Affordable Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

Affordable Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

Volunteer abroad in Tanzania with IVHQ! Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects in Tanzania. Based in Arusha, volunteer placements will be located in rural and urban Tanzanian communities and villages and volunteers will assist on a range of community-driven projects. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks and are accommodated in either a volunteer house or a homestay with a host family.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Tanzania:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • HIV/AIDS Support
  • Medical
  • Animal Welfare

• Programs available year-round, on the 1st and 15th of each month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 30 and 60 volunteers start in Tanzania each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Tanzania with fellow volunteers - such as Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam, Uganda and Kenya, or to embark on a safari.
Africa » Tanzania » Arusha
Project Types
Tanzania Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

Unfortunately according to their website, you cannot volunteer if you are under 18. The only exception is if you go volunteer with a guardian. Here's the link for more questions: https://www.volunteerhq.org/faq#114

Show 1 - 15 of 38
Katey

Happy Hearts and Joyful Souls

I didn't have any expectations when arriving in Tanzania, but oh boy, it was better than anything I could have imagined.
The culture, the atmosphere, the people. All were such incredible things that made my experience that much better.
I was part of the HIV/AIDS program for 9 weeks and it was the most eye opening experience. It was so very emotional but worth every second. The women in the program are such genuine human beings who are grateful for the little they have. Each day was completely different and we did so much more than what I was expecting to do. We did village visits, school visits, home visits, taught English, business and maths classes, and so much more!
I was the first volunteer at the new HIV/AIDS placement which meant there was a lot of work needed to be done to make sure the program could run smoothly. After a lot of hard work and a lot of hit and misses and not knowing whether I had even made a difference we came up with a sound structure for the program. And then, by the end of my third week there, I had one of the mamas in the program tell me in the very little English that she speaks, 'my heart is happy...because of you.' From that moment on I knew that whatever I did, big or small, it was being appreciated by these women.
The hardest thing I've ever had to do is say goodbye. I will definitely be back to this magnificent country.

Nina

My Tanzanian Volunteer Experience

I have now completed 2 IVHQ programs in Tanzania. Each experience was filled with unforgettable moments that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Tanzanian people are like no other. They are kind. They are friendly. They are helpful. Every friend that I have made here will be a friend for life. The children and families I have worked with during my placements will stay in my heart forever. If I had any tips for new volunteers, it would be: To have an open mind, and an open heart. Remember that this is Africa. People will say certain things and act in certain ways because their lives are hard here. Always love and always forgive, the world is already filled with enough hate, so it’s important that we do everything we can to make it a better place.

I believe it would be beneficial for volunteers if they were provided advice about photography in the country. I have witnessed too many times, volunteers taking photos of scenes that they should not be taking photos of. It can be disrespectful and also detrimental to the image that volunteers attain. I have spoken up when I have witnessed this, but perhaps to avoid embarrassment it would be great if IVHQ provided future volunteers with guidance about photography (what is and isn’t acceptable).

Catherine

Tanzania Childcare Program

I loved every second of this experience. From hanging out with the other volunteers, to working with the people at my placement, to interacting with locals in the town... every single person I encountered on this trip had such a positive impact on my experience and I couldn't thank them enough. My two weeks there flew by and I wish that I could have stayed for another two... or more! The local team was great and had so many weekend trips laid out for us to choose from, there wasn't a day that we weren't busy!

need to be more clear and stress to volunteers about what to do when acquiring the visa at the airport. I ended up having to buy the volunteer visa because the people recognized Angela's name on my information sheet, but if I had known more of what to say (such as I was just staying with her while I am here for a safari/etc) I could have gotten out of it.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Catherine, I'm glad to hear you made the most of your trip to Tanzania! I agree that the Tanzanian people and local team are extremely kind an helpful and I can see why they made your experience a positive one. It's sounds like you have left Tanzania with lots of wonderful memories and we hope that you will return again one day. I appreciate your suggestion on how IVHQ can improve the program and I can assure that we are working hard to make sure the correct information is given to volunteers with regards to the tourist visa and work permit. Thanks again for being a great volunteer! ^Willie - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Ellie

