Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Bali with IVHQ

Mount Batur
Mount Batur
Turtle release
Turtle release

Trusted by 100,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Bali and 50+ other destinations around the world.

As an IVHQ volunteer in Bali, you can choose to volunteer in the cultural hub of Ubud or the coastal town of Lovina. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals, and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers, so even before you depart for Bali, you’ll receive outstanding service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Bali programs are available year-round, starting every Monday and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks.
  • Best value volunteer program fees from $325 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • Choose from a diverse range of project options, including Teaching, Kindergarten, Environmental Education, Health Education, Construction and Renovation and Turtle Conservation.
  • Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization and you’ll have 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll be joining between 40 and 80 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Bali each month and you’ll be joining a network of 100,000+ volunteers.

Popular Programs

Teaching Project

As a volunteer on our Teaching project in Bali, you will play a hands-on role in developing the English language skills of elementary students within Ubud. Balinese students are eager to practice their conversational English skills and learn from native speakers, as greater English literacy supports opportunities for higher education and career prospects in areas like Bali where Tourism is a rapidly expanding industry.

Environmental Education Project

As a volunteer on our Environmental Education project in Bali, you will play an important role in educating young Balinese children about protecting the local environment. Plastic water bottles and plastic food wrappers are of great concern in Bali and you will often see people simply throwing these on the ground, as food in Bali was traditionally wrapped in banana leaves.

Turtle Conservation Project

As a volunteer on our Turtle Conservation project, you will work alongside a local team on the small island of Nusa Penida to help protect the endangered sea turtles of Indonesia via both proactive and reactive activities. The long-term aim of this project is to increase the turtle population within the area of Nusa Penida.

If you’re someone who has an interest in wildlife, conservation efforts and likes being outdoors, this project is for you!

Construction and Renovation Project

As a volunteer on our Construction and Renovation project in Bali, you will play an important role in supporting the development and refurbishment of community infrastructure within Ubud.

This project is well suited to volunteers with a willingness to work hard and an enthusiasm for helping out wherever your support is most needed. Your tasks may include laying bricks, painting, laying tiles, carpentry, landscaping or gardening. A typical day on the project will involve 3 - 4 hours of work.

It depends on where you are going and how long you are staying. For Indonesia, you do not need one if you are staying less than 30 days.
IVHQ requires that all volunteers participating on the program be at least 18 years old. However, if you volunteer with a parent or guardian on the same project as you, you can go at younger than 18. It is important to note that the local organization, Green Lion Bali, does host volunteers from other organizations other than IVHQ, and some of those organizations have different age requirements....

Meg

Amazing Experience

I took part in the turtle conservation project in Bali for 4 weeks, including the orientation week in Ubud which I would highly recommend as being a first time traveler to Asia, the activities organised for us really helped me to understand the local area and it’s people. I had the most amazing experience and had the best time making the awesome new friends, learning about the Balinese culture, exploring the beauty of island and taking part in the conservation efforts of the Green Lion Turtle Conservation Centre. Nusa Penida now feels like my second home and the Green Lion Team feel like family. The IVHQ and Green Lion team was very supportive through the whole experience and made it truly memorable. I would recommend going for a 4 week minimum to really get the best out of the project.

Zakiah

Experience volunteering with IVHQ

For my first solo trip, I'd decided to make it a meaningful one by volunteering with IVHQ and it has got to be one of the best decisions that I've made! From planning my trip to my arrival in Bali, everything were smooth-sailing as IVHQ would carefully list the things that I'd have to do and know prior to my trip. Although there were some skeptics about the program, after meeting the team at Green Lion, I felt reassured that it was going to be a wonderful trip and it really was!

I participated in the kindergarten program and although I would only interact with the kids for 2 hours each day, it was the highlight of my whole trip. Being able to speak bahasa is definitely an advantage as I was able to connect with the kids faster and execute the lesson in a way they could understand. The only thing I regret was that it was only for a week. It was bittersweet leaving the kids and Bali so soon but I know that I would be back again!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely be more outspoken than I was the last time. The volunteers that I met were friendly and it was nice getting to know so many people from different countries. However, I am generally a shy person so I was pretty reserved most of the time. Plus, travelling alone did not make things any easier. So I definitely wish to have a different experience in my next trip and hopefully, I would create lifelong friendships!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Zakiah, thanks for your review of our program in Bali - Ubud. It's great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience and that our service exceeded your expectations! Your contribution to the community is greatly appreciated. We look forward to your next volunteer experience with IVHQ! ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Sarah

