Affordable Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

By IVHQ   Reviews (11)   93% Rating

Volunteer in Tanzania with IVHQ! With diverse NGO partnerships in Tanzania, IVHQ is able to offer a variety of highly affordable volunteer programs in Tanzania. A diversity of volunteer programs are available for volunteers, including teaching, childcare work and medical programs. Volunteers are free to join to the program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months, giving you flexibility to plan your volunteer vacation, gap year, or career break.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Tanzania:

• Teaching
  • Childcare Work
  • HIV/AIDS Support
  • Medical Placement: Healthcare facilities aren't readily accessible for many Tanzanians, and this IVHQ volunteer program helps bridge this gap by placing medical volunteers in villages and townships where they are needed the most.

• Volunteer programs in Tanzania can be joined anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in Tanzania start on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Last year, over 300 IVHQ volunteers joined projects in Tanzania, with numbers growing every year!
  • All volunteers receive a cultural and language orientation upon arrival
  • Volunteers will either stay with a host-family or a volunteer house depending on placement.
  • Join other volunteers or explore Tanzania on your own during your free time!
  • Learn more about IVHQ programs by reading the great reviews and interviews IVHQ alumni have left about their incredible experiences in Tanzania

Program Info

Age: 31-50
    Hong Kong
    Amazing experience!
    04/14/2015

That was amazing. I volunteer in an orphanage with around 15 kids, they are very cheerful and energetic, but living in very bad condition. We played games with them and taught them simple English songs, and all of us enjoyed some much there.
    The support of IVHQ prior the program was very systematic, with very helpful online consultation. The local NGO got very friendly staffs.
    We lived out of town but it was safe in our house, although sometimes there is no power which I understand, it's Africa.
    It's always better to go and understand the real need of the world then just to donate.

How could this program be improved?

The language class in orientation could be better, provide some more useful daily words, but not just learning like colors and numbers.

• Paola Barcellos
    Curitiba, Brasil
    Best Experience Ever
    02/17/2015

Its hard to describe with words the best experience of my life. I didnt think i would learn and have so much fun at the same time. I found IVHQ because its really the cheapest company and I couldnt be happier with my choice. I went to Tanzania for the medical placement and end up helping at a health center and living at a volunteer house with awesome people. I learned about new diseases, helped doctors and also visited orphanages with so many cute kids. I recommend IVHQ and Tanzania with no doubt.

Photos:
    Kids at the maasai village
    Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015
    Hi Paola, IVHQ offers the world's most affordable volunteer programs and we are glad that this meant you were able to visit Tanzania and volunteer on our medical project. Thanks for the recommendation and we hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.
  • Natalia Cable
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Massey University
    My Tanzanian Experience
    02/16/2015

My two months in Tanzania were two of the best months of my life. I had the most amazing time and met some fantastic people. Learned about a completely different culture and pushed out of my comfort zone.

My day to day consisted of waking up going and catching the dala to placement- this being an experience in itself with the sheer amount of people they would jam in the dala. There would also be the odd chicken on a persons lap or a goat in the boot.

Once at placement I would help with teaching the kids by either taking lessons or working 1 on 1 with kids to help them understand what the teacher is teaching. The kids would then get porridge and play time until lunch. I would also help with doing dishes.

Placement tended to finish around 1 or 2 after the kids had lunch. Then u would head home or into town.

The volunteer house was great we were living with roughly 20 people at a time, it was a fun social environment which always had something going on! The friends I made here will be friends il hold on to for life.

The house mamas were great, we always had heaps of delicious food around and they were always friendly! Our house managers were the same so friendly and helpful if you needed anything, there was not a time I didn't feel comfortable approaching them.

Some highlights from my trip were safari - it was amazing, just seeing all the animals in their natural habitat was fantastic! And also Zanzibar with all my friends was a really fun trip!

I wouldn't change my experience in Tanzania for anything. I fell in love with the country, the culture, the kids at my placement and everyone else in between. Highly recommend giving it a go!

How could this program be improved?

Shorter orientation is the first thing that comes to mind. It's a little thing but it was painfully long.

