Volunteer in India | Most Affordable Projects Starting From $250

teach, BUDS, kids
teach, BUDS, kids
Childcare at Palampur
Childcare at Palampur

Volunteering Solutions provides the most affordable and meaningful programs in India. It's time for you to take a trip to this majestic country and indulge in doing something worthy for the underprivileged people living in this country. VolSol partners with local organizations and NGOs, and aims for sustainable development.

There are more than 10 different volunteering & internship programs available in India in the cities of New Delhi & Palampur. You can choose to volunteer with street children, or teach kids at slum schools, or intern under a professional doctor at a healthcare center. No matter which project you choose to be a part of, you'll get to learn a lot and gain experience. Explore the beauty of India, visit the several UNESCO World Heritage Sites including the Taj Mahal. In Palampur, we have introduced the Yoga & Volunteer Adventure Program, which would be a perfect choice for those who are keen to learn the art of Yoga & Meditation while volunteering with kids.

For dental students, Volunteering Solutions offers dental elective internship placements, where they will work with professional dentists. As with other Volunteering Solutions programs in India, this dental program has a 2-week duration, and it gives students hands-on as well as shadowing opportunities in a rural dental clinic setting. Check the Volunteering Solutions website to learn more!

Choose from Volunteering Solutions' Volunteering Programs in Delhi and Volunteering Programs in Palampur.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer and Travel Experience in India!

• Volunteer to make a difference and gain valuable work experience.
  • Explore India and travel to cities like Agra, Varanasi, Rishikesh, Jaipur etc.
  • Walk down the Himalayan trails & experience the thrill of trekking.
  • Get to know more about the country's history, culture, heritage & traditions.
  • Binge on the spicy Indian cuisine and let your taste buds feel the heat!

Hi Maggie, according to the Volunteering Solutions site, "The minimum age requirement for individual participants for most of our programs is 17 years old. Some programs also have a minimum age requirement of 18 years. We suggest you to visit the specific program destination page to check the minimum age requirement. However, volunteers below 17 years old and children can join the program if they...

Asha

Life Changing Experience In India

Going to India has always been a dream of mine, but whatever I dreamed couldn't come close to how amazing the actual experience was. The children I met through the program were so fun, smart, and full of life that going in every day with them was a treat. Honestly, as cliche as it sounds, I probably learned more from them than they did from me. Additionally, the trip to Agra and Jaipur was a blast with the other volunteers in the group. The tours were incredibly informative, and we had a great time seeing the cities (and eating the food). We always felt safe and ready with a number of things to do in Delhi, Jaipur, and Agra. As sad as I am to be leaving, I'm so happy that I visited India through this program and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Think of fun activities to do with the kids! Whether its games, songs, or fun ways to teach English, they get excited when you care!
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Thank you so much Asha for the wonderful review ! We're so pleased you had such an amazing experience in India =) We cannot wait to see you in the near future!

Joe

Street Children Project.

Initially I was a little confused given the title of the project 'Street Children' yet volunteering took place within an education environment with children who stayed in the slum. Despite this confusion, I wasn't left disappointed! The children's energy and eagerness to learn is evident in addition to the incredible memories created whilst dancing, singing, laughing and generally just being there!! Both the teaching staff (khushboo and bhavesh) and children make you feel incredibly welcome as do all the locals in the area! Accommodation is more than adequate as is the help and guidance shankar (our go to person) provides! He's also a pretty good cook also which is a bonus! All in all this is an experience to savour.... One which will most certainly repeated!!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I'd have to say the introduction to riding in an auto rickshaw through Delhi's highways.... You do however get use to it.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Joe,
Thanks for writing this wonderful review for the India Program. We are glad that you had a good time in Delhi and would definitely look to repeat the trip soon. We look forward to having you here in India again soon.

katie

the best way to see India!

