insurance to people who could not afford it and get some basic medical supplies for the clinic. With the help of Seth, the Chief of the clinic, Leticia (a local nurse) and many others, I was able to organize a free clinic in Senya to test and treat 400 people for malaria.
Trying to move money for such a large project was a little tricky but Evans came with me and we went to bank after bank until we finally were able to pull out the money we needed. After, Evans took me to the Accra market where I could find medical supplies for the clinic. I honestly could not have done any of it without him because I was crunched for time and had no idea where to go or how to do it.
The day of the outreach, I had so much help and everything went so smooth. Seth, Francis, Stephen and Evans all worked very hard to help me from start to finish. Leticia and other local nurses were there working all day as well.
I never felt unsafe or alone while I was in Ghana; someone from IVHQ was always there if I needed them. Meals were always on time and any issues I had were quickly resolved through Evans, Seth, Francis or Stephen. I started to feel ill after the first week and everyone was so attentive. Francis stopped at the house to check on me, Evans called and text me and kept tabs on me every day until I was feeling better. Everyone genuinely wants you to have a great experience so if there is any problem, please let someone know.
Senya is a small village, so finding things to do after ‘work’ was a little difficult. However, there was a bar close to our house, we walked around the village for street snacks and there are two great beaches close by that we went to often as well. Getting around was easy too, either by Tro Tro or Taxi, if we wanted to go to another town. One weekend all of the volunteers met up at Kokrobite beach, which was really fun, and I suggest you do, if you can all plan it. Evans also is the weekend master planner when it comes to anything Cape Coast and can set everything up for you if you wish to go.
I made so many great friends and wonderful memories during my short stay in Ghana. I had an overwhelming amount of support while I was there and if I ever needed something or wasn’t sure who to ask, I would call Evans and he would help me figure out who I needed to talk to or what needed to be done. Everyone was so great, but Evans went above and beyond every single day and is extremely willing to help you with anything. It was so hard to leave, and actually, I am already planning my return 
Packing Tip: I never wore my running shoes; they just took up space in my bag. I wore flip flops and TOMS style shoes my entire stay. The heat is tolerable; the humidity is what gets to you. STAY HYDRATED. I brought Pedialyte ® (ORS) drink mix packets to add to my water and they are GOLD; especially if you are not feeling well. I also brought my own personal pharmacy and had almost any medication you could think of, and I am so grateful that I did. Pack half the amount of clothes and twice the amount of baby wipes that you think you will need. Head lamp/flashlight was essential. Small backpack for traveling, big enough to hold your water and money and baby wipes was extremely handy. Bring a charged battery pack to charge your phone, because the power never fails to go out when your phone is about to die.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Delaney, What an awesome review, and what an incredible volunteer you are! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us your experience as a medical volunteer in Ghana. It sounds like the support provided by Evans was excellent, as per usual, and we will be sure to pass your kind words on to him. It is clear that you went into the program with passion and commitment and we are sure that this would have been noticed and appreciated by the other medical professionals at your placement. Thanks for your useful advise and for being an outstanding volunteer. We would love to have you join us again in the future!

S
birmingham

BEST TIME OF MY LIFE

I genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Ghana summer 2016. IVHQ were very friendly in the sense of how we were looked after. If we had any ideas or any other ways we wanted to contribute then we were provided with help and support. I was on the purple program, we taught at a local school which was a 3 minute walk away. The volunteer house is ample for everyone's needs and quite spacious. I expected less if I am honest but it is quick to see how big and 'modern' it is when in comparison with the houses surrounding it so be grateful. The house is placed in the middle of the community so children often play around it which is good because you are immersed into the community and can spend more time with the children but may also not be good if you get annoyed easily .. lol.
Evans Nkansah in particular made this trip smooth for me as if we had any concerns he would be sure to assist us in so. It really is a blessing having a IVHQ member who is helpful as it can be scary travelling to a foreign country alone for the first time. So thank you IVHQ for this experience,

Ways it could be improved is maybe WIFI in the accra volunteer house i know it is not always possible in the villages but WIFI in the main house would help as we just freshly come and woul dlike to get in touch with families and not wait around for sims.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi there, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to Ghana and felt well supported by IVHQ and our local team. We think that it is great that the volunteer house allows volunteers to be immersed in the community they are working in. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Thiago
Curitiba, Brazil

Ghana Style

Volunteering in Ghana was a great life experience. I went by myself and I quickly met the staff and other volunteers. I worked with childcare in Kasoa. The best part was the attention and love from the kids, who are really thankful for our presence.

