Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Bali from $295

Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Bali from $295

Volunteer abroad in Bali with IVHQ! Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects in Ubud or Lovina. Living in the cultural hub of Ubud or the coastal town of Lovina, volunteers assist on a range of community-driven projects. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks are accommodated in volunteer houses alongside other international volunteers.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Bali:

• Teaching
  • Kindergarten
  • Construction and Renovation
  • Environmental Education
  • Healthcare Education
  • Turtle Conservation

• Programs available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of each month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $295 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 30 and 50 IVHQ volunteers start in Ubud each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Bali with fellow volunteers - visit Seminyak, Sanur, Gili Islands and more!
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
Bali Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

IVHQ requires that all volunteers participating on the program be at least 18 years old. However, if you volunteer with a parent or guardian on the same project as you, you can go at younger than 18. It is important to note that the local organization, Green Lion Bali, does host volunteers from other organizations other than IVHQ, and some of those organizations have different age requirements. Af...

Rita

Amazing Experience!

This program is a great way to get involved with helping the Balinese community along with exploring the beautiful island of Bali. I loved our orientation week at the beginning because we got to do many activities that allowed us to learn about Balinese culture. We explored the village, saw a Balinese dance show, participated in a Balinese cooking class, etc. The orientation was especially helpful because it allowed us to also learn about the dos and don’ts in Bali and how to stay safe.
I first started out doing the turtle conservation program on Nusa Penida. That was absolutely incredible; we got to do a lot of hands-on work with the turtles such as feeding and cleaning them. We also participated in other activities such as beach clean ups. Being on the island was so chill and relaxing.
This program is also very flexible. Many volunteers who wish to change their placement can do so easily. I wanted to experience a variety of projects, so I did construction and renovation for my third week and kindergarten for my fourth. Participating in many of the projects was such a rewarding experience for me. There is a lot of free time to do things during the day in Ubud. The city is filled with fun things to do. The weekends are free as well, which gives us time to go on little trips and explore other cities with each other.
The coordinators for this program were amazing. They went out of their way to make sure we were safe and having a good time. They gave us good tips on fun things to do in Bali and also how to stay safe. When volunteers were sick, they were extremely caring and made them feel at home. I never once felt uncomfortable or unsafe during this entire trip. Overall, this experience was amazing and I strongly recommend it.

Maybe there could be a little more detailed information given out about each project, just so the volunteers know exactly what they are doing before they start. Some of the info was a little vague, but it wasn't a huge deal because everyone picked up quickly.

Gemma
England

Turtle conservation - Nusa Penida

I recently went to Bali for 5 weeks to do turtle conservation, and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life! The friends I made on the trip I know I'll keep for life. The coordinators made us feel like family, and all the staff were so nice and friendly. The project itself was what I expected plus more. We helped to feed the turtles, clean out their tanks, help them with their medicine, cut up their fish, take part in regular beach clean ups and collect crabs and seaweed to feed the turtles. At the end of your programme you get to watch a turtle release, and that for me was the moment I realised that all the work we'd been doing was worthwhile, to help give the turtles a better chance in life. The island is also beautiful, there's so much to do in Nusa Penida! My overall favourite memory of the trip was watching the baby turtles hatch! I would recommend this programme to anybody who had a passion for turtles and conservation and is willing to try new things and meet like minded people. :D

The programme was incredible and there's not much I'd do to improve it. The only thing is that sometimes I wanted to do more work as some days there was a lot of free time. Even if there are no more jobs in the centre, people should be given an option to help with other jobs in the area. I just wanted to help out more :)

Bella

Incredible Volunteer Experience in Bali

I have just returned from volunteering as an English teacher in Bali. I cannot describe how fantastic the experience has been. From the people I met at the homestay to the places I was able to visit on the weekend the whole experience was unbelievable. The Indonesian people make you feel like family and take you in as if you were their own. It was so hard to leave the program and say goodbye to the children, friends and coordinators, however I will have the memories of my time in Bali forever and there is no doubt in my mind that I will be returning sometime soon.

I would say that the only room for improvement would be transport into Ubud. As a volunteer who isn't earning any money the cost of the taxi journeys are much higher than the general expected cost of living in Bali. The taxis we were taking were costing more than in London which really surprised us. It would be great if there were more shuttle runs into the town or at least help in organising a pre paid, slightly more affordable taxi. Otherwise no room for improvement :)

Yasmin
San Francisco, California
University of California- Davis

Eat Pray Bali

As I entered the security line at SFO airport, the security officer checked my passport and then my final destination on my boarding pass, it read Bali, Indonesia. He looked me over and with a surprised smile he exclaimed " wow! what an exotic location!" I smiled back at him and responded "I know. It will be a trip of a lifetime."
In the 4 weeks I spent in Ubud, Bali I learned about aspects of my personality, qualities, and skillets that I doubt I would have been able to gather in such a short period of time in any other experience. To start off, Ubud is magical. Every morning, I would wake up to the sound of crying roosters, exotic bird tunes, chirping crickets, clucking chickens, and the loud but overwhelmingly beautiful sound of the living jungle surrounding our villa. I shared a room with 7 other volunteers from all of the world. These girls became my family and support system for the next 4 weeks. We the together, we went out at night together, we shared our amazingly different, yet similar goals, life stories and fears with one another, and these individuals made my experience at Green Lion utterly unforgettable. During orientation week, we got to get a glimpse of Bali by exploring the monkey forest, the rice fields surrounding Ubud, the Holy Water Temple, the Ubud art market and many many more exciting cultural landmarks and experiences.
I took part in the teaching program and I was given a fifth grade class consisting of only 5-10 students daily. If I can emphasize one aspect of my time in Bali, it would be the fact that these children changed my view on life in a way I never expected. Their passion and urge for learning shocked me. It truly shocked me to see these children, some coming to school with the same clothes everyday, and to see that children with so little, were so rich in happiness and fulfillment. Although I tried my very best to leave a lasting impact on these children in the form of education, I truly believe that they have taught me more about life and the beauty it holds than I could ever teach them.
On our weekends, several of the other volunteers and I would take weekend trips to other parts of Bali. A few of my absolute favorite destinations were the surf areas of Uluwatu and Canggu along with the Gili Islands off the coast of Lombok. On these weekend trips, we got to explore all that the breathtaking island of Bali had to offer and try new experiences such as surfing (It's a lot harder than it looks!), diving and snorkeling.
Overall, I would not change any parts of experience in Bali for the world. Both the local ivhq staff as well as the amazingly friendly and supportive local Green Lion staff met my every need and were always on top of responding to my emails whether it be asking simple packing tips or more major topics such as sickness prevention medications prior to and after arrival. Yes, adjusting to Balinese life was not an easy task and I experienced homesickness, Bali Belly, and a number of other discomforts such as the massive bats, spiders and lizards that roamed the walls and grounds of every surface, but these were all aspects of this unique once in lifetime experience that has shaped me into a more independent, inquisitive and happy woman.

