Volunteer in Nepal with Volunteering Solutions

By Volunteering Solutions Reviewer Verified   Reviews (13)   98% Rating

Volunteer in Kathmandu, Nepal's capital city, with Volunteering Solutions! As one of the poorest nations with some of the world's most beautiful destinations, there are tons of ways for volunteers to help locals improve their communities. All projects offers volunteers the opportunity to take a week-long orientation and language course before working directly with local NGOs.

From a summer program, to a language program, to volunteer projects teaching English or working in an orphanage, there are plenty of options to volunteer in Nepal. Visit the Volunteering Solutions website to learn more about these exciting projects!

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program - Kathmandu - Nepal!

View Program Information
Housing:
Home-stay
Application:
Age Requirement

Leave a question about this program for our reviewers to answer.
Account Info
Great question! I'm sure you'll want to know when you get an answer, so tell us your email and we'll let you know. If you've previously created an account you can login in here.

Positive
Leave a Review
  • Karley
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nepal
    03/24/2016

While in Nepal I got to work in a big children's hospital in Kathmandu. It was a great experience for me because I got to work alongside Nepalese doctors and residents. They took me in and taught me so much in the short time I was there. I got to see some very interesting and complex cases that I wouldn't otherwise see in the United States. I also got to see how doctors in Nepal practice medicine and compare and contrast my knowledge and experiences from America.

How could this program be improved?

I think it would be helpful if the doctors and residents would have been warned ahead of time that I was going to be joining them for a week. The first day I was there my team seemed confused. They didn't know who I was or why I was there. It also would have been helpful if they knew by skill level. Medical schools across the world are all different so they did not know how far along I was or what skills I knew.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Isabel
    Age: 51 or older
    San Pedro, CA
    San Diego State University
    Magical Nepal
    03/15/2016

My volunteer visit to Nepal was amazing! The people were friendly and welcoming, and the diverse landscape was amazing. The day I started my Language and Culture class, I looked out the window and asked my instructor if the mountains I saw in the distance got snow. She giggled and told me those weren't mountains, they were hills. She promised I'd see real mountains when we went into Kathmandu later in the day. As I walked over a bridge to get to Kathmandu Dubar Square, I looked towards the "hills" and saw beautiful white peaks behind them. I was amazed to see the mighty Himalayas!! Now, THOSE were mountains!
    Everywhere you look in Nepal is another treasure for the senses. The beautiful, ancient architecture marries beautifully with the chaos of the city. The hustle and bustle of everyday life contrasts sharply with the shrines that seem to be everywhere, yet at any given moment, one can hear the chiming of a bell that signifies someone has uttered a prayer. The spiritual and the corporal intertwine in a beautiful dance.
    If Kathmandu is the center of city life, then Pokhara is its quieter, gentler sister. The 8 hour bus ride to Pokhara treats the traveler to amazing agricultural landscapes. The road also follows a river, which is serene in some places and has tumbling rapids in others. Once in Pokhara, the lake is the main attraction. Calm and quiet, it gently beckons the traveler to take a boat ride and explore its many outlets. The highlight of my time there was seeing the rays of the rising sun shine on the snow capped peaks of the Anapurana mountain range. I am not eloquent enough to fully describe the beauty of that moment.
    Once back in Kathmandu, I spent a week at my assigned orphanage. The girls were wonderful! I learned so much from them! I only hope I made at least a small difference in their lives. These were sweet, beautiful girls with inquisitive minds. It was my privilege to serve them.
    I miss many things about my time in Nepal. I miss the chaos of the city, the beauty of the scenery, and the depth of the culture. However, the thing I miss the most is the warm and welcoming people.My life perception has been changed by the people I have met and by the extraordinary children I served. Friendships were made and sealed by fun and laughter. The world has become smaller and my mind has become broader by this amazing experience. NAMASTE!!

How could this program be improved?

