Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Ghana from $270

Coast
Coast
SCOPE team
SCOPE team

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Ghana? Then join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, in Africa!

Choose from 6 volunteer project options based in rural villages and townships within the Greater Accra Region. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated dormitory-style volunteer houses, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Ghana, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you’re all about authentic experiences, diving deep into culture, exploring a country that moves to a vibrant beat, and searching for opportunities to grow, give back and make real connections, then volunteering in Ghana is for you!

• IVHQ’s Ghana program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure training.
  • You’ll be joining between 20 and 50 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Ghana each month and you'll be joining a network of 100,000+ volunteers.
  • Weekends are free to explore with fellow volunteers - discover the history of the culturally significant Cape Coast, wander through Kakum National Park and more!

I hope not as this is the question I am asking.

Rugile

No doubts

It was the best experience ever. I learned a lot of about culture, met amazing people. I felt like I could help and felt appreciated. The program was amazing, everything planned well, I always felt safe and surrounded by other volunteers. Looking forward to come back! If you have any doubts - just don’t. I promise, it’s gonna be the time of your life! Everything was better then I expected: responsable people took us form the airport, since then we never been left alone, food was just AMAZING, I could even say that was the most delicious meals I’ve ever had. We helped a lot for local people and it inspired me so much. We spent a lot of time talking about local culture, learning how to cook, sing, dance, make clothes. I’ve got really used to the atmosphere and it became my home. I highly recommend to go volunteering abroad, because it thought me how to live to the fullest every single day.

I would try to improve medical program with free transportation and bigger amount of medication, so it would be possible to visit more communities
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rugile, Thanks so much for your review of the Ghana program. The contribution that you made on the Medical project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with us at IVHQ again soon. ^ Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Pia Sophia

Life changing — Ghana stole my heart!

2 months in Ghana was enough to convince me to return and visit again as soon as I possibly can. Naturally you become part of a really huge family and easily become knitted into a very welcoming community. By far this was the best summer of my life. You meet incredible people from all over the world who arrive at your same destination with the intention to address the needs of the community and help as much as they possibly can. It was refreshing to come across numerous solo travelers such as myself.

Being a young female traveling solo, safety was a concern to many of my loved ones back home. Traveling and working through IVHQ granted my family and I the security I needed to spend my summer in Africa with the confidence that I was in good hands. Every journey has its bumps; I did fall sick a number of times, but with the support and attention of the IVHQ staff Evans I was able to recover and enjoy most of my time in Ghana. The IVHQ staff were very attentive with my needs, safety, and concerns, while also doing an amazing job at assuring my time in Ghana was enjoyable. At my placement, I had the pleasure of working with IVHQ staff members Evans and Andrew. I don’t know what this journey would have been without them. They both were great at making my placement feel like home and their presence granted the security that made my stay as comfortable as it was.

I had the time of my life to say the least. The rest is for you to travel, see, and experience yourself. The phrase TIA (This is Africa) is forever ingrained in my memory. Everyone’s experience is unique to their perspective of the world, so make the most of the journey to Ghana. Arrive with an open mind and attitude to trying new things. You will leave with the richest experience and create the most beautiful bonds with those experiencing it with you.

My time was spent in Frankadua, Ghana where my time was invested into several of the programs offered. IVHQ was very good about being flexible with the work you can get involved with, allowing for the most immersive experience. I spent my summer teaching, assisting with childcare, agriculture, and assisting the medical program with wound care. My advice would be to not be scared to create bonds and really get to know the community. Doing this will truly allow you to understand the greater needs of the village, which will allow you the creative freedom to help in ways beyond what you expected upon arrival. This can encourage great initiatives for the village during your stay or even in the future.

By far, this was one of the most meaningful, unforgettable experiences of a lifetime. I will never forget the amount of warmth and love that made up my time in Ghana.
Best wishes and safe travels!

Kavita

Ghana: My Beautiful Family

There are no words that can truly describe this journey. From the start, IVHQ staff in particular, Evans and the locals were so welcoming and took great care of us all. I was on the medical outreach and childcare program in Frankadua (Eastern Region). The medical outreach involved malaria testing in schools as well as feminine hygiene education. When volunteering, it's your character and determination that makes a change. The staff were open to new ideas and projects, so for anyone considering this come with an open mind. The families and children are so loving and special, words don't do justice. Frankadua became my second home and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to spread love, happiness and make a lasting impact. Thank you!

