Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure in Tanzania? Join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization in Africa.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options based within villages and urban communities in and around Arusha. Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in either a volunteer house or homestay, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Tanzania, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you thrive on authentic experiences, a vibrant culture, an abundance of opportunities to grow, exciting adventures and real connections, then volunteering in Tanzania is for you.

• IVHQ’s Tanzania program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of each month.
  • Highly affordable fees from $270 for 1 week - including airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
  • You’ll be joining between 30 and 60 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Tanzania each month.
  • Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization and you’ll have 24/7 in-country support.
  • Your volunteer efforts in Tanzania will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs, while your weekends are free to explore Tanzania with fellow volunteers.

Book With Confidence: Added Flexibility & Free Changes

IVHQ makes it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind. As long as you cancel or reschedule at least 15 days before your program start date this year, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination.

Popular Programs

Tanzania Childcare Volunteer Project with IVHQ

Do you love working with children and want to provide invaluable support within childcare centers and kindergartens in Tanzania? Play an important role in working alongside local caregivers, helping create fun and educational activities to keep the children engaged in learning through play.

Tanzania Medical Volunteer Project with IVHQ

Enhance your global perspective of medicine by shadowing and assisting medical professionals in clinics and hospitals around Arusha. This project is open to students in at least their third year of medical or nursing school, or fully qualified professionals. Paramedics, EMTs and CNAs are also welcome.

Tanzania Teaching Volunteer Project with IVHQ

Collaborate with local teachers in Tanzania and have the opportunity to lead classes of up to 80 students across a wide range of subjects. This is your chance to play. a hands-on role in delivering more focused education to students within schools of limited resources.

Tanzania Women's Education Volunteer Project with IVHQ

Play an important role in helping to educate local Tanzanian women who come from challenging backgrounds, giving them a chance to upskill and earn a sustainable income.

Tanzania Animal Welfare Volunteer Project with IVHQ

Volunteer alongside a local vet in Tanzania, delivering mobile care to farm and domestic animals around Arusha. This project is perfect for all volunteers who love working with animals and have a passion for animal welfare.

So for me to get from Calgary, Alberta, Canada to the Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania, it cost about $2800 Canadian dollars through KLM.

Unfortunately according to their website, you cannot volunteer if you are under 18. The only exception is if you go volunteer with a guardian. Here's the link for more questions: https://www.volunteerhq.org/faq#114

Hannah

IVHQ Tanzania

I volunteered in Tanzania for 3 months in the teaching program and had the best ever time! I met some incredible people and learnt so much. I went on my gap year and taught a class of 7-8 year olds at an English medium primary school. This was located just out of Arusha. The kids and staff were so cool and it was incredible to teach them for that time. I wish I could have stayed for longer! When you weren't teaching there was plenty of opportunity to explore the surrounding areas and do things such as go on safari etc. Also great nightlife if you like a good dance party! Would highly recommend to anybody :)

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Goat intestines on a stick - (Street food) It wasn't as bad as it sounds haha!
Madeline

IVHQ Childcare in Tanzania

I was very nervous about traveling to Africa alone, but from the moment I arrived I felt supported by the local staff and people. I never felt unsafe or alone. Tanzania is a beautiful country with beautiful people and I am so fortunate to have been let into the community and to have been able to have the experience I did. I went to Africa with an open mind and with some ideas about how to sustainably support teachers and the children. I ended up learning so much more than I taught. Thank you Tanzania!

The lifestyle in Africa is very laid back and sometimes that can leave the staff and program a bit disorganized, but they will always accommodate your needs.
Montserrat

AMAZING EXPERIENCE

What can I say about my volunteering? One of the best experiences I have ever lived, and I have to say that my experience did not begin the day I arrived to Tanzania, but much earlier when I created my IVHQ account and began to investigate what I could do and where. From that day on, the desire to give myself to other began to grow, and with them, the thrill of going to the continent I had always dreamed of: Africa. I have to say that this dream probably wouldn't have been fulfilled if it hadn't been for the excellent service and help of IVHQ, how complete its website is, the reasonable prices, the help of the staff, it all added to make it easy and exciting to prepare this trip, instead of encountering obstacles at every step that would have resulted in the decrease of my motivation that would have ended up in leaving this crazy idea aside. Once in Arusha everything was amazing, the support of the coordinators for every new thing you faced, the placements´ organization, the school I was helping at, everything was taken care of to make it the best of the best. The house where you live is super well placed, the “mamas” cook delicious and varied, everything is clean and the environment of volunteers…wow! Now I have friends all over the world: Greece, Scotland, England, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Peru, Colombia...I can say that I built a family, my “Simba Family”, that I will never forget for the fun, the support and lessons they gave me. My students, so much to learn from them: the simplicity to play with anything, the joy to laugh at anything, the commitment to learn; It was a challenge to teach English to children who barely know their language because of their age, but I am sure the little help I could give will make a big change in their lives. Thank you IVHQ, thank you TVE.

Giving more information about the touristic part so you can organize your visit and expenses better
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Montserrat, Thanks for your review of the Tanzania program. Your contribution to the Childcare project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Kaila - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

jessie

Animal welfare program- Tanzania

The Animal Welfare program in Tanzania is amazing! The hands on work and experience with the local veterinarian was priceless! 12 Weeks was almost not long enough! IVHQ volunteers come from all over the world so I met so many people around the world which was such an added bonus! The hostel that I stayed at was amazing! I loved the vibe that everyone gave off and there are so many areas to hang out and talk. The power only cut out 5 times a month which is pretty good considering it is africa. The beds are so comfy and the showers are always hot! The food was amazing and the avocados and pineapple was always so fresh! I always felt very safe while in the country. I loved that i was picked up at the airport so as soon as I was in country i was safe. I will forever hold my experience with IVHQ close to my heart!