Teaching/ childcare in Tanzania

For all the first timers in Tanzania there are no words that describe how incredible this country is. The people, the place everything. I always knew that my time volunteering would impact me greatly post travel but I didnt know that aspects other than my actually placement would have such a profound affect on me I did childcare/ teaching and was based at a school called Hillcrest which was a 20 minute walk from the volunteer house. One thing I would advise is for anyone doing this program to check if the kids are on holidays during your placement. The usual kids at the school I was at were all on holiday during my placement which was a shame because I didn’t get to teach but there were a lot of local kids that were still at school in the morning so my experience with the children was still great nonetheless. A tip I’d suggest prior to coming is to plan activities for the children to do while your there or create a teaching plan so that you know roughly what you’d like to teach. I do say roughly as it’s also good to observe a class or two before coming and the children’s behaviour then develop a plan accordingly based around their curriculum and so on. The kids are amazing! You will learn just as much from them as they learn from you. Their smiles are infectious. During the weekends there are endless excursions you can go on. My two favourites which I’d definitely recommend is the 2 day Moshi trip and the 4 day safari. On the Moshi trip you get to go to a coffee plantation and make your own coffee, go to a waterfall, go to the base of Kilimanjaro and go to the most magical hot spring. The 4 day safari is majestic. You get to go to 3 national parks including Serengeti and Ngorongoro.
In Tanzania things will obviously operate differently then back home which might take some adapting. But just embrace this new situation you’re in! “Hakuna Matata” as the locals say and I’m sure you’ll be adopting that line too. Be prepared to have an experience of a lifetime.

By stating the holidays of children at school if applicable. Being more thorough about visa requirements.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ellie, Thanks for taking your time to share your experience! By the sounds of things, it sounds like an amazing experience and made the most of the wonderful activities Arusha has to offer. I appreciate your comments around the school holidays and will work with the local team to ensure these are better communicated to volunteers in 2018. Thanks again for volunteering with IVHQ in Tanzania and I hope you will return one day :) ^Willie - IVHQ Tanzania Program Manager

Natalie

Volunteering through IVHQ was the most life changing experience in my life so far! I say so far because I KNOW that volunteering this past summer will not be the last time I do so, exspecially with such great support and pricing by IVHQ! While helping others out, the locals ended up helping me find my inner peace, adventures, and life route! Anybody looking for a great opportunity to see the world and better it, IVHQ is a fantastic and cheap company that'll help you do so!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Natalie. Thanks for sharing such a lovely review. It's wonderful to hear that volunteering in Tanzania was a life-changing experience for you and that you'll be back to volunteer with in the future. We look forward to it!

Katie

Just Do It!

I had always wanted to do a trip like this and I'm SO happy that I did. If you're feeling nervous or hesitant, I believe that is completely normal & just do it! You will thank yourself later. The experience that I had in Tanzania was one that I will never forget. I stayed at the Simba volunteer house for 6 weeks with about 10-30 other volunteers. The friends that I made and connected with were absolutely amazing and it was so hard to leave at the end of my 6 weeks. The local children that came to play at the house inspired me every single day to be grateful and look at the positive in every situation.
I also ended up finding a puppy that needed his leg amputated and I ended up bringing him home to Canada. The support that I received from all of the people working there was AMAZING & I am forever grateful for them.
All in all, IVHQ is a wonderful organization that is very reasonably priced. You will not regret going.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Katie, Thanks for sharing your lovely words of encouragement for future volunteers! We are happy to hear that you had an unforgettable time in Tanzania and it was our pleasure to help facilitate this trip for you. We hope your puppy is enjoying life in Canada!

Alannah

Most Amazing Month of my Life!

I spent the month of July 2017 in Arusha, Tanzania and it truly stole my heart! The staff in Tanzania were so helpful from the minute we got off the plane. I always felt so comfortable talking to them about any questions I had with my placement or any other aspect of the experience. The school I was in truly changed my perspective. The wonderful children gave so much more to me than I could have ever given to them. I miss walking into the little school and being welcomed by so much love. The language barrier can be challenging but it's worth all the effort and hand gestures! I feel so honored to have been apart of their school for such a short space of time. Tanzania is a beautiful country with kind people. There is so much opportunity for excursions if you want to experience the culture while there. I couldn't recommend volunteering in Tanzania more! You'll make lifelong friends with the locals and people from all around the world.

Have more background information on each placement prepared for incoming volunteers to read about.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alannah, Thanks for your lovely review! We are stoked to hear that you experienced a warm and comfortable welcome onto the IVHQ program and your teaching placement in Tanzania. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to have you back one day.

No, I don't recommend
Nikki

Teaching in Tanzania

My friend volunteered through IVHQ over four years ago and had nothing but amazing things to say. Every summer I planned to do the same but fear kept pushing me back. Finally, I stomped on fear and booked and it was the scariest, yet most exciting thing I had ever done. I was going to Africa! Being home now it still does not feel real. I am so proud of myself for being so brave and conquering my fears of traveling alone across the world. If anyone is having doubts, don't think about it, just go!!! It will be the best decision you ever made!

