• Tanzania

Program Details

Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Guesthouse Host Family
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Senior Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

$270 USD
Fully hosted experience from only $270 for 1 week - this includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Mar 14, 2021
Aug 25, 2021

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in Tanzania and 50+ other destinations around the world.

If you thrive on authentic experiences, vibrant cultures and exciting adventures, then volunteering in Tanzania is for you. Choose from seven meaningful projects spanning 1 to 16 weeks, based within villages and urban communities in and around Arusha, or on the tropical island of Zanzibar.

Your fully-hosted experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in either a homestay or volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ offers a multi-layered support network, so even before you depart, you’ll receive outstanding service from your IVHQ Program Manager and gain exclusive access to volunteer training and preparation tools.

Are you ready to immerse yourself in a new culture while making a difference?

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Tanzania program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of each month.
  • Fully hosted volunteer experiences starting from only $270 for 1 week - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You'll be joining a global network of 113,000+ volunteers backed by the world’s leading team of volunteer travel experts - IVHQ’s outstanding safety systems and track record set them apart as the world’s safest organization
  • Support impact-driven volunteer projects run by locals within your host community
  • Flexible booking and free changes so you can register with confidence

IVHQ Scholarships

You can get your hands on a range of different International Volunteer HQ sponsorships throughout the year, with the money you win going directly towards the cost of one of their two-week programs. You'll also get a flight voucher in the value of up to $1,000 from STA Travel and travel insurance to cover the duration of the program from World Nomads. Recent grants have included an “Alternative Break” scholarship, where Spring, Summer or Winter break programs were fully funded.

$1,000 - $2,000

Popular Programs

IVHQ Zanzibar Turtle Conservation

Support a local Marine Turtle Sanctuary in Nungwi - a coastal village home to Zanzibar’s finest beaches. As a Turtle Conservation volunteer, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in helping boost wild turtle populations and assist with treating and releasing injured turtles.

IVHQ Zanzibar Rainforest and Coastal Conservation

Work within the local community to support the conservation of the Jozani Forest - the largest area of indigenous forest on the island of Zanzibar. You'll assist with environmental education efforts through various activities, including helping at a small reptile sanctuary, working at a farm co-op and assisting with mangrove tree planting.

Volunteer with children in Tanzania with IVHQ

Do you love working with children and want to provide invaluable support within childcare centers across Tanzania? Work alongside local caregivers as a Childcare Volunteer, creating fun and educational environments to support the development of local children.

Medical Volunteering with IVHQ

Enhance your global perspective of medicine by shadowing and assisting medical professionals in clinics and hospitals around Arusha. This project is open to students in at least their third year of medical or nursing school, or fully qualified professionals. Paramedics, EMTs and CNAs are also welcome.

Teach children in Tanzania with IVHQ

Collaborate with local teachers in Tanzania and lead classes of up to 80 students across a wide range of subjects. This is an opportunity to play a hands-on role in delivering more focused education to students within schools of limited resources.

Volunteer with women in Tanzania with IVHQ

Support with the education of local Tanzanian women who come from challenging backgrounds, giving them a chance to upskill and earn a sustainable income.

Volunteer with animals with IVHQ

Volunteer alongside a local vet in Tanzania, delivering mobile care to farm and domestic animals around Arusha. This project is perfect for all volunteers who love working with animals and have a passion for animal welfare.

• 9-10 rating 95.08%
  • 7-8 rating 4.92%
Eden

My Experience with IVHQ 5 Weeks Tanzania

Jambo, I'm Eden! In July 2021, I volunteered through IVHQ for 5 weeks in Arusha, Tanzania and it was the experience of a lifetime! From the moment I landed in Tanzania, I had amazing support from the local staff and the flexibility to make my experience the best that it could possibly be. Hope, the in-country volunteer coordinator was very attentive to my and all the other volunteers' needs, and offered all the support that we could ever need. IVHQ has so much to offer in Tanzania. I was housed with incredible people from all over the world, each who were put at a volunteer placement that was just right for them. On the weekends, there were numerous activities and excursions that I could sign up for, which allowed me to be even more immersed in the culture of Tanzania. From going on safari, to playing with the kids at my school, to climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, everything about this program and this country is amazing! If you are considering volunteering in Tanzania, I would 100% recommended IVHQ!!

Be open to brand new situations and dealing with the craziness that is Tanzania. The country isn't perfect, and you will find yourself in situations that may test your patience and comfort zone, but it is so worth the lessons that you learn along the way.
Maria

IVHQ

My days at Tanzania where probably the best days of my life, I didn’t know I could learn that much in so little time. I was in childcare and teaching program and I learned more about the kids than they did from me, I realize how simple is to be happy and how important is to spread love, and just be happy. I was completely present in my 5 weeks in Tanzania, and I enjoyed everything. I will never forget the kids at my placement they are very special to me, the friendships I made the memories, and everything was incredible, I am looking forward to do another volunteer program with IVQH!!.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I climed de Kilimanjaro, it was the best experience ever.
Karina

IVHQ medical program in Tanzania

I volunteered with IVHQ Tanzania in the medical project. It was such an amazing and unforgettable experience! I learned a lot not only in the medical field but also as a person. I returned home with so many beautiful memories and the people I met will always have a place in my heart.
I would recommend this program with IVHQ to everyone who is longing for adventure and new cultures. You definitely won’t regret it.
The volunteer organization (IVHQ) made sure to make you feel safe all the time, and also to integrate you right in the culture.

