Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Bali from $295

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Bali? Join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, and travel with purpose.

You can choose from 6 volunteer project options based in and around the cultural center of Ubud, or the coastal village of Lovina. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in dedicated volunteer houses, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Bali, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you’re all about authentic experiences, diving deep into the culture, searching for opportunities to grow, discovering exciting adventures and real connections, then volunteering in Bali is for you.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Bali:

• Teaching
  • Kindergarten
  • Construction and Renovation
  • Environmental Education
  • Healthcare Education
  • Turtle Conservation
  • IVHQ’s Bali programs are available year-round, starting every Monday and you can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $295 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure training.
  • Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization and you’ll have 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll be joining between 40 and 80 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Bali each month and you’ll be joining a network of 80,000+ volunteers.

IVHQ requires that all volunteers participating on the program be at least 18 years old. However, if you volunteer with a parent or guardian on the same project as you, you can go at younger than 18. It is important to note that the local organization, Green Lion Bali, does host volunteers from other organizations other than IVHQ, and some of those organizations have different age requirements....

carlos ignacio

second time with ivhq

its my second time volunteering with IVHQ and im really happy that i was allowed to repeat the experience with them, Bali is a really unique place different from what you will see in any island of the world, our volunteer house was in a not touristic place, more local-farm place near ubud which for me was a big plus since i wanted to immerse in the culture o bali. the orientation week was great since it was a nice introduction to the island,their religion, their food, their culture, their handcrafting. and also was an opportunity to meet with the other volunteers. My project was health care education in a school for kids between ages 10-11, i really love the experience but i know i could do more than that so the coordinators algo allow me to be in the kindergarten project at the same time, i was really happy with both projects and in both of them i receive a lot from the coordinators. the house that i was staying was great, the food also was incredible and it was i nice touch from the coordinators to make a goodbye activities every Thursday to say thanks to the volunteers that were leaving, you can see that they really want to grow as groups and make a change, overall im really happy with the experience, it gave me more than i was expecting and also make me grow as a person in a lot of ways

with the helps of the new volunteers, the idea is to start little projects that can aport to the community and also let new comers to continue with those projects
Sandra

LOVED IVHQ!

IVHQ is my third volunteer program and by far my favourite and the most affordable! I travelled to Bali-Ubud for 3 weeks on the Kindergarten project. I recommend IVHQ to anyone who wants the freedom to travel but also have enough support and structure for a volunteer project. You are able to choose a project that is right for you. I loved my kindergarten class and honestly 3 weeks was NOT enough. I have travelled with a few different volunteer organizations, IVHQ is for sure the one I will go back too! I had a such a great experience as IVHQ provided a volunteer house with amazing kitchen staff, and coordinators that provided the support I needed along with an amazing orientation week. The online training before hand was well worth it and helped me get into the right mindset for what I was going to experience.

Sanyu

IVHQ Bali will change you.

I went into IVHQ looking for an organization that is reasonably costly for the volunteer to be able to actually give quality assistance to whatever is they want to support. It was my first time volunteering abroad and it had exceeded my expectations above and beyond. IVHQ is a very well organized volunteering website that gives accurate information, I had called in and spoken to the office on the phone many of times and the staff are professional and absolutely lovely. Volunteering at Green Lion Bali was life altering and the love of the staff there and many life lessons I learned there have all been thanks to IVHQ.

Thank you guys!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sanyu, Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to have you on the program and we really appreciate your feedback. I am glad that your trip exceeded your expectations! We hope to have you join IVHQ again sometime! ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Profile photo
Shurui

Bali-Ubud 11/2/18-24/2/18

This is my first volunteer trip, and it has been a perfect start. Before traveling, my IVHQ program manage responded to each of my email quickly and answered my questions, which made me feel much less nervous about traveling abroad. As soon as I arrived in Bali, the local team greeted me with hospitality.

Travelling as a volunteer is a great way to embrace the local culture. In the introduction week, we enjoyed a series of activities, including local dance, painting, cooking classes, visiting a famous Temple in beautiful Balinese clothing and so on. In the following week I taught in a local primary school. This provides me with a closer insight to the local culture and has triggered my careful thinking on region and way of life. IVHQ has made my trip to Bali unique, as I not only enjoyed the scenery, but felt like I was a part of the exotic Balinese culture as well.