Lauren

I Left My Heart in Ghana

My volunteer trip to Ghana was one of a kind. The IVHQ team on the ground, Felix, Mama T, Evans, and Benjamin work very hard to make your time in Ghana enjoyable and safe. As a volunteer on the childcare program in Asempaneye, I had a wonderful time getting to know the children and being part of their learning experience in the classroom. Volunteers also have the opportunity to explore the touristy parts of Ghana, more specifically Cape Coast, where the trip includes accommodation for the weekend, tours of Elmina and Cape Coast Castle, a traditional fire dance and party at Oasis Hotel and more! To the IVHQ team, thank you so much for the program, support and love you've shown to me and our volunteer group. God Bless I will miss you all! <3

Come with an open mind and open heart, you won't be disappointed!
Charles

4 months wasn’t enough

I had the best time of my life! I wish I could go back in time to relive it! The community was amazing! So friendly and hospitable, that they treat you like family. The staff are amazing! Evans has such good attention to detail, understands well the needs of other volunteers, and is basically just a friend to us all. Andrew is so good at his job. You can tell he cares a lot about Frankadua and the wider communities. And Rita, Millie and Abigail are so kind and good at what they do. The volunteer house was good! Not perfect but it felt like home... so perfect enough. I have really have no complaints. I think that it really depends on mindset, so if you go in with positivity, you will have an amazing time. I can’t wait to come back and see everyone there!

-c

The organisation of things. I did childcare. And there is not really an established childcare project to do
Danae

Best thing I ever did

I loved my time at IVHQ Ghana so much so that two weeks just wasn't enough and I ended up staying for another week (even that wasn't long enough) . From arrival through to departure I felt extremely safe and supported and the staff will always have a special place in my heart . A huge thank you to the fantastic team: Evans, Philix, Tina and Benjamin and pre-arrival support from Meika. It was a life changing experience that has to taught me so much and left me with memories and friends from all over the world. Ghana is a very beautiful part of the world where the smiles, love and hospitality from from the locals, especially the children will stay with you for life and make you start planning your next trip back the moment you are home. Medaase

What was your funniest moment?
Being called up on stage twice to dance with the locals when on weekend excursions. Beware: Ghanians are extremely good dancers and I most certainly am not. Although you will have a lot of fun and really good laugh from giving it a go!
Katherine

Great experience!

Ivhq Ghana was the experience of a lifetime! I did the medical program and loved it. I went with friends and made a lot of new friends there. It was a very eye opening experience, I was able to learn a lot of new things and practice skills I already had. The Ivhq staff were so helpful before I left for the trip. They answered all of my questions quickly and helped me to adequately prepare for the trip. Once there, the staff were very friendly and helpful in country. I felt safe the entire time and there was always someone I could get help from. I really enjoyed getting to know so many locals and play with a lot of cute kids. I also really enjoyed weekend trips to see different parts of the country. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Banku, kenke, and fufu! I had lots of new and traditional food.
michaela

My Experience in Ghana

My experience traveling through IVHQ was something I will never forget. I was blown away right from the beginning by the support from all the staff. My phone was stolen during the beginning of my trip and Evans immediately guided me to get a police report and new phone. If anything ever goes wrong on your trip, you will surely be assisted. Evans is especially helpful and comforting to all volunteers when any problem arises. The programs are very flexible so if you decide you want to change, it will be very easy for you to do so. The people in Ghana are so welcoming and kind. There are also trips that they organize for the volunteers to experience things such as cape coast, the monkey sanctuary, waterfalls, and more. It is an overall wonderful experience of helping others and exploring the world!

Ghana is almost always very hot so I suggest you bring some kind of fan!
Alister

Ghana

Excellent experience with excellent people!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The weekend trips were well organised and fun.
The volunteering was very rewarding and fun.
The children out there were just the best and I will miss them so much. They were so happy and excited to meet you and let them into their life and inquisitive about your life. They loved seeing photos from home hearing about your family and life back home.

Overall an amazing life changing experience. I will definitely be looking to go on other adventures with this company as they made everything easy and accessible. The advice given before travelling was very useful and also the Facebook groups with posts from previous volunteers gave good advice for things to bring and things that were not totally necessary.

Hilary

Purple Program in Frankadua

I can't say enough about the amazing time I had while volunteering in Ghana. I was only able to spend a week volunteering but felt like I made a huge difference in that short of time. Everyone in the village was very welcoming and friendly to us "foreigners" as they would call us. Our main projects in Frankadua were the outreach malaria testing and wound care. I felt very safe while I was there which

A special shout out to Evans took charge in making sure we were always taken care of, would answer any of our questions, made sure we were safe when we visited Cape Coast one weekend, and would check in on us to make sure we were all having a good time and I truly appreciate that. I also can't say enough about the cook we had, Rita, who made amazing meals for us each day, I miss the red red!