Photos:
    The girls playing dress up
    The kids working in class
    Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015
    Hi Natalia, It is great to hear from you and to read a little about your volunteer experience on our Teaching project in Tanzania. It definitely sounds like you had a great volunteer travel experience. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!
  • Mackenzie
    Oklahoma
    Tanzania IVHQ
    11/04/2014

Ivhq was a great program. I stayed in a volunteer house with about 20 other people. It was great to meet people from other countries around the world. My daily activities included waking up in the morning and taking a dala to my orphanage placement. I helped serve porridge and played with the kids. I also helped some with the teaching. My afternoon/evening activities included going into town for restaurants and wifi.

How could this program be improved?

I think the staff needed better communication. They were super nice and happy to help, but at orientation they told you what was going on and just kind of left it up to you to figure out the details.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    11/11/2014
    Hi Mackenzie, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your volunteer abroad experience on the Childcare project in Tanzania. We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.
  • precious1ne
    London, UK
    University of London
    Best Summer of my life
    04/24/2012

I went alone and was really nervous to fly by myself for the first time and meeting everyone already there in the volunteer house, but I had nothing to worry about. The staff, cooks and other volunteers were amazing and I formed some great friendships till this day. I enjoyed experiencing the local culture, meeting new people, trying new things, picking up some Swahili and enjoyed every single second of my placement. I loved the balance between independence and the comfort of feeling like you were part of a big family.
    My days at the orphanage consisted of some teaching, marking, playing with the kids at break, reading and doing some smaller group activities and also helping to prepare lunch. Spending time with the kids was amazing, getting to know them individually was priceless.
    Downside-I didn't spend enough time there!! That's why I'm going back again in a few months! Nakupenda Mtanzania!

• Melvin
    Mexico City
    My experience in Tanzania
    04/15/2012

I'll start by writting that I really enjoy my stay in Tanzania. It was maybe one of best experiences I've ever had.

At first it was hard because I had to help in a school for blind children and with no experience at all I thought I would have been so hard. But as days gone by I felt more and more confident with the whole situation. The teachers really hepl us, first they thought us braile so that we could communicate with the children. SO, it was definatelly a different and amazing experience. Although some days seems like we weren't doing anything (because the lenguage barrier and them being blind was difficult) after month has gone by we were really connected with the children. Really amazing.

The staff was amazing, they helped us since day 1 when they pick us up at the airpodrt. They helped us with the papers and accomodations and pretty much everything. We could always relly on them when we had troubles and they move to make our stay as confortable as possible. I didn't really expect a nice bed and meals, but even though I was in the countryside with a family I stay in a !nice house with 8 other volunteers and there was always food for us, so I never worry about that.

There were some fears about staying in Arusha but I really felt safe all the time eventhough me and other volunteer had to travel for an hour and a half to get to the school. The local people were always vey nice, sometimes they bother you trying to sell you stuff but once you go passs that I think the city otself is very safe (if you take the proper precautions of course).

Bottom line is you should definatelly try volunteering here.

• ShannonF555
    Oakland, California
    Supportive staff that foster wonderful community partnerships!
    03/27/2012

From the moment that IVHQ's partner in Tanzania (TVE)came to pick me up, I knew it was going to be a good program. The airline brought us to the wrong airport (eek!) but they drove 45 minutes across the city to get me anyways. I felt well supported during my stay, always very safe. I never had any problems, but I felt as if someone would be there to support me if I ever did. A person from IVHQ was there checking in on the program while I was there, that made me feel really good knowing that they keep in contact with all their sites. It was so much fun, and a life changing experience as well- a combination of tourism, travel, volunteer that went as it did because of the quality of the program and staff. I would recommend this program to everyone from those who are seasoned travelers to those who have never left home. You will feel right at home either way.

• Rhi
    Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
    Best experience EVER!!!!!
    03/22/2012

This progam was the most exciting and rewarding time of my life. I couldnt of asked for a better placement not to mention the suport from the IVHQ staff. I not only leaned alot about the Arusha community but i also learned so much about myself. The biggest highlight would be how amazing and smart the kids are. They are the most beautiful little creatures i have ever met. Cant wait to get back over there again and catch up with everyone :)

• mlorene
    Mount Vernon, Iowa
    IVHQ Tanzania - Teaching Placement
    03/22/2012

Hands down the most important experience of my life. It is difficult to verbalize, but living and teaching in Tanzania is life changing. The people are incredible and although the slow-paced life takes some getting used to, it has a charm to it. The program is a great way to not only immerse yourself in the culture and community (whether through a homestay or at the volunteer house) but also a wonderful way to meet other young people who have similar interests as you from all over the world. There are also tons of people to travel with on weekend trips, safaris, longer vacations to Zanzibar, or to show you around town when you are new. The people and children you work with and for will capture your heart as well. I went to Africa knowing nobody, and left 3 months later feeling like I was leaving home and leaving family. It is a country that has lots of love to give and the people can use all of the help and support they can get - totally worth your time, money, and effort. There is nowhere else in the world I want to go more than I want to go back to Tanzania.

