Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Ghana from $270

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Ghana? Then join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, in Africa!

Choose from 7 volunteer project options based in rural villages and townships within the Greater Accra Region. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated dormitory-style volunteer houses, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Ghana, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you’re all about authentic experiences, diving deep into culture, exploring a country that moves to a vibrant beat, and searching for opportunities to grow, give back and make real connections, then volunteering in Ghana is for you!

• IVHQ’s Ghana program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure training.
  • You’ll be joining between 20 and 50 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Ghana each month and you'll be joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers.
  • Weekends are free to explore with fellow volunteers - discover the history of the culturally significant Cape Coast, wander through Kakum National Park and more!

Book With Confidence: Added Flexibility & Free Changes

IVHQ makes it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind. As long as you cancel or reschedule at least 15 days before your program start date this year, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination.

No, it is not.

I hope not as this is the question I am asking.

Jaime

Medical Outreach

I went to Ghana to volunteer for medical outreach and I enjoyed my time in this program. I was supposed to go to schools to do malaria testing, but schools were all closed due to Coronavirus. Instead, I went to local communities to do malaria testing and wound care. The program allowed me to do meaningful work and see communities I would not otherwise be able to see. The volunteer housing was good, and the food was great! Ghana has friendly, welcoming people and I felt at home right away! I recommend this medical program to those who enjoy going into communities and doing hand on wound care and testing.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Getting on a motorbike to go to other communities! I was so scared to get on the motorbike and drive in a dirt road. But I got on and actually enjoyed the experience once I got over my fear
Ingrid

Amazing experience doing Construction and Renovation in Ghana

Had the best time volunteering in Ghana! IVHQ had a great program in which I got to live close to the locals, work on a meaningful project in which I felt like I made a difference, and I made a lot of new friends! By volunteering I got a unique insight into the culture in Ghana and since we had weekends if I also had time to explore the country. The team was helpful, project was great, and location was ideal. I also got a lot of help after I organized a fundraiser! The teachers at the school helped me by telling me what they needed, and the IHVQ staff helped me buy it! Over all a fantastic experience and I would recommend it a lot!

Be prepared that living conditions aren’t as good as most of us aren’t used to. However considering the area you get access to everything you need and more, and it would be more unnatural if volunteers care and got to live way better than the locals. Make the best out of it and your trip will become amazing!
Crystal

Ghana

I spent 2 weeks in Ghana (Frankadua) and had no idea what I was in for, what an experience! My only regret is not staying longer. I started out in childcare then switched to medical. Both programs were incredibly rewarding, childcare perhaps the most exhausting, though I loved it. People soak up any help you offer, while I hoped to go to Ghana to make a difference and help people, I am the one who left changed and so impacted. I cannot forget this village. The people are welcoming, the program safe, the food (rice, beans, and plantains I still crave!) they want to make sure things are running smoothly for you and that you are happy. They’re quick to fix any kinks. I recommend this program to anyone looking a for a wonderful, eye opening, volunteer experience! Thanks Joe, TT, the Millies, Mary, the security guards, and all the local staff.

Go to Ghana, I will return myself!

They do a wonderful job! My only suggestion would be that the tailor give more precise estimates! Otherwise the program is wonderful, I will definitely come back!
Erin

Medical Outreach Program

My week in Frankadua was one that I will hold close to my heart forever. I am a senior nursing student in the US, and myself with 5 other students traveled to Ghana for the medical outreach program. Over the course of just a week we were able to test over 1000 children for malaria and treat those who tested positive.in addition we provided wound care and infection control/prevention. Joe, from the purple program was beyond helpful in many ways and made us feel at home for our stay. Tee Tee from the medical outreach program specifically helped to keep things running smoothly, and made us feel safe and welcomed. Each night we had a meeting about our day, and the plan for the next- the staff was consistently asking how they can improve and making sure we all felt comfortable. They genuinely want to help make this a good experience for you, even though you are there to serve. The people were unbelievably welcoming. I met so many new people- some staying one week others staying 6 months, and those who life there that I will continue to be friends with for life. The volunteer house is inviting and there will never be a dull moment. I recommend the medical outreach program to fellow nursing students who wish to make a difference during their breaks from school. This is an experience that you will not find anywhere else, and you have the opportunity to really impact a community, no matter the length of the stay. As with anything, you get out of it what you put in. If you want to work with amazing people, staff and spend your breaks meaningfully then I recommend this program to you!

Lydia

The best choice for short term volunteering

I participated in IVHQ's Ghana partnership and highly recommend it for a short term volunteer travel experience. The company is ethically run, with very good and thorough pre-departure materials focused on cultural sensitivity and respectful behavior. The projects on site are locally run and managed. The construction project I worked on was hard work, not just a token project for photo ops.There was a good balance of work time and free time, and for a short stay it was convenient to have the IVHQ folks available for planning sightseeing on the weekends.