I would have appreciated if someone from the program had met me inside the airport to help me with the visa / immigration process. It was a little confusing and overwhelming.

Useful 1 Inspiring 0
  • Neil
    Age: 18 or younger
    Montreal, Canada
    McGill University
    Medical Volunteering in Nepal
    12/29/2015

Volunteering Experience Feedback 2015

In July 2015, I enrolled in a volunteering trip to Nepal. The program that I signed up for was the medical volunteering program as I am a student currently studying physiology at McGill University.

Whilst I was nervous due to the earthquakes that preceded my trip, I was mentally motivated, determined to help make a change. The program set up by VolunteeringSolutions allowed me just that. I arrived and was picked up by the designated driver on time and was shown around the city on my way to the residence. I stayed with Miss Uma, who felt like a mother to me by the end of my experience. Her children, both adopted and not, felt like siblings and the hospitality was unforgettable. Daily her food made us feel like we were local residents of the community, and the humble accommodation showed us what life was truly like. Miss Uma was also extremely understanding of each individual's background and facilitated the processes of travelling throughout the country. She also assisted in establishing relations with the appropriate volunteering programs by dropping us there, introducing us to the appropriate people and setting up a proper plan for our stay.

The hospital that I volunteered at was Shahid Memorial Hospital. The walk to and fro the hospital was 25 minutes and provided me with time to take in my surroundings and prepare myself for the day. Once at the hospital, my duties varied. I had a schedule which changed between departments throughout the hospital ranging from the emergency room, the ICU, the general ward and the operating room. The tasks assigned were appropriate to my skill level; as I am still studying the profession and have not been exposed to appropriate hands on activity, the program allowed me to learn practical skills such as taking vitals and patient interaction as well as theoretical understanding by access to medical professionals. The most engaging and interesting experience throughout my time at the hospital was working with Dr. Deepak in the operating theater, he allowed us to assist on surgeries in ways that were appropriate for us, taught us how to scrub in and explained to us his procedure.

Furthermore, the city of Kathmandu was beautiful, there is so much to do in and around Kathmandu that allowed me to engage with the city and make me want to stay. There are cultural excursions to temples such as the 'Monkey Temple' and 'Pashupatinath', there is night life in the Thamel area which is always buzzing with life, there is beautiful nature and forestry surrounding the city and I truly felt connected to the people by interacting with them. The freedom in the program allows one to travel throughout the country, explore particular interests yet the schedule allows one to make a positive change.

I felt appropriately equipped as the handbook that was provided before the trip had prepped me well for the trip. However, the one suggestion that I had was keeping some more money than recommended as there are costs such as eating out, travelling around the country, activities and transport.

I strongly believe that the program that I was enrolled in taught me the practicalities of the medical industry in a developing nation, and throughout the facilitation of our host parent, I was able to interact with local orphanages, and specially-abled individuals' homes to help in as many ways as I could.

A beautiful product came out of the experience; friendships with people that I had never met before. In one room, we sat and had dinner representing over 10 nations who all got along and connected through a common goal of making a change and learning something new. I can positively say that I did just that and I had a lot of fun along the way!

I am definite on returning to VolunteeringSolutions to try and volunteer more and explore more of the programs available as I believe that I have developed as an individual and learnt to have a more positive impact on the global community.

Neil Tanna

How could this program be improved?

Having a little bit more variety in the food, and recommending to keep more money in the handbook!

Useful 1 Inspiring 1
  • Marwa
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Nepal on My Mind !
    12/17/2015

I had the chance to start my 2014 year in Nepal doing good!

It was my first experience in volunteering abroad, the children were amazing, our host house was perfect. The orphanage was chocking at first but we managed to spend time with the children trying to create some activities and help them out with their homework. The accommodation was very clean and very well equipped to host volunteers from different places n the world. Tt was extremely cold though, temperature was sometimes 0C at night.

overall it was a great experience getting to know local people and help as much as possible. I was fascinated with the level of spirituality in the country, people are so zen and helpful. My girlfriends and I were so happy with this holistic experience.