• theroserette
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Carleton University
    Orphange and Teaching Work 2010
    03/21/2012

I went to Tanzania with IVHQ in 2010 and had an amazing time! I worked in an orphanage for 6 weeks and then a school for 6 weeks. Both were very welcoming atmospheres and I loved working there. I still get updates from volunteers that are back there now. The people I lived with, people I worked with, and the locals I met there were all very friendly. I loved volunteering with IVHQ so I'm going again. Hopefully I'll see you all there!

• Canadian91
    Abbotsford, British Columbia
    Gaining Valuable Experience
    03/08/2012

The school jumped onto the fact that my sister and I were bilingual in French and English. They immediately set up an extra class that began 1/2 an hour before the school usually started to ensure the children learned some French.
    Once we were done leading the French class, we would teach other classes such as Math and English. During their break time, we organize run sports and activities for them.
    Sometimes I felt like us being there was allowing the teachers to be lazy because they would often just sit in the office doing nothing as we taught. When I go back, I plan on working in the orphanage schools as it seemed the volunteers who worked there found it much more rewarding as they found they were making a difference.
    I still thoroughly enjoyed it though, and our work was worthwhile.

Alumni Interviews

• Day in the Life of Precious Mealia - Volunteer in Tanzania

Morning: A typical day consisted of waking up at around 7:30am, having a very quick cold shower then breakfast with the rest of the volunteers which usually consisted of mandazi, which is fried dough, omelette, toast, tea and fruit before heading off down the road to catch a dala dala (bus) into town which takes about 20 minutes. There was usually someone heading in the same direction as me so we all went together.

After getting off in town we'd walk to a place called 'friends corner' and get another dala dala to my placement which was a bumpy but interesting ride into the poorer parts of Arusha. After a short walk up to my placement saying hello to locals on the way, I'd usually arrive and catch the end of morning assembly which is the cutest thing ever; 60 little kids singing the Tanzanian national anthem and other songs! I would spend the rest of the morning doing some marking for one of the teachers or teaching a quick lesson before helping to hand out the kids morning snack of porridge.

Volunteering waith children in Tanzania

Afternoon: At play time I would find myself playing football or reading with the kids which gets crazy at times but is lots of fun. After break, I would quickly have a snack provided by my placement mama and a soda then help prepare lunch,(varied from rice and veg to ugali and meat) before doing some more teaching or sitting in on one of the classes.

After Lunch, the kids would go home and my placement baba (father) would always walk us back to catch the dala dala at around 3pm. I would usually head to the internet cafe after, to one of Arusha's many markets or go home and relax at the volunteer house.

Evenings and weekends: At least once a week all of the volunteers would go out for dinner or for nights out in the town which were always great or simply all chill together on the porch. Also on the weekends there were lots of things to do from coffee tours in nearby Moshi, trips to Zanzibar, Waterfall hikes or sunbathing at one of the swimming pools in Arusha.

• Why did you decide to volunteer with IVHQ in Tanzania?

Shannon: I decided to volunteer because most of my life I have traveled, done volunteer work and see amazing things, but I had never been to Africa and I had never done such a trip independently of my family. When I found IVHQ's program, and saw how low the fees were, I was shocked!

It did take me a good amount of time of talking to others that had done the program before (via their well-used Facebook page) to convince me that this was not a scam, just a company who really wanted to be able to both help small volunteer organizations contribute to their communities AND give young people an affordable way to participate.

(It is good for a potential IVHQ volunteer to note the IVHQ itself partners with local organizations, they themselves do not start programs in the country. However, the means that they charge lower fees and are also able to actually put some of the fees towards your placement. Meaning the kids actually got some of the money I paid, this does not happen in most other volunteer situations. They do have representatives from IVHQ check in on the program often, to make sure that all is well.)