I opted for the two week childcare and elephant programme. This has not been my first volunteer trip but it was the first one with VolSol and it has been my best experience so far.
The programme was the more expensive option but this included a city tour of Delhi, a visit to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and a two day trip to Jaipur. We also stayed in really nice hotels. Dheeraj even helped us get on the train and find our seats which we were grateful for as it was our first train experience here in India. I also added the optional trip to the Himalayas which I'm really looking forward to.
All the VolSol staff were so helpful and friendly, our safety was paramount to them. The accomodation was lovely and clean and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend VolSol to all my friends considering volunteering in future!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Be prepared for sitting in a car in India, it can be a bit overwhelming with all the beeping and erratic driving but you get used to it!
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hey Katie !
Thanks for posting a wonderful review for us. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful time in the Childcare and Elephant Experience in India with us. Everyone in the local team was happy to have you in India and we are glad that you were satisfied with the services of the local staff. Once again, thanks for joining our program and we look forward to having you in our program again soon :)

Rachel

Childcare and Elephant project review

I cannot thank the team enough for making my time in India so incredible and enjoyable.
I was initially due to attend a project in July but due to visa problems I was unable to do so. Sahil was a massive help when these problems occurred and was in constant communication with me to try and help sort my visa and provide alternative means of getting a visa. He also suggested an alternative trip somewhere else or the same trip at a different date. I elected for the later as I had my heart set on coming to India, I had to pay a small fee of 100 to transfer projects but apart from this all of my original payments were transferred over.

Once in Dehli the team were fabulous. Shankar and Dheeraj were both so friendly and welcoming. Shankar is an amazing cook and looked after us so well at the volunteer house. Dheeraj was a wonder guide in Dehli and provided an amazing sightseeing day filled with information and experiences. The team were always on hand to support us in any way we needed whilst we were in India.

The KNS was an amazing experience that I am so grateful to have been a part of even for just three days. The children's English was excellent and I was impressed by their skill and enthusiasm. the project also provided me with an insight into the poorer parts of the city and the children who lived there. The elephant volunteering in Agra was the experience of a lifetime and it was incredible to be able to be so close to the rescued elephant.

The tours in Agra and Jaipur were both also wonderful and filled with many lovely places to visit and facts to learn. Vising the Taj Mahal has been on my bucket list for years now and I am incredible happy to have now ticked that off the list thanks to this trip!

During my entire time in India and before there was constant support from the team and I always felt safe. I cannot recommend the company enough and I look forward to booking another adventure with them to explore somewhere new!

For me personally this programme was everything I was looking for and expected and cannot think of any suggestions at the moment.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Rachel,
Thank you so much, Tracy! 😊We're so pleased you had such an amazing time on our Childcare and Elephant Experience Program. We hope to see you again soon! It was a pleasure to have you in India with us :)

Parker

Beautiful experience in India

Joining Volunteer Solutions was a choice I'll never regret. Not only was their website the most user friendly compared to other organizations but their response time was superb.

You may be swayed away by negative reviews from past volunteers but I wouldn't worry about most of them. First off, you have to be very open minded and flexible when volunteering in India because the unpredictable can and will happen. For me, that's what made the experience an adventurous one whereas for others it may not appeal to them.

Before going to India, I highly recommend visiting another 3rd world country like Mexico to prepare yourself better. If not, then you may be in for a big surprise. India is a different world that's full of color, chaos, fun, joy, humility, and wonder. Therefore, be prepared for an experience of a lifetime that can be fully enjoyed when you're patient, energetic, and adaptable.

Seeing the monuments and taking pictures will definitely impress your friends on social media. However, the importance of that will fade away once you fully embrace the opportunity to serve the lovely children of India. They're so sweet and happy to be with volunteers. They can be crazy at times but you learn to love them on first sight and you'll develop relationships as if you were a close family.

Before you embark on this opportunity, here's two pieces of advice: First, don't overthink about whether or not you should go. Just go. It's worth it. Second, remember the children's names. Nothing makes them more happy than remembering their names, one by one. That's one of the best things you can do for them. Write them down if you must but make an effort to know their names and call them by their names.