What was your funniest moment?
I was doing a safari in the Serengueti Park with my friends, and in the night some hienas stole the chocolate and beers we left outside the tent. It was so funny! And kind of scary at the same time.
Emma

10/10 Experience in Tanzania

I volunteered in Arusha, Tanzania for 6 weeks, in the Childcare program. I felt so welcomed, and the staff immediately felt like family. The cooks were so lovely, and always cared for my dietary restrictions (I have celiac disease). I slept in a room with a bunch of bunk beds, but we were all girls and we quickly became friends and super comfortable with one another; it feels like a sleepover every night. I fell in love with the kids at my placement, and helped support the best way I could. Tanzania is also so beautiful, and there are tons of fun weekend trips to take, a bit overpriced in my opinion, but regardless amazing. Definitely recommend xx

Keep an open mind, always. It’s not like home, like the lifestyle that we are used to, but they work so hard to always make sure it is close to it. Try all the foods and have fun!
Hannah

IVHQ Tanzania

I volunteered in Tanzania for 3 months in the teaching program and had the best ever time! I met some incredible people and learnt so much. I went on my gap year and taught a class of 7-8 year olds at an English medium primary school. This was located just out of Arusha. The kids and staff were so cool and it was incredible to teach them for that time. I wish I could have stayed for longer! When you weren't teaching there was plenty of opportunity to explore the surrounding areas and do things such as go on safari etc. Also great nightlife if you like a good dance party! Would highly recommend to anybody :)

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Goat intestines on a stick - (Street food) It wasn't as bad as it sounds haha!
Madeline

IVHQ Childcare in Tanzania

I was very nervous about traveling to Africa alone, but from the moment I arrived I felt supported by the local staff and people. I never felt unsafe or alone. Tanzania is a beautiful country with beautiful people and I am so fortunate to have been let into the community and to have been able to have the experience I did. I went to Africa with an open mind and with some ideas about how to sustainably support teachers and the children. I ended up learning so much more than I taught. Thank you Tanzania!

The lifestyle in Africa is very laid back and sometimes that can leave the staff and program a bit disorganized, but they will always accommodate your needs.
Montserrat

AMAZING EXPERIENCE

What can I say about my volunteering? One of the best experiences I have ever lived, and I have to say that my experience did not begin the day I arrived to Tanzania, but much earlier when I created my IVHQ account and began to investigate what I could do and where. From that day on, the desire to give myself to other began to grow, and with them, the thrill of going to the continent I had always dreamed of: Africa. I have to say that this dream probably wouldn't have been fulfilled if it hadn't been for the excellent service and help of IVHQ, how complete its website is, the reasonable prices, the help of the staff, it all added to make it easy and exciting to prepare this trip, instead of encountering obstacles at every step that would have resulted in the decrease of my motivation that would have ended up in leaving this crazy idea aside. Once in Arusha everything was amazing, the support of the coordinators for every new thing you faced, the placements´ organization, the school I was helping at, everything was taken care of to make it the best of the best. The house where you live is super well placed, the “mamas” cook delicious and varied, everything is clean and the environment of volunteers…wow! Now I have friends all over the world: Greece, Scotland, England, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Peru, Colombia...I can say that I built a family, my “Simba Family”, that I will never forget for the fun, the support and lessons they gave me. My students, so much to learn from them: the simplicity to play with anything, the joy to laugh at anything, the commitment to learn; It was a challenge to teach English to children who barely know their language because of their age, but I am sure the little help I could give will make a big change in their lives. Thank you IVHQ, thank you TVE.

Giving more information about the touristic part so you can organize your visit and expenses better
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Montserrat, Thanks for your review of the Tanzania program. Your contribution to the Childcare project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Kaila - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

jessie

Animal welfare program- Tanzania

The Animal Welfare program in Tanzania is amazing! The hands on work and experience with the local veterinarian was priceless! 12 Weeks was almost not long enough! IVHQ volunteers come from all over the world so I met so many people around the world which was such an added bonus! The hostel that I stayed at was amazing! I loved the vibe that everyone gave off and there are so many areas to hang out and talk. The power only cut out 5 times a month which is pretty good considering it is africa. The beds are so comfy and the showers are always hot! The food was amazing and the avocados and pineapple was always so fresh! I always felt very safe while in the country. I loved that i was picked up at the airport so as soon as I was in country i was safe. I will forever hold my experience with IVHQ close to my heart!

What was your funniest moment?
Walking in the pouring rain for almost 45 minutes with all my friends coming back from the coffee lodge on our way back to the hostel.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Jessie! So true, even 12 weeks doesn't feel long enough! I'm so happy to hear that you had a fantastic time in Tanzania. ^Kaila - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager