Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Ghana from $270

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Ghana? Then join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, in Africa!

You can choose from 6 volunteer project options based in rural villages and townships within the Greater Accra Region. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated dormitory-style volunteer houses, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Ghana, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you’re all about authentic experiences, diving deep into culture, exploring a country that moves to a vibrant beat, and searching for opportunities to grow, give back and make real connections, then volunteering in Ghana is for you!

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Ghana:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • Sports Education
  • Medical
  • Agriculture
  • Construction and Renovation
  • IVHQ’s Ghana program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure training.
  • You’ll be joining between 20 and 50 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Ghana each month and you'll be joining a network of 80,000+ volunteers.
  • Weekends are free to explore with fellow volunteers - discover the history of the culturally significant Cape Coast, wander through Kakum National Park and more!

I hope not as this is the question I am asking.

Juan

Ghana Childcare Program

I spent a week in Ghana on the Pink Childcare Program. My life had taken on new meaning! Thank you IVHQ for providing this platform for us to make a difference, where it's much needed. Pre planning support was always available. We were given adequate preparation advice, and in country support. I only wished I could have stayed longer! When I do return, it will be for a few more weeks. I've met some of the friendliest, kindest people in Ghana. I cannot wait to go back. Thank you again, so much!

Loved it. No recommendations at this time
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Juan - it's so awesome to hear you enjoyed your time in Ghana, and that you felt supported both prior to and during your program. We hope to see you again soon! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Victor

Ghana: Impact with safety

Volunteering abroad is a terrific experience. An in-depth cultural experience while helping those in need, it can really change your perspectives. Ghana is a great destination choice, people are great and welcoming, kids are really nice and it is a safe country to be in and travel around. IVHQ did a great job providing shelter, organizing my stay and enabling you to help wherever you want to. We also had really great local support, specially when with Evans, he will do the best so you can enjoy and feel safe in Ghana, the best guy! Highly recommended!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Victor - thanks for sharing your feedback about your experience in Ghana! It's awesome to hear you felt supported by IVHQ and our local team and that you enjoyed the cultural immersion experience that is available for volunteers on the Ghana Program. Thank you kindly for your contribution and we hope you have you join us again in the future! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Jessica

Ghana childcare program

The only way to describe my month in Ghana was that it was honestly the best 5 weeks of my life. From the moment I booked my IVHQ trip I knew it was going to be incredible but I never knew that it was going to change my life so much. The kids at Olive Program were the most amazing kids I've ever met and I loved every second of it. There was support all the way through from IVHQ which was great - whether it was being met at the airport, coming and checking on programs or phone calls every now and again to check everything was okay. Evans from IVHQ also organised a trip to Cape Coast with all the volunteers from orientation for the first weekend which was great to get to know everyone so we could organise our own weekend travels with them for future weekends. My program was so good and I loved that at Olive we could really get to know each of the kids because we lived with them and there were only around 35. We also got to try other things like teaching, cooking and helping on the farm when the kids were at school which was so fun. Exploring Ghana was such an adventure yet I always felt so safe and the people there are so lovely and friendly. I can't wait to go back I miss the kids so much already and if you're thinking about going you should definitely do it, it was the best thing I've ever done and you'll love it!

Henrik

An Experience of a Lifetime

Four months in Ghana has flown by! And it has been a blast! So many good times, with so many nice people. Whether it is the other volunteers or the locals, you will soon find yourself having a new familly, built up of people that once used to be strangers. You will meet people that are way diffrent from you, and realize how much you can learn from them. You will be in crazy, wierd and surreal situations that will take you far outside your comfort zone. But use these to learn about yourself, and grow as a person. Try to experience as much as possible. Don’t hold back. Because hey, you are in Africa!

Going with IVHQ has been a very good experience! I always felt safe, and cared for. The food was of high quality. The accommodation was absolutely fantastic. The staff was nice, welcoming and helpful. All in all, I’m very happy with my stay in Ghana! And I’m sure you will be aswell!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Henrik - It's great to read about your experience in Ghana, and it's so wonderful to hear you were able to step outside your comfort zone and learn from your new surroundings! Your advice to future volunteers is awesome, and I'm thrilled to hear your memories of your time on the program are nothing but fond ones. We wish you all the best. ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Dane'sha

Ghana medical program

I was at IVHQ Ghana medical program- purple program. I loved the organization of the program from start to finish. They made sure that all of my questions were answered and I felt secure in the program even prior to going. Every worker that I encounter was very helpful. Evans was a great program coordinator, that made sure everything was going well and smoothly while in Ghana. If there was anything that we needed like sim cards or whatever, he made it happen. The locals were very open and receptive to having volunteers around and helping. The assigned duties varied depending on the volunteers interests and skill levels, accommodating everyone's wants out of the program. We were able to work with students in areas near their schools doing wound care and malaria testing & treating and some of us were in the clinic as well helping as needed. While the accommodations were not what I was used to, I was grateful for the merging into the culture. Also, the basic "Twi" language lessons were very useful. In addition, I felt very safe in Ghana not just because the workers or security were around, but the country in general made me feel safe no matter where I went or who was with me. I would highly recommend the purple program in Ghana through IVHQ to everyone who is looking to experience a western African culture while helping where needed

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Dane'sha - It's wonderful to read about your time in Ghana on the Purple Program, and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience on the program. I'm glad to hear you felt supported by the local team throughout the duration of your time in Ghana and that you felt each volunteer was able to learn from and enjoy their experience, even with differing levels of ability. The safety of our volunteers is of the utmost importance, and it's so awesome to know you felt safe and secure wherever you went. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have you join IVHQ in the future!

Zahra

Evans Frankadua

My volunteer trip to Ghana would not have been the same without Evans. I travelled alone to Ghana and I went in with no expectations which was giving me a bit of anxiety. As soon as I landed I met Evans at the airport and he was an immediate help from that very moment. He had such a warm and friendly energy to him which made me comfortable. I was placed in the olive program when I arrived and I wasn't happy there. I was the only volunteer there so I felt a bit alone, so Evans arranged a move for me to the purple program without any questions. I stayed in frankadua for 5 weeks and felt at home. Every other week Evans would travel from Accra to frankadua to visit the purple group. He would check in on us, help around the house, cook us yummy meals, and just made sure everyone was happy with what they were doing. Evans always went the extra mile to assure that we were all satisfied and comfortable. One of the volunteers arranged a blood test for one of the orphanages in a different color group that I can’t remember but we had to drive there which took a little while. The test was for Malaria and so we all decided to volunteer and help out! Evans went out of his way to join us in the purple group and helped arranged our drive and also volunteered to help us when we arrived. He did not have to do that but Evans just has an amazing huge heart. I honestly do not know what we would have done without him there because things got a little confusing and it was organized well with the other group so Evans, of course came to the rescue and helped set it all up.

Another time Evans helped me feel safe and comfortable was when we were on our cape coast trip. On that trip volunteers stay in the room with all the bunk beds and I was so excited I thought it would be so much fun! Buuuttt I’m highly afraid of bugs especially cockroaches. They were crawling all over my bed and it seemed to have not bothered anybody else except me. I ran out of the room crying because I felt so uncomfortable and I wanted to go back home in that moment. I know I know everyone is thinking what a dramatic move! Haha but I can’t help it. I cannot sleep if there are bugs crawling on my pillow and bed. So I was outside I decided to stay up all night crying and Evans came out to check on everybody to see if they got to their room safe and sound. He saw me outside looking very sad so he came to me and asked if everything was ok. I told him the whole bug situation and he immediately offered two options for me to book me a hotel room or to get a nice clean room in the resort area. He didn’t make me feel bad for anything he just wanted to see me happy and comfortable and he took me to a clean room with a new blanket and new pillow and I felt so much better! Evans you are THE BEST and you are unforgettable you made me Ghana trip 1000x better and I thank you so much for that! May God bless you!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Zahra, Thanks for your wonderful review! We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Evans as it certainly sounds like he made your trip a success. Thanks again for sharing and for being an IVHQer!