Joy in Ubud, Bali Indonesia

Never did I think I'd have such an incredible experience abroad volunteering. The level of care put into the program, the employees are so friendly and caring, and the food OH MY GOSH the food was so good. The staff cooked 3 meals each day with set times to arrive. The dishes were a mix of their traditional Balinese cuisines (to die for!) with some popular western dishes such as chocolate chip pancakes. I cannot recommend IVHQ enough. From start to finish they guided me and provided me the support to ensure I was fully prepped. The program offers an online guide with interactive tutorials and invaluable advice about the culture and regions you'll be visiting. They even offer assistance booking tour flight through a travel agency which proved to be extremely helpful. 10 stars!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would've stayed longer. Unfortunately I signed up for just a week not knowing what to expect. I 100% wish I'd stayed longer.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, thanks for your review of our program in Bali - Ubud. It's great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience and that our service exceeded your expectations! Your contribution to the community is greatly appreciated. We look forward to your next volunteer experience with IVHQ! ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Andrea

An amazing experience abroad

My experience in Lovina, Bali was amazing. It was very rewarding and extremely rich in emotions. I have many good memories and I wish I could have stayed longer. Working with children was a unique experience. I learned a lot about Balinese culture and their values.

The coordinators really supervised us and made sure that our experience took place in the best conditions. In addition, the coordinators always brought me very quick answers to my questions. I think this adventure is interesting for anyone looking to help others but also to take time to be. Indeed, Lovina was the perfect place to relax and enjoy Balinese life.

I was able to organize my adventure as a volunteer in Lovina with the IVHQ association. I highly recommend this association which helped me to find the program that suited me best.

To prepare some activities before coming for the kids.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Andrea, thanks for your review of our Bali program. I'm glad to hear that you have made lasting memories. Thank you for your contribution to the Balinese community. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again in the future! ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Peter

Great support

Excellent support for my family and I from well before the trip to well after. Local support was of high standard as well which is a direct reflection of IVHQ. Fees are the lower then other organizations according to our research and we would definitely work with IVHQ again.

have an open mind...trust the IVHQ and local staff and speak up if you have a query or concern. Staff are there to ensure your comfort, safety and enjoyment.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Peter, thanks for your review of our Bali program. it's great to hear that you have had a rewarding time. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Nadia

Health care program in Bali

I volunteered with IVHQ in Bali, doing the healthcare education program & my experience was beyond amazing. While preparing to go, IVHQ was of great help & support, the online guide had more than enough information, & whenever I had a question, my program manager was always there to help. The local staff in Bali were just as supportive, I felt so safe in their care. The accommodation was really nice, the house was beautiful, we had a daily cleaning service, the food was amazing, we had Western options as well as traditional Indonesian options. My placement was good too, I got to work with amazing people, & I made lots of friends there. I definitely recommend volunteering with IVHQ, cause they made my trip to Bali so worthwhile, & so much fun

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nadia, thanks for your review of our Bali program. It's great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience. The effort you put in to your contribution to the project is greatly appreciated. ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Sharon

Life Enhancing

This was truly a life enhancing experience and I was not expecting to gain such valuable insights and learning from this program.
IVHQ was professional and supportive and worked in perfect tandem with their local representatives of Green Lion. They really lived up to their promises in regards to food, accommodation, location and of course the program content itself. The work gave me a sense of purpose and achievement while allowing me the opportunity to really see firsthand local culture and the way of life In that area .... This is an excellent way of traveling, to see parts of the world not often explored by modern tourism, and done in a more responsible and sustainable manner. It gives the opportunity to give something back in exchange for some wonderful memories. I would highly recommend this volunteer  program ....
It's easy to make new friends, especially if you take the orientation week, you get to know people better and spend time together. At the weekends there are plenty of trips to do, to explore the island and try local experience. The immediate locals are very warm and inviting and will let you get involved in what ever is happening in the village, for example we went to the local volley ball finals which was great fun and taken very seriously by the fans!!
If you are open to taking opportunities that arrive then you will have a rich and fulfilling time here!!!

What was your funniest moment?
Taking part in a scavenger hunt arrange by the other volunteers
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sharon, thanks for your review of our Bali - Ubud program. It's so good to hear that you enjoyed your time there and made some lasting memories. The contribution you made to the community on the Construction & Renovation project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

SHENMENG

must come!

Teaching in Bali, Lovina is a very unforgettable experience in my life. Lovina is really really beautiful! The children(so lovely~) in Bali really need us, they need more fresh and valuable things to get through their childhood. And in other part, you can have a chance to communicate with so many different people around the world through hiqv program. you will have a good time there! The food is good and clean and it's always enough for you if you want more. The local team members are really nice. They always try to make you feel comfortable, if you have any question, they will be there anytime to support you. bali lovina is a really dream place!