Adeli and the local IVHQ were really helpful. Evans Kojo gave us 24h support. He helped us with tourist guidance, language, safety advice, acquiring cellphone service, and much more.

Internet service on my phone was good and not expensive. Local food was good. Drinking water (sold in 500ml sachets) was very cheap and easy to find. Public transportation (Trotro/Van) was quick and cheap. In the streets, there are small goats and chickens all around!

On the other hand, local vendors in the streets and craft markets can be annoying, not leaving you alone. Most of the kids in the streets ask for money. There’s also a huge numbers of churches and religious ads.

Visiting Cape Coast was awesome. Ghana is a beautiful country and Ghanaian people are very friendly. Ghana is also really safe. I recommend Ghana for first time travelers.

A little more training or tips on what to do to help the community.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Thiago, We are stoked to hear that the highlight of your experience in Ghana was the attention and love from the kids at your placement. Thanks for recommending IVHQ for first time travellers and for offering practical insight and advice on Ghana and the volunteer program we offer. We would love to have you join us again!

Lara
Philadelphia, PA, USA

Good introduction to Ghana

I participated in the agriculture program for 12 weeks. Going to Ghana through IVHQ was a good way to get introduced to a country I had never visited before and knew little about. The food and accommodations are great, and the staff is there to help with any questions or concerns that come up. The staff member Evans is particularly helpful, always responding promptly to calls or messages and willing to do anything that he can to make your experience in Ghana a positive one. He goes above and beyond his job description and generally leads a trip to Cape Coast with new volunteers, so you don’t have to worry about logistics and finding your own way for your first trip after only being in the country for a few days.
Doing the agriculture program was helpful for relating to the people of our village. Farming is a big part of life there, and I felt like part of the community because I was waking up in the mornings and going to the farm just like everyone else. We got to help out with planting seeds, maintaining the plants, and harvesting the food, and I got to see our hard work pay off with multiple food donations to the orphanages during my time there.
I also enjoyed the flexibility of being able to help with teaching and sports as well. The experience is very customizable and is really only limited by your creativity and level of motivation.

One ongoing point of frustration is that there isn't any reliable system in place that allows current volunteers to continue the programs and initiatives set up by past volunteers. For example, one volunteer will see a problem, raise money to help with the problem, and set up a program that, once the money runs out, simply ends. The current volunteers don't necessarily know that the program exists and may end up duplicating it or just allowing it to end even if they would have been interested in helping, had they known.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lara, Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear that participating on the Agriculture project in Ghana made you feel like a part of the community. It sounds like you really got stuck into the volunteer work and were able to see the benefits of the project. Thanks for your feedback regarding the continuation of volunteer initiatives – this is something that we will be sure to take on board. It has been fantastic to have you volunteer with us and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program in the future.

Samantha
ND

First time in Ghana!

I've always wanted to do some international volunteering since I was a young child and saw the need for it advertised on TV. December of 2016 I finally got my chance, but only for 2 weeks. I say "only" because it flew by so quick I wish I could've stayed longer. I participated in the childcare program in Ghana and loved every second of it, from the IVHQ/VCO staff to the locals to the children...the food...the weekend traveling...the way of life in the village, just everything! I feel like I didn't even scratch the surface on the experience I could've had, had I stayed longer, but I couldn't take anymore time off from work back home. Whether you go for 2 months or 2 weeks you will no doubt have a life changing experience and meet friends for life in the other volunteers and local people. Make sure you take advantage of the trips to Cape Coast and Kakum National Park. See some water falls. Stop by a coconut and cocoa fruit stand and try one of each. Try the Fanmilk products (FanYogo, FanIce, FanChoco, FanDango) you won't be disappointed! And if from the USA, take larger bills to exchange ($50, $100) as you will get a better exchange rate at a Forex Bureau (don't exchange at the airport).

