Affordable Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

By IVHQ Reviewer Verified   Reviews (18)   96% Rating

Volunteer in Tanzania with IVHQ! With diverse NGO partnerships in Tanzania, IVHQ is able to offer a variety of highly affordable volunteer programs in Tanzania. A diversity of volunteer programs are available for volunteers, including teaching, childcare work and medical programs. Volunteers are free to join to the program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months, giving you flexibility to plan your volunteer vacation, gap year, or career break.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Tanzania:

• Teaching
  • Childcare Work
  • HIV/AIDS Support
  • Medical Placement: Healthcare facilities aren't readily accessible for many Tanzanians, and this IVHQ volunteer program helps bridge this gap by placing medical volunteers in villages and townships where they are needed the most.

• Volunteer programs in Tanzania can be joined anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in Tanzania start on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Last year, over 300 IVHQ volunteers joined projects in Tanzania, with numbers growing every year!
  • All volunteers receive a cultural and language orientation upon arrival
  • Volunteers will either stay with a host-family or a volunteer house depending on placement.
  • Join other volunteers or explore Tanzania on your own during your free time!
  • Learn more about IVHQ programs by reading the great reviews and interviews IVHQ alumni have left about their incredible experiences in Tanzania
View Program Information
Home-stay
Volunteer House
Application:
Age Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Nicholas
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Victoria University of Wellington
    My Tanzanian Adventure 2015
    01/24/2016

Every beginning is tough. I headed for Tanzania with time on hand, an open mind, a craving for new experiences and a desire to contribute where I can.

I could tell you about my time as a volunteer teacher for a third grade class at an orphanage in Arusha, Tanzania; I could talk about my majestic journey on safari in the Serengeti; or I could tell the tale of how I struggled to haul my arse (excuse my french) up Mt Kilimanjaro for 6 days. But you would probably find similar stories from others. I'm going to talk about the unique experience I made being part of the volunteer house, Twiga house (Swahili for giraffe) in Arusha.

When I first got to the Twiga house, everyone was sick with food poisoning and a water-born parasite known as Amebas, lying spread across the living room watching 50 shades of grey. Yes, I know. It was a pretty picture. I was one of only 4 boys in the house and for me that was great, since there was about 13 girls there. Oh yeah.

After settling in to the house in the following days, everyone started to recover and gain some spirit. What I noticed straight away, was that this group was very much like a family and the dynamics were very open with individuals from all over the world. I started to bond with the group. A girl caught my eye and we hit it off from the start, despite her spending most of her days sick, crying on the toilet from sheer desperation and sickness. Oh yeah.

The next few weeks, as I fell in love with the country of Tanzania the individuals in the house and a young girl, I began to change my views on life and what matters most to me. The longer I removed myself from the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life back home, the more I felt free from the shackles of western society. I began to believe in people making a difference. Seeing kids smile even though they have absolutely nothing to hold onto in their lives gave me a sense of hope. It not only changed my perspectives but opened me up to grow as an individual.

Having spent nine weeks in Tanzania, I left with no money in my pocket, my mind blown from the unique experience, a growing thirst for further travel and a one-way plane ticket to my new girlfriend in Canada, whom I met in Tanzania. Oh yeah, you guessed it. That sick girl who spent our first three days on the toilet. She's a keeper.

How could this program be improved?

The food. It became to repetitive after a while on a scheduled weekly cycle.

Photos:
    The Twiga house family all together. I'm in the back right.
    Climbed Kili with a couple volunteers. Had to sneak that one in.
    Useful 1 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Nicholas, Wow, you had quite the volunteer experience! We are glad that your time in Tanzania was such a positive one. It's incredible where life can take you and we wish you and your girlfriend all the best in Canada. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Gregorio
    Florence, New Jersey
    The College of New Jersey
    Learning & Living in Tanzania
    01/23/2016

While taking the Dala to my volunteer placement, The Charity School, I was looking out the window to see something that would summarize Tanzania in a nut-shell. I saw a man running to help a women and her young child carry their bags/groceries. Every one in Tanzania was happy, smiling, and would go out of their way to say hello. The atmosphere, the culture, is one that emphasizes togetherness, collective, and sharing.

How could this program be improved?

Transportation for the volunteers. There are drivers who work for IVHQ & TVE but we still had to pay for each ride. Although each ride was not expensive, the amount did add up to a lot; as we needed to utilize the drives 3-4 times a week.

Morning commute to The Charity School
    Last day with kids at Charity School
    Class picture
    Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2016

Hi Gregorio, It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to share a little from your experience in Tanzania. Great photos! We hope to have you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

• Breanne
    Canada
    University of Guelph
    Best decision I've ever made
    12/17/2015

I would head back right this moment if I could. While in Tanzania I met the most incredible people, every day was a new adventure. I think about the children and the other volunteers that I met almost everyday. One weekend we went to the hot springs, on our way our "tuk tuk" got stuck in the mud various times and popped a few tires (to say the least), so we had to stop off in a near by village for a while. During our stay we conversed with locals, played with the kids, and forgot about the fact that we were headed somewhere. The entire trip was so inspiring and enjoyable that it made me want to run on "Africa time" forever!

How could this program be improved?

- More variety with the food available
    - Employee "Jimmy" as a TVE driver
    - Ensure that placements are actually in need of volunteers (while I was in Tanzania I was placed at testimony school, there were days where the teachers did not need us, so we would travel to other placements)

• Stephanie
    Ottawa, Ontario
    University of Ottawa
    Trip of a Lifetime
    12/04/2015

When I first decided to begin my travels abroad, I dove right in and chose to go to Tanzania, Africa. Thanks to the endless support from the staff (both local and international) this trip was easily the most memorable period in my life. My work in a rural preschool felt valued by the local teachers and the children were thrilled and eager to learn everyday. I also met some lifelong friends, which always makes travel and volunteering an even more exciting experience.

Anybody looking for a once in a lifetime trip, check out IVHQ!

New friends
    Maasai Village
    Night on the Town
    Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/25/2016

Hi Stephanie, It's great to hear from you! Thanks for sharing a little about your experience in Tanzania. We are so glad to hear that you felt well prepared and supported for this trip by IVHQ and our team in Tanzania. Great photos :) We hope to see you on another program again soon.

• Rafal
    Age: 18 or younger
    Szczecin, Poland
    Living my Tanzanian dream!
    11/11/2015

Tanzania - more than ten thousand miles from my home, more than 12 hours spent on the plane, more than 60 days of preparation. Having safely come back to Poland, it still overwhelms me that I had a chance to do exactly what I love to do in a country that turned out to be my second home. Winston Churchill once said that "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" and he was so right! Anachronistic as it may sound, his mantra has been resonating down the years and has been of such a special meaning for me that it enabled me to live my Tanzanian dream!

Ever since I launched my interest in travelling to Tanzania, I have been very impressed how well IVHQ's website works. Thanks to a very detailed description of available programmes I never had any doubts that taking part in AIDS/HIV programme was the best possible decision. A brief explanation of volunteer week, accommodation and meals gave me a general idea of what to expect upon coming to Tanzania. A thorough and elaborate explanation of what to take with me calmed my parents who were more than apprehensive when I made my way to Africa for the first time in my life! Had I not read it before my trip, I wouldn't have been aware of visa and work permit costs or general vaccination tips.

But the best part of living in Arusha was getting to know people from diverse backgrounds, different cultures and countless races and ethnicities. I felt best when exposed to the vibrancy and diversities of points of views and perspectives and it really gave me power to act. Every day I happily walked to work at my placement where I could see how much women suffering from HIV virus struggle in Tanzania. Even though they had nothing, they were still more than willing to do everything to spread love and make me - a 18-year-old Pole - feel like home.

On the way down the dirt road near my placement, a lot of kids were running out of their small huts yelling 'Teacher Rafal, Teacher Rafal' and went on to hold my hand and say how thankful they were for fixing them a simple cup of porridge earlier that morning. Everywhere I looked, I would hear local people asking 'Mambo rafiki?', which helped me to settle down in Tanzania in a matter of 3 days. I am more than convinced that all volunteers coming to this country should do a little research on Swahili and arrive with a massive smile on their faces as Tanzanian people are one of the most benevolent nations I have ever seen!

To prove my point, I still do not know how to express my sheer gratitude to Nelly and Angella (Tanzania Volunteering Experience directors) who helped me cancel my flight tickets to Zanzibar after political riots broke up there following presidential elections. Having found out about my upcoming trip to Zanzibar, Nelly called me directly to tell me I should avoid travelling and remain in Arusha. The following day Angella took me in her own car to Arusha Airport where I managed to persuade one of the Coastal Aviation agents to cancel my ticket and received 100% refund. Nelly and Angella did something I would have never expected them to do and that is why I am immensely grateful for their help. They became good friends and made me feel important and wanted as a volunteer.

Tanzania has helped to make me who I am now, opened my eyes to the world, given me extreme opportunity to explore the world, meet new people and involve in the community. I lived there for a strong purpose and that is why hard work was a necessity - a necessity that reinforced the belief that I should walk through my life with a smile on my face. Now I am more than ready to follow my plans to pursue a professional career at university. But then again, I want to come back next year to live my Tanzanian dream again!

Asante sana!

How could this program be improved?

I reckon that the new Communication Manager who recently took over should be more concerned about what is going at home stays. Throughout my 3-week stay she did not pay a single visit to Mama Lis, which, I think, should have been one of her responsibilities.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    02/22/2016

Hi Rafal, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience volunteering in Tanzania. We are so glad you had such a meaningful and memorable experience which was made easier by the support of the local team. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we are looking forward to welcoming you back this year.

• Shai
    Israel
    Amazing!!
    10/22/2015

I had the best time! I really changed and expirienced amazing things,met new friends and lerned so much! I came alone an 18 year old girl to Africa!
    My father came visit me there and I took him to my rogram and my house and it was such an amazing exirience and bonding ;)

How could this program be improved?

I really had the erfect exirience! all the amazing staff and people I really only have good things to say

Photos:
    The simba volunteer house! My family
    My beautiful kids <3
    Video:
    A little bit of my adventure in Tanzania
    A little bit of my adventure in Tanzania
    Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    12/15/2015

Hi there Shai,
    Thanks for your awesome review and photos, we are so glad that you had an amazing experience in Tanzania! We hope to see you on another IVHQ program soon!

• Julianne
    Moraga, California
    Elon University
    IVHQ Tanzania
    08/26/2015

IVHQ's partnership with Tanzania Volunteer Experience (TVE) combines an internationally successful volunteer program with a local agency that allows volunteers to immerse themselves in Tanzanian culture, impact local medical agencies, schools, or orphanages, and meet other volunteers in the process. I loved TVE's connections with local tourism agencies, making it easy to plan weekend excursions such as safaris, trips to Moshi (to visit the base of Kilimanjaro, a coffee plantation, a waterfall, and hot springs) or even a trip to Zanzibar! Lodging with TVE at Simba House (one of two volunteer houses) allowed me to interact with locals every day, including our house manager and program directors, to try local foods at each meal, and to make friends that will last a lifetime. Volunteering with TVE ensures that one can experience Tanzania without feeling like a tourist - volunteers have the opportunity to immerse themselves as much or as little as desired. Volunteers have the opportunity to take a lot of responsibility at placements, and during my time teaching English, these responsibilities including planning lessons, refurbishing the school by painting a mural, interacting with staff, and of course, teaching and playing with the students! I would highly recommend this program to anyone with a specific interest in Tanzania, or to someone who wants to visit Africa but doesn't know where to begin. Tanzania has SO much to offer, and volunteering with TVE allows you to experience as much of the wonders of this country as possible.

How could this program be improved?

There are many different volunteer placements available through TVE, and I think it may be valuable to provide the option of a rotating placement, so that volunteers can experience many different agencies. For volunteers who are staying a few months (or longer), this may be very helpful in finding a long-term placement that is the right fit.

Safari Day One - Lake Manyara
    The Rock Restaurant in Zanzibar
    Doing the Hokey Pokey with students at placement!
    Useful 1 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    10/14/2015

Hi Julianne, thanks for the recommendation and for posting the photos! We are so glad that you loved the program in Tanzania and made life long friendships. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

• Julia
    Wellington, New Zealand
    IVHQ Tanzania - Teaching
    08/10/2015

For long time i have seen images of Africa on television and always asked myself if i would ever be able to go there one day and help their community somehow.
    Through IVHQ i had the opportunity to live a real volunteer experience in Arusha, in Tanzania for 9 weeks this year.
    I worked in an orphanage called Women's Christian where i had an unforgettable time teaching basic english to 20 lovely kids aged 2 to 14 years old. I was there every morning to teach them and I ended up learning from them as well. We had a lot of good and fun moments together, the only sad time was saying goodbye in my last day.
    In these 9 weeks I stayed in one of the volunteers houses in Arusha which had nice and big rooms, good food, a helpful staff, and was perfect to make new friends. I culturally grew up a lot by living with people from all of the world during this time. It was nice to have met so many people and be involved in different projects with them.
    I have no words to describe how much this program changed my life, my acts, and my thoughts. It is not always easy, each day was a new challenge and at the end of all i feel completely blessed for have lived all that.

Women's Christian Orphanage
    The day i brought my laptop to the orphanage and we watched 'Frozen'. The kids loved it!
    Useful 0 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    10/14/2015

Hey Julia, It's great to hear from you! It sounds like you had a really incredible experience. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your photos. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program again soon.

• Linus
    Age: 31-50
    Hong Kong
    Amazing experience!
    04/14/2015

That was amazing. I volunteer in an orphanage with around 15 kids, they are very cheerful and energetic, but living in very bad condition. We played games with them and taught them simple English songs, and all of us enjoyed some much there.
    The support of IVHQ prior the program was very systematic, with very helpful online consultation. The local NGO got very friendly staffs.
    We lived out of town but it was safe in our house, although sometimes there is no power which I understand, it's Africa.
    It's always better to go and understand the real need of the world then just to donate.

How could this program be improved?

The language class in orientation could be better, provide some more useful daily words, but not just learning like colors and numbers.

Useful 0 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015

Hi Linus, Thanks for feedback and for the photos of your volunteer placement in Tanzania. It looks like you had a great experience. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!

• Paola
    Curitiba, Brasil
    Best Experience Ever
    02/17/2015

Its hard to describe with words the best experience of my life. I didnt think i would learn and have so much fun at the same time. I found IVHQ because its really the cheapest company and I couldnt be happier with my choice. I went to Tanzania for the medical placement and end up helping at a health center and living at a volunteer house with awesome people. I learned about new diseases, helped doctors and also visited orphanages with so many cute kids. I recommend IVHQ and Tanzania with no doubt.

Photos:
    Kids at the maasai village
    Useful 1 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015

Hi Paola, IVHQ offers the world's most affordable volunteer programs and we are glad that this meant you were able to visit Tanzania and volunteer on our medical project. Thanks for the recommendation and we hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

• Natalia
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Massey University
    My Tanzanian Experience
    02/16/2015

My two months in Tanzania were two of the best months of my life. I had the most amazing time and met some fantastic people. Learned about a completely different culture and pushed out of my comfort zone.

My day to day consisted of waking up going and catching the dala to placement- this being an experience in itself with the sheer amount of people they would jam in the dala. There would also be the odd chicken on a persons lap or a goat in the boot.

Once at placement I would help with teaching the kids by either taking lessons or working 1 on 1 with kids to help them understand what the teacher is teaching. The kids would then get porridge and play time until lunch. I would also help with doing dishes.

Placement tended to finish around 1 or 2 after the kids had lunch. Then u would head home or into town.

The volunteer house was great we were living with roughly 20 people at a time, it was a fun social environment which always had something going on! The friends I made here will be friends il hold on to for life.

The house mamas were great, we always had heaps of delicious food around and they were always friendly! Our house managers were the same so friendly and helpful if you needed anything, there was not a time I didn't feel comfortable approaching them.

Some highlights from my trip were safari - it was amazing, just seeing all the animals in their natural habitat was fantastic! And also Zanzibar with all my friends was a really fun trip!

I wouldn't change my experience in Tanzania for anything. I fell in love with the country, the culture, the kids at my placement and everyone else in between. Highly recommend giving it a go!

How could this program be improved?

Shorter orientation is the first thing that comes to mind. It's a little thing but it was painfully long.

Photos:
    The girls playing dress up
    The kids working in class
    Useful 2 Inspiring 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015

Hi Natalia, It is great to hear from you and to read a little about your volunteer experience on our Teaching project in Tanzania. It definitely sounds like you had a great volunteer travel experience. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!

• Mackenzie
    Oklahoma
    Tanzania IVHQ
    11/04/2014

Ivhq was a great program. I stayed in a volunteer house with about 20 other people. It was great to meet people from other countries around the world. My daily activities included waking up in the morning and taking a dala to my orphanage placement. I helped serve porridge and played with the kids. I also helped some with the teaching. My afternoon/evening activities included going into town for restaurants and wifi.

How could this program be improved?

I think the staff needed better communication. They were super nice and happy to help, but at orientation they told you what was going on and just kind of left it up to you to figure out the details.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
    Response from IVHQ
    11/11/2014

Hi Mackenzie, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your volunteer abroad experience on the Childcare project in Tanzania. We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

• precious1ne
    London, UK
    University of London
    Best Summer of my life
    04/24/2012

I went alone and was really nervous to fly by myself for the first time and meeting everyone already there in the volunteer house, but I had nothing to worry about. The staff, cooks and other volunteers were amazing and I formed some great friendships till this day. I enjoyed experiencing the local culture, meeting new people, trying new things, picking up some Swahili and enjoyed every single second of my placement. I loved the balance between independence and the comfort of feeling like you were part of a big family.
    My days at the orphanage consisted of some teaching, marking, playing with the kids at break, reading and doing some smaller group activities and also helping to prepare lunch. Spending time with the kids was amazing, getting to know them individually was priceless.
    Downside-I didn't spend enough time there!! That's why I'm going back again in a few months! Nakupenda Mtanzania!

• Melvin
    Mexico City
    My experience in Tanzania
    04/15/2012

I'll start by writting that I really enjoy my stay in Tanzania. It was maybe one of best experiences I've ever had.

At first it was hard because I had to help in a school for blind children and with no experience at all I thought I would have been so hard. But as days gone by I felt more and more confident with the whole situation. The teachers really hepl us, first they thought us braile so that we could communicate with the children. SO, it was definatelly a different and amazing experience. Although some days seems like we weren't doing anything (because the lenguage barrier and them being blind was difficult) after month has gone by we were really connected with the children. Really amazing.

The staff was amazing, they helped us since day 1 when they pick us up at the airpodrt. They helped us with the papers and accomodations and pretty much everything. We could always relly on them when we had troubles and they move to make our stay as confortable as possible. I didn't really expect a nice bed and meals, but even though I was in the countryside with a family I stay in a !nice house with 8 other volunteers and there was always food for us, so I never worry about that.

There were some fears about staying in Arusha but I really felt safe all the time eventhough me and other volunteer had to travel for an hour and a half to get to the school. The local people were always vey nice, sometimes they bother you trying to sell you stuff but once you go passs that I think the city otself is very safe (if you take the proper precautions of course).

Bottom line is you should definatelly try volunteering here.

• ShannonF555
    Oakland, California
    Supportive staff that foster wonderful community partnerships!
    03/27/2012

From the moment that IVHQ's partner in Tanzania (TVE)came to pick me up, I knew it was going to be a good program. The airline brought us to the wrong airport (eek!) but they drove 45 minutes across the city to get me anyways. I felt well supported during my stay, always very safe. I never had any problems, but I felt as if someone would be there to support me if I ever did. A person from IVHQ was there checking in on the program while I was there, that made me feel really good knowing that they keep in contact with all their sites. It was so much fun, and a life changing experience as well- a combination of tourism, travel, volunteer that went as it did because of the quality of the program and staff. I would recommend this program to everyone from those who are seasoned travelers to those who have never left home. You will feel right at home either way.

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 32 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Bali, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Fiji, Romania, Italy, Spain and Portugal!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.

Staff Interviews

Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.