Manuel

Volunteering in Ghana - Frankadua

When you embark for the first time on an international experience, you will certainly feel a wide range of emotions, from fear to enthusiasm. Well, do not be scared or hesitate on enrolling for a Volunteer Program in Ghana and here is why:
First, from the moment I got out of my plane, I felt always welcomed by the community and I must say that throughout my time there the staff and locals always helped me out when needed.
Second, there is no better way to know a country and its people than having the opportunity to spend time with them and live as they do. In Ghana, I guess I can say that everyone likes to talk and get to know new people and volunteers. Both kids and adults, you will love to have a word with you and show you around, show you how things are done there. As such, you will surely learn a lot with them!
Third, there´s no better way to live life than with a smile in your face! The tough conditions they live in might stun you, but their charisma, personality, energy, smile will certainly astonish you, because that is the way lie should be lived. That´s the way they live it, by being 100% alive!
Now I would like to introduce to you my experience more in details as well as give you some tips in case you are really considering going to Ghana. I´ve spent a simple month (4weeks) on the Purple Program that is running in the Frankadua and I must say that if it was today and if I could I would have enrolled for certainly more time. I was on the Sports Teaching Program, but I ended up doing several other things like marking exams, helping local teachers, teaching in the mornings during summer break and giving training/practice to the FC Bright Star team for 2hours every weekday. So it is up to you to just do what you have enrolled for or participate in as many things as you can.
In case you are unsure about what supplies you should bring, I would suggest you bringing notebooks, pencils, pens, erasers and some reading and coloring books (Teaching); footballs (soccer balls for the Americans), football boots (Sports Teaching); and then medical supplies such as bandages, oxygen peroxide, and other first aid supplies are always needed.
There´s more to do and to know in Ghana, so in case you are wondering IVHQ staff organizes weekend trips – Cape Coast, Wli Waterfalls, etc. - and you could also arrange them independently with other volunteers as I did when I went to Ada Foah.
I have enjoyed every single moment while in Ghana and words cannot describe the experience that I had that without a doubt changed by life.

I would like to thank IVHQ for such an opportunity!

My only criticism is the same expressed by other volunteers and it would be to ensure that the money is being distributed correctly, because sometimes it is not clear how the money is being used and if appropriately.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Manuel, thanks so much for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you felt welcomed and supported by the local community you were placed with in Ghana and it sounds like you certainly made the most of your volunteering and travelling experience. Thanks for providing details of your stay and recommendations for future volunteers. We would love to have you join us again in the future!

Maeve-Kathleen

Student nurse volunteering in Ghana

This summer I experienced the opportunity of a lifetime when I volunteered for two weeks in Ghana. I was part of a larger group of nursing students who belonged to the same community outreach program at our college.

Upon arrival to the airport in Ghana we realized how hands on the IVHQ team was going to be for us. Elvis immediately found us and was a smiling face that we knew we could rely on. This set the tone for us meeting the rest of the IVHQ Ghana team who could not have been any more welcoming or hospitable. Edward Adeli, Benedict Adeli, Nancy, Elvis, and Evans Kojo were so helpful in running this program and providing this experience for all of us. Evans in particular was with us almost 24/7 and when he was not with us it was because he was finding us supplies that we needed. He took on many roles whether it be organizer, assistant, tour guide, translator, and most importantly was a friend.

Our assignment was malaria testing for the Silver program, which included Patrick's orphanage and Savior School, as well as several communities near the Gold program. After we found the positives we also were able to provide the malaria medication for free. Mama Pat and Patrick were amazing hosts and my favorite memory of the entire trip was just playing games with the kids at Silver. The Gold program was also an amazing experience. Tina, Felix, Benjamin, and Giles took care of us and made sure everything went smoothly with our village outreach screenings. Another person who was instrumental in making our time here worthwhile was Eric Abaidoo. He came along with us to provide nursing expertise as well as acted as a translator and tour guide several times and I'm so glad we were able to meet him.

