Affordable Volunteer Programs in Tanzania from $270

By IVHQ   Reviews (11)   93% Rating

Volunteer in Tanzania with IVHQ! With diverse NGO partnerships in Tanzania, IVHQ is able to offer a variety of highly affordable volunteer programs in Tanzania. A diversity of volunteer programs are available for volunteers, including teaching, childcare work and medical programs. Volunteers are free to join to the program anywhere from 1 week to 6 months, giving you flexibility to plan your volunteer vacation, gap year, or career break.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Tanzania:

• Teaching
  • Childcare Work
  • HIV/AIDS Support
  • Medical Placement: Healthcare facilities aren't readily accessible for many Tanzanians, and this IVHQ volunteer program helps bridge this gap by placing medical volunteers in villages and townships where they are needed the most.

• Volunteer programs in Tanzania can be joined anywhere from 1 week to 6 months
  • Programs in Tanzania start on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Last year, over 300 IVHQ volunteers joined projects in Tanzania, with numbers growing every year!
  • All volunteers receive a cultural and language orientation upon arrival
  • Volunteers will either stay with a host-family or a volunteer house depending on placement.
  • Join other volunteers or explore Tanzania on your own during your free time!
  • Learn more about IVHQ programs by reading the great reviews and interviews IVHQ alumni have left about their incredible experiences in Tanzania

Program Info

Age: 31-50
    Hong Kong
    Amazing experience!
    04/14/2015

That was amazing. I volunteer in an orphanage with around 15 kids, they are very cheerful and energetic, but living in very bad condition. We played games with them and taught them simple English songs, and all of us enjoyed some much there.
    The support of IVHQ prior the program was very systematic, with very helpful online consultation. The local NGO got very friendly staffs.
    We lived out of town but it was safe in our house, although sometimes there is no power which I understand, it's Africa.
    It's always better to go and understand the real need of the world then just to donate.

How could this program be improved?

The language class in orientation could be better, provide some more useful daily words, but not just learning like colors and numbers.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    06/10/2015
    Hi Linus, Thanks for feedback and for the photos of your volunteer placement in Tanzania. It looks like you had a great experience. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!
  • Paola
    Curitiba, Brasil
    Best Experience Ever
    02/17/2015

Its hard to describe with words the best experience of my life. I didnt think i would learn and have so much fun at the same time. I found IVHQ because its really the cheapest company and I couldnt be happier with my choice. I went to Tanzania for the medical placement and end up helping at a health center and living at a volunteer house with awesome people. I learned about new diseases, helped doctors and also visited orphanages with so many cute kids. I recommend IVHQ and Tanzania with no doubt.

Photos:
    Kids at the maasai village
    Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015
    Hi Paola, IVHQ offers the world's most affordable volunteer programs and we are glad that this meant you were able to visit Tanzania and volunteer on our medical project. Thanks for the recommendation and we hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.
  • Natalia
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Massey University
    My Tanzanian Experience
    02/16/2015

My two months in Tanzania were two of the best months of my life. I had the most amazing time and met some fantastic people. Learned about a completely different culture and pushed out of my comfort zone.

My day to day consisted of waking up going and catching the dala to placement- this being an experience in itself with the sheer amount of people they would jam in the dala. There would also be the odd chicken on a persons lap or a goat in the boot.

Once at placement I would help with teaching the kids by either taking lessons or working 1 on 1 with kids to help them understand what the teacher is teaching. The kids would then get porridge and play time until lunch. I would also help with doing dishes.

Placement tended to finish around 1 or 2 after the kids had lunch. Then u would head home or into town.

The volunteer house was great we were living with roughly 20 people at a time, it was a fun social environment which always had something going on! The friends I made here will be friends il hold on to for life.

The house mamas were great, we always had heaps of delicious food around and they were always friendly! Our house managers were the same so friendly and helpful if you needed anything, there was not a time I didn't feel comfortable approaching them.

Some highlights from my trip were safari - it was amazing, just seeing all the animals in their natural habitat was fantastic! And also Zanzibar with all my friends was a really fun trip!

I wouldn't change my experience in Tanzania for anything. I fell in love with the country, the culture, the kids at my placement and everyone else in between. Highly recommend giving it a go!

How could this program be improved?

Shorter orientation is the first thing that comes to mind. It's a little thing but it was painfully long.

Photos:
    The girls playing dress up
    The kids working in class
    Useful: 1 Inspiring: 1
    Response from IVHQ
    02/19/2015
    Hi Natalia, It is great to hear from you and to read a little about your volunteer experience on our Teaching project in Tanzania. It definitely sounds like you had a great volunteer travel experience. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!
  • Mackenzie
    Oklahoma
    Tanzania IVHQ
    11/04/2014

Ivhq was a great program. I stayed in a volunteer house with about 20 other people. It was great to meet people from other countries around the world. My daily activities included waking up in the morning and taking a dala to my orphanage placement. I helped serve porridge and played with the kids. I also helped some with the teaching. My afternoon/evening activities included going into town for restaurants and wifi.

How could this program be improved?

I think the staff needed better communication. They were super nice and happy to help, but at orientation they told you what was going on and just kind of left it up to you to figure out the details.

Useful: 0 Inspiring: 0
    Response from IVHQ
    11/11/2014
    Hi Mackenzie, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your volunteer abroad experience on the Childcare project in Tanzania. We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future.
  • precious1ne
    London, UK
    University of London
    Best Summer of my life
    04/24/2012

I went alone and was really nervous to fly by myself for the first time and meeting everyone already there in the volunteer house, but I had nothing to worry about. The staff, cooks and other volunteers were amazing and I formed some great friendships till this day. I enjoyed experiencing the local culture, meeting new people, trying new things, picking up some Swahili and enjoyed every single second of my placement. I loved the balance between independence and the comfort of feeling like you were part of a big family.
    My days at the orphanage consisted of some teaching, marking, playing with the kids at break, reading and doing some smaller group activities and also helping to prepare lunch. Spending time with the kids was amazing, getting to know them individually was priceless.
    Downside-I didn't spend enough time there!! That's why I'm going back again in a few months! Nakupenda Mtanzania!

• Melvin
    Mexico City
    My experience in Tanzania
    04/15/2012

I'll start by writting that I really enjoy my stay in Tanzania. It was maybe one of best experiences I've ever had.

At first it was hard because I had to help in a school for blind children and with no experience at all I thought I would have been so hard. But as days gone by I felt more and more confident with the whole situation. The teachers really hepl us, first they thought us braile so that we could communicate with the children. SO, it was definatelly a different and amazing experience. Although some days seems like we weren't doing anything (because the lenguage barrier and them being blind was difficult) after month has gone by we were really connected with the children. Really amazing.

The staff was amazing, they helped us since day 1 when they pick us up at the airpodrt. They helped us with the papers and accomodations and pretty much everything. We could always relly on them when we had troubles and they move to make our stay as confortable as possible. I didn't really expect a nice bed and meals, but even though I was in the countryside with a family I stay in a !nice house with 8 other volunteers and there was always food for us, so I never worry about that.

There were some fears about staying in Arusha but I really felt safe all the time eventhough me and other volunteer had to travel for an hour and a half to get to the school. The local people were always vey nice, sometimes they bother you trying to sell you stuff but once you go passs that I think the city otself is very safe (if you take the proper precautions of course).

Bottom line is you should definatelly try volunteering here.

• ShannonF555
    Oakland, California
    Supportive staff that foster wonderful community partnerships!
    03/27/2012

From the moment that IVHQ's partner in Tanzania (TVE)came to pick me up, I knew it was going to be a good program. The airline brought us to the wrong airport (eek!) but they drove 45 minutes across the city to get me anyways. I felt well supported during my stay, always very safe. I never had any problems, but I felt as if someone would be there to support me if I ever did. A person from IVHQ was there checking in on the program while I was there, that made me feel really good knowing that they keep in contact with all their sites. It was so much fun, and a life changing experience as well- a combination of tourism, travel, volunteer that went as it did because of the quality of the program and staff. I would recommend this program to everyone from those who are seasoned travelers to those who have never left home. You will feel right at home either way.

• Rhi
    Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
    Best experience EVER!!!!!
    03/22/2012

This progam was the most exciting and rewarding time of my life. I couldnt of asked for a better placement not to mention the suport from the IVHQ staff. I not only leaned alot about the Arusha community but i also learned so much about myself. The biggest highlight would be how amazing and smart the kids are. They are the most beautiful little creatures i have ever met. Cant wait to get back over there again and catch up with everyone :)

• mlorene
    Mount Vernon, Iowa
    IVHQ Tanzania - Teaching Placement
    03/22/2012

Hands down the most important experience of my life. It is difficult to verbalize, but living and teaching in Tanzania is life changing. The people are incredible and although the slow-paced life takes some getting used to, it has a charm to it. The program is a great way to not only immerse yourself in the culture and community (whether through a homestay or at the volunteer house) but also a wonderful way to meet other young people who have similar interests as you from all over the world. There are also tons of people to travel with on weekend trips, safaris, longer vacations to Zanzibar, or to show you around town when you are new. The people and children you work with and for will capture your heart as well. I went to Africa knowing nobody, and left 3 months later feeling like I was leaving home and leaving family. It is a country that has lots of love to give and the people can use all of the help and support they can get - totally worth your time, money, and effort. There is nowhere else in the world I want to go more than I want to go back to Tanzania.

Useful: 1 Inspiring: 0
  • theroserette
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Carleton University
    Orphange and Teaching Work 2010
    03/21/2012

I went to Tanzania with IVHQ in 2010 and had an amazing time! I worked in an orphanage for 6 weeks and then a school for 6 weeks. Both were very welcoming atmospheres and I loved working there. I still get updates from volunteers that are back there now. The people I lived with, people I worked with, and the locals I met there were all very friendly. I loved volunteering with IVHQ so I'm going again. Hopefully I'll see you all there!

• Canadian91
    Abbotsford, British Columbia
    Gaining Valuable Experience
    03/08/2012

The school jumped onto the fact that my sister and I were bilingual in French and English. They immediately set up an extra class that began 1/2 an hour before the school usually started to ensure the children learned some French.
    Once we were done leading the French class, we would teach other classes such as Math and English. During their break time, we organize run sports and activities for them.
    Sometimes I felt like us being there was allowing the teachers to be lazy because they would often just sit in the office doing nothing as we taught. When I go back, I plan on working in the orphanage schools as it seemed the volunteers who worked there found it much more rewarding as they found they were making a difference.
    I still thoroughly enjoyed it though, and our work was worthwhile.

About the provider

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 30 countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities. Currently, IVHQ has programs in Bali, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, South Africa, Morocco, China, Nepal, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Victoria Falls, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Laos, the Philippines, Romania, Italy and Fiji!

Whether you're taking a volunteer vacation, a gap year, or on a career break, IVHQ has a wide variety of programs ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks to fit anyone's schedule. Browse through the programs below and visit the IVHQ website for more information.

Staff Interviews