Shannon volunteering with children at an orphanage in Tanzania
    Shannon volunteering with children at an orphanage in Tanzania

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Shannon: I worked at a baby orphanage, which was different from many of the other volunteer's placements, which tended to be primarily in schools. I took two dala-dalas (local "buses") to work 5 days a week, and occasional weekends, pretty much by myself. There was someone to help me get there the first few times, but as soon as I was comfortable, I was okay to be on my own. Daily life consisted of being there with the children, playing and feeding for several hours. It was tiring, heartbreaking and empowering all at once.

How was this experience unique and special?

Shannon: This experience was unique because I feel like for the first time in a long time, I was surrounded by like-minded people. I lived in the volunteer house with people from all over the world who had a desire to travel, help children and have fun! It was just as easy to engage in a conversation about clean water for a village as it was to have a laugh with them. We went out to clubs almost every weekend, so there was a good deal of partying that we did too. We were well supported in getting safe taxis and going out in a safe way. The kind of people who volunteer seem to be the kind of people who have their head on straight, and still want to have a bit of fun.

We were also given opportunities to go on weekend trips, like safaris, Zanzibar and to visit the Masaai village of our house's guard, which was in itself a life changer (In one sentence: I drank goats blood....).

How has this experience impacted your future?

Shannon: I have gone to get another degree in childhood and education, and have taken classes in childhood studies (which often involves studying lives of children in poverty or non-Western contexts) as a result of going to Tanzania. It has also really sparked my interest in voluntourism with young adults, which I hope to incorporate into a career someday! It changed my life. I had a whole new perspective on what it means to be human, what it means to be American, what the world can really be like.

I also met some wonderful people who I have kept in contact with and have visited from all over the world! For someone who has never left the country, there are plenty of people to learn from (both locals and well-traveled volunteers). For someone who has seen the world, this is seeing the world in a whole new way. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the program!

• Why did you decide to volunteer with IVHQ in Tanzania?

Alyssa: I decided to volunteer with IVHQ for a couple different reasons. First, was the extremely affordable price. In total for program fee, flights, spending money, and side trips I spent the same as other companies were looking to charge me for just the program few.

Second, was the fact that I got to read past volunteer reviews and through their Facebook group got to ask questions that past volunteers answered. I also got to meet the other volunteers I would be in Tanzania with which was nice because there were familiar faces once I got to the volunteer house.

Alyssa's volunteer program in Tanzania made a huge impact on her life
    Alyssa's volunteer program in Tanzania made a huge impact on her life

What made this volunteer abroad experience unique and special?

Alyssa: I think what made this volunteer experience unique and special was the children and the Tanzanian culture. I was able to visit children's homes and meet their families, really seeing how the people lived here. It was definitely an eye opener. The children were always so excited to see me and never wanted me to leave. People are so welcoming and love to show you their culture. The other volunteers there made it unique as well. We were a group of like-minded individuals who got along really well.

How has this experience impacted your future?

Alyssa: Well, since returning from Tanzania I've enrolled in Swahili (the language of Tanzania) class at the university I attend. I am really more aware of the world now and I've become addicted to volunteering. I'm going to Peru with IVHQ in May and hope to return to Tanzania next summer. I sponsored one of the children at the orphanage I worked at and I plan to continue sponsoring her for the rest of her elementary and high school years. I fell in love with Tanzania and I hope to return and live there for a few years after graduating.

• Why did you decide to volunteer with IVHQ in Tanzania?

Rhianna: I wanted to volunteer with IVHQ because they were the most affordable volunteering organisation that I could find. They also replied back to my email inquires very fast and also provided loads of helpful information about the program. IVHQ also had a Facebook page where I was able to talk to other people that have done this program.

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Rhianna: My day would begin around 8:30am at the orphanage. I would teach math in the morning until about 10:30am and then I would have morning tea with the headmaster and the orphanage coordinator. Once the kids had finished their porridge and I finished my morning tea, I would play games with the children, run around with them and in general talk to them. After morning tea I would then go back to class and teach English for the rest of the afternoon. Lunch was about 1pm in which I ate with the headmaster and coordinator. After lunch, I would then play with the children until it was home time at about 2:00pm.

After volunteering, Rihanna has chosen to sponsor one of the orphanage children
    After volunteering, Rihanna has chosen to sponsor one of the orphanage children

What made this volunteer experience unique and special?

Rhianna: The most unique part of this experience was that we were able to get to know a lot of the locals at the volunteer house as IVHQ employs locals to work at the house. I meet some amazing people through this, some I still keep in contact with now.

The children were also the most special part of the volunteering experience. They are the most amazing like kids in the world. I also often had a number of local community members coming up to me off the street to say thank you for helping the children. It was very special to know that the community was thankful.

How has this experience helped you grow personally and professionally?

Rhianna: I have definitely learned to appreciate the 'little things' now. I am very thankful that I live in a wonderful place. I have also sponsored one of the little girls in the orphanage (which will make this my second sponsor child). The orphanage often contacts me to let me know how she and the other students are going.

I definitely look at things such as poverty, sickness and homelessness in a different way now. Its easy to see how these kind of things all effect each other and the outcomes are often really devastating.

• Why did you decide to volunteer with IVHQ in Tanzania?

Melvin: I was looking for an volunteer organization that was secure, because that was my main concern, and a friend of mine had already traveled with IVHQ but he went to Kenya. He gave me all the information and when I look into it I felt it was well organized, everything explain and as soon as I applied they were helping me all they way through until I left Tanzania.

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Melvin: The problem was the distance, we had to walk like 20-30 minutes to the dala stop, then a 20min ride to town and then more walking to the school. But once we were things went ok. We arrived and reported to the teachers, then the two of us that were there had a braille class where we learn how to write and read. By 12 we had a lunch break of bread and chai and afterwards we spend the rest of the day with the three blind children. What I did was I made lists with English and Swahili words so that they could learn English and I could learn Swahili. By the end, we made a cardboard with a person silhouette and we add pieces of paper where we wrote, in braille, the names of the parts of the body. Another thing we did was, we made bracelets with bells and the children's went crazy when we gave it to them.

What made this volunteer abroad experience unique and special?

Melvin: Going to a country with a different culture was already a unique experience. What I appreciate the most was all the people I met. Not only the volunteers were great, I made a lot of good friends, but also people in Tanzania, the teachers and coordinators were always there to help me and they all made the whole experience as easy as possible. Teaching blind children was just something that I never expect I would do and although at first I was afraid, as days gone by I was really enjoying everything I did. And of course in my free time I travel around Tanzania and that was quite an experience meeting other travelers and more volunteers around the country.

Melvin had a rewarding experience volunteering with blind children in Tanzania
    Melvin had a rewarding experience volunteering with blind children in Tanzania

How has this experience impacted your future?

Melvin: Many of the volunteers were teachers so they had some experience but I'm not a teacher so I have to figure it out how to become a teacher. Personally I think it makes me a better person, it helped me to solve problems and survive in an environment which was a lot different from the place I come from. Although I felt really secure all the time, you could not escape from the insecurities of any big city so I had to learn to move by myself there and take care of myself. The whole experience definitely changes you in many ways and it opens your mind and prepares you to new challenges.

• Why did you decide to volunteer with IVHQ in Tanzania?

Megan: I was disappointed by the lack of affordable study abroad opportunities at my school for people interested in education, so I started looking into volunteer options I could do on my own over the summer. I wasn't sure if I could actually make it happen when I began researching, so I looked for cheap programs that would allow me to travel somewhere I had always wanted to go but had never thought would happen, and ultimately decided on Africa. I started looking at different countries that I'd like to travel to in Africa and Tanzania had it all - safaris, mountains, beaches, and people in need. IVHQ is an affordable program that some friends had used to go to different countries and had liked, and it also had a teaching program, so I was sold!

Describe your day to day activities as a volunteer.

Megan: As a volunteer, my day began early in the morning with breakfast at the house with all the other volunteers, then we would go our own ways to our various placements around the city and rural neighborhoods - hospitals, orphanages, schools, etc. An hour (2 long walks and 2 buses) later, I'd arrive at my classroom full of 16 eager 4-6 year-olds. I taught for anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 hours in the morning, working on math and English with the kids, would have lunch and recess with them, and then either travel to other classrooms and schools associated with my program after lunch or head back to the house.

It was difficult because the students had no English background and few resources (I was teaching in a class alone) but it was also a challenge everyone else in the house faced, so we would share lesson ideas and make plans together and give feedback on how things were going - it was great having the support to go home to! Sometimes I would meet other volunteers in town for the afternoon - there were always projects to work on and supplies to buy at one of our placements! Nights at the house usually involved sitting around outside with my housemates or going out to dinner a few times a week to try new local places and get a feel for the city.

Megan and students at Cheti school where she donated new bathrooms
    Megan and students at Cheti school where she donated new bathrooms

What made this volunteer abroad experience unique and special?

Megan: It was special because I went there knowing nobody on the entire continent and left with family. I lived with and met so many great people, was challenged, and was able to make a visible difference in the lives of my students. There were always people at the house who wanted to travel and explore, so each weekend there was a new adventure to go on - anything from waterfall hikes in the mountains to safaris to beach holidays. Trying to describe the experience is nearly impossible, which has just made me hold on that much tighter to the memories and the friendships from the trip.

I think it says a lot that 7 of the people I lived with are going back this summer and many end up returning after their first trip - I know that I plan to return as soon as I can! The culture is so unique and the people want to share their lives and culture with you, so if you go into it with an open mind and open heart, the experience can be life changing.

Explore Tanzania as you volunteer with IVHQ
    Explore Tanzania as you volunteer with IVHQ

How has this experience impacted your future?

Megan: I hope to return to Tanzania again in a year (two years after originally having gone) and would love to keep it as a place I return home to every few years. I've remained involved with a non-profit organization I got involved with while teaching there (Cheti Sponsorship Program) and am now proudly sponsoring the education of a former student to get her through primary school.

I've also decided that as I continue my travels throughout my life, I want to do it as much as possible through volunteering. The experience of spending 3 months in a place and living in the culture is so much more rewarding and powerful than being a tourist jumping from country to country.

Professionally, I got experience teaching a classroom all on my own (no resources, no supervisors, language barriers, etc) before going into student teaching my last year of college - it made me so much more confident being in a modern American classroom - I had resources and advisers and anything I could possibly need! I also decided I wanted to teach abroad for a few years and am now signed on to teach in El Salvador following graduation. I'm so excited for the next adventure, but it would have never been something I would have felt like I could do without having this previous experience in Tanzania.

Staff Interviews

• What is your role at IVHQ? What inspired you to join them?

Carol: I am the in-country Communications Manager for the IVHQ Tanzania program. This means that I am in charge of queries via email and phone from all our potential, current and future volunteers. I coordinate all volunteer logistics, run orientations, be the point of contact for all volunteers in country, etc.

My older brother participated in IVHQ's Tanzania program prior and then had the job that I have now and he inspired me to go and volunteer and see what the program was all about!

What do you enjoy most as far as your role?

Carol: I enjoy meeting people from all over the world! Each and every volunteer has something to contribute and a unique perspective. Watching them find a niche in a place that has become so important to me personally is a truly wonderful and rewarding experience.

What is your favorite story of a volunteer's experience with IVHQ in Tanzania?

Carol: One of my favorite stories about a volunteer happened a few months ago. A current placement that we send volunteers to was found by a volunteer. He was walking near his own placement one day and saw a sign for an orphanage that he was unfamiliar with. He went in and met the director and all of the children. This volunteer was inspired by the director and how hard he worked for these children and spoke to me about using it as a placement. He then motivated current volunteers to go check it out and to begin volunteering there! It's one of our farthest placements we have from our living accommodations but every volunteer that has been placed there just loves it. It's a special place and we're happy that our volunteer stumbled upon it.

What should every volunteer considering Tanzania know?

Carol: People in Tanzania are very friendly and welcoming. You will hear a 'Hello, how are you?' (in English or in Swahili) from a stranger much more often than you do back home. As a foreigner the local people are just as interested in you and your culture as you are interested in theirs. Don't be intimidated - just be friendly and give a friendly smile and a 'Hello' back- it will go a long way in getting to know new people!

What tips/insights do you have for first-time volunteers abroad?

Carol: For first-time volunteers my advice is simple: expect the unexpected! Going abroad to volunteer for the first time can be overwhelming- it's all part of the experience! Challenges equal rewards. We do our best to support all of our volunteers in-country and will never have you live or volunteer by yourself - you'll always be in good company. So just relax and take each day as it comes - you'll be challenged in many ways but learn, experience, and grow in such amazing and positive ways.

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 30 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Bali, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Transylvania, Italy and Fiji!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.