• Indonesia

Program Details

Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Guesthouse
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $385 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Apr 05, 2024
Jul 13, 2024
197 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 136,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's #1 rated volunteer programs in Bali and 50+ destinations worldwide.

For the past 6 years, we've won the "Top Volunteer Abroad Provider Award" from GoOverseas, so you can trust that you're in the safest hands with IVHQ in Bali.

Our affordable projects start from $26/day for your accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, project placement and local support. Projects run year-round, with durations from 1-12 weeks. Choose from 9 meaningful and life-enriching projects, ranging from Teaching and Kindergarten in the cultural hub of Ubud, to Sea Turtle Conservation on the island of Nusa Penida. Plus, you’ll stay in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world (private room options available).

With IVHQ’s superior pre-departure support services, you’ll gain exclusive access to your own Volunteer Travel Specialist, comprehensive preparation tools and volunteer training before you leave home.

Program Highlights

• Cheapest volunteer programs from $26/day for your accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, project placement & local support.
  • Volunteer for 1-12 weeks, year round start dates most Mondays
  • 15+ years experience & only B Corp certified volunteer travel organization
  • Get free changes up to 14 days before you start with our flexible booking policy
  • Affordable way to earn college credit - gain 5 credits for only US$500!

Popular Programs

Volunteer & teach in Bali with IVHQ

As a volunteer on our Teaching project in Bali, you will play a hands-on role in developing the English language skills of elementary students within Ubud. Balinese students are eager to practice their conversational English skills and learn from native speakers, as greater English literacy supports opportunities for higher education and career prospects in areas like Bali where Tourism is a rapidly expanding industry.

Environmental Education Project

As a volunteer on our Environmental Education project in Bali, you will play an important role in educating young Balinese children about protecting the local environment. You’ll be based in local primary schools, helping to run classes around recycling and community clean up campaigns. This project is well suited to volunteers with an interest in conservation and supporting the delivery of environmental education campaigns.

Turtle conservation in Bali with IVHQ

As a volunteer on our Turtle Conservation project, you will work alongside a local team on the small island of Nusa Penida to help protect the endangered sea turtles of Indonesia through proactive and reactive activities. The long-term aim of this project is to increase the turtle population within the area of Nusa Penida. If you’re someone who has an interest in wildlife, conservation efforts and likes being outdoors, this project is for you.

Volunteer in Bali with IVHQ

As a volunteer on our Construction and Renovation project in Bali, you will play an important role in supporting the development and refurbishment of community infrastructure within Ubud. This project is well suited to volunteers with a willingness to work hard and an enthusiasm for helping out wherever your support is most needed. Your tasks may include laying bricks, painting, laying tiles, carpentry, landscaping or gardening. A typical day on the project will involve 3 - 4 hours of work.

• 5 rating 91.74%
  • 4 rating 7.39%
  • 3 rating 0.43%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0.43%
Melanie
No, I don't recommend this program

SO disappointed!

I wish I had great things to say about this experience but I really dont.
I signed up for the Bali construction and renovation for 2 weeks and left after 2 days. The sanitary conditions as well as the safety conditions for the work were unacceptable.

I am really upset because I really wanted to help the locals doing this program. Instead, I feel like I was scammed and lost the $800 I paid for. I wonder where this money is going frankly because its definitely not going in the accommodation. Everything was dirty and smelled so bad, we did not have water at night to use the showers and bathrooms, the food was not nutritious nor good. What a shame.
Dont waste your money and time with IVHQ/Green Lion, you will be very disappointed.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Dear Melanie, we are sorry that you decided to leave the program after only one day. It is unfortunate that you did not discuss your concerns with the local team while you were there to allow them to address these issues, as most of your comments related to issues that were easily fixed. We monitor the post-trip feedback from all our volunteers very closely and no other volunteers have complained about the quality of the food or accommodation being dirty.

The water issue in the back building was caused by a broken motor in the well, which was not within our local team's control. This was quickly replaced, and did not affect the water supply in the front building. We were not able to offer you a private room as these were already fully booked but we did offer you a place in the front building, which had no water issues.

Elena

An unforgettable experience

We can’t thank IVHQ enough for the life forming experiences and opportunities they have given us. I participated in the healthcare education program and it was absolutely amazing. From planing the trip, to receiving support locally and making new friends that feel like family, this organization was there for us every step of the way. On my first day of volunteering I knew immediately I will be volunteering through this organization again. There have truly been no flaws and I am forever grateful. The local team was so amazing it felt like a big family and we had a blast together. Never did we feel alone or worried. Thank you so much.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Lots of dragon fruit. I love eating dragon fruit at home but the dragon fruit in Bali is incredible. It is much sweeter and has much more taste than in the US or in Germany. I ate it every single day it was amazing. (All the food in Indonesia was amazing though).
Pros
  • The local team feels like family
  • The kids we thought were extremely kind, grateful, and sweet
  • The food was amazing
Cons
  • Sometimes there were roosters that woke us up pretty early but we got used to it pretty quick and it was a much more enjoyable alarm clock than our phones.
Maria

Organized and helpful

This is my second time to volunteer abroad through IVHQ. I really had a great experience and the organization especially the program manager assisted me to prepare everything I need before the volunteer program. The Local Team both in Fiji and Bali were very friendly and helpful. In Bali, I did Turtle Conservation project. I had so much fun from cleaning the turtles and their tank and feeding them. Also enjoyed exploring the beauty of nature and culture of Bali. I'm excited to plan for my next volunteer program again with them.