I would say that the accommodations and food were quite excellent and far beyond my expectations so I would say there is not much that needs improving!

Whitney
Camdenton, Mo, USA

The Bali Trip-My Bucket List Summer

Greetings, Whit here.

I made a whim decision this year to start pursuing my dreams. Therefore creating a bucket list for Summer 17'. A friend sent my IVHQ information and really recommended I look into them. Obviously I did just that! And am 100% HAPPY and THANKFUL I choose to volunteer through them.

First off let me start off with how helpful IVHQ was with organizing my flights, and preparing me overall for my trip. I was very prepared and ready for the trip of a lifetime. I am a 24 year old single Mom of two beautiful daughters. And this trip I voyaged on alone greatly impacted my life, my heart, and spirit.

Upon arriving in Bali, Indonesia I was greeted right away by the kind gentlemen that would be bringing me to the Green Lion Camp in Lovina. When I arrived at the camp everyone was very friendly and showed me around.... I couldn't be happier with how smooth everything went!

The two weeks I was in Bali was filled with volunteering at the nearby schools teaching English. The impact I feel I had on the students was truly humbling... I adore them all still, and will always remember their smiling faces each day I came to class.
During the free time we were given I toured Lovina Center, went to a highly sought after waterfall. It was breathtaking and very adventurous! Probably one of the best adventures of my trip! We have the weekends free to travel around the Island. Therefore a group of girls I became close with (also volunteers) and I traveled on a fast boat to the Gili Islands! Now what a BLAST that was! I highly recommend it! Beautiful water, amazing people, food, and atmosphere!

Now let me tell you about the overall impact this had on my life. Traveling solo to Bali really taught me just how capable I was. My heart is full my cup runneth over. I can't even explain how much my soul needed this volunteer trip. I met people from all over the world as well. Speaking with the other volunteers, sharing our thoughts on life, why we came to Bali, and what our home country is like. Was very eye opening and amazing to spend time with new people. I cannot wait to travel internationally again in 2018!

If you are thinking about volunteering with IVHQ I would highly recommend them. Their fees are inexpensive and fair, and all that they offer is top notch!

Much Love - Whit

I honestly have no negative feedback! I think everything was great!

Matracea
Logan, UT, United States
Idaho State University

Healthcare/ Education

I could not be happier with my experience with IVHQ and Green Lion in Ubud Bali. I was not sure what to expect traveling to a foreign country as this would be my first time leaving the United States. Some of my main concerns included safety, living accommodations, and becoming sick (getting Bali belly) while there. All of my fears and worries were quickly put to rest. Our living accommodations were nice and clean. If we had a problem with something or needed something the staff was right there to fix our problem. The food was good and they always had plenty. It was prepared freshly and I didn't get sick while there.
Teaching the kids was an experience I will never forget. They are so eager to learn. They love talking to you and practicing their English. The kids loved getting stickers and having you check their work. Playing hang man, musical chairs, and doing word searches were a huge hit.
I would recommend volunteering through IVHQ to any one who is considering volunteering. It will change your life and you will learn so much about yourself as well as other cultures.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Matracea, We are thrilled that you could not be happier with your experience in Bali! It is nice to hear that you were well supported by our local team and found the living conditions clean and the food to be fresh. Thanks for sharing your experience and for recommending IVHQ to others - we really appreciate it!
Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Melissa
Milan, Italy
College of Visual Arts

Just do it!

Dare to live the experience you've always wanted and JUST DO IT!

I did wait so long to decided to go and believe me, now I just can't understand why?! At the main beginning I was afraid to go alone, by myself, without knowing anyone there; I started to think about what the project consists, about safety, accommodations, etc etc... I search between a thousand associations, companies and I had more doubts than certains. But was when I found HVHQ and I try to apply for this program, that I realize that you just need to go with the right organization. It was all thing so organized and transparent that I just decided was the moment to go!

Now, after three full weeks of an intense experience, where I had friends for life in all parts of the world, where I met fantastic local people and learn with the amazing stuff in UBUD, I just want to return back there! Was really a dream and you will forget you're volunteering to help change lifes, because it's changing yours.

As you, I did read all this reviews and posts and I had high expectations because of that.
In the moment I arrived in our accommodation in UBUD I couldn't believed, I felt immeadiatly like home. Someone was playing some music and they were all outside of the bedrooms and give me an huge hug of welcome. There were some "old" volunteers and I arrived with more 3 "new" and the match was perfect.

The first week is an introduction in the Indonesian culture and is the perfect moment to make friends and start to know more about this amazing culture. But the best part was when I started the construction program: you really see you're doing something concrete. The next day you will appreciate all the hard work you did and have the straight to start a new one with your team and in the meantime you will have a blast, you will get fun- and those are the moments you will never forget!

I just did it! And I will do it again!

Check my instagram to see some pics of this aventure
meli.instants

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Melissa, Wow! What a great review. Thanks for sharing your strong words of encouragement for others who may be feeling a bit hesitant about travelling alone - we love how welcoming our volunteers, local team, and communities we work with can be. We are so excited to read that this is the start of more adventures and we can't wait to see where you head to next. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Ziling
Shanghai

One Amazing teaching program in Bali-Ubud

My program was the teaching English in Bali-Ubud. It was an amazing experience.
My friend and I were super satisfied with this trip and we hope we can return to Bali again.