What was your funniest moment?
less regislation fee...Teaching in Bali, Lovina is an very unforgetble experience in my life. Lovina is really really beautiful! The children(so lovely~) in Bali really need us, they need more fresh and valuable things to get through their childhood. And in other part, you can have a chance to communicate with so many different people around the world throuh hiqv program. you will have a good time there! The food is good and clean and it's always enough for you if you want more. The local team members are really nice. They always try to make you feel comfortable, if you have any question, they will be there anytime to suport you. bali lovina is a really dream place!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shenmeng, I'm so glad to hear that you had such a rewarding experience on our Bali - Lovina program. The contribution that you made to the community on the Teaching project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali - Lovina Program Manager

Aina

I've been volunteering in Bali for three weeks

I've been volunteering with IVHQ program three weeks in Bali. I taught there English to kids from eight to nine years old and they were the cutest! At first is hard for us not to speak the local language so they can't understand all we are saying, but once they gain confidence to you they start participating on the class activities and always want to join the new games you prepare for them. It was really hard for me leaving them on my last day of the program.
The place you stay there (Green Lion) is really amazing, is on the middle of many local rice fields (what provides the residence an amazing landscapes) but, at the same time, only at twenty minutes from the amazing cultural capital, Ubud. The staff always look after you with a huge smile and tries to make you feel Green Lion as home. Food is really yum! It is cooked as the traditional Indonesian food based specially on vegetables, tempeh, tofu, chicken, rice, noodles and many fruit and every Thursday it is hold the special dinner to say goodbye to the volunteers that are leaving that week.
My experience with the people I met there was really amazing, I knew people from many countries and they made my trip being even better. We shared every moment together: from the activities on the introduction week, the classes, the activities we organized by ourselves or the weekend trips.
I really recommend Bali as a place to live the volunteering experience, and don't be afraid to exit your confort zone, it's worth it.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I drunk the world most expensive coffee. And it was made of cat's poo!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Aina, thanks for your review of the Bali program. I'm glad to hear your time on the project was rewarding and well enjoyed. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Ellie

Meaningful travel...

...solo or in a group!

I did the turtle conservation programme in Bali for two weeks solo, and found it to be a great way to experience the culture, meet new people and feel like I was doing something worthwhile! Organising it all was a breeze as a lot was done by IVHQ, and they were easy to contact about any questions.
I had a really lovely and useful induction week which gave me plenty of opportunity to explore as much as possible in my time frame, led by supportive local staff, and the conservation centre was run just as well. The shared accommodation was comfortable and exceeded expectations, and we were all well fed.
There was a real mix of other volunteers all from different places and ages, even in the off-peak season when I went. A lot of people travelling alone but also groups like siblings etc. so it's a great chance to meet people and make new friendships.
There was a great balance of free time to scheduled activities, which allows you to do your own independent trips/activities alongside your voluntary work. It seemed that changing your programme was also quite flexible if you had a change of heart, or wanted to do multiple when staying for a longer period of time, so they really want you to enjoy your time there!
I came away feeling as though I had really learnt more about a beautiful country and the work I had helped to do, and had a lot of fun doing so.
TL;DR, Quality organisation, and space to really make your volunteer trip your own. Would do again!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Haggling in Ubud market
Translate a budget into Rupiah to stick to and be brave
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ellie, thanks for you review of the Bali program. Your effort on the Turtle Conservation Project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Alice

My experience in Bali

Hi i am Alice, i am 19 years old,
I am from italy and this summer i had the possibility to experience a volunteer project in Bali.
This adventure turned out to be one of the best things about my young life and now i could say that i am proud to think that when my parents asked me if i Wars sure to do an experience like that i answered yes.
it was not always easy indeed, most of the time I had to struggle with nights without sleep, difficulties with the language and homesickness.
But at the same time it gave me sensations I had never experienced before, like experiencing a Balinese festival in person, entering typical temples and praying with the locals.
And all this also doing good to people who really need it, but who nevertheless never stop smiling and remember that life is good after all, you need just to know how to balance good and evil.
but this would not have been possible without all the friendships I have been able to make from every part of the world and to a very efficient stuff that has provided to help me in every moment of difficulty.
so thank you

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alice, Thanks so much for your review of the Bali program. I'm happy to hear that you have had a rewarding experience on your project. Your hard work makes a difference. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Carson

Best experience of my life so far

The whole operation was ran amazing. Signing up and booking everything for the trip was very easy and accessible. The program managers that guide you along the way during the registration process were so helpful! Right from the start, the program in Bali was amazing the local team had everything set up and ready to go whether it was airport pick up, to the accommodation and volunteer program. They made the experience stress free and convenient. The people I met along the journey were amazing from the locals to the others in the volunteer house. Everyone was so genuine and unique in their own way which added to the experience. Being able to meet and connect with people from all over the world was incredible and made the trip better than ever expected!

