Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Bali with IVHQ

With much regret International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to temporarily pause this program due to COVID-19. More information on this ongoing crisis can be found here. You may also sign up for email notifications below to be notified when this program has re-opened.

Bali-scenery
Food
Food
Rice Terrace
Rice Terrace

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Bali and 50+ other destinations around the world.

As an IVHQ volunteer in Bali, you can choose to volunteer in the cultural hub of Ubud or the coastal town of Lovina. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals, and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers, so even before you depart for Bali, you’ll receive outstanding service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Bali programs are available year-round, starting every Monday and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks.
  • Best value volunteer program fees from $325 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • Choose from a diverse range of project options, including Teaching, Kindergarten, Environmental Education, Health Education, Construction and Renovation and Turtle Conservation.
  • Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization and you’ll have 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll be joining between 40 and 80 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Bali each month and you’ll be joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers.

Popular Programs

As a volunteer on our Teaching project in Bali, you will play a hands-on role in developing the English language skills of elementary students within Ubud. Balinese students are eager to practice their conversational English skills and learn from native speakers, as greater English literacy supports opportunities for higher education and career prospects in areas like Bali where Tourism is a rapidly expanding industry.

As a volunteer on our Environmental Education project in Bali, you will play an important role in educating young Balinese children about protecting the local environment. Plastic water bottles and plastic food wrappers are of great concern in Bali and you will often see people simply throwing these on the ground, as food in Bali was traditionally wrapped in banana leaves.

As a volunteer on our Turtle Conservation project, you will work alongside a local team on the small island of Nusa Penida to help protect the endangered sea turtles of Indonesia via both proactive and reactive activities. The long-term aim of this project is to increase the turtle population within the area of Nusa Penida.

If you’re someone who has an interest in wildlife, conservation efforts and likes being outdoors, this project is for you!

As a volunteer on our Construction and Renovation project in Bali, you will play an important role in supporting the development and refurbishment of community infrastructure within Ubud.

This project is well suited to volunteers with a willingness to work hard and an enthusiasm for helping out wherever your support is most needed. Your tasks may include laying bricks, painting, laying tiles, carpentry, landscaping or gardening. A typical day on the project will involve 3 - 4 hours of work.

It depends on where you are going and how long you are staying. For Indonesia, you do not need one if you are staying less than 30 days.

In Ubud, the total fees will be at least US$1,979. You can opt to pay for more flexibility if you like too :)

IVHQ requires that all volunteers participating on the program be at least 18 years old. However, if you volunteer with a parent or guardian on the same project as you, you can go at younger than 18. It is important to note that the local organization, Green Lion Bali, does host volunteers from other organizations other than IVHQ, and some of those organizations have different age requirements...

Laura

IVHQ Bali Ubud - Environmental Education Program

Volunteering with IVHQ in Ubud, Bali was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. It helped me see and understand another culture and its people while feeling a part of their beautiful community.I am very grateful for everything that I learned and saw and it was of course a real pleasure to have the chance teach such smart children. I would totally recommend this program to anyone who is looking for an amazing and rewarding volunteering experience. I will always remember those 4 weeks as one of the best experiences of my life.

Xaviere

IVHQ is your go to for volunteering abroad

What an amazing way to take help the environment and take a holiday at the same time! All while meeting lifelong friends from around the world. I spent three weeks with IVHQ in Bali - 1 week orientation in Ubud and two weeks at the Turtle Conservation on Nusa Penida. I would definitely recommend the orientation week as you get to meet everyone and do tours around Ubud. The turtle conservation work was great either working with turtles or cleaning beaches, with time to rest and relax in between. I would recommend IVHQ as an organisation for anyone thinking of volunteering abroad. They are so organised, provide so much information before you go and also check-in when you return home. I loved my time in Bali, you will too!

If you’re thinking of travelling alone but scared to (like I was), then do a volunteering trip, you will meet so many amazing people in the process!
Rachel

AMAZING!!!!

This program was life changing! I had to opportunity to travel across the world to Bali, Indonesia. I was able to not only create a positive impact on the community with teaching, but also learn about their culture, and meet lifelong friends along the way. I participated in the Ubud, Bali program for kindergarten teaching. The staff strive to make it the best experience possible, and the Green Lion house is nothing but accommodating and clean. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone contemplating it. Definitely going to return soon!