The first three days of orientation, we have a great time visiting the Ubud center, sacred monkey forest, rice field. we also watched the famous fire dance show, learned basic bahasa language, learn how to cook traditional food instructed by our loving coordinator. Everyday was super fun and fulfilled. We went to a local bar with live music on Tuesday, dancing to the Despacito music with friends. And the Canteen served the delicious traditional food, we have many options for each meal. It was a great way to learn a culture by eating the best local food.

It was a shame that we only have two days left for the teaching program. We went to the Preparation Center house to prepare for the lessons afternoon. The kids we taught were in 6th grade, in SD5 Kedewatan. They were super energetic and loved to learn. It was a honor and pleasure to teach them. We missed them a lot since we left Bali.

It was an unforgettable experience of a life time. We meet cool friends from all over the world and we made our effort to support the education of Bali. It's a remarkable experience with the Green Lion and IVHQ. I hope I can continue doing international volunteer in the future.

The program is almost perfect, could be improved in the weekend of arrival. There should be more coordination work at the arriving weekend, it will be more clear and easy for the volunteers to arrange the plan for later.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ziling, Thanks for sharing this great review. We are so pleased to hear that you had an amazing experience in Bali. Thanks for taking the time to outline what volunteering for 1 week in Bali is like - it certainly sounds like you made the most of every moment! We hope you will join us again soon.

Nick
Kent, UK
University of Reading

Fantastic time doing Construction in BALI

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Ubud, Bali, with IVHQ. Although only taking part in a 2 week stay, this experience exposed me to an entirely different culture and way of life, and enabled me to visit fantastic places and meet some great people. The orientation week prior to beginning the volunteering scheme was fascinating, I was able to go to some main attractions in the local area, as well as learn about the local culture, language, and food. This week was very well organised by the coordinators who all ensured each volunteer experienced as much as they could. My week of volunteering was doing construction and renovation for the community centre in Pejeng Kaja, the village in which we were based. The program was well organised, and the volunteers worked with a coordinator for the project as well as one local construction worker. Hard work was encouraged, and despite only being on site for one week, some fantastic progress was made. This volunteering opened by eyes to the tangible difference that can be made, and by doing construction in particular it was brilliant to know I could make a physical difference to the community, and give back to the people of the village. This whole experience, made possible by the brilliant organisation of IVHQ, has made me not only want to volunteer again, but to travel further afield post-university - it has given me an opportunity to experience and do something different from the monotonous activities back home - and made me more open-minded and aware of the different cultures and customs that exist around the world. If you are looking for a beautiful place to go, with genuinely humble and friendly locals, exotic attractions and a safe and warming environment whilst making a difference for the community, Ubud is fantastic, and with IVHQ you are in safe hands in terms of accommodation and organisation.

Perhaps more information on the specifics of the construction project in the week prior to starting it, despite having a program meeting on the Friday beforehand.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nick, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time in Bali. It sounds like your Construction and Renovation work was hard yet rewarding and we are stoked that you were able to witness the tangible difference that volunteers can make. Thanks for being a great IVHQer and we would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future!

Nick

Construction in Ubud, Bali - GREAT

Lucien
Lebanon
McGill University

IVHQ Construction and Renovation Bali Ubud

Before getting there I didn't know what to expect exactly. We had this guide we had to read to learn more about the Indonesian population and culture and I was like Wow I had no idea that was how they live over there. So many beliefs, does and donts that I had to learn before starting the program. The day I got there I instently met tons of amazing people that were here to help the Indonesian people in a variety of ways. During the first week we got to learn about the balinese language and culture by having language classes, visiting temples and rice fields, walk around the center and many more. It was a cultural shock for me and it was amazing learning so much in so little time. I was mostly amazed by how kind and welcoming the Balinese were. Despite the difficult conditions they live in the Balinese are some of the kindest people I've ever met. I am so happy and so glad I did these two volunteering weeks. Two very short weeks indeed but I am definitely looking forward to doing it again!

It is an amazing program I have nothing bad to say about it

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lucien, Thanks for sharing! We are so glad to hear that you had an eye-opening and enjoyable experience in Bali. We have loved having you volunteer with us and would happily welcome you again in the future!

Uiga

Un-bali-vable!

I was so nervous travelling alone for the first time to a foreign country where I didnt know the language or anyone. Im so happy I volunteered with IVHQ because first day I forgot about my fears and worries and have already made life long friends. From accomodation to food to resources and helpful tips IVHQ never fail to disappoint. There was never a dull moment plenty to see and do. Loads od free time and flexibility. Teaching kids in Ubud was such a rewarding experience. The children are so eager to learn and I had so much fun teaching, playing games, and even painting. IVHQ was with me every step of the way. Don't worry about anything and just go! You won't be disappointed. Terima Kasih IVHQ Bali!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Uiga, We are so glad that you pushed through your initial nerves to have a rewarding and exciting volunteer experience in Bali! Thanks for sharing your review and for being a great IVHQ volunteer!

Marissa
México

Healed

When I left home, I was worried, it was my first time traveling alone and going to Asia. I didn't know what to expect, I researched, read a lot, saw videos and tried to prepare myself for this trip.
Arriving to Bali changed all of the information I had in my mind, I can't even begin to explain what I felt, so much emotions all in one. I arrived to one of the best house, Tini house became my home away from home. I loved everything about it, now I even have the picture of the statue of Ganesh that was in the house entrance in my phone wallpaper.
In the same room I lived with another 5 girls. Those girls became my sisters, and we complemented each other so well. Being away from home is difficult but here I met people that made this a lot better.

I feel that Bali is such and amazing place to listen, learn, meditate, forgive, heal, and work on yourself. Being surrounded by nature makes you feel recharged with positive energy.
I chose the Kindergarten project and let me tell you at first it was a little hard for me, but after a couple of weeks I feel in love with my kids, they are the purest souls there are, they are kind, smart, loving and accepting.

In Bali there's always things to do, so don't worry about being bored or alone, hahaha believe me you won't be. I recommend you visit Ubud, which you will because it's the nearest town to Penestanan. Also visit Uluwatu, Canggu, Nusa Penida, Nusa Ceningan, Nusa Lembongan, Seminyak and Kuta.