My accommodation was in a village in the artistic town of Ubud. At dawn, a walk around the village is just one of the best ways to feel the culture and interact with local people. The villagers are friendly and sincere. One evening a friend and I even joined a dance practice with local ladies. In Tuesday and Thursday evenings, there are free shuttles to Ubud center, so we did a lot of shopping and drinking on these evenings. The accommodation provides traditional Balinese food. Also, I love the wide range of fruits (dragon fruits especially!). The homestay, including bedrooms, shower rooms and toilets are well-cleaned. The staff there are nice and helpful. Besides their duties, they helped a lot with my weekend trip plans.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thank you for your review Shurui, it is great to hear from you. I am pleased that we were able to ease your nerves and that you had such a great time in Bali embracing the culture. We really appreciate your time and we hope to see you back one day! ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Azizbek

Bali-Ubud

It was my first time volunteering abroad and it was astonishing. This program changed my life. I used to be pessimistic but after completing this program, I learned to be optimistic. I met wonderful people in Bali and learned from them something everyday. I wanted to stay longer with those beautiful people but due to financial issues I could not. First, they taught me to appreciate everything and everyone in my life. Every morning in streets of Ubud, I saw workaholic men who were struggling to earn some money to raise their children. They did not seem like that hate their jobs, they loved it. I remember my first day in Balinese middle school, i was shocked about the school's facilities. They were not equipped with high tech's but they managed to learn without any web interference. Thank you to IVHQ for making this program affordable for everyone out there.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Azizbek, Thank you for your review. It is very lovely reading this and seeing how moving the experience was for you. We appreciate your time and work that you put into the project and we hope to see you again one day! Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ. ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Peri

Bali-Ubud 12/22/2018-1/8/2018

During my winter break I decided I want to utilize my time off so I made the decision to volunteer for two weeks in Bali with Green Lion. Needless to say it was the best, life changing experience of my life. The project I was apart of was the Turtle Conservation Project and I got to stay in Ubud for a week and then on the island of Nusa Penida for the second week. The food was amazing and was honestly one of my favorite parts of the trip. Being a vegan while traveling can be extremely hard, however Green Lion made it so easy for me. The opportunities that Green Lion offered were amazing and all of the activities were so much fun. Because of IVHQ and Green Lion Bali I plan to volunteer again next May and I couldn't be more excited. I am forever thankful for this experience and I can't stress enough how much it has impacted me. It was definitely worth it, and I highly recommend it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Peri, thank you for your review it is great to hear from you! It sounded like you had a great time and I'm pleased it was such an amazing experience for you. I am glad to hear that you had great vegan options for your meals as we do our best to cater for vegans. We hope to have you join IVHQ on another program sometime! ^IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Bohan

Just like a dream

This is my first time volunteering aboard but leaves me a wonderful memory.

My friend and I began our journey in January. Since the warning of Mount Agung, we were a little bit terrified, thanks to our program manager and local coordinator who offered us the freshest information and clearest guide to erase our doubts.

The accommodation is clean and tidy, the food provided is acceptable, especially the fruits are fresh. The staff there are so sweet that they always provide any help you may need with no hesitation, including short trip recommendation on weekends. Miss them a lot.

The most adorable and amazing thing, for me, is not the the introduction week—although that week is really nice and thoughtful, but the second week. When we first met these little guys, perhaps because we were totally new faces in fronted of them so they kept tittering. I became nervous, honestly. At that moment I knew I shall win their trust in only one week. Fortunately I did it. In the following days, we organized them to learn a few simple English words through the game way and used our teaching tools we brought from our country, eg, sand painting, egg drawing. The local teachers appreciated these things a lot and gave me the address to ask for mailing them more later. On the last day, my cute kids each gave me a warm hug and some of them asked me to hold them high.

