Affordable Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

Twiga house
Twiga house
Stickers
Stickers
Some of the neighborhood kids near the school.
Some of the neighborhood kids near the school.
The classroom I built
The classroom I built
Some of the students from the class at which I taught.
Some of the students from the class at which I taught.
Myself and Mama Happy celebrating a successful market day
Myself and Mama Happy celebrating a successful market day
On our last session for the year, Anna sat outside and read her bible
On our last session for the year, Anna sat outside and read her bible

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Tanzania? Join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, in Africa.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options based within villages and urban communities in and around Arusha. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in either a volunteer house or homestay, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Tanzania, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you thrive on authentic experiences, a vibrant culture, an abundance of opportunities to grow, exciting adventures and real connections, then volunteering in Tanzania is for you.

• IVHQ’s Tanzania program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of each month.
  • Highly affordable fees from $270 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll be joining between 30 and 60 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Tanzania each month.
  • Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization and you’ll have 24/7 in-country support.
  • Your volunteer efforts in Tanzania will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs, while your weekends are free to explore Tanzania with fellow volunteers.

So for me to get from Calgary, Alberta, Canada to the Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania, it cost about $2800 Canadian dollars through KLM.
Unfortunately according to their website, you cannot volunteer if you are under 18. The only exception is if you go volunteer with a guardian. Here's the link for more questions: https://www.volunteerhq.org/faq#114

Montserrat

AMAZING EXPERIENCE

What can I say about my volunteering? One of the best experiences I have ever lived, and I have to say that my experience did not begin the day I arrived to Tanzania, but much earlier when I created my IVHQ account and began to investigate what I could do and where. From that day on, the desire to give myself to other began to grow, and with them, the thrill of going to the continent I had always dreamed of: Africa. I have to say that this dream probably wouldn't have been fulfilled if it hadn't been for the excellent service and help of IVHQ, how complete its website is, the reasonable prices, the help of the staff, it all added to make it easy and exciting to prepare this trip, instead of encountering obstacles at every step that would have resulted in the decrease of my motivation that would have ended up in leaving this crazy idea aside. Once in Arusha everything was amazing, the support of the coordinators for every new thing you faced, the placements´ organization, the school I was helping at, everything was taken care of to make it the best of the best. The house where you live is super well placed, the “mamas” cook delicious and varied, everything is clean and the environment of volunteers…wow! Now I have friends all over the world: Greece, Scotland, England, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Peru, Colombia...I can say that I built a family, my “Simba Family”, that I will never forget for the fun, the support and lessons they gave me. My students, so much to learn from them: the simplicity to play with anything, the joy to laugh at anything, the commitment to learn; It was a challenge to teach English to children who barely know their language because of their age, but I am sure the little help I could give will make a big change in their lives. Thank you IVHQ, thank you TVE.

Giving more information about the touristic part so you can organize your visit and expenses better
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Montserrat, Thanks for your review of the Tanzania program. Your contribution to the Childcare project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Kaila - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

jessie

Animal welfare program- Tanzania

The Animal Welfare program in Tanzania is amazing! The hands on work and experience with the local veterinarian was priceless! 12 Weeks was almost not long enough! IVHQ volunteers come from all over the world so I met so many people around the world which was such an added bonus! The hostel that I stayed at was amazing! I loved the vibe that everyone gave off and there are so many areas to hang out and talk. The power only cut out 5 times a month which is pretty good considering it is africa. The beds are so comfy and the showers are always hot! The food was amazing and the avocados and pineapple was always so fresh! I always felt very safe while in the country. I loved that i was picked up at the airport so as soon as I was in country i was safe. I will forever hold my experience with IVHQ close to my heart!