Take a surf lesson, visit waterfalls, go to all the temples you can, make friend with a local, go to ceremony, take a yoga class in Yoga Barn, meditate, eat at various warung, try nasi goreng, mie goreng and banana desserts, if you are old enough drink a Bintang of the beach, visit Jungle Fish, Sundays at Single Fin are a must, eat a Nalu Bowl, Go to Motel Mexicola or La Favela in Seminyak. take a run along the rice fields, take a massage, snorkel, dive, go cliff jumping, walk around in the village, take a dip in the pool in the hotel near the village.

One of my favorite memories is celebrating Nyepi Day in Nusa Ceningan, one of the parts of the celebrations is Silent Day in which we didn't have any electricity, but that night we laid outside of our hotel by the ocean, and watched the stars, I saw the most stars and shooting stars that I have ever seen in my life, laying down with my roomies, playing good music, and meditating, is an experience that I will never forget.

Please stay as long as you can't you wont regret it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Marissa, Thanks for sharing this beautiful review! We are so thrilled to hear that Bali was a home away from home for you, and that the experience left you feeling healed and recharged with positive energy – how wonderful! Thanks for your recommendations for future participants and for being a lovely IVHQ volunteer!

Sarah
Ubud- Bali
University of Western Ontario

The Turtles of Nusa Penida

This trip for me was 2 weeks long and consisted of a 1 week stay in Ubud (just outside the city center) and 1 week on the beautiful island of Nusa Penida.
This trip over all was amazing and beautiful. Although the orientation week wasn't really tailored to my program specifically that was the turtle conservation, it was a really cool way to see some good spots of the country. Also VERY inexpensive to live here and eat well and go lots of activities.

When in UBUD: If you're looking for down time, good food, and/or a relaxing massage then the monkey temple forest Rd. is the place to go! When staying in Ubud we got to stay in a small village just outside with a 4$ cab ride or a 20 minute walk to the city center. Here is where I had alot of fun getting to interact with locals, try some foreign cusinines and do some shopping at the market (which is huge if you're a flea market junkie).

when in NUSA PENIDA: This island is MUCH more isolated than the city of ubud. Hot water doesn't exist unless you're drinking tea so prepare yourself for that! Working with the turtles here was the best part of my trip and I don't think 1 week was enough for me! The 1 week orientation takes up alot more time of your trip than you think so take that into consideration for when you get to the actual project. This island is also beautiful! There is so many look out points and places to go that everyday there is something to do after work. The uniform of "covering shoulders and wearing pants below your knees" also doesn't apply at this program! I made the mistake of strictly packing with the guidelines. You do alot of beach clean up and going into the tanks so you get hot and wet and bathing suits, shorts and tank tops are totally acceptable.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, We are glad to hear that overall you had an amazing and beautiful trip to Bali. Thanks for taking the time to outline different living situations in Ubud (where the orientation is based) versus Nusa Penida (the site of the Turtle Conservation Project), as this may be really useful information for future volunteers. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!

jenny
Bali

A volunteer or a local?

I wanted to travel out of my depth, on my own and as far away as possible... I wanted to escape my ordinary routine and day to day activities by stepping out of my comfort zone completely. I live in England and Bali has always been a mere dream however this year I decided to make it my reality.

Firstly, the IVHQ volunteer Facebook page gave me the platform to chat to other volunteers and before I had stepped foot out of my hometown, I had made friends for life. I planned to travel alone, however I made arrangements to fly with another IVHQ volunteer I met on the Facebook page who I ended up living with during my stay in Bali. So, my first tip to you... you should use social media to its advantage and be confident to talk to new people, it’s where my volunteering story began.

Bali welcomed me with open arms; from the minute I stepped off the plane (from a long 27 hour journey) I was greeted by my transport, on time too! When I arrived it was the middle of the night, therefore my journey from the airport into Ubud centre was dark and a little daunting. However, my driver spoke good English and he made me feel very safe.

Let’s talk about my accommodation. Now, I have known a fair few people that have volunteered with different programmes all over the world and I have to say I had build up an imagine in my mind of where I would be sleeping... let’s just say it wasn’t pleasant. Nevertheless, when I arrived at Tini House (my house name) in the middle of the night, jetlagged and hoping for the best, I was pleasantly surprised. My accommodation was absolutely stunning and bursting with Balinese culture. Mrs Tini, our house owner, was a lovely lady who made me feel welcome from the get go. She spoke about how she wanted to keep the volunteers safe in her local town and if we needed anything night and day she would be at hand. I did feel very much at home, I have to admit. I was sharing with 5 others in my bedroom but in total 18 in our house, which at first was daunting however after a couple late night chats in the front garden, quickly we became a family.

Tip: if you meet people in your house that you get on really well with and feel you would like to volunteer with them on your programme, don’t be scared to ask. I asked to teach with a friend that I lived with and the co-ordinators are more than happy to put people that get on well together, together in the classroom.

The orienteering week for me was absolutely fantastic. It gave you the opportunity to see the best of Bali. The rice fields, temples, traditional dancing and so much more. On reflection they gave you the opportunity to live like a local while getting to know your peer volunteers from all over the world. As a student art teacher at home... I personally loved getting involved with local Batik painting; we were even allowed to keep our design. (which made an amazing souvenir by the way.) This week was packed with energy and all the volunteers were buzzing, we were able to mingle in the cafes and meet local people that lived in Penestanan village. Its true what they say about the local people being friendly and accommodating, they are happy to help you with whatever you may need during your time volunteering.

Tip: If you are travelling from England, the exchange rate for British Pounds is higher than any other currency you are recommended to take. Get your money changed over there instead of prior to your trip, the ATM’s are really close by and easy to access money too. The closest ATM was located at the BINTANG MARKET, around a 20 minute walk from the village.

As I student teacher at home, teaching the kids at Sabatu school was a dream. It was challenging if I am going to be honest, the kids struggled with English speaking and the language barrier proved to be difficult at times however with help from the co-ordinators you soon feel comfortable being left alone with them. A quick tip; don’t plan a lesson each day to fill the full two hours you are teaching in the classroom, the kids get bored quickly after a long day at school so plan some games, prepare to have fun and don’t be scared to get involved, they love it! We played games such as; Simon Said, Duck Duck Goose and Heads up Thumbs Down.