What was your funniest moment?
Walking in the pouring rain for almost 45 minutes with all my friends coming back from the coffee lodge on our way back to the hostel.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Jessie! So true, even 12 weeks doesn't feel long enough! I'm so happy to hear that you had a fantastic time in Tanzania. ^Kaila - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Larissa

Volunteer Trip to Tanzania

I loved this trip! It took a few days once I landed to get into the groove of things, but once I did, it was an amazing experience. Definitely nothing like it is at home in Canada, but that made it a lot of fun. It was awesome to have a very hands on experience where I could directly interact and help the Tanzanian people. I also love how we were immersed into the culture and ways of life of the Tanzanians by taking the dala dala to placement and walking around the markets. It was great getting to meet other volunteers from all over the world who shared different backgrounds, but who all had the same desire to help the people we were volunteering with. Overall it was a wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again if I got the chance.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When I landed in Tanzania by myself I was scared as I didn’t know fully what I was getting into. You read about the experience before you leave, but it’s so hard to get s concrete idea of what it will really be like. It scared me when I exited the airport and walked into a pitch black parking lot trying to locate which person standing there was from IVHQ. I didn’t feel unsafe, but it definitely wasn’t the same as home.
Charlotte

Changed my life

Volunteering in Tanzania was my first real experience travelling for long term and it was unforgettable. I spent one month in Arusha from June to July (high season) and worked at a school/daycare. While I signed up for childcare, I ended up teaching and met such incredible children and local teachers!

Going in, I had some qualms about volunteering abroad, but IVHQ (at least with this program) seemed great at working with and involving locals instead of just planting themselves in another country. Their are over 50 Tanzanians employed by IVHQ's Tanzanian partner TVE and you get to work closely with many of the coordinators. They'll show you how to get the best prices, teach you how to get to placement, or even just bring you to market to get your dress tailored by a woman they know! Having these local connections right-off-the-bat really helped with getting involved and immersed.

The amenities provided were also stellar. I went during high season, so there were a lot of people in the house, but the house itself was great! My room, which I shared with 6 people had a full bathroom (including a shower with hot water) as well as a common room and porch for the many volunteers to hang out in.

The social life (beyond working at placement, which was the crux of the experience), was probably the best part of the whole time! I made unforgettable friends, and we got to go to incredible places. The hotsprings in Moshi, Safari in the Serengeti, and more every-day trips into the square or market were all quite the adventures. Transportation is cheap and easy, with a dala-dala ride costing only 500 TZN (about $0.20 us) or the more luxurious indriver (basically Tanzania's uber) being an easy and safe way to travel when the daladala can't provide.
All-in-all, the country was incredible, and my experience with IVHQ was an important part about it. While there were some flaws in communication, the country itself is incredible with kind and open-hearted people.

The one thing I think the program could improve upon is cost for excursion trips and communication BEFORE volunteers arrive in-country. While the communication is great, information about what the programs need that may not be able to be bought in Tanzania would have been helpful. As I was leaving, volunteers and coordinators were working on a google-docs-esqe program to help with this, so it may now be a non-issue.
Tonja

Glad I Volunteered through IVHQ

I am glad that I volunteered through International Volunteer HQ. Although I only volunteered in Tanzania for one week, I truly enjoyed my experience at my placement. IVHQ partners with organizations around the world and provide several opportunities no matter your age, career experience, and interests.

After applying as a HIV Support Worker in Tanzania, I received a timely response from the IVHQ Program Manager. I also was able to speak directly with the Program Manager in my placement country. They both responded to my emails, answered my questions, provided step-by-step directions of what I needed to complete on my end, and made me feel like my service mattered.

There was so much to do at my placement, and the partner organization Tanzania Volunteer Experience, also had excursion activities (which you will have to pay for) for volunteers to do outside of volunteer hours.

I recommend IVHQ and will volunteer through them again in the future.

You should make sure that you go with an open mind and heart.
Stefanie

Living and working in Tanzania with IVHQ

I was in Tanzania for 8 weeks with IVHQ and I had the best time of my life. I worked 6 weeks in the childcare program where I teached 2-3 years old children and played with them. In my last two weeks I worked in an HIV program (lifted strong). It was incredible. Thanks to IVHQ I could actually help all this amazing people and I've learned so much about them and their culture. I learned to love the african music, the locals, the nature and the culture. IVHQ made my time in Tanzania to the best time of my life and I can't wait to join another trip with IVHQ. IVHQ helped me with every single problem I had and it didn't even matter if it was before I got therw, while I was travelling to Tanzania or if it was while I was there. I always felt safe and protected but we were also free to do whatever we wanted as long as it didn't had a bad impact on our work. And I'm thankful for that!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I did so many incredible things and went out of my comfort zone so many times that I can't even tell you. I think the most surprising thing for me was how close I got to know the culture and how fadt I fell in love with it.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Stefanie - I'm so happy you enjoyed your time in Tanzania, and it's awesome that in addition to your Childcare project you also got to assist on the HIV/AIDS Support project! It definitely sounds like you had an awesome cultural immersion experience and I can assure you that your contribution to the program was of incredible value. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again soon! Kaila - IVHQ Program Manager