While I was in Africa, I felt at home. At the airport pick up, I was greeted by the local staff (TVE) and already started mingling with other volunteers and got to know them while we waited. I was placed in a brand new volunteer house along with 20 + other volunteers and instantly we felt like family. I arrived on the Friday and within a few hours I had already booked up my weekend with a trip to Moshi and the Massai Village. Both of which I would highly recommend. The local staff made us feel welcomed and accommodated. They were very helpful in booking excursions and answering questions. Luckily I arrived on a Friday to allow the time to do things, which I would recommend doing. I really only knew about the safari excursion so I was very pleased to find out all of the possibilities upon arrival. I wish there could have been a detailed list sent ahead of time of options and price costs as I did miss out on some things that I wanted to do.

I volunteered at an Orphanage/ School and it was the most amazing experience. You're heart becomes so full of love but also heartbreak at the same time. I loved my placement so much. My only regret is not staying longer. It's hard to make the connections and then just leave 2 weeks later. You don't feel like you've made any difference. I only stayed for 2 weeks and it was not long enough. I was supposed to be teaching but I ended up really only providing child care. This was okay for me though as I enjoyed just playing with them. The local staff is very helpful in helping you relocate if you are not happy though. I also helped donate a lot of food and supplies to my school and the local staff helped me purchase and transport it all to the school.

I really don't have anything bad to say about my experience. All the set backs were really just because I was in a different country, #TIA (this is Africa). You just have to be open-minded, patient and do your research so you don't have any surprises.

If you're having doubts, don't. Just GO!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nikki, Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you had an action-packed, rewarding and inspiring volunteer trip to Tanzania. We are so glad to hear that you were able to overcome your fears as it was excellent to have you volunteer with us. We would love to have you join us again in the future.

elizabeth

Tanzania July 2017

I have wanted to teach in Africa since i was a young child. I've researched many volunteer programs and IVHQ was the most affordable. Before the program start, I was in contact with the tanzanian coordinator, volunteer directors in tanzania, recent volunteers, and the tour coordinator. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the local team at the airport. I was escorted to the volunteer house, to town, and to my placement for the first time, allowing me to feel confident and safe in my environment. This program was an extremely rewarding experience. I have made many life long friends. My entire outlook on life has dramatically changed. I would recommend IVHQ to anyone.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for sharing! We are so glad to hear your time on the program in Tanzania was rewarding, safe, and helped to change your outlook on life. Thanks for your recommendation and for being a great IVHQ volunteer!

Kelly

A Chapter of Life in Tanzania

78 days ago I left what has been the most impactful experience of my life. As I sit here staring at this computer screen, I struggle to write a review on my time volunteering in Tanzania. I have already written multiple journal entries and blogs, told numerous stories to friends and family, but how can I possibly find the words to suffice how important this trip was in a review. The truth is I can’t. I can’t convey such an experience into words, but I can try.

After four busy years getting my degree at Michigan State University, I decided I needed a mental break before I started medical school. I took the plunge and signed up for 3 months of volunteering alone in Tanzania, not knowing at all what I was really getting myself into. I remember standing at the door of the Twiga volunteer house, suitcase in hand, nervous to walk through the door. The current volunteers were nothing but warm and welcoming and I was even convinced to climb 19,341 feet to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro over New Years.

Not a day goes by where I do not think about Kilimanjaro and my time on that 7-day hike. Through the shivering nights, the laughs shared from the food tent, and the long, slow 8 hour summit hike through the snow during a whiteout, I became family with a group of strangers. Kilimanjaro is like nothing else. It pushed me until I cried, showed me the astounding beauty of 5 different climate zones ranging from jungle to tundra, and provided me with the best climbing guides I could imagine. Never have I felt such a liberating moment than when I stood on top of Uhuru peak, and I am always longing to be back.

My placement was at Hillcrest Nursery School, where I spent my time in a class of about twenty 5-6 year old kids. I remember the first day arriving to the school after a 20 minute walk through a nearby village. The kids instantly ran up to me and the other two volunteers showering us with hugs and hands to hold, screaming, “Teacha! Teacha!”. Over the 3 months I was overwhelmed with the students compassion, eagerness to learn, and curiosity for the world. The teachers at this school are some of the most wonderful, hard-working women I have ever met, and I am thankful for the time I had. I was able to see the progress of the students’ work and noticed how proud and happy I had become. Though some days could be tough, these children are the future and have overall provided me with the most pure happiness I have ever felt, while teaching me to become more patient and committed. These kids whom have much less than you and me, still have the biggest of hearts in the smallest of people.