Don't wait around - get planning - you will have the time of your life!!!!!

I can't really say because it is the first time I've volunteered abroad so I have nothing to compare to. I took in the whole experience and enjoyed every second. Just remember, everything that happens, whether you think good or bad, is all part of the adventure!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha, Thanks so much for your awesome review and for encouraging potential volunteers to “get planning”. It is great to hear that you had a life changing experience despite the time constraints. I am sure you would have loved to stay longer but it sounds as though you really made the most of the time available to you. Thanks for joining us in Ghana! We would love to have you volunteer with us again.

Sierra
Zebulon
Appalachian State University

Worthwhile and Life changing

Traveling to Ghana with IVHQ changed my perspective of the world. I made lifelong friendships with fellow volunteers and locals that I continue to cherish. One of my favorite moments during this month long journey in Dodowa, Ghana was spent teaching kindergarteners the English alphabet. It was hard to get them to focus, as you'd expect with little ones, but by the end of the class day, they were all excited to show me how they could draw the first 5 letters without help. Watching the children learn and blossom and develop was the most rewarding thing I could have asked for about this experience. I would love to go again and I'd recommend IVHQ and their Ghana program to anyone!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sierra, Thanks for sharing this lovely story from your time volunteering in Ghana. It is so rewarding to be able to witness children learning - the way they can absorb new information is incredible. We are stoked to hear that you also made life-long friendships while on the program, Thanks for recommending IVHQ!
Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Fernanda
Mexico City

IVHQ Ghana Purple

When I first got to my placement I was very overwhelmed. The house was pretty good but the toilet situation really bothered me for a while.
I loved my program, the people and the kids were great. The kids are the best part of the experience, they are so caring, so sweet and with great will to learn.
It was the best experience of my life, I learned a lot about myself and what I'm able to do; for me and for others. I met awesome people there, I made great friends and I would love to go back someday

I think it's a great program but i would like to see some of the money we pay go to the children and the improvement of the schools, at least a little bit. it would make a big difference.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Fernanda, It is awesome to hear that you loved the program in Ghana! It is great that you were able to learn about yourself and your capabilities. The photo of you and your students is beautiful. We would love to have you back someday.

Tolu
Lagos, Nigeria

AWESOME EXPERIENCE IN GHANA!

I went to Ghana on the 13th of September to volunteer at a medical clinic in Frankadua, about 2 hours by bus, North East from Accra. It was part of the 'purple program' which consists of other kinds of volunteering endeavours such as education and agriculture.
When I arrived in Ghana, I was duly picked up at the airport by the staff of IVHQ. We spent the first night at the volunteer house in Accra which was just a temporary stop where all volunteers went to for their orientation. Everyone was very welcoming and also very accommodating. I got to meet other volunteers from other parts of the world and become acquainted with them.
The next day was our orientation and afterwards we travelled to our individual placements. Our interim program coordinator, Evans was (and still is) very apt in recognizing the needs of volunteers and offering solid, tangible solutions. Some of the things he was able to help with in my case for example were things like acquiring a Ghanian SIM card to communicate with my friends and family. He also escorted us to the purple program and helped get us settled in. He was available round-the-clock to answer any questions we may have about the program, donations, the culture, what to expect, etc. I can honestly say that I didn't go into the purple program with any doubt about what to expect.
There is a volunteer house right within the community that is pretty much a hotspot where a lot of the locals come to hang out and get better acquainted with the international volunteers. The volunteers I stayed with were extremely friendly. We got along quite nicely.
My time in Ghana was actually short. I was only able to do a week due to the amount of time I was able to take off work. But within that week, we did a lot. We went to cape coast, saw the cape coast castle where slaves were held prior to shipment, we went to the Kakum National Park for a hike and also went to pet crocodiles as well.
The clinic in Frankadua is the only clinic in the community and where most of the locals go for medical their medical needs. It functions primarily as a malaria clinic and practically all the clients would get tested for malaria test post-triage/ initial assessment. If there are any differential diagnoses out of the scope of the clinic, or seemingly idiopathic in nature, the patients are referred to one of the bigger hospitals in the neighbouring cities. Other common ailments include anemia, gastroenteritis, etc. Mama Christine who runs the clinic is very adept. There are other staff nurses and a lab technician that work there. There is a governmental run insurance program for Ghanians and so a lot of the time, the clinical visits are covered by the government which I thought was very progressive and encouraging.
There is also a maternity ward for labour and delivery and about 8 beds or so for admitting patients. Pregnant soon-to-be mothers are routinely checked upon and the clinic does monthly out reach programs for post-partum mothers at different parts of the community.
All in all, its safe to say that you won't be disappointed to volunteer here at the medical program with IVHQ at Frankadua.
Have a great day.
Tolu.