What was your funniest moment?
Walking in the pouring rain for almost 45 minutes with all my friends coming back from the coffee lodge on our way back to the hostel.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Jessie! So true, even 12 weeks doesn't feel long enough! I'm so happy to hear that you had a fantastic time in Tanzania. ^Kaila - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Larissa

Volunteer Trip to Tanzania

I loved this trip! It took a few days once I landed to get into the groove of things, but once I did, it was an amazing experience. Definitely nothing like it is at home in Canada, but that made it a lot of fun. It was awesome to have a very hands on experience where I could directly interact and help the Tanzanian people. I also love how we were immersed into the culture and ways of life of the Tanzanians by taking the dala dala to placement and walking around the markets. It was great getting to meet other volunteers from all over the world who shared different backgrounds, but who all had the same desire to help the people we were volunteering with. Overall it was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again if I got the chance.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When I landed in Tanzania by myself I was scared as I didn’t know fully what I was getting into. You read about the experience before you leave, but it’s so hard to get s concrete idea of what it will really be like. It scared me when I exited the airport and walked into a pitch black parking lot trying to locate which person standing there was from IVHQ. I didn’t feel unsafe, but it definitely wasn’t the same as home.
Charlotte

Changed my life

Volunteering in Tanzania was my first real experience travelling for long term and it was unforgettable. I spent one month in Arusha from June to July (high season) and worked at a school/daycare. While I signed up for childcare, I ended up teaching and met such incredible children and local teachers!

Going in, I had some qualms about volunteering abroad, but IVHQ (at least with this program) seemed great at working with and involving locals instead of just planting themselves in another country. Their are over 50 Tanzanians employed by IVHQ's Tanzanian partner TVE and you get to work closely with many of the coordinators. They'll show you how to get the best prices, teach you how to get to placement, or even just bring you to market to get your dress tailored by a woman they know! Having these local connections right-off-the-bat really helped with getting involved and immersed.

The amenities provided were also stellar. I went during high season, so there were a lot of people in the house, but the house itself was great! My room, which I shared with 6 people had a full bathroom (including a shower with hot water) as well as a common room and porch for the many volunteers to hang out in.

The social life (beyond working at placement, which was the crux of the experience), was probably the best part of the whole time! I made unforgettable friends, and we got to go to incredible places. The hotsprings in Moshi, Safari in the Serengeti, and more every-day trips into the square or market were all quite the adventures. Transportation is cheap and easy, with a dala-dala ride costing only 500 TZN (about $0.20 us) or the more luxurious indriver (basically Tanzania's uber) being an easy and safe way to travel when the daladala can't provide.
All-in-all, the country was incredible, and my experience with IVHQ was an important part about it. While there were some flaws in communication, the country itself is incredible with kind and open-hearted people.

The one thing I think the program could improve upon is cost for excursion trips and communication BEFORE volunteers arrive in-country. While the communication is great, information about what the programs need that may not be able to be bought in Tanzania would have been helpful. As I was leaving, volunteers and coordinators were working on a google-docs-esqe program to help with this, so it may now be a non-issue.
Tonja

Glad I Volunteered through IVHQ

I am glad that I volunteered through International Volunteer HQ. Although I only volunteered in Tanzania for one week, I truly enjoyed my experience at my placement. IVHQ partners with organizations around the world and provide several opportunities no matter your age, career experience, and interests.

After applying as a HIV Support Worker in Tanzania, I received a timely response from the IVHQ Program Manager. I also was able to speak directly with the Program Manager in my placement country. They both responded to my emails, answered my questions, provided step-by-step directions of what I needed to complete on my end, and made me feel like my service mattered.

There was so much to do at my placement, and the partner organization Tanzania Volunteer Experience, also had excursion activities (which you will have to pay for) for volunteers to do outside of volunteer hours.

I recommend IVHQ and will volunteer through them again in the future.