To volunteer; is to contribute your goodness and works to humanity unselfishly, without seeking any rewards. It was worth spending the holidays with these angels.

Photos:
    kids after schools at the orphanage.
    Thiis is Batiti
    coloring sessions with the kids at the orphanage.
  • Samantha
    Singapore
    Nepal isn't a scary place at all, post-earthquake.
    07/21/2015

Many people have the same thoughts or asked me the same first question when I told them I was in Nepal for 2 weeks. "Is it safe?" "How's the people there now?" To these questions, all I can say is this,"Nepal is an awesome place to be in, and a very safe one as well. No aftershocks felt by me in the 2 weeks I was there. The people are their usual friendly self. No chaos etc. Ultra safe." I would like to appeal to everyone to consider volunteering in Nepal, because they are one of the nicest bunch of citizens I've come across. Despite the 2 tragedies that struck their country, they carry on living their lives with dignity and pride. Their spirit is something we all should learn from, and to be able to help their society return back to normal was the greatest pleasure I had, knowing that I'm contributing to a strong and United country with the loveliest citizens.

How could this program be improved?

I am satisfied with whatever it is right now.

Photos:
    Witnessing surgeries was one of the highlights of my medicine volunteering trip in Nepal.
    With my elephant (I rode on it) at Chitwan National Park, Nepal.
  • Agostino
    Milan, Italy
    A valuable experience
    01/15/2015

I worked Monday trough Saturday in the Departments of General Surgery and Emergency Room of a Nepalese Community Hospital (Sahid Memorial Hospital). I had the opportunity to deepen my knowledge on various illnesses and clinical cases particularly present in Nepal (TB, meningitis, cellulitis, RTA etc...).
    I also spent some time in a male orphanage, helping in the maintenance of the orphanage facilities and in the education of the children.
    Thanks to this program I had the opportunity to really live with Nepalese people and to understand at least some aspect of Nepalese life and a lot concerning Nepalese Health Care System.

Useful 3 Inspiring 1
  • Gabriel
    Canada
    Université de Sherbrooke
    Nepal 2014
    09/17/2014

I loved my experience in Nepal this summer. I'll begin by telling you everything that I loved about your program:
    - The accomodation at Uma's house were simply perfect. So much better than what we expected.
    - The weekend activities were really easy and simple to organize. It helped us to be motivated by every weekend that were coming.
    - During our first week, we had a lot of problems with our program. Uma was really open and immediately reassures us and started to look for something else for us. Then, we really started to enjoy our experience.

There is also some aspects that can improve:
    - When we arrived at the airport, the guy that picked us up did not present himself. We were anxious and not sure if we were being kidnapped...ahaha.
    - Sometimes it takes too long to have an answer to our emails.

In general I really enjoy to travel with VS.

How could this program be improved?

Look to the section above.

Useful 4 Inspiring 1
  • Sam
    Milan
    Amazing time in Nepal
    09/13/2013

I liked the program placement very much. The kids were joy to work with and it was a very enriching experience for me and my fellow volunteers. The highlight of my volunteering experience was to live with a local host family and to learn Nepalese culture and way of living. Our home stay mother cooked extremely delicious food. The meals will be one of the things that I will miss terribly. The accommodation was very clean and had all the basic necessities. I enjoyed staying at the home stay.I will surely recommend this program to anyone.

Useful 1 Inspiring 1
  • Elena
    España
    Work during the week and fun in the weeknds
    09/04/2013

I really liked living with other volunteers so that you could have great moments with them during those times when you had nothing to do. Having free time after your work experience is great, for example, in the afternoon when we had nothing to do we could go sight seeing near our placement and be back in time for dinner, it would be great fun and it filled out our day splendidly.
    Eventhough everyone felt very safe in our volunteer house, the host family insisted in locking us in during the night. We didn't like that much since it meant that sometimes we were forced to stay in when we wanted to go to the corner shop (before the indicated time to be back home at night) or in the morning when you had to leave early and they still hadn't opened the gate. Perhaps they should rethink this strategy or leave a key within the house, so as to have a possibility of opening the gate in case we needed it.