The rice terrace house was accommodating to plan lessons with plenty of books, two computers and a photocopier, so don’t worry you aren’t left to your own devices. What I would say is don’t be afraid to get attached to the kids, you build a relationship with them that changes your life, they appreciate everything you give to them and in return they give back by making you smile. Leaving them is hard, for sure, but it makes you feel like your time volunteering has been worth it.

You are given the option with IVHQ to be in a school teaching or to teach kindergarten. I wanted to teach as this is my career prospect however with teaching comes restriction as you are travelling to the school and teaching from 1pm- 5pm, I didn’t mind this as I was there to teach however this factor caused issues with other volunteers wanting more spare time to see the island. Kindergarten starts very early in the morning and ends around 10.30am. If you are unsure, you can change programmes while you are there or you can do both during your time, even better!

The food at the canteen gave you a taste of Balinese culture. Each day was something different, some days you might like it, other days you might not but don’t expect western meals as this was not on our menu. It was nice to try new things and I certainly did, there is always something you can eat so don’t worry about that. But, if you prefer to eat out, there are local cafes in the village that have amazing local and western dishes for real cheap too. A walk into Ubud centre, which is filled with restaurants and always buzzing from morning until night, is around 30 minutes from the village and you can always find something you like to eat there.

I was lucky enough to meet fantastic people and make friends for life, we all shared a common interest and that was to explore the island. On weekends we visited Gili Air, Ulu Watu and Nusa Lembongan, along with doing activities such as; visiting the rice terraces, white water rafting, snorkelling, visiting food festivals and doing Mount Batur sunrise trek. You seriously can’t be robbed for the price you pay to do fantastic things in Bali that at home would cost you an arm and a leg. The memories that you make here are built into the weekends, there's nothing better than experiencing new things with a group of people who are there to have fun just as much as you are. Also, quick tip; get a massage in Penestanan, they are fantastic.

I loved every second of my time in Bali; you are able to experience the different ways of life to Bali by living away from the beach in an area packed with culture however the option to travel at the weekend is there for you too. I can honestly say you will be welcomed into the community by the locals with grace and appreciation for your kindness to volunteer which makes the experience worthwhile. So, finally I hope I have been as helpful as I could be to new volunteers, I hope you have a fantastic time in Bali or with any IVHQ volunteer programme and stay safe!

Jenny Anderson

I don’t feel that there is much you could improve about this programme, what I would say is it would have been nice to have a return transfer back to the airport from Green Lion. But other than that, I had a great time!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jenny, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you loved every second of your time in Bali. Thanks for sharing practical advice around connecting with other IVHQ volunteers through social media, meeting the local community, making the most of your teaching placement, and enjoying the local food and Balinese sights. We have loved having you volunteer with us and would happily welcome you again in the future!

Gloria
Hong Kong

Bali - not just about resorts

Teaching healthcare classes in a district called Lovina for a week took me plenty of energy, but the experience was soooo rewarding that I didn't feel tired at all when I was back home! Probably it's what it meant by feeling pumped?!

The kids I was assigned to teach were second to third graders, who were all eager and humble to learn. It took me a bit of time to get used to their pattern, like they might be so excited during the class that they put off their shoes and ran around; and you could also from their tiny brown teeth that they had not been brushing them very properly. Well, I guess that's why they need better healthcare education (including the basic stuff like how to wash hands and shower) and that's what makes the volunteering extra meaningful. Another fun thing is that they only had limited proficiency in English - so we had to communicate in the very basic English, a bit of Bahasa Indonesian and a lot of body language. No worries though, through games and laughter, everybody's able to get along well very quickly. The most encouraging moment to me was that, after each class, kids would come to you one by one to thank you for the efforts made (by putting your hand gently to their foreheads).

As for the accommodation and meal, of course you can't expect to have 5-star services, but you can definitely feel the most original, exotic kind of lifestyle there, with the local staff there trying their best to ensure everything is clean and safe. The transit transport from airport to the hostel offered by IVHQ is also a plus to me!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gloria, Thanks for sharing! We are thrilled to hear that your experience on the program in Lovina left you feeling pumped! It sounds like you had a lot of fun teaching Healthcare Education and we thank you for adapting your lessons to suit the age and level of English of the kids in your class. Thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer!

Thivashini
Malaysia

Bali truly Asia

Bali has always been a truly Asia country with its own unique practices and believes. As for me, Bali was the first country I have visited alone after 23 years. The first country that actually makes my journey smooth, makes me feel safe and builds my confidence. I never had any expectations from the beginning of the program as I did not know what was coming. But trust me! The moment the program started, I've gained numerous amount of friends from locals and foreigners. They treated me like a family and I did not feel any less than home. It was also a great opportunity to learn about their culture and country. During my 2 weeks of stay, I chose healthcare education. There were about 25 to 30 kids aged 6 to 12 years old in my class. Yes!! they can be really a pain in your butt but when comes to education, they are very much eager to learn. The respect and love, you receive from them is inevitable. I was left in tears on my last day when the kids came hugging and said goodbye. Even saying goodbye to the locals and other friends I've met was really hard and sad. I cannot express my feelings but I can surely say that it made a huge impact on my perspective towards life when I left Bali. Embrace the needs whenever you can. The smallest act of kindness is the road to victory. Dear future volunteers, have the least expectation and you'll have the best time of your life.
After returning from Bali, I reminisced all the moments I had in Bali and really looking forward for my next visit.
Thank you to everyone who was part of my journey.

Everything has been good so far

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Thivashini, Thank you for your beautiful review! We are so happy to hear that you felt safe, confident, supported and welcomed while you were on the program in Bali. It is inspiring to hear that your time in Bali has given you a new perspective toward life and we would love to have you return one day. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Hindu purification ritual at Holy Spring Tempel
Kevin Joachim
Germany

IV-licious Experience!!!