You should make sure that you go with an open mind and heart.
Stefanie

Living and working in Tanzania with IVHQ

I was in Tanzania for 8 weeks with IVHQ and I had the best time of my life. I worked 6 weeks in the childcare program where I teached 2-3 years old children and played with them. In my last two weeks I worked in an HIV program (lifted strong). It was incredible. Thanks to IVHQ I could actually help all this amazing people and I've learned so much about them and their culture. I learned to love the african music, the locals, the nature and the culture. IVHQ made my time in Tanzania to the best time of my life and I can't wait to join another trip with IVHQ. IVHQ helped me with every single problem I had and it didn't even matter if it was before I got therw, while I was travelling to Tanzania or if it was while I was there. I always felt safe and protected but we were also free to do whatever we wanted as long as it didn't had a bad impact on our work. And I'm thankful for that!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I did so many incredible things and went out of my comfort zone so many times that I can't even tell you. I think the most surprising thing for me was how close I got to know the culture and how fadt I fell in love with it.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Stefanie - I'm so happy you enjoyed your time in Tanzania, and it's awesome that in addition to your Childcare project you also got to assist on the HIV/AIDS Support project! It definitely sounds like you had an awesome cultural immersion experience and I can assure you that your contribution to the program was of incredible value. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again soon! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager

Samantha

Tanzania ChildCare Program

Best experience ever! You get to know people from all around the world, go on weekend trips to see the incredible country, but the most important, you get to connect with the locals from Arusha. The people are amazing, so friendly, kind, and generous. They give everything to you even if they don't have much. They appreciate a lot the help of volunteers. Kids are so energetic and fun, they want to be around volunteers all the time and hold hands. People want to learn about other countries, for you to share things that work in your country in education for them to improve the system in the best way they can. It’s a one of a kind experience. I recommend it 100%, you won’t regret it. You’ll finish with friends for life and with memories you’ll never forget.

Be with an open mind and heart! First weeks can be hard, because you need to adapt to the whole environment. But take advantage of the situation and that you are out of your comfort zone to make a lot of friends and help the most that you can.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha - I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time in Tanzania! It's awesome to hear you were able to connect with the local community and also participate on some exciting activities in your spare time. I love to hear when volunteers feel they've made friends for life, as it's one of the most rewarding aspects of the volunteer experience, outside of the placement work. We appreciate your dedication and efforts and hope to see you again in the future! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager.

Yasi

Incredible Experience

This is the first time to be volunteer in Africa. It’s definitely an incredible and unforgettable experience in my life!! I still can’t image the first moment I’ve just arrived in airport. Fresh air and grateful weather. My school is amazing, the director and the other teachers are so friendly and welcome to us. It’s a great honour to be the first volunteer in this new school and I’ m so appreciate that! The kids are sooooo adorable. Still can remember the first day, there were two boys held my hand, never let me go. That’ fulfilled my heart!! We played the game, sang the songs and had fun together! I love the kids who always smile everyday. The last day we had a party, we made the balloons, are the cookies and candies. ASANTA SANA, NAKUPANDA TANZANIA!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I did the home visits. There are five people live in a tiny house, and they don’t have much foods and water, however they still smile everyday!! They’ve so appreciate what they have right now. That’s what I’m surprised even if you’re suffering in life, but you still have a kind heart to inclusive world!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yasi - thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed you time in Tanzania! It's awesome to hear your experience in the new school was a positive one, and I'm certain your hard work and dedication was appreciated by the students and faculty. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again soon! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager.

Roy

Lovely volunteering in Arusha, Tanzania.

I am Roy from Costa Rica. My volunteering in Tanzania is one of the best experience in my life. I left my country full of fears but once I get Tanzania the TVE made me feel like home. During the project with HIV program, I discovered that I am so fortunate of what I have and how I am in my country and that tought me to say thanks everyday. The experience of living in Tanzania gave me the opportunity to reach my dream about being in Africa and now I can say that I really lived the best spirit of Africa, walking their particular streets, eating amazing street food, doing a Safari in Serengeti and receiving the best of this lovely people. If I would have the opportunity to repeat this experience again, I wouldn't think it twice, for sure. I am close to go back home, but the person that left the country is not the same that is coming back, having in my heart lots of fun, lovely moments, more than 1000 photos and thousands of stories to share with family and friends. Thanks IVHQ for joining to the trip of my life.