The weekend trips to Cape Coast and Kokrobite were well planned and provided much needed relaxation after our hard work during the week. (As a small side note, all of the food I was provided during this trip was amazing!!!)

I would not only recommend IVHQ Ghana to others (as I already have), but I would also like to come back either next summer or sometime soon after to volunteer again. The entire experience was life changing for me and I'm very happy that I went.

We brought medical supplies from home over to donate to the clinics, but we were not told beforehand which supplies in particular they would need the most so we kind of blindly chose to bring things, some of which did not seem to be needed. If we had a better idea of the medical care we would be providing then we could have planned better for the supplies we could bring.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Maeve-Kathleen, Thanks for sharing! We are thrilled to hear that your group had such a great experience on the program in Ghana. Our Ghana team is so warm, generous, and helpful so we are not surprised that they helped to make your experience go well. It is awesome that you would like to join us again in Ghana – we would be very happy to have you back!

vicki

IVHQ - Ghana - Incredible first travel experience

I travelled with IVQH this summer and it was my first time doing anything like this as I'm only 18. it was such an incredible experience and we had support 24/7. i was worried about not meeting any friends out there but i became so close with the other volunteers and still keep in touch with them now I'm back home.
every volunteer goes for a different reason but we all come back loving the experience thanks to IVHQ making it such an incredible and safe experience.

the only improvement i can think of is making the travel back to the airport from the program easier and have more communication with the program leader to help with this.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Vicki, Thanks for sharing! We are so glad to hear that you had an incredible first time volunteering in Ghana and we are sure that your review will be encouraging for other young, solo travellers. We wish you all the best and hope you will join us again!

Emily

Ghana has stolen my heart

After spending a mere 6 weeks on the Purple Teaching program in this beautiful country, leaving Ghana is up there on my list of the hardest things I've ever had to do. From the moment I arrived I felt so welcomed by the community, and I continued to feel so connected throughout my time there with the help of the staff as well as the locals. I met so many beautiful souls; other volunteers, amongst whom I have made friends for life... locals, who were always willing to show you around the area and show how you do it Ghana style! and of course my students...
Teaching was an absolute blast. I had the privilege of teaching in 2 different schools within the village - the Roman Catholic School (where I taught English classes once a day, which enabled the current teacher to have a well earned break and which gave the students the chance to hear an English accent), and the Baptist School (where I spent the rest of the day teaching a range of subjects with another volunteer - the actual teacher was on leave, so without us, the students would have been left to their own devices with no teacher, so it was clear how much they appreciated us being there). The kids in my class taught me more than I could ever have taught them in the classroom. Their personalities are exploding... they're happy, they're hyper, they're intrigued, they're angry... they're SO alive. Their constant smiles, their energy and charisma is enough to lift you off the ground, especially considering the tough conditions they have to live in. If you are considering teaching, I would suggest bringing supplies such as pencils/pens (many of them didn't have their own), writing books (they have to buy their own in the schools and many of them don't have the money to do so, so they end up using scrap books), and perhaps some educational posters (multiplication tables, the alphabet, world atlas...). Also, the system is very different to that of England or America - so when you come, come with no expectations, and throw yourself into it.
Whilst I wasn't in the classroom I had some amazing experiences with weekend trips away to various places across Ghana, some of which we arranged independently, and others with the help of IVHQ staff (such as Evans) - we visited Wli waterfalls, Mole National Park, Ada Foah, Krokrobite, Cape Coast... If you come to Ghana, I urge you to go on as many trips away as possible to see what this amazing place has to offer!
I can honestly say that there wasn't a dull moment whilst in Ghana, it is a truly wonderful place. I am so grateful to IVHQ for the opportunity.