Aside from my wonderful experiences with the students, Kilimanjaro, and Safari, I made friends that will last a lifetime. Living in the volunteer house allowed me to meet people from all over the world. I feel that there is something very special about befriending people from different countries. It was interesting to trade culture and language differences, but the friends I made also brought about parts of me I have never noticed before. It is amazing to have friends who have been a part of such a meaningful experience in your life and I feel lucky to have friends worth missing, whom I can now visit.

I think back on the person I was before Tanzania, and to the person I have now become. A more independent me: without that comfort person from home, I was forced to expand my comfort zones as I made friends and did things alone. In Tanzania I learned the concept of “African Time” and noticed things do not always happen on time, and sometimes things happen hours later. I became more easy going, as I realized I need to have the ability to adjust expectations in life and take things as they come. Whether it was drinking goat’s blood, taking the public transportation to town to meet a friend alone, or dancing in the rain, I learned the importance of “living in the moment”. Life is to precious to be occupied thinking about the future, or dwelling on the past. We should be focusing on the now, and since Tanzania I have made it my mission to say “yes” to as many safe opportunities that come my way, no matter how silly. Life has so much to offer if you let it.

78 days. It has been 78 days since I left Tanzania. Although the post-travel depression has come and gone and I am adjusted to life back at home, I am always thinking about Tanzania and its beautiful people and versatile landscape. I feel it is so important to experience a new culture in a country that is different from our own, and I recommend volunteering abroad to anyone, as you will find giving back provides you with a sense of purpose. This experience has only made me more competent and ready to take on the world, and I know that one day I will be back.

Perhaps stressing the importance of volunteers needing to be open-minded with their placement. If you feel that you aren't as useful as you would like to be at your placement, you must take initiative and find a way to be active, whether that is planning a program for the children, building a project, or even asking what else can be done to help.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kelly, What an incredible review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about the lessons you learnt from climbing Kilimanjaro, your teaching placement, and meeting other like-minded people from all over the world. It is awesome to hear that you have become a more independent, confident, competent, easy going and adaptable person due to the experiences you had in Tanzania. We have really enjoyed your review and would love to have you join us again in the future.

Ailish

Best Time of my Life!

When I heard about IVHQ I was really impressed by the cheaper fees for their volunteer programs. I chose to go to Tanzania for 8 weeks and I am beyond happy that I got to go! The staff were so supportive and answered my concerns, I got to stay in a volunteer house that was a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends, and my volunteer program was life changing. Working as a teacher with primary school kids was so much fun and I learned a lot about Tanzania. I will miss this experience so much because it changed my life and opened my eyes to a whole new world. I can't wait to do another program with IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ailish, Thanks for sharing. We are so glad to hear that your experience in Tanzania was life changing, eye opening and fun. We can’t wait to have you volunteer with us again!

Van

Once in a lifetime

I'll keep this brief--I believe everyone is a little apprehensive when they enter the unknown continent of Africa for the first time, based on preconceived ideas of what it's like there. I would be lying if I said I wasn't one of those people. At the moment of arrival I was anxious about the culture, the natives, the other volunteers, the food, getting sick... By the second week, I had come to love everything about Tanzania. You have to be open-minded if you are going to survive here. And by "survive" I mean getting along with your fellow volunteers, getting around town, and experience everything this beautiful country has to offer. The mamas' cooking was excellent, the sights: Moshi (waterfall + hot spring), safari, Zanzibar, Maasai village were all breathtaking, and the nightlife at Via Via with my new friends were unforgettable.
What I'm trying to say is, be in the moment--every second of it--because although it's not what you're used to, that's what makes it awesome. Appreciate the kids you are teaching, embrace their hugs, and return their smiles with yours because it means more than you can imagine. Enjoy sitting around the table with new friends from all over the world and share your life with theirs'. Before you know it, your last day will come and you'll wish you had more time!

More information regarding the placement of volunteers in terms of teaching. We kind of get thrown in the middle of it without any concrete details about the kids' level of education. There were times where I felt like it was pointless for me to be there, and many of the other volunteers shared the same sentiment. If the directors can send us some sort of important data to consider simultaneously with the e-mail about where we will be placed 2 weeks before arrival, that would have helped immensely. "Classes are structured between ages 3-5, 5-6, 7-8..." "English knowledge is minimal, subjects taught include: English, Vocational Skills, Science..." "Be prepared to copy from the book a lot, unless you prepare your own lessons."