Don't think it twice. If you decide to take this program, for sure you will feel comfortable, safe and have lots of fun.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Roy - it's so awesome to read about your experience in Tanzania, and I'm so thrilled your fears pre-departure disappeared when you arrived! It's awesome that you felt supported by our local team and that you got to experience such an authentic cultural immersion experience. Your contribution to your placement was so well received and you've certainly left a lasting impression on our team and those you worked with. We hope to see you again soon! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager.

Emily

Teaching in Tanzania

After many years of longing to do a volunteer trip in Africa I finally followed through, made it happen and couldn't be happier! IVHQ was the stepping stone I needed to make my dream come true. Starting with their user friendly website I was able to easily find all the answers I needed and figure out which trip was right for me. From the moment I applied IVHQ provided me with all the necessary information and walked me through the steps leading up to my departure making the process as simple as possible!

After missing my original flight the IVHQ team was awesome in helping me reorganize airport pick up upon arrival!

Everything in Tanzania was amazing from my volunteer program teaching english to the accommodations and all of the onsite staff. I had the most amazing experience getting to the local neighbourhoods day to day and exploring further out of town during weekends! By the time my program was over I had settled in and felt so safe and comfortable that I wanted to extend my trip!

I can't wait to start planning my next adventure with IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your awesome review Emily - I'm glad to hear that you were happy with the overall experience IVHQ provided. Tanzania is an amazing place and I'm super stoked that you got to experience this first hand. I look forward to you embarking on your next adventure with IVHQ! Will - IVHQ Program Manager.

Isaure
Isaure

Soul connecting Journey

I can not write in words the truly soul connecting trip I took with my 16 year old son being a volunteer in Tanzania through IVHQ program! We were met by a hard and passionate group of organizers and housed in a host mother who loved and cared for us like no others!

The orphanage we worked welcomed us with humble open arms! We gave our very best of ourselves from teaching and supporting a single teacher juggling several school levels children ... to repainting out of our own free will their school/home yard walls and kitchen in sunny bright colors with the support of other volunteers!

There was so much to visit and see outside of work that our culture and experience was filled with memorable adventure from Safari to hunting for monkeys with the oldest tribe and spending 3 days on Zanzibar Island! Every activities was well organized by IVHQ and all with beneficial massive discounts!
There were volunteers from around the world which we connected with both in social time, tourism and work! The Tanzanian made us feel safe and welcomed!

Our most mother Mama Liz was extraordinary and served us delicious home cooked meals giving us a very clean and organized home environment where we felt right at home!

We highly recommend this experience and IVHQ for making this trip a lifetime memory of love, connection, and growth in being part of people's dream to make this world a better place!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Isaure - It's awesome to hear that you and Thibault enjoyed your time on the program. Tanzania is an amazing place and I'm glad you got to experience it together. We would love to have you both join us again in the future. Will - IVHQ Program Manager.

Read my full story
Taylor

3 weeks in Tanzania- incredible experience

I spent three weeks volunteering in Tanzania at Imara, a non-profit foundation that supports anyone affected by HIV and AIDS. The trip will be something I cherish for the rest of my life. I traveled by myself which wasn't difficult for me at all thanks to the help and communication from IVHQ. If I had any questions during my trip, there was always someone to help me. The people I met at my volunteer house will be people I keep in contact with for many years because we had such an amazing time together. I am continuing to help out my foundation all the way from home back in New York after creating a GoFundMe page for Imara so that I can send them donations for small things that they desperately need and cannot afford.

IVHQ was a great value for the money. I do suggest booking flights on your own. I was able to be placed in a volunteer house that was safe, and provided meals, water, showers and beds. If I needed to get around the town, I was able to either use the local transportation or pay to have a volunteer driver which was nice to have for nighttime activities. I would definitely book a volunteering trip through IVHQ again in the future.

I wish I had known ahead of time what types of things my foundation needed. My placement had un-useable dry erase board markers and needed paper and pens- I would have brought these items from home if I would have known!!!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Taylor - It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your time on the program and that you're continuing to support your placement from New York and staying in touch with other volunteers from the program :) We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ again in the near future :) Will - IVHQ Program Manager.