Remember children's names, smile, greet everyone, and be the change you want to see in the world.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hello Parker,
Thanks for leaving us a detailed review. We appreciate that you liked our website as well as the customer service. It was indeed wonderful to have you in the program in Delhi. As you mentioned correctly, it is very important to be open minded and flexible when volunteering in India and this is one quality which you definitely possessed. Remembering children's names while on the project is a great advice for future volunteers and this shall definitely be of help to them. We look forward to having you in our programs again soon.

Bethany

An amazing experience

This experience was truly incredible. It was amazing to see the different efforts that are in India to help reduce poverty and give an education to the local children. All the other volunteers were lovely and up for exploring the city together. The VolSol team were very helpful with any of our issues or any questions we had. I felt very safe in a very busy and different culture due to all their efforts.

I had a great time working with the Ladies in the womens empowerment group. It was great to see the efforts put in to give them a sustainable income. It was also fun to help out and stitch and paint some of the bags ourselves.

This trip is definitely something I will always remember and would highly recommend to everyone! Not only do you get to help the local community but you get to explore an amazing, beautiful and vibrant city.

Make the additional add on tours more obvious and easier to find before arriving
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hey Bethany,
Thanks for leaving us a review. It was great to host you in Delhi although for a very short period of time. We would have loved to have you stay for a longer period of time. Glad to know that you had a wonderful time at the Women Empowerment Project. We appreciate you taking time out and coming to volunteer for this project. We look forward to having you back in India soon :)

Seonaid

Great time with great projects and great people

Staying and volunteering in Delhi can be daunting for some, and VolSol provided us with great care and attention to detail that made everything easy, and allowed us to settle in to the busy city comfortably.

They work closely with meaningful projects, and connect people with some brilliant work. We worked with a women's empowerment project, that was working to teach women skills that would encourage them to support themselves. They were making bags, in line with India's new ban on single use plastic, making useful items beautifully.

Other projects seemed really interesting, and I was amazed by the amount of opportunities VolSol could offer to help us better understand the world - in the future I hope to continue to engage with VolSol to widen my eyes to the opportunities and key underlying issues that are affecting people today.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Being here longer! I was only able to work for one week, owing to my holiday allowance....
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Thank you for this great review Seonaid!! We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful experience in our India Program ! 😍
We look forward to having you in more programs in the future.

Colm

Well Organised and an Excellent Experience

Our accomodation and food were excellent and a short commute to the school each day. Shankar, the house manager, was very helpful in addressing any and all of my queries and is a great chef!
The teachers I worked with were very welcoming and open to our new ideas and the children were fantastic and always eager to learn and play games! The school itself is in a slum which is an eye opening experience but it was great to see how happy all of the children were every day and that they genuinely enjoy school.
As a city to live in, New Delhi has a huge amount to offer and is as thorough a culture shock as I have ever had. There are some amazing things to see and it being part of the Golden Triangle and a relatively cheap flight away from places such as Varanasi or Mumbai make it a great base from which to explore India on weekends etc.

For the amount paid there is no obvious donations given to the projects in question. If there is money given, volunteers should be involved in advising how this money is spent as it wasn't obvious from my time that any money had been donated to the project. If no money is given then needless to say, a stated % of what volunteers pay should go to the projects in question.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hey Colm,
Thanks for leaving a wonderful and detailed review of your program in India. We are happy to know that you had a fantastic time in the program and thoroughly enjoyed all the aspects of your program such as placement, food, accommodation, weekend trips etc. Yes indeed Delhi has a huge amount to offer and there are many amazing things to see here. In regards to your suggestion, we would like to confirm that support is provided to the different projects where our volunteers work from time to time. We do provide necessary financial and in kind support to the project depending on their requirements on a regular basis. I hope you had discussed this with us while in country with the program staff and we could have given the detailed breakdown and structure to you. We look forward to hosting you in our other programs soon.