This was my first time volunteering abroad and I'm so glad that I got the chance to do it with IVHQ! I really loved it and I won't hesitate to go for it another time! IVHQ is a really great partner at your side throughout the whole experience: From the very first email I received from Chloe to the after-volunteering services I felt well taken care of.
Looking back, I find it important to share that the most important thing to do in order to have an outstanding volunteering experience was a proper planning before starting the program. Although most information mentioned in the interactive volunteering handbook provided by IVHQ is obvious to most of us, it was still very useful and reminded me of some things I might have forgotten to consider without reading it. Therefore, I can definitely recommend to go through it well a couple of weeks before leaving your home country.
In contrast, the best thing to do when actually being on the volunteering program is abandoning this kind of planning approach and rather engage in an more open and adventurous "let's just do it approach"! Although one might encounter several "uncomfortable" situations, I really enjoyed being outside of my usual comfort zone - teaching English to 4-years old kids was completely new to me and I had no idea how to manage it in the beginning! Thanks to being open and saying "yes" to things I usually would have said "no" to helped me to meet outstanding personalities and make unforgettable memories.
The life lesson that I took from this experience is not being afraid of possibly "uncomfortable" encounters anymore and integrating the respectful as well as peaceful Balinese lifestyle into my way of living.

The only thing I can emphasize here is that the interactive IVHQ volunteering handbook should have an earlier deadline by which outgoing volunteers have to complete the "cultural lessons". In my opinion, this deadline should be one of the first things that a volunteer has to complete before leaving for a program so that all the necessary planning can be based on this information accordingly; e.g. what to expect from the program, being realistic about personal goals, what not to do, what not to bring, what to bring, etc.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kevin, Thanks so much for sharing the lessons you learnt while volunteering in Bali. We think that your advice to thoroughly read the volunteering handbook before you leave and to then allow yourself to stop planning and to enjoy all aspects of the program when you arrive is spot on. Thanks for being an awesome IVHQ volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Julie
Austin, TX, USA

Get ready to have the time of your life!

First, a little bit about Bali: Bali will forever have my heart! It's cheap and safe, most people speak English, and it has amazing culture and nightlife, as well as every activity you could possibly want to do on a tropical island (snorkeling, waterfalls, surfing, volcanoes). Hands down my favorite place I visited in SE Asia.

Volunteering abroad, particularly with IVHQ, is a truly amazing experience. The program itself was affordable and well-organized, and my homestay was so cool! The compound I stayed in was absolutely beautiful, and my host family was really welcoming.

Another thing that makes this program so great is that it provides a built-in support and social network. Being able to lean on the local volunteer organization for assistance when necessary makes traveling internationally less daunting, and the program also provides a great way to make friends if you're traveling solo.

I loved being able to make a positive impact on the lives of others while also getting the chance to explore a new place and culture. Traveling around Bali on the weekends with the friends I made was probably my favorite part. I highly recommend Nusa Lembongan, Uluwatu, and Gili--truly heaven on earth!

My main suggestion is to work with the local volunteer organization to make the projects more organized. I taught English, and the program was pretty disorganized. We weren't given any guidance when creating curriculum, and I had a different class and age group each day, so it was hard to effectively teach concepts because we were constantly having to start from square one. It also wasn't fair to the kids, as they were continuously cycling through new teachers and lessons, making it hard for them to really learn and internalize concepts.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julie, It is so great to hear you had an amazing experience volunteering in Bali! We received similar feedback at the time you were on the program and since then we have developed a dedicated learning center for volunteers to create their lessons with the support of the coordinators. Volunteers are also now working with the same classroom for the duration of their program. It was awesome to read your review and very interesting for us to see how much the program have improved since 2015! Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future!
Chloe - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Mackenzie
United States of America
Pennsylvania State University

My Review

I really enjoyed my program in Bali. The accommodation was clean, the food was great, and the staff were very helpful and kind. I heard some of the other houses, however had issues with cockroaches and bedbugs in their rooms, but I didn't have any of those in my house/room, so I'm very thankful for that.
I would suggest though, that everyone get a mosquito net for at night, because the occasional mosquito does get in, and at one point, one of my roommates woke up covered in bug bites because she didn't have a net.
My favorite memory was climbing to the top of Mount Batur, the volcano and watching the sunrise. It was so ethereal and tranquil, and there's nothing like it. It was also freezing cold and incredibly hard to go back down, but totally worth it.

The only thing that I can think of that can be improved is the food that the program served. I didn't like it whenever they would make us the "western" meals. But I did love when they made the Indonesian food so much, I just wish they would've made it more often.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mackenzie, We are so glad to hear that you really enjoyed your program in Bali. It is awesome that you were able to experience watching a sunrise from the top of Mount Batur! Thanks for your advise for future Bali volunteers and for being an IVHQer!

Erin
California
Chapman University

Kindergarten Caos to Comfort

On the first day of volunteering I was a bit overwhelmed by the craziness of the kindergarten students and their inability to comprehend what my fellow volunteer and I were trying to teach them. I became a bit scared that teaching them would be harder than I thought it would. But by the second day my worries completely vanished. We played games and used pictures and the whole experience became incredibly fulfilling. When it was time to say goodbye I had unexpectedly learned so much from all of the students and I of course didn't want to say goodbye.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Erin, Thanks for sharing. We are so glad to hear that you persevered after a difficult first day at your placement to have a really rewarding and fulfilling volunteer experience. It has been great to have you volunteer with IVHQ in Bali and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Teisha
Brisbane, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Queensland University of Technology

Healthcare Education in Ubud, Bali

Heading into my program I experienced a range of different emotions. I was overwhelmed with excitement, anticipation, but nervous about the experience which awaited me.

I've always had this overarching desire to travel, experience and help others. However, anxiety and fear had always stood in my way.

Fortunately I managed to convince my best friend to partake in this experience with me. And what an experience it was. I never expected to meet so many kind and compassionate people, and build such strong and relationships.

I was submerged into a totally different society and i learned about the cultural backgrounds of my fellow volunteers.