The clinic does require some more up-to-date technology as well as funding for the construction project.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tolu, Thank you for sharing. It sounds like your week on the Medical Project in Ghana went very smoothly. We are glad that the local team and the other volunteers warmly welcomed you; this is such a nice way to begin your program! Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love to have you join us again.

Rana
Berkeley, California, USA

Beautiful Soil and Souls

Through my journey to this beautiful land I learned about happiness, love and life. Before leaving, I thought, I would contribute and help but instead, I was helped.
I was introduced to a beautiful world and learned how beautiful life can be.
Hardworking, strong, kindhearted people who would share their bread and their smile with you.
I am honored and blessed to meet people who work hard to bring happiness and comfort for others.
Thank you Benjamin. Elvis, Godfred, Tina, Benedikt, Prince for your leadership and for teaching me the importance in life and all the beautiful children and local people to bring happiness to my life.
I felt home and I will always consider this beautiful land as my home.

This program could be improved by more financial support, donations and supplies from individuals and organizations who can contribute.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rana, We love your poetic words and beautiful photographs – thanks so much for sharing. It would be our pleasure to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Kathryn
Brentwood, Tennessee

Changed in the best way

I was in the pink program in Dodowa and it was the most challenging but rewarding thing I've ever done. I loved every second of my experience and I'm planning on going back for 2 months in June 2017. Not only were the kids incredible and humbling, but the other volunteers I met will be friends for life. The only thing I would change is how much money IVHQ told us to bring. I had no problem spending it, but I wish I would have known beforehand so I could have raised more for the kids. Otherwise, it was LIFE CHANGING and everyone should do it.

The amount of money that was suggested to bring.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kathryn, Thanks for your recommendation and great review. We will be sure to take this on board in regards to the advice we provide to future volunteers. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we can’t wait to have you back in June!

Charlotte
Préverenges

Akumasi festival

If you are in Senya in August, there is a big festival. Everybody are dancing in the street and the atmosphere is incredible! I could just spend hours walkings in the streets... And it is the same all the day! Approximatelly 4 days that you cannot forget! Even if you don't know how to dance, you can just buy an ice cream and watch the battle between incredible dancers. It is a nice way to meet and know the people who live here.

Encourage the volontiers to go out after the diner! Not to spend all the night, but just to walk until the beach or just in Senya. First we didn't go out because it was told to be dangerous to be out in the dark. But your can meet a lot of people there. And you have food, musics aso...

In the turquoise program, you can go to the communities to give tests and traitments for malaria. It was the most incredible experience we had, but you have to pay for the tests and traitments. You know you can do that just when you are there... and after it is complicate to ask your friends and family for money. It would be better if the volontiers could know that befor arriving there so they can have time to raise money! Because it is really usefull for the people in Senya and around who have no money to have tests or traitments.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Charlotte, What a great tip! The Akumasi festival sounds amazing. Thanks for your recommendation and for being a great volunteer.

Liam
Brisbane
University of Queensland

Construction in Ghana

I loved Ghana - the people are the friendliest on Earth. I was placed at a small village called Asempaneye where we helped make a toilet for the school. Construction here moves a lot slower - you have to make all your own bricks! But it's super fun and the work is not hard, you get lots of free time. The social scene and weekend travel were amazing, get in touch with Evans and he will organize a tro-tro (minibus) to take you wherever you want to go.