Barbara

India-Delhi

The time I spent volunteering in Delhi was unforgettable and Volunteering Solutions did an amazing job to make sure that my experience was safe, fun, and enjoyable. The program I chose to participate in was the Special Needs program in Delhi. As a teacher of children with special needs, I was able to use my knowledge to help others, as well as learn new things and work with many different individuals and students. The staff was very hospitable, and everyone made me feel as if I was at home. I also participated in 2 weekend trips, to Varanasi, as well as the Golden Triangle tour (Jaipur and Agra). Both trips were planned very well and everything was as expected and more. The Volunteering Solutions staff in Delhi made me feel welcomed and comfortable, especially while being in a different country. Shankar did a fabulous job making sure that all volunteers were taken care of and went out of his way several times to help me and others. His caring and friendly personality represents Volunteering Solutions very well. Overall, everything went great. I would highly recommend Volunteering Solutions to others, and will be looking into trips for the future!

My advice for future travelers of this program would be to have an open mind while traveling through India. Being flexible, understanding, and patient is key. Sometimes things do not go as planned, and that's okay! Learning to live and work with others from all around the world is something that money cannot buy. It is up the volunteer to take advantage and seize the opportunity to learn these life skills that are so valuable to growing as a person. Enjoy each day, because it goes by quickly!
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Barbara,
Thanks for leaving us a review. We are delighted to know that you had an amazing time Volunteering in Delhi - India. We are happy to know that all aspects of your program including the volunteering, weekend trips, service from the staff etc went well and overall you enjoyed a lot. We look forward to having you in our programs in the near future as well. Also, we would like to thank you for your suggestion to future volunteers to be flexible, open minded and patient. It is a good suggestion and would be helpful to our participants coming to India.

Samantha

India Summer Program

I was in Delhi for a week and then in Palampur for a week working at schools and I had an incredible experience, I loved being with the kids. Everyone was very nice and helpful, all the coordinators made the experience great. I always felt safe and cared for. The food was always very delicious and a good amount. The week that we were traveling was amazing, we had no problems at all. The hotels were incredibly nice, the meals were good, all our transportation was included and we saw a lot of beautiful sites and had good experiences. In Delhi, we were with the slums children and I felt like I was making a great impact, I absolutely loved it. Palampur was a school where we felt like we were not really needed so sometimes it got a little boring.

Have an open mind, the experience will be incredible but the culture is very different and you have to adapt. Try to learn as much as you can, this trip will change your life.
Lily

a wild and amazing experience

I have been volunteering in India for 4 weeks in the Medical Internship Program and couldn't have had a better experience. The program is incredibly well organized, as well as informative and hands-on for Pre-Med students. The accommodation provided by Volunteering Solution is very nice and in a safe neighborhood, and the food is absolutely delicious! Similarly, all of the weekend trips that I booked through Volunteering Solutions are comfortable and a great way to visit India. Each of the tour guides provided helped to understand the culture and made each trip more enjoyable and informative. I have met some of the best people, including other volunteers, Volunteering Solutions staff, and doctors and nurses in the hospital. I would definitely suggest this program to anyone who wants to travel abroad in a meaningful way!

Come with an open-mind and take in every experience you can!
Colin

Street Children Project New Delhi

My recent experience volunteering in Delhi was life changing. The process of applying right to the arrival in India was very straight forward. On arrival i was greeted by Vol Sol staff who took me directly to the accommodation in South Delhi. While at the accommodation support and advice is provided by the staff at all times. Orientation to the country and the project is provided on day 1 and this really sets the scene for your time ahead. The overall experience working with the children from a local slum was so meaningful and satisfying. The children are so welcoming, loving and giving of themselves. They are so willing to learn from us as volunteers and will inspire you everyday. The experience can feel overwhelming at first but if you embrace the country the culture and the conditions the children are living in you will have the most amazing time. I felt very safe at all times and although the locals will be curious and may stare at you they are not intrusive, so just smile or say hello. What you will take away from your time as a volunteer is beyond what you can ever imagine. These children and India will forever live in my heart and soul. If you are considering a project, choose whatever is right for you. Be open, dont judge or compare but simply embrace the experience you will really make a difference. Vol solutions made my volunteering dream a reality.