It’s just like a sweet dream, when I woke up, every detail still in my mind.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Bohan, thank you for the review! It is really great to hear how much you enjoyed the Kindergarten project. We really appreciate your time and energy that you put into working with these kids. It is awesome that it was such a memorable experience for you. We hope to see you again sometime! ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Victoria

Bali (Ubud)- Healthcare Education 2017

This was my first time volunteering abroad so I was quite nervous and did not know what to expect. After coming home from Bali, I am extremely thankful to IVHQ for giving me the opportunity to do this project and for their continuous support leading up to my trip to ensure that my travels would go smoothly. This was truly such a humbling and life changing experience that I will never forget! The moment I was greeted by the local organization in Bali and met the other volunteers, all my worries had faded away. It is amazing to see how quickly friendships and connections form between volunteers and the local people in such a short period of time.
There is something magical about Bali- I have to say that people in Bali are the most genuine, loyal and humble people that I have ever met. Everyone smiles here and it is contagious!

During the first week, the local program staff gave us an orientation of the Balinese culture. We visited a monkey forest, a holy water temple, a rice field, had a Batik painting class, went on a walking tour of Ubud with some free time to spend browsing through the markets, learned to cook some traditional Balinese food, saw a traditional Balinese dance (Kecak) and learned some basic Bahasa (language spoken in Bali). A great variety of activities and they were well organized and fun! Be prepared for lots of walking and moving around during this week :).
Thank-you to the kitchen staff, I have now developed a new love for tempeh and peanut sauce!

I came to Bali for the healthcare education project, hoping that a group of children would learn something new from me. In fact, they were the ones who had re-taught me the meaning of a very powerful gift: gratitude. It was remarkable to witness how excited and grateful these children were to receive basic stationery that I had given them for Christmas which we would think to be ordinary. I never would've thought that a group of children who I only got to know for a week would have such a big impact on me.

If you are thinking of volunteering abroad but have some hesitations, I would definitely just take the dive and follow your dreams and everything else will fall in place. Not only was I able to learn about the Balinese culture and people, I learned so much about myself during these two weeks. Trust me, it will be rewarding in the end that you won't regret it!

I felt that 1 week in my actual placement was too short! The only suggestion I would make is if the cultural orientation could be shortened to perhaps 3 days so more time could be spent on the project.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Victoria, Thank you for your brilliant in-depth review. You were a pleasure to work with and your time was very much appreciated. I am glad you had such an amazing experience. IVHQ would love to have you back! ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Victoria

Bali (Ubud)- Healthcare Education 2017

Emily

Bali 2017

I spent two weeks volunteering with the Green Lion Bali through IVHQ, and I will never forget my time there. Everyone was so welcoming and helpful, especially the staff, who were amazing. The organization of the project was really great as well--the first week is spent learning about the culture and customs of Bali and visiting various places in and around Ubud. This week really helped me get adjusted to Bali and understand more about the people and why the work I was doing was so important. For my volunteering week, I worked with a class of local kindergarteners, and they were so sweet! I absolutely loved every minute. The support I received from the staff and other volunteers made me feel confident and motivated the whole time I was there. I quickly made many friends, and we were able to have adventures around Bali together. After this trip, I am eager to travel and volunteer more in new and exciting places!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It's great to hear from you Emily, thank you for your great review! I am pleased to hear your experience will be one that you will never forget and that you made many friends on your trip. Amazing that you are keen to volunteer some more and IVHQ would love for you come on another journey with us! ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Sierra

Bali 2017

I just recently graduated High School, and this trip was not only the first time I’ve been out of America, but also the first time I’ve travelled alone. It was a big step for me, but IVHQ and the Green Lion team in Bali helped me through everything along the way. I could always come to them if there was a problem, and if you ever had any questions they were there to help. This created a safe and secure environment, which makes travelling alone a lot less scary the first time. During my volunteer time, I was able to explore a few different options. My main program was kindergarten and the kids I taught were amazing; they put so much effort in everyday to learn. As well, I was able to teach grade 5 for a week at the same time. Lastly, I tried my hand at renovating a school, as schools were closed for Galingan and Kunningan. During my 2 month stay I felt like I made an impact in the kids lives and the community because of this. At the same time, I was able to learn and grow myself, as I got to experience so much of the Balinese culture. Overall it was an amazing experience, and I would go again in a heartbeat.