My only criticism would be to ensure that the money is being distributed correctly - we pay a lot of money to volunteer, yet it isn't always clear that the money we have paid is being used appropriately.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emily, Thanks so much for your awesome review! We are so glad that you had a blast at your teaching placements, met beautiful people from Ghana and all over the world, and took the time to explore the wonderful sights that Ghana has to offer. Thanks for spending 6 weeks with us and we would love to have you back one day!

Delaney

My heart in Ghana

I spent two amazing weeks in Ghana, volunteering with IVHQ Turquoise Program at the Senya-Beraku Health Clinic.
Evans (who is your POC for the turquoise program) met me at the airport, on time and exactly where my instructions told me he would be. I had an obnoxiously large and heavy suitcase that I had filled with medical supplies for my work at the clinic. Evans did not hesitate to help me with it and lugged it down the street until we found a taxi. When we got to the volunteer house in Madina, he showed me around and introduced me to the staff. After I was settled, Evans helped to get my phone working with multiple package options with prices for pre-paid SIM cards. I was stressed because I had no local currency to pay him for the SIM card at that moment, he assured me we would find a reliable ATM in the morning and got my phone working that night anyway. Half way through my stay in Ghana, my phone ran low on data and Evans was able to help me again.
Getting to my placement in Senya was chaotic and long but Evans was so helpful and professional, explained everything to me along the way and answered all of my questions. Everyone stares at you, and tries to get your attention because you are clearly a foreigner, but I never felt unsafe with Evans, as he doesn’t let them harass you.
Once we reached the volunteer house in Senya, Evans introduced me to my local point of contact, Francis. We went over any unanswered questions and/or concerns before Evans left. Later I met Stephen and Seth, who were also my local people to contact. Evans continued to check in via text or phone call to make sure everything was going well and was so fast to respond if I ever needed him for something. Francis or Stephen stopped at the house almost every morning to check that everything was going well also.
When I started at the clinic, I was quickly thrown into the mix. I am a registered nurse so I was able to help with whatever they needed, though another girl with me was still in nursing school and also had no limitations. The staff was amazingly friendly and all very willing to teach. On my first day, I rode in the back of an ambulance to help transport a patient to the closest hospital about an hour away. I took vital signs/established initial patient rapport into the clinic, performed dressing changes, administered medications via IV and injection and helped with whatever else they needed.
I saw many people struggle to pay for care or the treatment that they needed. I saw people come in with malaria, in constant misery. I also noticed that many people who did not have health insurance would wait at least three days or more before they came into the clinic. Unfortunately, this always lead to a much bigger problem once they were finally seen.
I wanted to do more for the community that I was temporarily living in. Evans had told me on the first day that some volunteers have organized free malaria outreach projects in the past and that if I wanted to, he could help me get it started. So I started a fundraiser online to raise money for a free malaria outreach, provide health insurance to people who could not afford it and get some basic medical supplies for the clinic. With the help of Seth, the Chief of the clinic, Leticia (a local nurse) and many others, I was able to organize a free clinic in Senya to test and treat 400 people for malaria.
Trying to move money for such a large project was a little tricky but Evans came with me and we went to bank after bank until we finally were able to pull out the money we needed. After, Evans took me to the Accra market where I could find medical supplies for the clinic. I honestly could not have done any of it without him because I was crunched for time and had no idea where to go or how to do it.
The day of the outreach, I had so much help and everything went so smooth. Seth, Francis, Stephen and Evans all worked very hard to help me from start to finish. Leticia and other local nurses were there working all day as well.
I never felt unsafe or alone while I was in Ghana; someone from IVHQ was always there if I needed them. Meals were always on time and any issues I had were quickly resolved through Evans, Seth, Francis or Stephen. I started to feel ill after the first week and everyone was so attentive. Francis stopped at the house to check on me, Evans called and text me and kept tabs on me every day until I was feeling better. Everyone genuinely wants you to have a great experience so if there is any problem, please let someone know.
Senya is a small village, so finding things to do after ‘work’ was a little difficult. However, there was a bar close to our house, we walked around the village for street snacks and there are two great beaches close by that we went to often as well. Getting around was easy too, either by Tro Tro or Taxi, if we wanted to go to another town. One weekend all of the volunteers met up at Kokrobite beach, which was really fun, and I suggest you do, if you can all plan it. Evans also is the weekend master planner when it comes to anything Cape Coast and can set everything up for you if you wish to go.
I made so many great friends and wonderful memories during my short stay in Ghana. I had an overwhelming amount of support while I was there and if I ever needed something or wasn’t sure who to ask, I would call Evans and he would help me figure out who I needed to talk to or what needed to be done. Everyone was so great, but Evans went above and beyond every single day and is extremely willing to help you with anything. It was so hard to leave, and actually, I am already planning my return 
Packing Tip: I never wore my running shoes; they just took up space in my bag. I wore flip flops and TOMS style shoes my entire stay. The heat is tolerable; the humidity is what gets to you. STAY HYDRATED. I brought Pedialyte ® (ORS) drink mix packets to add to my water and they are GOLD; especially if you are not feeling well. I also brought my own personal pharmacy and had almost any medication you could think of, and I am so grateful that I did. Pack half the amount of clothes and twice the amount of baby wipes that you think you will need. Head lamp/flashlight was essential. Small backpack for traveling, big enough to hold your water and money and baby wipes was extremely handy. Bring a charged battery pack to charge your phone, because the power never fails to go out when your phone is about to die.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Delaney, What an awesome review, and what an incredible volunteer you are! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us your experience as a medical volunteer in Ghana. It sounds like the support provided by Evans was excellent, as per usual, and we will be sure to pass your kind words on to him. It is clear that you went into the program with passion and commitment and we are sure that this would have been noticed and appreciated by the other medical professionals at your placement. Thanks for your useful advise and for being an outstanding volunteer. We would love to have you join us again in the future!