David

Green Lion, Ubud Bali IVHQ

This wasn’t my first try at oversea volunteering, but it was my best so far. IVHQ was in constant contact with me from my initial registration to days before my departure for Bali.
Upon arrival (12:00 am) I was met by a driver who took me to the Green Lion site just outside of Ubud and a rep was there waiting for me and got me squared away right away. The next day I met with the coordinators and started orientation immediately, I opted for cultural week (highly recommended). On the Monday of my second week I started my 3 week stint on the construction program helping to build a school in the next village. We started as a crew of over 20 volunteers, but as the days passed and people finished their time, the numbers went down. For me construction is very satisfying, in seeing the job at hand and working together to complete the job. I know that the work carried on after I left but I’ll always know I am a part of the school. I am thankful to IVHQ for the opportunity to be more, but more so I’m thankful for the well organized support system that lets me know I wasn’t alone.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If possible, I would have explored more of Bali on my weekends and took in more opportunities in Abud on the evenings.
Maria Jose

Bali kindergarten program IVHQ

Bali review
My name is Maria, I'm from Colombia and I'm 21 years old, I volunteered in Bali for 2 weeks in the kindergarten program. Volunteering was an unbelievable idea I had since I was in school, an adventure I always wanted to be part of and a dream I’ve always had since I discovered the volunteering world. When the idea of coming to Bali came to my mind, I couldn't be more excited and happy about having my dream becoming true. The application was ready and my 32 flying hours we're almost done.
I arrived at the volunteer's house and since I entered I knew It was going to be one of the best experiences of my life. The local team was incredibly warm, they treated me as if they knew me for a long time ago, and we became part of a new family. Since that moment I fell in love with the Balinese culture, its people and their beliefs. When I start working with the children all these feelings became stronger, they taught me that you don't need to speak the same language to transmit love, that faith is stronger than any problem on the road, that sharing and saying thank you is the most important value, and that a smile says more than a thousand words. I learned from every person I met, I travel around Bali enjoying the food, the temples, and getting myself into the culture with some yoga and meditation classes. These 2 weeks of volunteer taught me more than many other experiences have done in my whole life, I'll recommend Ivhq to anyone who wants to help the world, knowing that at the end you'll learn and you'll get more than you're actually giving. Thank you so much IVHQ

Enjoy every moment of the program ! Travel around Bali and meet new people, make friends and speak with the local team, they have amazing story’s to tell. Always smile to the children, give the best of you even if the language barrier is difficult, they’ll manage to transmit their message to you.
Delphine

Kindergarten & Turtle Conservation: Amazing experience!

I volunteered in Ubud, Bali for a total of 7 weeks. It was such an awesome and life-changing experience where I got to learn so much about the Balinese culture and lifestyle, but also grow so much as a person. I helped out as a kindergarten teacher for 4 weeks. Every day I would have a little lesson planned for the kids; I would handout some worksheets, play games with them and be there for their breakfast/lunch. The kids were so loving and full of energy! I loved being by their side every single day and see their beautiful smiles :) I miss my class a lot, they truly have a special place in my heart. I also volunteered on the turtle conservation program while in Bali. It was amazing to live alongside locals and help out with an environmental cause on a daily basis. At the turtle centre I got to clean turtle tanks, feed and clean the turtles and I even got to experience a turtle release while I was there. It was such an emotional experience to get to set a turtle free and bring her back to her natural habitat. On top of helping with the turtles, we also did beach and street cleaning. I would 100% recommend IVHQ and the Bali program, it was an experience I will never forget!!

What was your funniest moment?
One of the funniest moments when I was a kindergarten teacher was that one of the kids took my phone during play time. She turned on the camera and took sooooo many pictures of the kids, me and the kids and also a lot of random things! It made me laugh so much and I still have all the pictures hahaha I attached a little collage of some of them to this review.
Kerryn

Best two weeks of my life

First time travelling alone to another country. I'm usually an introverted person and was unsure if I would enjoy it or not. Spent two weeks in the Turtle Conservation program and wish I'd stayed longer. IVHQ does a great job at communicating with the Green Lion partner organisation and is extremely easy to use, answering questions swiftly and getting you prepared for the journey. It was a unique experience taking care of the turtles, and after a day you feel like you've known the coordinators and other volunteers for a lifetime. Planning to return next year.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would choose the one week orientation instead of the one day orientation. It sounded extremely fun and you get to see parts of ubud as organised by the Green Lion and IVHQ, wish I'd done it.
Amber

Amazing and really fulfilling

I had the best time on my volunteer trip in Bali, Ubud. The staff were really accommodating and did their best to make you feel comfortable and welcomed! The program was very relaxed and explained well, I decided not to do the orientation week but due to having some down time I was allowed to participate in some of the activities anyway!! You make friends so easily as everyone is LOVELY, and you get downtime to travel and just have a good time with the people you meet. If you’re doing this for work experience it is also excellent, you can tailor the education sessions how you like and the kids are just so wholesome and there to have a good time. I will definitely be volunteering with IVHQ in the future, thanks so much for everything that you do for us volunteers!

Make the most of your time, it is over before you know it