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Van, Thanks for sharing such honest and important advice with other potential volunteers. We are so stoked to hear that you came to love everything about Tanzania and made the most of your experience. We will be sure to take your feedback on board, as it is important for all volunteer work to be meaningful. Thanks for being an IVHQer!
Program Manager

Emma

Christmas day

Never will I ever forget the Christmas I spent in Tanzania, it was nothing like the snowy holiday I was used too. It was amazing in a way I never expected my first Xmas away to be like. We got to placement early that morning to get all the kids ready and loaded up into a bus. To take them to lake Duluti for the day they were so crazy excited, dancing and running around. We even cooked them a special Christmas lunch which was delicious. After lunch they all went and jumped into the lake and splashed around for over an hour. And then we played pass the parcel so that they all could get a little present. Which then turned into a great dance party with more treats and toys. Once the kids were dropped off back at the school. All the volunteers headed to Twigga house to help make Christmas dinner. Then we all sat down together to eat, I think we even got those Christmas crackers. It was just so surreal being surrounded by people from all over the world and sharing a holiday together.

I cant say one bad thing about my entire trip everyday was amazing.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emma, Thanks for sharing. What an incredible and special Christmas to share with the children at your placement, and other volunteers from all around the world! We are so stoked to hear everyday in Tanzania was amazing. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Alex

Tanzania IVHQ

Traveling all alone to a completely foreign country you've never visited before is intimidating. It's so intimidating that I almost didn't go. I have dreamt about exploring Africa for years now, but I always made excuses about why I couldn't go. It's too much money, or there's not enough time, or I don't want to go alone. If this sounds like you then I want to encourage you to GO! Step outside of your comfort zone and I promise you won't regret it. IVHQ made this trip so easy for me. I was still nervous of course, but all my nerves left me as soon as I met Elizabeth and Johanna at the airport. They made me feel so comfortable and welcome! The other volunteers and staff make the house feel like home. The staff helped us every step of the way! They arranged our placement, brushed us up on our Swahili, made sure we got to placement safely, cooked us breakfast, lunch and dinner (the food is so yummy!), and helped us arrange our weekend trips. Safari was the experience of a lifetime! You can't leave Tanzania without seeing the Serengeti or Ngorongoro crater. Zanzibar was completely unreal. It is hands down the most beautiful and unique island I've seen. And the Masai village is a must-see! Overall, I would give my experience in Tanzania a 10/10. The people you meet and memories you make will stay with you forever. I can't wait to go back one day!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alex, Thanks for your excellent review! We are so happy that you pushed through your reservations and joined us on the IVHQ program in Kenya. It sounds like the program went smoothly and you were very well supported by our fantastic local team. Thanks for your recommendation and for being an awesome volunteer. We would love to have you join us again!
Will – IVHQ Kenya Program Manager

Briana

Positive Impacts

Hello fellow travelers and lovers of the world! If you're thinking about visiting Tanzania, stop thinking and go! Tanzania is a beautifully diverse and exciting country that offers something for everyone. There's hiking (including Africa's tallest mountain, Kilimanjaro, among others), outstanding safaris, exotic national parks, hidden oasis', eclectic shopping experiences, vibrant nightlife, and welcoming locals everywhere you go! While in Arusha, I volunteered doing HIV/AIDS Support at a small local non-profit called Positive Love for three months. This is an amazing organization that offers women who are affected by the virus to find their individuality and be proud of who they are and what they do, in addition to learning new skills and becoming financially stable. Positive Love is combatting the stigma against people affected by HIV in Tanzania and being a volunteer for them was a truly life-changing experience. I came to love the women of Positive Love. While there, my friend and I raised donations to complete building and furnishing a shop for the women to sell their goods in, we created a campaign to sell the products in our home country, and we helped to start a garden in which the women can grow and sell the vegetables. Positive Love is flourishing and I am so happy I could be a part of this non-profit as a volunteer. Thanks to IVHQ and Tanzania Volunteer Experience (TVE) I will never forget what a wonderful time I had volunteering for 12 weeks.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Briana, Thanks for sharing this awesome review! It is inspiring to hear of all the worthwhile initiatives you were involved in with Positive Love during your 12 weeks on the program. We couldn’t agree more that Tanzania has it all - Kilimanjaro, outstanding safaris, national parks, hidden oasis', vibrant nightlife, and welcoming locals. It has been great having you as a volunteer and we like your encouragement to “just go”!

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world. Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...