S

BEST TIME OF MY LIFE

I genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Ghana summer 2016. IVHQ were very friendly in the sense of how we were looked after. If we had any ideas or any other ways we wanted to contribute then we were provided with help and support. I was on the purple program, we taught at a local school which was a 3 minute walk away. The volunteer house is ample for everyone's needs and quite spacious. I expected less if I am honest but it is quick to see how big and 'modern' it is when in comparison with the houses surrounding it so be grateful. The house is placed in the middle of the community so children often play around it which is good because you are immersed into the community and can spend more time with the children but may also not be good if you get annoyed easily .. lol.
Evans Nkansah in particular made this trip smooth for me as if we had any concerns he would be sure to assist us in so. It really is a blessing having a IVHQ member who is helpful as it can be scary travelling to a foreign country alone for the first time. So thank you IVHQ for this experience,

Ways it could be improved is maybe WIFI in the accra volunteer house i know it is not always possible in the villages but WIFI in the main house would help as we just freshly come and woul dlike to get in touch with families and not wait around for sims.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi there, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to Ghana and felt well supported by IVHQ and our local team. We think that it is great that the volunteer house allows volunteers to be immersed in the community they are working in. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Thiago

Ghana Style

Volunteering in Ghana was a great life experience. I went by myself and I quickly met the staff and other volunteers. I worked with childcare in Kasoa. The best part was the attention and love from the kids, who are really thankful for our presence.

Adeli and the local IVHQ were really helpful. Evans Kojo gave us 24h support. He helped us with tourist guidance, language, safety advice, acquiring cellphone service, and much more.

Internet service on my phone was good and not expensive. Local food was good. Drinking water (sold in 500ml sachets) was very cheap and easy to find. Public transportation (Trotro/Van) was quick and cheap. In the streets, there are small goats and chickens all around!