My advice to future travelers is don't be nervous at all! Yes, you might be a little out of your comfort zone at first but you will then realize everyone volunteering at this program is in the same boat! You will be able to connect with awesome people from all over the world and you will settle in just fine. The locals and the friends you meet from the program are all very welcoming and helpful in all situations. The final tip I have for you it to be as open-minded as possible. You will experience so many new things and you need to try as much as you can becuase it will open up your eyes to a lot of things in life!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Carson, I'm so glad to hear you had a great time on the Bali program. It's a very rewarding program and the community really appreciate all the hard work that you put into your project. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Charbel

One of a kind experience!

Volunteering with IVHQ is truly a mesmerising and unforgettable experience! From the first day until the last day of the trip, I felt part of one, big family. This experience was not only life-changing but well beyond. The program was extremely well organised and our program coordinator was always available to us and very helpful and knowledgeable about everything we needed and especially the work we were doing.
Obviously, the first time you travel to a developing country such as Indonesia, you hear about the poverty and issues that local people are experiencing. But the fact of being present there really put things into perspective.
I felt so different and especially humbled after spending two weeks there, teaching the children basic English and getting to learn more about the culture and the way of life of local inhabitants. I am just so glad I didn’t let fear stop me from coming here. Everyone has been so warm and welcoming and I am thankful to everyone during these two amazing weeks.
Finally, some people say that travelling to a different country can sometimes be difficult, but the support and help offered by IVHQ, throughout the whole process, make you feel at home! From the first day to the moment of departure, they were there for me and for anything I needed!
I hope to be able to volunteer again with IVHQ and make a change in the future!

Just go there and enjoy yourself! Don't be afraid of getting out of your comfort zone and making new friends! The people are so nice and welcoming and the experience itself is very rewarding!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Charbel, thanks for sharing your review of our program in Bali. It's great to hear that you felt the program was well organized and that you felt supported and safe during your stay. Thanks for your contribution to the project and we hope to have you travel with IVHQ soon! ^Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Anais

Unforgettable two weeks!

I did the teaching program this summer for two weeks in Ubud, Bali. It was one of the best weeks of my life. I chose Bali because I am from Indonesia but i live in Amsterdam. I wanted to follow a program where I could really make a difference, that’s why i chose Bali. The program was to teach the kids english and if they didn’t understand something I could explain it to them in Bahasa. Not only the kids were amazing but the other volunteers were also so livening and kind. I would really recommend to volunteer with IVHQ.
This was the first time for me to do a volunteer program abroad. I was really nervous to travel alone and stay with “strangers” for two whole week. But after the first day you already feel like you’re part of something big. I made friends from all over the world. For me these were two unforgettable weeks!! If you’re thinking about it, Do it! you will not regret it!

The accommodation could be better, but it’s okay for two weeks. But if people are staying for two months, i don’t think it would be very comfortable.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Anaïs, thanks for taking the time to leave your review and your recommendation on choosing IVHQ when volunteering abroad. It was great to have you on the program and we thank you for your valuable contribution. ^Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Ann

Embarking on a life-changing journey

This was my first volunteering trip with IVHQ, and I’m certain it will not be the last. Bali had been my second home for two weeks and I had met the best people here! At first I was worried and anxious about going abroad all alone but when I put myself out of my comfort zone, I have one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Even though I only stayed for two weeks, I was indulging in the rich Balinese culture and was surrounded by helpful, supportive staffs and friends from all walks of life. Teaching the kids was very rewarding because I was welcomed with smiles and happy laughters everyday and the kids were so eager to learn. Being here definitely broadened my horizon and gave me a wonderful lifetime experience. Pictures will never describe my experiences here enough, and for sure it cannot explain how everything was even better everyday as I was with the best people!

I wish the content of the teaching made by previous volunteers could be gathered and passed to the next volunteers because my partner and I were repeating some of the things the kids already knew. It’s kind of wasting the kids’ time because they lost the chance to learn something new from the volunteers.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Great to hear you had a fantastic time in Bali, Ann! It sounds like pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone was a great decision and it's great that you felt emerged in the local community and culture during your time on the program. We'd love to have you come back soon! ^Lena - IVHQ Bali Program Manager