Perhaps improve the airport pickup - I wasn't able to find the IVHQ contact and used a local's phone to call the volunteer house. Of course the local then demanded money for credit (even though he had offered in the first place). Don't give them any though.
Also the bunk beds at the Gold Program need more nails.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Liam, Thanks so much for your recommendation and tips. That is an excellent video. We hope to have you volunteer on another IVHQ program in the future!

Connor

IVHQ Ghana

I had a great time on my IVHQ Ghana trip. I was in Senya in Ghana for one month volunteering. Staff member Evans Nkansah was really great. He helped me in so many ways and was a great host and representative of the country. Benedict Adeli was also very helpful. Africa really is a great place to visit. Thank you so much IVHQ!
....................................................................................................................................................

I had a great time on my IVHQ Ghana trip. I was in Senya in Ghana for one month volunteering. Staff member Evans Nkansah was really great. He helped me in so many ways and was a great host and representative of the country. Benedict Adeli was also very helpful. Thank you so much IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Connor, It is absolutely our pleasure. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Riley
Trappe
Saint Joseph's University

3 Week Medical at Turquoise Program

I had a wonderful 3 weeks at the turquoise program! The IVHQ staff was supportive throughout my entire time in Ghana. They checked in often to make sure everything was going well at the clinic and at the housing, and they even helped me plan weekend trips. The program itself offered many opportunities to help both at the clinic and at orphanage with the childcare program. I would highly recommend this program!

As far as the medical work itself it would have been helpful to know ahead of time what would be needed most at the clinic, both to prepare for the work and to bring appropriate donations.

Julie
Paris

Two weeks in Ghana

I spent two weeks in Ghana with IVHQ at the Potters Village in Dodowa, and I don't regret my decision : this was the best trip of my life.
First, because for once I wasn't a tourist. I had the opportunity to discover a small town, to feel connected with the people there and to be part of something. I was fed up with going to places, take pictures, and come back with the feeling that I had been of no use to the people there and talked to no one except taxi drivers and hotel staff. This time, I can say I know more about the country I visited, and I must say that it is worth talking and spending time with the people in Ghana as they are the most welcoming people I ever met.
Secondly, because I met those extraordinary kids who changed my life for ever. Two weeks is a short stay, but they give you so much during those two weeks that it just breaks you heart to leave... These children open their arms to you and give you a great lesson. I was lucky to be able to teach French during my stay, and seeing them so eager to learn was moving. I have never wanted to be a teacher, but I could teach these children for the rest of my life.
Finally, the IVHQ team is perfect. They assist you with your arrival and they stay in touch once at your placement. I had lots of questions in my mind before going, but they all received answers, and when I landed, I knew exactly what would happen and where I was going.
In brief, this was an amazing experience that I recommand to anyone who wants to volunteer in Africa, especially for the first time.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julie, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your time volunteering in Ghana. We loved having you on the program and we are glad we could provide such a memorable experience for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Nakita
Victoria, Australia
La Trobe University

IVHQ Ghana

The Childcare program in Ghana was better than anything I've ever experienced. The highlight for me was saving a child off the streets and taking her to clinics to get better. Along with other volunteers, I helped get this child into the orphanage I was helping at, which is an incredible feeling. The support the orphanage staff showed with our persistence to help this child was amazing and it was great to see how helpful they were in assisting us reach our goals. Working with other volunteers to get this child into the orphanage was very satisfying. It's great to see like minded people, sharing common goals and interests, working together to help other communities around the world.
Additionally to this, I loved the opportunities for weekend travel and meeting new people. All the staff I met were great and the children I helped at the school and the orphanage are amazing and I miss them so much. I can't wait to go back!

The airport pick up was very unprofessional and scary. I had already experienced some drama at the airport and I was told the staff at IVHQ would have ID to collect me. After I'd already been in a bit of a pickle, I found the IVHQ staff member, but he didn't have any form of ID on him besides a shirt and a piece of paper (which is easy to manipulate). I was quite scared and hesitant to go with the staff member. Luckily there was already another volunteer waiting, otherwise I wouldn't have gone.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nakita, Thanks for sharing a little from your volunteer experience in Ghana. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to