Lea

Tanzanian's Most Incredible Experience

I have had the chance to go volunteering with the IVHQ association in Tanzania for 3 weeks. I went as a Childcare Volunteer, by myself, and ended up having one of the most intense and life-changing experiences of my life. IVHQ works with a local volunteering program called TVE, which managed to find great placements for us all, no matter the field we chose to volunteer in (school, hospital, vet centres...). The volunteer houses are really well organised, with great cooking provided by the local mamas. I also enjoyed "living like a Tanzanian" for 3 weeks, having the freedom to move around the cities, by Dala Dalas and feeling safe thanks to the guidelines provided by TVE at orientation.
Plus, if you have time, TVE also organises plenty of activities during the weekends such as hikes, safaris, and 2-day trips outside of Arusha, if you want to diversify your journey! Did the Safari and the waterfall hike, Loved it!

I built two incredible families: the very bright and curious kids from Majengo Childcare Centre, always eager to learn ; and the crazy friends I made from all around the world in Simba House.

All those reasons show why I would definitely recommend this experience.

I went during winter and was underprepared for the cold.
Would emphasise more on what clothes to bring, not only on what is culturally appropriate but also regarding the weather.
Read my full story
Rachel

Just incredible

I can’t rate this experience highly enough. The country is fantastic, the in country team “Tanzania volunteer experience” are fantastic, the people I met where fantastic, the food was fantastic.
The support you get from the in country team was above and beyond what I expected, I travelled as a solo female and although it’s not the first time I always feel a bit anxious as to how the experience will be. I think when you spend so much time and money you don’t want to be disappointed - you won’t be! The whole team are always a whatsapp away if you need them, even if it’s a really stupid question, but they’re not constantly there fussing over you so you get the authentic experience of living and volunteering in the country without being shepherded to every place like a total tourist.
There was an abundance of activities to do after placement or at the weekend. We got a large group together and did the Ndoro waterfalls, moshi and the hot springs and then two weeks later we set off to attempt to climb Kilimanjaro. Then in the week we got the dala dala out to visit a couple of orphanages. The placements aren’t set in stone so if you have problems you can change and the staff genuinely want you to get the best out of your experience.
IVHQ were always an email away in the run up to the trip to answer questions and help me get excited. My placement and pickup details were a bit late coming through (about a week before I left) but other than that I have nothing to complain about and every reason to shout from the rooftops that THIS WAS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE! And if that doesn’t convince you I had a good time, I’m already planning another trip back!

I genuinely found no faults
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rachel, Thanks so much for your glowing review of the Tanzania program. It's awesome to hear that you had an amazing experience and are planning your next volunteer trip already. Tanzania is magical and I agree that the staff make the program 10 times better :) Thanks again for sharing your experience with others and I'm sure will see you back in Tanzania in no time! ^Will - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Rebecca

Amazing experience

Like any first time volunteer I was nervous booking a trip like this through a company I found online, I was nervous walking out the airport but as soon as I met Johana and Gertrude at the airport my fears washed away they were so welcoming and kind. It didnt take long for me to feel at home in Tanzania, The staff are so supportive and helpful through everything. My bags went missing and when it arrived I had some issues at the airport with medical supplies I had brought Will emailed me to make sure I was ok the staff were so kind. The mamas are the best! you will not go hungry and you won't be disappointed. I went with no expectations and everything blew me away, I did my placement at levelosi hospital and I love it. no day is the same but you will learn so much . I have been a nurse now for 6 years and work in the operating room and I tell ya, I learned so much there! the experience was such an amazing one, I was so happy i ended up extending my trip and staying an extra week. I am so thankful I found IVHQ and i look back to returning again this summer for two more months

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rebecca - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on the program and that you felt supported by our local team throughout your time in Tanzania! It's so awesome that you were able to learn so much from your placement, and I want to thank you for your valuable contribution. I wish you all the best! ^Will - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Location:
81 F / 50 F
Airports:
Arusha Airport
( ARK )

Arusha, a city in Tanzania, is nestled between Mount Kilimanjaro and Serengeti National Park among other reserves filled with wildlife.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...