As we arrived at our volunteer house we really weren't sure what we had gotten ourselves into. We had set expectations. Do not set expectations. Expectations can often lead to disappointment if your experience doesn't turn out to be what you were expecting. This is a really significant piece of advice that I can give to any person not only considering volunteering, but in day to day life. It's about staying in the moment as often as you can. It was only my first day into the program and I had already had my first learning experience.

The next morning we met our orientation group and began our volunteer adventure. I had already made tons of new friends, which were soon to be life long friends. The orientation week was phenomenal.
Overall, my volunteering experience in Ubud, Bali was like nothing I had ever experienced. It was

I had gone into this experience stressing about the 'what ifs.' What if I don't make friends? What if I'm not good at my project? What if I don't have a good experience?

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Teisha, Thanks for sharing a little about your experience on the Bali Healthcare Education program. We are so glad to hear that you pushed through your anxiety and fears to have a phenomenal experience in Bali. Thank you for being an IVHQer!

Aviva
Beijing

Bali, a breathtaking place making you wanna go back

I have to admit that some regret exists in my every trip, however, what surprise me is that this trip to Bali is totally awesome.
First of all, the arrangement is more than appropriate. During the first week, all the activities we had is for us to fit in. The orientation gets us to know about each other. Actually, you can make quite a few friends after this week. Among all the classes we had, I suppose one, the Bahasa Indonesia class, is really unique as well as useful. It contains basic Bahasa Indonesia words and expressions which makes it a lot easier for us to communicate with our students in the next week. And when I asked about my friends who also volunteered overseas, they wished they had such arrangement. In my view, if you go overseas, a language class helps most and gives you something to take back home.
When teaching week came, every two people took charge of one grade. That's pretty good. Also, the staff gave us some information on teaching feedback from earlier volunteers. We made our teaching plan basing on the feedback. We were teaching the second grade, and those kids had the big passion for English learning. Honestly, some of them were quick learners. So, teaching is not that hard, and pretty interesting as well.
Moreover, the school starts at 2pm in summer, so you can explore the island in the morning. Like the girls in next dormitory took one morning to see the dolphins. Also, you can go to some islands on weekends to learning surfing, as there can be too many people in Kuta. I went to Bali with six friends, thus we spent two relaxing days in Lembongan.

Maybe staff could do better in connecting the previous volunteers and the coming volunteers.
Although we have the feedback, it didn't tell us in detail, just some overall stuffs. And when we went to class, we found that students actually knew those things we planned to teach. As there was no time for a new plan, we just taught them the same thing again.
If staffs have a book for each grade where previous volunteers can write down daily plan. I believe not only time will be saved, but also children can learn something more.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Aviva, We are so glad to hear that you had a totally awesome time on the program in Bali. It sounds like you made the most of your time there by enjoying orientation week, getting stuck into the volunteer work and exploring Bali in your spare time. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

YAN HUI
Tianjin,China

Surprising travel

I have never thought about the great change this program brought to me.It was the first time I went abroad and met different people all over the world.This program gave me the chance to learn about different culture and experience a different life.After this activity,I became brave to try new things.

I really recommend you to come with your friends,especially to the person who like experience the new things.

wonderful culture difference

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yan Hui, Thanks for sharing. We are so happy to hear that you had the opportunity to learn about a different culture and experience a different life while on the program in Bali. Thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer and we hope your new-found bravery continues to grow!

Yiying
Shijiazhuang,Hebei province,China

More Than Volounteer

IVHQ is definitely a responsible organization,it helped me solve all my problems in preparation with amazing efficiency!Besides,they offer all volunteers good conditions of service.The airport transfers,daily trips transfers ,educational advice and culture introduction,all of these make me feel safe and warm.I was made to feel at home.
Teaching kindergarten kids was fun and rewarding.Singing with them,drawing pictures with them,playing outside with them,all these activities made me energetic and cheerful.Even though it was difficult for them to focus and memorize,it was completely worth it to see the look of joy on the kids faces when they can write down the numbers and the words.It was a little difficult to let all of them focus on your teaching but by asking them questions one by one I still overcame the it.Being a teacher in kindergarten makes me patient and outgoing.
The activities with other volunteers helped deepen friendship among us,and I feel so grateful to meet these amazing guys!All the volunteers got together at the beach with candles and drinks,playing games and talking about our hometown.The memory was precious.
This was my first volunteer experience through IVHQ and won’t be the last.Thanks for my great decision to start the unforgettable journey!
TIPS (Before)
1.Book your airline tickets as early as possible as the tickets will be ample and cheep.I booked 3 months before my program.
2.Review your route and confirm it with your local guide.Like ask him or her about the time of the airport transfer.
3.Check the web page termly.Make yourself clear about the materials that you need to be prepared in addition.Like the criminal background.
4.Prepare some gifts for your students and the volunteers there.
5.Check the weather condition and prepare proper clothes and shoes.
6.Buy a phone card online before your program in your own country.
7.Bring your own toiletries like toothbrush,toothpaste, towal and so on.
(During the program)
8.Be fully prepared for your lesson next day in case that your kids get bored.
9.Games always come first!Mix your education plan with games!Make them cheerful while learning things.
10.Step by step,repeat again and again!Kids in kindergarten are too young to memorize so many things as once is not enough.
11.Give them reward for good behavior.Small gifts will cheer them up.Candies,stickers and paper planes are all useful.

It can have an experience sharing before the program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yiying, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you had fun, made great friendships, and felt well supported by IVHQ and our local team. Your practical tips are awesome and will be very useful for those considering the program in Bali. We particularly like number 9, as you can’t be too serious when teaching kindergarten kids! Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future!

turtle!
Zoé
Montréal, Canada

Turtle Conservation Project 2016-17

I stayed in Bali for 3 weeks which I personally thought was more than enough but others a lot of other volunteers stay for longer period of time so that really depends on what you're comfortable with.
Orientation week: To be completely honest, since the turtle conservation project is on nusa penida and the orientation week is in bali, orientation wasn't a big must (but it was still nice considering because you do get to meet people from other projects).
As for the project itself, apart from being a bit repetitive, you get to work with a bunch of people you live with and with whom you get super close because we all live in the same accommodation and we all eat together so you really get to bond with everyone which is awesome. I have to say though that not all rooms have their own bathroom (but you get used to it fast) and yes, hot water in the shower is not a thing but seriously, you end up looking forward to your cold shower, trust me. Everything is also super close to the accommodation like the laundry place (it's literally next door and she sells MAGNUM ICE CREAM), the super market which is just down the road along with the ATM which is just a bit farther down and finally the place where all the turtles are that's right in front of our accommodation (along with the beach!!!). So really, it's an amazing experience :)
There's also the coordinators that are super super sweet and approachable! They always have a smile on their face and are super nice to be around.