Brian

Volunteering Solutions - India

My time in New Delhi with VolSol was an experience to remember. A month working with Aangan Day Care Centre flew by. The staff/coordinators do a fantastic job of being accessible if you have any questions or problems. Shankar and Chubbi were the simply best! Whether it was their cooking (or cooking with them) or the conversations after dinner - the two of them were a huge part of why I enjoyed my time in Delhi so much! I will miss them a ton.

The orientation is helpful and allows you to learn more about the city and how not to get ripped off when traveling around the city. The accommodation is in a great area of South Delhi and I never had an issue with safety or any possible dangerous encounters. I had the chance to see a lot in a Delhi after work or on the weekends. I would recommend this sort of program to people who want to work 1st, see 2nd.

Emily

Medical internship program in Delhi

Had an amazing trip through the medical internship program. It was such a great opportunity to observe the doctors in the hospital and learn more about this field. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the accommodations were great! I felt very safe on this trip and made friends from all over the world. Also had the opportunity to visit other parts of India over the weekends which definitely made my trip even more memorable. Highly recommend this experience!

Better communication at airport pick up
tajmahal trip
Gillian

Ive just returned from 3 weeks in India on the Summer Programme with Volunteering Solutions.

India has been on my bucket list for a while, however as well as seeing the usual tourist attractions and heritage sites I wanted to see more of the day to day life and culture and give something back to the community.

After much research I decided on Vol Sol as their 3 week Summer Programme offered a good combination through a varied itinerary at a reasonable cost.

On booking I was provided with a login to my Vol Sol account, which contained a fully detailed itinerary and helpful information on visas, climate, culture etc and Sahil, our coordinator was always helpful with answering any questions.

On arrival in Delhi airport I was met by a smiling Vol Sol face and transported to the volunteer house, which was in a nice residential area of south Delhi and situated in a gated community with plenty of markets, shops and restaurants within walking distance.

On our first day we had a detailed orientation from Vol Sol explaining our first week in Delhi, which would be in a volunteer school where we would be helping children from the slums to improve their English.

Travel to and from the volunteer school was by auto rickshaw, an experience in itself given the Delhi traffic. The children ranged between 4 and 14 years and were of mixed ability but so willing to learn and absorbed everything like sponges. It was hard work but so rewarding.

Saying goodbye to the children at the end of the week was really emotional but we left with many thank you cards, hugs and happy tears together with the thought that we may have played a tiny part in helping to improve the future for these gorgeous kids.

Rajiv, Parag and Dheeraj, were always around checking our safety and available for questions.

After an overnight coach journey we arrived in Palampur in the foot hills of the Himalayas and our new accommodation for the week was in a countryside volunteer house with magnificent views of the majestic mountains.

Again we had a full orientation from Dr Bobby who explained that we would be renovating two classrooms in a non government school for very poor children. It was hard work sanding down walls, plastering and then applying two coats of base paint before designing and completing the artwork for the walls.

It was so rewarding at the end of the week when we handed over the clean, bright and fun classrooms to the teachers who were so appreciative. The children were just adorable and there was plenty of time to play with them during the breaks. Again the Vol Sol team, Dr Bobby and Amit, were frequently around checking on our progress and making sure we were OK.

Our final week included a camping/trekking trip in the mountains, sightseeing In Dharamshala, Amritsar, Agra and Jaipur with everything expertly arranged and fully escorted by Parag of Vol Sol who really went out of his way to ensure we had the best time ever.

Would I do it again - absolutely, it is so much more fulfilling to actual take part in making change happen than just donating cash and you actually get to see where your money goes.

Would I choose Vol Sol again - absolutely, they are a very professional organisation who provide an excellent combination of volunteer projects and sightseeing ensuring you are safe at all times.

So, if you are thinking about volunteering and fancy India then I would definitely recommend Volunteering Solutions.

Thank you and happy travels.