On the other hand, local vendors in the streets and craft markets can be annoying, not leaving you alone. Most of the kids in the streets ask for money. There’s also a huge numbers of churches and religious ads.

Visiting Cape Coast was awesome. Ghana is a beautiful country and Ghanaian people are very friendly. Ghana is also really safe. I recommend Ghana for first time travelers.

A little more training or tips on what to do to help the community.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Thiago, We are stoked to hear that the highlight of your experience in Ghana was the attention and love from the kids at your placement. Thanks for recommending IVHQ for first time travellers and for offering practical insight and advice on Ghana and the volunteer program we offer. We would love to have you join us again!

Lara

Good introduction to Ghana

I participated in the agriculture program for 12 weeks. Going to Ghana through IVHQ was a good way to get introduced to a country I had never visited before and knew little about. The food and accommodations are great, and the staff is there to help with any questions or concerns that come up. The staff member Evans is particularly helpful, always responding promptly to calls or messages and willing to do anything that he can to make your experience in Ghana a positive one. He goes above and beyond his job description and generally leads a trip to Cape Coast with new volunteers, so you don’t have to worry about logistics and finding your own way for your first trip after only being in the country for a few days.
Doing the agriculture program was helpful for relating to the people of our village. Farming is a big part of life there, and I felt like part of the community because I was waking up in the mornings and going to the farm just like everyone else. We got to help out with planting seeds, maintaining the plants, and harvesting the food, and I got to see our hard work pay off with multiple food donations to the orphanages during my time there.
I also enjoyed the flexibility of being able to help with teaching and sports as well. The experience is very customizable and is really only limited by your creativity and level of motivation.

One ongoing point of frustration is that there isn't any reliable system in place that allows current volunteers to continue the programs and initiatives set up by past volunteers. For example, one volunteer will see a problem, raise money to help with the problem, and set up a program that, once the money runs out, simply ends. The current volunteers don't necessarily know that the program exists and may end up duplicating it or just allowing it to end even if they would have been interested in helping, had they known.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lara, Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear that participating on the Agriculture project in Ghana made you feel like a part of the community. It sounds like you really got stuck into the volunteer work and were able to see the benefits of the project. Thanks for your feedback regarding the continuation of volunteer initiatives – this is something that we will be sure to take on board. It has been fantastic to have you volunteer with us and we hope to see you on another IVHQ program in the future.

Samantha

First time in Ghana!

I've always wanted to do some international volunteering since I was a young child and saw the need for it advertised on TV. December of 2016 I finally got my chance, but only for 2 weeks. I say "only" because it flew by so quick I wish I could've stayed longer. I participated in the childcare program in Ghana and loved every second of it, from the IVHQ/VCO staff to the locals to the children...the food...the weekend traveling...the way of life in the village, just everything! I feel like I didn't even scratch the surface on the experience I could've had, had I stayed longer, but I couldn't take anymore time off from work back home. Whether you go for 2 months or 2 weeks you will no doubt have a life changing experience and meet friends for life in the other volunteers and local people. Make sure you take advantage of the trips to Cape Coast and Kakum National Park. See some water falls. Stop by a coconut and cocoa fruit stand and try one of each. Try the Fanmilk products (FanYogo, FanIce, FanChoco, FanDango) you won't be disappointed! And if from the USA, take larger bills to exchange ($50, $100) as you will get a better exchange rate at a Forex Bureau (don't exchange at the airport).

Don't wait around - get planning - you will have the time of your life!!!!!

I can't really say because it is the first time I've volunteered abroad so I have nothing to compare to. I took in the whole experience and enjoyed every second. Just remember, everything that happens, whether you think good or bad, is all part of the adventure!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha, Thanks so much for your awesome review and for encouraging potential volunteers to “get planning”. It is great to hear that you had a life changing experience despite the time constraints. I am sure you would have loved to stay longer but it sounds as though you really made the most of the time available to you. Thanks for joining us in Ghana! We would love to have you volunteer with us again.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...