I can't wait to be able to come back to Ghana one day.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I wish I could have spent more than a week volunteering.
Malek
No, I don't recommend this program

Unforgettable experience

It was only two weeks in Ghana, but I've never felt more useful and productive in my life, it was an awesome experience with a lot of exciting stories to tell. The locals were so friendly and welcoming. The staff were helpful, and they know exactly what to do, special thank you to Evans who was really cooperative, understanding and responsible. He helped me a lot even when he's out of work. He did the job and always makes sure that we're satisfied with it. Also Andrew the program manager in the purple program, he got everything planned, and kept each of the medical program members busy. He makes everything clear and organized. And always welcoming feedbacks and listen to the volunteers comments. Last thing to say if you want to experience Africa, Ghana is the right place

Kelsey

IVHQ - Ghana

Volunteering abroad through IVHQ was an easy process that lead to an amazing experience. It's an opportunity to meet other like minded people from all over the world who are there to make an impact in the community you travel to. The staff and other volunteers made it easy for an individual to join in and feel welcomed from the start. You are able to emerge yourself into the culture to help in the areas of your choice and are also given time to explore the surrounding areas. The accommodations given to you meets your needs, is safe, and the staff is willing to help you in any way they can. This organization was affordable and available to help you while you prepare for your adventure. I highly recommend IVHQ to anyone who is looking for an opportunity to serve others abroad.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I were to do this all over again, the only thing I would change is the length of my program. I chose two weeks, and I wasn't ready to come home at the end of it.
Read my full story
Dakota

When in Ghana!

Having never traveled in my life I was unsure of what to expect when Volunteering with IVHQ Ghana. What I came to find was lifelong friends, community emergence, and a sense of really being able to be apart of the lives of so many beautiful souls. This program is flexible and 100% all about what you make it. You're provided the opportunity to engage in more programs than just your own (and I highly encourage that). Evans and Andrew lead in a way that not only makes the living environment fun, but also takes any requests or help you need seriously. I never once felt unsafe or uneasy with this program. I highly suggest going on all the weekend trips that are offered as well. It makes for an amazing experience both within and without the program. Bring bug stray and sunscreen!

It is Africa so remember it is hot. That may sound like common knowledge but you'd be surprised how many people still complain. Sunscreen and bug spray is your best friends.
Aaron

Locals make this experience truly unforgettable

I wrote a ton on http://www.goabroad.com/providers/international-volunteer-hq/programs/affordable-volunteer-abraod-programs-from-usd-10-per-day-60389 but I highly suggest you read what I wrote on this website.

I will add only that the local team made this experience unforgettable: from Day 1, I felt like I was welcomed like family into the community that had me. Whether it was being transported from the airport to a local volunteer accommodation, going on a weekend trip to local Cape coast, provided a language and culture-related orientation, or just joking with the team, Benjamin Ansare, Evans Nakash, Edward Adeli, Benedict Adeli, Godfreid, Tina and Felix, Elvis, and Nana made this experience truly amazing! Not only that, the volunteers I worked with are all super quality people, and IVHQ does a fantastic job at doing a background check on who they bring to the program.

My only regret is not having more than 13 days in Ghana (9 of which were with the program and 4 were on my own), as I really misss everyone! haha. Thank you IVHQ Ghana for being awesome and just making me feel welcome into your community. I am humbled my your respect and open hearts (and funny jokes ^_^)!

My only improvement would be to show pictures of what the sites look like so that people are aware of how the living quarters look. For me, it was no problem, but I know some volunteers I heard talked about how what they saw (i.e. bunkbeds) was not what they expected.
Ashley

Best experience of my life!

Highly recommended program! I’m from the U.S. and spent a month in Ghana with the childcare program. It was the best experience ever. I truly immersed myself with the culture and made friends with locals and other volunteers. We were located in Frankadua, Ghana. I loved our location. Close to a main road, markets, farms, bars, churches, and schools. The ivhq staff at the program were awesome too. Shout out to Evans and Andrew for doing an awesome job and being so helpful. Not only did I help kids and the community, but I had fun too. Weekend trips were a great way to see and experience more of Ghana. We spent a weekend in cape coast and visited the beach and castles located there. Another weekend we went to wli waterfalls and visited a monkey sanctuary. Great program!

Stay for at least one month! I was originally supposed to stay for 2 weeks but after my first week I realized that was way too short and extended my stay. A month was a good amount of time and should be a minimum if you really want to embrace the culture and make more of an impact.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for leaving a review, Ashley! I'm glad to hear you had such an incredible time in Ghana and were able to see your impact each day. I'm sure the kids were extremely grateful. We can't wait to have you join us again soon :) Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Location:
90 F / 73 F
Airports:
Kotoka International Airport
( ACC )

Accra is the capital of Ghana and has been on the rise for the past 20 years. This multilingual country has offers museums, cultural centers, and beaches.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...