I am a foodie so I would have liked to try more unusual foods and to have more opportunities to eat on my own apart from group meals. Of course they have to appeal to everyone and have food that is safe to eat, so I understand, but I had to go out of my way to request local specialties and to get spicy food!
Kaycee

My Frankadua Family

When I left Frankadua, I left a piece of my heart and my newest family. Frankadua is the cutest, most culturally dense village. The people are welcoming and kind. In fact, it is likely you will be welcomed with a local bonfire your first night. They will love that you are in their village to help and also learn about their culture. The clothing is bright, the music is upbeat and happy, and the dancing is something that I’ll remember forever.

I originally signed up for four weeks of childcare and six weeks of medical. However, I ended up switching to only two weeks of childcare and then eight weeks of medical. The childcare project is easily one of the hardest projects offered. As a volunteer, your main responsibility is looking after fifty of the most rambunctious children the village has to offer. At the end of the day you will be exhausted, but be the happiest volunteer in the house. Spending the mornings with those adorable children is just the best experience. I personally had a difficult time with the cultural punishments the teachers perform. Unfortunately, as volunteers we must accept that it is a cultural happening and it is not able to be changed. This was the main reason I shortened my childcare project to two weeks rather than four.

Switching to medical was the perfect decision for me. I felt that I was making a meaningful difference and could fix the issues I saw. Our duties included wound care, malaria testing, hygiene education, and sex education. I personally enjoyed the malaria testing most. I was able to test four different schools in my ten weeks. The positive percentage rates were crazy to me! Each school tested 50% or higher. At the close of each testing day we would prescribe and provide malaria medications to the positive children. I loved knowing that the children would not develop symptoms because we were able to catch it soon enough.

The best thing about volunteering in Ghana is that there is ALWAYS more to be done. If you are up for the challenge, you can be working from 6AM-6PM. Another volunteer and I started three after school programs for the children and teenagers. These include girls club, JHS reading club, and reading tutoring at the volunteer house. If I were to pick a favorite volunteer activity it would be these three things. Reading is a life long skill and I was always happy to see their progression. Dedicating time to their learning was a highlight of my trip.

I would like to express my appreciation to the staff that made my trip smooth and safe. There wasn’t one time that I felt in danger and that was extremely important to me. I felt supported by the staff and knew that I could discuss my issues with them. Joe and Evans were two men I could openly discuss my issues with. I would also like to commend IVHQ for listening to concerns and addressing them. In the middle of my trip, I discussed a few concerns with Meika, an IVHQ employee, and they were addressed and corrected within two weeks time. IVHQ and the Ghana staff are truly there to make your experience the best it can be.

You would be silly to not pick IVHQ Ghana as your future volunteer location. Be prepared to fall in love with the people and their interesting culture. Know that there will be extremely hard times, but that they will provide you with learning opportunists. If you make it to Ghana... please give them all a hug for me!

My best advice to future volunteers is to step out of your comfort zones as soon as possible. Don’t waste time being shy, if you do, you might miss out on some amazing experiences.
Rachel

Amazing experience

had 2 amazing trips with IVHQ in Tanzania and Ghana. The local staff during the Ghana program were so incredibly helpful and supportive during my time. You truly get the feel of living similarly to a local and become close to the community around you. Every local is so friendly and helpful, they make you feel part of their community straight away. I loved that they also gave us the option to try different programs like malaria testing, teaching and agriculture. You got to experience it all and choose what you best fit and are the most helpful. You will become to close to the other volunteers and almost become family in no time as you are all experience a new challenge. It is an experience that has shaped me and I’ll never forget the people that made my time so amazing.

Be super open to new challenges and experiences. Be willing to get out of your comfort zone
Alejandro

Amazing experience

I am very happy with my experience! I had the chance to volunteer on both towns, one doing construction and renovation, and on the other doing medical outreach. Both programs were very well organized, and had an amazing value to the communities we worked at! I will recommend to introduce a strong medical volunteering program on the Gold Program, as there was none when I went there. On the purple program I recommend introducing a First Aid course to the school on the week of the medical outreach! On the purple program I was very happy with Evans and Teetee. Evans is super smart and we were working together to introduce the First Aid course on the outline! He was always attentive and focused on improving the experience of the volunteers! Evans and Teetee always considered the safety and value of all the volunteers and I am very happy with them being part of the staff of IVHQ!

Strong medical volunteering programs on the Gold program
First Aid course on the week of the medical outreach for the Purple Program
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alejandro, Thanks for your review of our Ghana program. It's great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience on these projects. Thanks for your input and for the great suggestions around First Aid courses. We look forward to having you volunteer with us again soon! ^ Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager