• Tanzania

Program Details

Short Term Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Guesthouse Host Family
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $270 for 1 week - this includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Jul 28, 2022
Sep 01, 2022
69 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 120,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in Tanzania and 50+ other destinations around the world.

If you thrive on authentic experiences, vibrant cultures and exciting adventures, then volunteering in Tanzania is for you. Choose from seven meaningful projects spanning 1 to 16 weeks, based within villages and urban communities in and around Arusha, or on the tropical island of Zanzibar.

Your fully-hosted experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in either a homestay or volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ offers a multi-layered support network, so even before you depart, you’ll receive outstanding service from your IVHQ Program Manager and gain exclusive access to volunteer training and preparation tools.

Are you ready to immerse yourself in a new culture while making a difference?

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Tanzania program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of each month.
  • Fully hosted volunteer experiences starting from only $270 for 1 week - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • Incredible add-ons available, including safari, Mount Kilimanjaro and Maasai village tours
  • Support impact-driven volunteer projects run by locals within your host community
  • Flexible booking and free changes so you can register with confidence

Popular Programs

IVHQ Zanzibar Turtle Conservation

Support a local Marine Turtle Sanctuary in Nungwi - a coastal village home to Zanzibar’s finest beaches. As a Turtle Conservation volunteer, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in helping boost wild turtle populations and assist with treating and releasing injured turtles.

IVHQ Zanzibar Rainforest and Coastal Conservation

Work within the local community to support the conservation of the Jozani Forest - the largest area of indigenous forest on the island of Zanzibar. You'll assist with environmental education efforts through various activities, including helping at a small reptile sanctuary, working at a farm co-op and assisting with mangrove tree planting.

Volunteer with children in Tanzania with IVHQ

Do you love working with children and want to provide invaluable support within childcare centers across Tanzania? Work alongside local caregivers as a Childcare Volunteer, creating fun and educational environments to support the development of local children.

Medical Volunteering with IVHQ

Enhance your global perspective of medicine by shadowing and assisting medical professionals in clinics and hospitals around Arusha. This project is open to students in at least their third year of medical or nursing school, or fully qualified professionals. Paramedics, EMTs and CNAs are also welcome.

Teach children in Tanzania with IVHQ

Collaborate with local teachers in Tanzania and lead classes of up to 80 students across a wide range of subjects. This is an opportunity to play a hands-on role in delivering more focused education to students within schools of limited resources.

Volunteer with women in Tanzania with IVHQ

Support with the education of local Tanzanian women who come from challenging backgrounds, giving them a chance to upskill and earn a sustainable income.

Volunteer with animals with IVHQ

Volunteer alongside a local vet in Tanzania, delivering mobile care to farm and domestic animals around Arusha. This project is perfect for all volunteers who love working with animals and have a passion for animal welfare.

• 9-10 rating 95.65%
  • 7-8 rating 4.35%
Catharina

A great first volunteer experience as a family

We were looking for an organization that could offer different programs for a family. IVHQ was that organization! They offered programs in a medical group for my daughter, sustainability group for my son and teaching group for myself - all this and we could stay in a private room in a homestead. We booked several outings with IVHQ. They listened to our concerns and everything went very smoothly. We saw the beautiful Ngorongoro crater (safari), visited a Maasai village and hiked Kilimanjaro up to first base: Mandara hut. On our spare time we visited local markets, a baby orphanage and got to know Arusha. The people were very friendly and we had great conversations with local people. Safety is an issue but it was not a problem at all, only be aware of it.

Our 1 week in Arusha, Tanzania was a great experience, only wish we would have stayed longer.

Pros
  • Support of the local team
  • Amazing country with great culture, beautiful nature, friendly people
  • Great volunteer places
Marie

Amazing volunteer trip in Arusha

The Childcare project in Arusha was the best experience of my life. I met wonderful people, immerse in an unique culture and made a positive impact in a project that I care. It is also an affordable destination since the daily cost is really cheap. You have the opportunity to do a lot of activities, like amazing safaries, and discover this beautiful country. In Arusha, I was feeling safe and was taken care of. The local team is always available to answer your questions or help you with any insecurity. I will do it again for sure! If you are still hesitating, just do it :)

Pros
  • Wonderful community
  • Feeling safe
  • A lot of activities
Rokaya

volunteering has the power to transform the world and make it a much better place.

volunteering is something that we all need to do to help others and provide them with opportunities that they cannot have access to.I've
learnt that giving is receiving, and I discovered what that meant through it. It helped me understand my life's purpose: to brighten others days, to uplift people's lives and to cherish and never take for granted the life I have. I had the opportunity to teach little kids, and watching them smile from ear to ear every day genuinely melted my heart This experience really made me open up my eyes and see life with a different perspective. It taught me how the little things and the simplest pleasures of life can make you the happiest. The warmth of the locals, the breathtaking surroundings and the culture in Arusha made Tanzania feel like a second home. I can't stop thinking of going back, and I am already planning to go back cause I have gained a lot of contacts their but on my own and to stay longer and help more people in need .if I went back with time,I’d have oved to open a place to teach people music which is a passion of mine.it would be great to take use of the skills I have with music to help others know more about it and feel the joy it brings them and the inner peace it gives.. .a situation that will be
stuck with me forever is when a kid
called Christian there used to ask about
me whenever I wasn't there .not a thing
could've separated us not even the
language barrier .he made me feel like I
had a good impact on him. it was an
unforgettable experience.

Pros
  • Good community
  • Affordable
  • peace and feeling of home
Cons
  • None
  • None
  • None
Kelsey

Volunteering abroad

Volunteering abroad was the best decision i’ve ever made. It was my first time traveling alone but I was never truly alone. I got the chance to meet so many other volunteers from all around the world who became like family to me and volunteering with the kids was so incredibly fun and rewarding. I never imagined I could make such genuine connections with people who don’t even speak the same language. Volunteering abroad provided me with so much joy and purpose and I can’t wait to do this again one day.

Anna

Amazing volunteering experience in Tanzania

Amazing volunteering experience with IVHQ!
I spent three months in Arusha, Tanzania, in the teaching program. Those three months were the most incredible and wonderful ones. I learned so many things about human beings and about me. The links I have bond with the people there are going to be in my heart forever.
I would jump on the plane right now if had more free time to go again. I recommend this experience to anyone who wants to give its time to people in need.
Thank you so much Tanzania. I will remember you forever.

Pros
  • The people you meet are wonderful
  • The organisation helps you in every step
  • The country has so much to offer
Hector

Childcare Arusha Tanzania

I stayed a total of three weeks in Arusha doing the childcare program and it is the best thing that has happened to me. From the moment you get there you feel like you are part of something. This program made me grow as a person inmesively and opened my eyes to the world, it made me realize that I want to do this type of stuff way more often and I think everyone MUST try it. The bonds that you make with other volunteers and staff are incredible and really my only regret is not staying longer. The childcare program is very well organised and the joy that it gave me doesn't compare to anything that I had previously done. Seeing the kids every morning with their huge smiles made my day everyday. If you are thinking of volunteering with IVHQ don't think anymore, just do it, you won't regret it one bit.

Pros
  • Getting to know people from all around the world
  • Experiencing a new culture and seeing an amazing country
  • Growing as a person and helping others.
Michael

Enjoyed enough to go again

I was most highly satisfied with my experience at IVHQ and TVE!!! The Community was more than considerate and hospitable to myself and others participating. I experience NO ANIMOSITY or harsh treatment towards others even though the building I stayed in had Latin Americans, Europeans, N. Americans, and Africans all dwelling in close quarters. The Housekeepers were impressively joyous and colorful in attitude and diligent in practice. The food was more and better than anticipated considering rate of stay and comforts offered. My placement was teaching Primary School Children general subject criteria as English language and Mathematics. I felt gratitude for the 8-11 year olds class (i judge about that age range) tolerance and subordination of my attempts to Teach them. I was and still am shocked at how much luxuries and opportunities i neglect. My stay was only two weeks yet the culture was inviting and comforting enough that I felt a bit of depression for about a week after I returned Home, this would indicate to me that the experience gave my body and soul something that it missed after leaving. I highly suggest anyone with
interest in volunteering to give IVHQ a try. I plan on trying to participate in another trip with their platform in 2024.

Pros
  • Welcoming, Considerate, Hospitable, Humane, Accepting, Non-Western life experience,
  • kind locals who provided enjoyable experience
Cons
  • Water needed filtered/boiled to drink
Angel

life changing experience

i’m only 16 and went alone to tanzania. i felt so looked after and the experience ivhq gave me was unforgettable, life changing and truly humbling.
the people of tanzania had such huge smiles and were always willing to help.
the scenery was amazing and so many trips to offer.
the friends you make there you will keep in touch forever. it’s so amazing to meet so many people from different countries with different cultures, religions etc.
the social life is also amazing, so much to do at night.

Pros
  • the mamas at the host house make you feel at home
  • never particularly felt unsafe
  • the scenery and people was amazing