Buy filters for the tanks!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Zoe, Thanks for sharing this informative review from your time in Bali. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed getting to know the other volunteers from all around the world and felt well supported by our local team. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Hayley
Manchester

An Unforgettable Experience

A group of 26 children running and climbing all over me can only have one explanation - it was the first day of my Kindergarten project. I have never seen so many smiles in one room, the children were incredible, full of life, and so ready to learn. We had been given a lot of information on our class and were provided with notes on what they had already been learning so planning lessons and activities was a breeze! All the nerves I had recently had about teaching had completely gone since myself and my teaching partner made a great team. We used the week to try and help the children learn about plants, so with this we had them making DIY trees, singing songs, and creating their own gardens. Whenever a child had finished with their work they would run up to you just so they could get a high 5 (I probably gave out a 1000 of these every day)! This project was extremely rewarding, especially when you could see what a difference you were making to the children. When I wasn't in the Kindergarten I was exploring Bali with new friends from all around the world. During the induction week we were taken on lots of tours to become familiar with Ubud one of which was the Monkey Forrest. I bought a bunch of bananas and held them up in the air, not expecting the drama that would then follow... 6 monkeys began to jump and hang all over me. I couldn't stop laughing but eventually one sat on my shoulder and in return for the banana I gave him, he left a warm present on my shoulder and even though I was disgusted by the smell, I had never laughed so hard! Overall my IVHQ experience couldn’t have been better, from the second I signed up to the final day of my project I was given complete support from all the staff. I couldn't recommend IVHQ enough, I now have friends from every continent around the world and have made some unforgettable memories from one of the most incredible experiences of my life!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hayley, We are so happy to hear that your IVHQ experience couldn’t have been better! You have a great way of expressing how exciting, challenging, fun and rewarding it is to volunteer on the Kindergarten project in Bali. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future!

Nicole
Chicago
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising

First Time Traveling Alone

My IVHQ trip to Bali was not only my first time traveling not alone but also traveling to Asia! I was not only nervous, but extremely scared. After arriving and meeting all of my new friends, all of my fears instantly disappeared. I have grown so much personally and am very excited to take many more trips in the future. Staying the home was very comfortable and everyone felt like family. We went on many adventures together and I never felt alone.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nicole, Thanks for sharing. We are so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience travelling on your own! Hopefully this is just the beginning of many more adventures for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Thomas
London

The best experience of my life so far

I was lucky enough to spend 12 weeks volunteering in Bali via IVHQ and I can honestly say it was the best experience of my life so far.
Everything about Bali I fell in love with - the people (the most welcoming and friendly people you'll ever meet), their values and culture, the scenery (from mountains, to lush greenery, to some of the most stunning beaches in the world), the food and just the general way of life.
Everything about the volunteer program was great as well. IVHQ were fantastic leading up to going out there, dealing with any queries/concerns imminently and Green Lion (the organization that runs the projects out there) were incredibly helpful and really go out of their way to make sure each volunteer is happy and getting the most out of their time out there.
I did the kindergarten project and was blown away by just how keen the kids were to learn English. I found it incredibly rewarding and my one piece of advice would be, if you can, go for as long as possible as the longer you stay teaching these kids (or doing any other project for that matter) the more you will get out of it and the more they will get out of you as well. Sometimes it can be hard on the kids if they have a different teacher every couple of weeks (especially the kindergarten age group) and the longer you stay with them the more they'll get used to your teaching methods and you'll form more stronger bonds with them over time.
One final thing, I've done a bit of travelling before but this was the first time I went out by myself and I'm so glad I did. Not only will you form friendships for life with other like-minded volunteers from around the world but if you go out of your way a bit you can get to know the locals really well as well. The Balinese are incredible people, whose values in life I highly admire and I'm now lucky enough to call a fair few of them very good friends.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Thomas, Thanks for sharing this fantastic review from your time in Bali! It is awesome to hear that you fell in love with the people, their values and culture, the scenery, the food and the way of life. We love the final paragraph of your review as we often hear about how travelling alone provides an amazing opportunity to connect with like-minded travellers from all over the world, however it is also really special to have the opportunity to make local friends too. Thanks for your review and for being an awesome volunteer! We would love to have you back one day.

Morgan
Charles Sturt University

WOW

When I first arrived in Bali to undertake the teaching program, I felt nervous and excited and was so glad to have one of my close friends sharing the experience with me. As we drove closer to our accommodation, the nerves and fear hit an all time high and all of a sudden I found myself feeling a sense of culture shock- something I had never even heard of, however unbeknownst at the time; the start of something wonderful.

By day two, I was at home in Penestanan. The Green Lion Staff were simply friends who went over and above to ensure that all of our needs, no matter how great or small, were met beyond expectation. The Hindu culture was an amazing thing to learn about, as well as the traditional ceremonies and practices of the modern day Balineese people. Orientation week (although exhausting in the heat) was a great experience, and I fully encourage everyone to attend every activity and make as many friends as you can- from all around the world! Weekends away were always exciting, with the prospect of exploring a new place and meeting new people. The children were beautiful, some of the most grateful, humble, loving children I have met (coming from a teacher background). We would drive around half an hour to have them waiting out the front of the school with smiles on their faces, arms wide open and ready for some fun and games (and of course some English). There aren't enough words to express how the experience makes you feel, do it for yourself!

I would remove the kindergarten program. These children are too young to understand you and the language barrier is far too significant for any learning to be communicated.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Morgan, Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear that even the most intense nerves can vanish in a day. We are glad that you enjoyed the orientation, meeting other volunteers, and teaching the children at your placement. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Chloe – IVHQ Bali Program Manager

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to