How could this program be improved?

I know that we were trying to experience life as it is in Nepal and that to carry that experience out we had to adjust to their lifestyle. However, when where food was concerned I think it could have been a bit better. I don't mind having rice and potatoes everyday if that's what the host family has every day, but I had a feeling sometimes that they got more variation in their diet. I particularly missed having fresh fruit and vegetables. I could feel myself craving for it and we would end up buying fruits for ourselves.

• Lisa
    Amazing Nepal!
    04/17/2013

I recently finished my program in Kathmandu and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Nepal. The placement was next to the accommodation which was highly comfortable and new (also had Wi-Fi so I was in contact with my family during my entire stay of 3 weeks). I worked at orphanage placement and it was an exceptional experience and it was way beyond my imaginations.

I also celebrated Holi with local people and it was real fun. I have already talked about this experience to my friends and would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who is looking to go to Nepal.

How could this program be improved?

The meals were perfect and tasty but always Nepalese so may be add some western dishes as well.

• Shulay
    Singapore
    Ramro experience in Kathmandu!
    10/11/2012

I liked my program placement at the Amma ghar orphanage in Kathmandu. Uma and her family was very accommodating and friendly, they took care of the volunteers needs very much. The kids were all well brought up and assisted me with the chores/work. The highlight of my trip was the exposure of living and working with the children. The children are an adorable bunch and they brighten up my stay. I learned a lot from these kids daily activities (cleaning, playing, washing, studying) Also, I get to do some travel apart from the daily work which made my entire trip more fruitful.

The trip made me feel how lucky I was to have all the facilities in life, which these kids would consider a luxury. It has made me a better person and now I would not take things for granted.

Take part in the program you would not regret it.

none that I can think.

Useful 1 Inspiring 2
  • Hanna
    Lund
    a journey to nepal
    09/06/2012

The pre-departure booklet was very good. I had to change the duration of my stay but the staff at Volunteering Solutions helped me and there wasn't any problem with that. I enjoyed working at my program placement. The staff at the hospital was very helpful and made me feel very welcome. The highlight of my volunteering trip is that I met amazing and beautiful and lovely people from all over the world as well as the accommodation and meals were amazing and this was the best part. Uma and the kids at the orphanage were a treat to be with and I loved every bit of it!

Useful 0 Inspiring 1
  • Alessandra
    Rome
    excellent
    08/22/2012

The experience at the hospital was very useful, with most of the nurses and doctors willing to explain and let us try different procedures.
    Despite cleaning in the accommodation could be improved, we had a beautiful time there, either with the family either with the other volunteers.
    Kathmandu is a very safe city and we never had problems with the locals; it also offers nice surroundings to visit in your spare time.

• premdpat
    Boulder, CO
    University of Colorado- Boulder
    Amazing Experience
    07/31/2012

This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! The support staff in Nepal is unlike any I've ever seen and the things I saw and was able to do are things I will never forget.

About the provider

Volunteering Solutions started its operations in 2007 and has sent over 11500 volunteers abroad, and now has projects in more than 30 destinations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. Volunteering Solutions is dedicated to providing authentic, reasonably priced and meaningful volunteer programs around the world.

Volunteering Solutions aims to promote volunteer work in countries that need it the most by connecting the right people with the best projects abroad. With such a wide variety of projects around the world, there is sure to be something for everyone. At the end of the program, volunteers and interns are awarded with an internship or volunteer certificate.

Staff Interviews

• female headshot
    Country Director Nepal Programs
Already have an account? .
Password must be eight at least characters.
Don't have an account? Sign Up.