It could be slightly more structured, to ensure that some volunteers aren’t skipping out on volunteering regularly.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sierra, it's awesome to hear from you and thank you for your review! We are so pleased that your first trip alone went so well and that you had such a worthwhile experience in Bali. We appreciate all your hard work and we would love to have you back again sometime. Thank you for your suggestion as well, we will take that on board. ^Brigitte - IVHQ Bali Program Coordinator

Valeria

12 weeks in Bali

I just graduated from high school and wanted to take a break before going to Univesity. I found out about IVHQ volunteering program and fell in love with the Bali project. I signed in for a 12 week program and chose 3 different programs; construction & renovation, kindergarten and turtle conservation. My favorite was construction. It's the kind of program where you get out of your comfort zone and actually get to see the result of your hard work. I couldn't be more gratefull for this amazing trip with long life lasting friends and life changing experiences.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Valeria, Thanks for sharing your amazing review! We are stoked that you found it a life changing experience and made lifelong friends. We have loved having you volunteer with us on the three different project and we would happily welcome you again in the future!

Mac Lim
Lim

Wonderful Bali

I have spent 4 weeks (22 Oct-18 Nov 2017) volunteering in Ubud, Bali with IVHQ in teaching program. This was my second time going abroad volunteering program with IVHQ. As expected the program, personnel and support services were excellent. It is such an awesome experience during orientation week and wonderful to observe Galungan and Kuningan celebration with friendly locals. Bali indeed is enchanted island with captivating religious and cultural activities. The school placement with energetic pupils and their eagerness to learn warmed my heart. Fond memories like these will make you become more aware of yourself and others and learn to appreciate differences between peoples all over the world. I look forward to get abroad again with IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lim, it was awesome to have your as a returning volunteer for IVHQ! We are so glad that our Bali program has created some special memories for you, your work was hugely appreciated from the kids. Thanks for the recommendation and we look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again!

Matthew

An amazing time

I was in Bali for 10 weeks and did 3 projects: construction, teaching and turtle conservation. It was great to work with and meet so many people from all over the world, and to meet local people too. I loved the island too, I had plenty of time to explore as I had all the weekends to go away. My best moment was releasing the turtles at Nusa Penida and hiking up Mount Batur to see the sunset. Would definitely recommend going for more than 2-3 weeks.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Matthew, Thanks for sharing! We are stoked to hear that you had a great time on the program and exploring Nusa Pendia! Thanks for the recommendation, was great to have you on board.

Rita

Amazing Experience!

This program is a great way to get involved with helping the Balinese community along with exploring the beautiful island of Bali. I loved our orientation week at the beginning because we got to do many activities that allowed us to learn about Balinese culture. We explored the village, saw a Balinese dance show, participated in a Balinese cooking class, etc. The orientation was especially helpful because it allowed us to also learn about the dos and don’ts in Bali and how to stay safe.
I first started out doing the turtle conservation program on Nusa Penida. That was absolutely incredible; we got to do a lot of hands-on work with the turtles such as feeding and cleaning them. We also participated in other activities such as beach clean ups. Being on the island was so chill and relaxing.
This program is also very flexible. Many volunteers who wish to change their placement can do so easily. I wanted to experience a variety of projects, so I did construction and renovation for my third week and kindergarten for my fourth. Participating in many of the projects was such a rewarding experience for me. There is a lot of free time to do things during the day in Ubud. The city is filled with fun things to do. The weekends are free as well, which gives us time to go on little trips and explore other cities with each other.
The coordinators for this program were amazing. They went out of their way to make sure we were safe and having a good time. They gave us good tips on fun things to do in Bali and also how to stay safe. When volunteers were sick, they were extremely caring and made them feel at home. I never once felt uncomfortable or unsafe during this entire trip. Overall, this experience was amazing and I strongly recommend it.

Maybe there could be a little more detailed information given out about each project, just so the volunteers know exactly what they are doing before they start. Some of the info was a little vague, but it wasn't a huge deal because everyone picked up quickly.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rita, thank you for your amazing review! We are so pleased that you found the experience rewarding. It's great to hear that you found the orientation really useful and our local team made you feel at home. Thank you for your time and being a great volunteer!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...