Surfing at Kuta Beach, brushing and cleaning the turtles
Pros
  • personal growth
  • adventures
  • cultural immersion
Cons
  • accommodations needs improvement
  • can have more variety meals
  • time commitment
Savannah

Volunteering with turtles in Nusa Penida

I could not have enjoyed my time volunteering in Bali, Nusa Penida, any more than I already did! Unless maybe if I’d stayed for longer. The local team and coordinators did everything they could to make everyone feel safe and comfortable during their stay. The food and accommodation was brilliant, so much so that I found myself looking forward to every meal. I met amazing people for the short time (2 weeks) that I was there- it was awesome to be able to connect with people that have similar ambitions and goals but who came from a completely different culture or place in the world. Volunteering with the turtles was incredible and I encourage you to ask as many questions as you can to get the most out of the time you’re there. The actual volunteering itself wasn’t too strenuous and I found myself having so much fun each day. My personal favourite was probably the crab catching! It usually involved lots of laughter and running down the beach.I’ve come away feeling as if I helped out, even in a small way, and with so much new knowledge that I’ll now carry with me forever. Definitely try out a programme if you can!!

What was your funniest moment?
The bonfires that they held every Thursday night were always filled with lots of singing and laughter. Especially when the local team would sing the “Gecko song” that they made up.
Pros
  • Knowledge of Balinese culture
  • Knowledge of the turtles themselves
  • The food!!
Ben

Sea turtle conservation in Bali

I had an incredible experience volunteering with sea turtles in Bali. As it was my first time volunteering abroad by myself , I did not know what to expect. However , the local team were so kind and helpful and were having such a great impact on the sea turtle population. Days involved cleaning the turtles and their tanks , beach cleaning sometimes and crab catching. All meaningful activities. The rest of the time was our own to explore the area , relax or have fun with the friends we had quickly made.The food prepared by the local team was delicious too. It was hard at times , especially travelling by myself but completely worth it. Any advice i would give would be to definitely use an E-Sim because it was so much easier than an actual one :)

What was your funniest moment?
Someone drew a funny symbol into the beach at Kellingking haha.
Pros
  • Met amazing people
  • Cute sea turtles
  • Gorgeous place
Cons
  • Sunburn
  • Travel anxiety
  • Feeling bloated often
Enzo

Construction + sea turtles in Bali

Getting to meet and socialise with both new volunteers and locals was fantastic for me, as well as getting out of my comfort zone. The construction work I did especially felt quite rewarding. The coordinators are all great and are super easy to get along with. I did 4 weeks, with 3 weeks being in Ubud, Bali and the other week being in Nusa Penida to do the sea turtle program for a week. I found it to be a good balance between doing volunteer work and being able to relax and explore other parts of the areas in your free time. It was well worth doing.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I got to do the sunrise hike up Mount Batur and the views were honestly some of the most incredible I had ever seen.
Pros
  • Easy to get along with coordinators.
  • Rewarding work.
  • A good amount of free time as balance.
Cons
  • The sea turtle program in Bali can get a bit repetitive so unless you really enjoy working with sea turtles I would recommend doing at most 2 weeks.
Alissa

Once in a lifetime

Any volunteering trip that you do, you would meet the most amazing group of people from all over the world who share your passion. The work in itself is rewarding and the local team are always bubbly and willing to learn from you. We stayed on a remote island which gave us the chance to experience pure Balinese culture and learn from the locals. The amount of time you spend with the turtles is based around feeding time which leaves enough time to explore the island and on the weekends you can head back to the mainland

What was your funniest moment?
Funnies moment was every time the island lost power, we all brought out our torches and a pack of cards, sat in the dark and enjoyed a digital free night of games with a group of fellow volunteers and coordinators
Pros
  • Lifelong friends
  • Immersion of culture
  • Turtle knowledge
Cons
  • Roommates not willing to interact
  • Little volunteering time due to feeding
Eva

I had the best time in Bali

I had the best time in Bali, thank to IVHQ and the local team, and , now that I’m back home, I can’t stop thinking about the next volunteering trip with IVHQ. I was really well surrounded, from the preparation before leaving with my online correspondent, going through the local team and until the coming back home advices with an other online correspondent.
IVHQ told me everything I needed to know about the country, the culture, the food and the behavior I should have before leaving. They told me what I had to expect from the accommodation and the program there and it helped me making a precise idea of the trip and really reassured me before leaving.
Once I was there, I met the sweetest people, which was the local team, who were always happy to help, answer our questions or spending great time with us.
I had a lot of fun doing my program, I loved doing what we did, I loved thinking that we were useful and helping the local community and my coordinator were kind and funny.
The country itself was also really nice to visit, we were lucky to be surrounded by local people who were giving us advices on where to go and what to see and even helping us planning our weekends trips. I loved discovering Bali and its culture.
Finally, I’d like to say that I met so many amazing people, I got along with a lot of the volunteers who mostly were the same old as me, had the same “life situation” and the same points of interests. I made some really good friends there and will definitely meet them again soon!
Thank to IVHQ for the quality assistance that made me feel so safe before, during and after the trip.
My head is now full of amazing memories and experiences from that trip, I can’t wait for the next one!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I saw a coq fighting, and was really surprised to see all these local guys betting so much on the chickens and spending all the night watching the fights. I didn’t know that that kind of bettings existed and I felt so bad for the chickens.
Pros
  • Meeting amazing people
  • Learning more about foreign culture
  • Have more experience
Cons
  • The program places were sometimes a bit far from the accommodation
  • The accommodation were sometimes not really clean and not confortable
  • The beach was full of wastes