Volunteer in Peru | Most Affordable Volunteering & Internship Projects

Volunteering Solutions, in association with the local organizations and NGOs, offers some interesting and affordable volunteering projects in the city of Cusco. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. You can be a volunteer and meaningfully contribute towards the lives of these people. You can choose to volunteer for Teaching Project, Kindergarten Program, Disabled Care Project and others, depending on your areas of interest.

Students who wish to become dentists in future can also choose the Dental Elective Program and gain first-hand work experience by shadowing the professionals. Also, being such a culturally rich country, volunteering in Peru will help you to broaden your horizon and learn more about the country's history, heritage and lifestyle.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program in Cusco-Peru!

• Choose from a range of 8 different programs available in Cusco, for a minimum duration of 1 week to a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • Get a chance to do some meaningful work and gain incredible experience.
  • Go and explore the Inca Trails - hike up to Machu Picchu, and walk down the trails of Sacred Valley.
  • Go for the Rainbow Mountains trek and be amazed by nature's beauty.
  • Learn more about Peruvian culture & heritage.

Impact

Zachary

Peru Clinical Volunteering Experience

Cusco is an amazing place to volunteer in. It gives an unfiltered view of many cultures, between the ancient Inca Empire, the Hispanic culture, and the modernizing of an up-and-coming city. It features a host of tourism sites, and as such people are used to foreigners and generally are kind and open if you know some Spanish and communicate with them. I think I'll always appreciate Hispanic and South American cultures for "what they are" and how awesome they can be because of the experiences I had in Peru.

It was pretty good overall. Sometimes it was a bit crowded in host family houses, but my personal experience (a bit of an exception) was pretty good.
Zachary

Peru Clinical Volunteering Experience

Sara

Mi experiencia fue fenomenal

Translated Review: "My volunteer program for 3 weeks was wonderful. I Supported a kindergarten teacher who had 35 children of different ages. My help was valued.
My host family was attentive and friendly. My roommate was a volunteer from Australia. She and I had a great time, in the afternoons we went for a walk and explore Cusco.
The VolSol staff is friendly, welcoming and welcoming to my stay.
My trip to the Sacred Valley and Machupichu was unforgettable.
I recommend this program to all those people who wish to visit Peru."

Original Review: "Mi programa de voluntariado durante mis 3 semanas fue maravillosa. Apoye en un kinder a una maestra q tenía 35 niños de diferentes edades. Mi ayuda fue valorada.
Mi familia anfitriona fue atenta y amable. Mi compañera de habitación fue una voluntaria de Australia. Ella y yo la pasamos muy bien, por las tardes salíamos a pasear y explorar Cusco.
El staff de VolSol es amigable, acogedor y estuvieron al pendiente de mi estancía.
Mi viaje al Valle sagrado y Machupichu fue inolvidable."
Yo recomiendo este programa a todas aquellas personas que desean visitar Peru.

Excelente
Anna

Review

Translated: "In the first place, the Anta health center, in my opinion, is too far away and we depend on too many means of transport, it is quite risky given the driving of the people here.

Secondly, in my impression, I have not helped what I would like. I have not participated as much in the activities of the center as I would have liked. There is not so much work for so many volunteers. I have not felt one more within the professionals. I have not learned what I would like or achieved initially set goals such as healing wounds, putting vaccines ...

Good thing, we have seen two births! And I have learned to take manual blood pressure."

Original: En primer lugar, el centro de Salud de Anta, en mi opinión, está demasiado lejos y dependemos de demasiados medios de transporte, es bastabte arriesgado dado la conducción de la gente de aquí.

En segundo lugar, en mi impresión, no he ayudado lo que me gustaría. No he participado tanto en las actividades del centro como me hubiese gustado. No hay tanta faena para tantos voluntarios. No me he sentido una más dentro de los profesionales. No he aprendido lo que me gustaría ni conseguido objetivos planteados inicialmente como curar heridas, poner vacunas...

Lo bueno, hemos podido ver dos partos! Y he aprendido a tomar la tensión arterial manual.

Translated: "The proximity of the center.
The organization within center for volunteers."

Original: La proximidad del centro.
La organización dentro de centro para los voluntarios.
Isabella

Peru nursery working review

I would definitely recommend this trip for anyone interested in working with children in the future as volunteering to help in a Peruvian classroom with around 25 children will quickly prepare you for all kinds of jobs in childcare. One thing that stands out about this trip is that all of the volunteers across the different programs offered in Cusco by volunteering solutions often join together to see the different parts of Cusco as a group. This trip can easily be undertaken alone as it is easy to make friends and travel companions once you reach Cusco.

This program could be improved by offering one event each week where all of the volunteers are able to meet each other , I.e at a dinner
Amy

Kindergarden Cusco

Coming to south American for 2 weeks without family was a challenge for me at first, but the welcoming staff members/host family helped a lot. I also made loads of friends from all around the world. I worked at a nursery for children ages 3-5, and really enjoyed it. I couldn't speak any Spanish when I came, but i ended up learning some from the children. I got to see how the community in Cusco lived and saw how different it was to home life. I got to see parades (even walk in one with the children), celebrate in festivities and do lots of sightseeing in my free time. I felt very safe here and enjoyed the social life in the plaza. I would highly recommend this programme, but would suggest relatively strong spanish speaking levels.

Marta

Review

Me parece que en mi caso, mi programa ubicado en Anta estaba demaseado lejos para ir y volver cada día... Además, costó un poco que los profesionales del hospital nos adaptaran a la rutina, por no decir que no nos dejaron participar las enfermeras en cosas tan simples cómo limpiar heridas, cosa que una estudiante de 4o esta capacitado! Por otra parte, muchas enfermeras y doctores fueron muy amables y nos dejaban hacer cosas!

Mejorando la proximidad del centro y que los medicos/enfermeras se impliquen un poco más.
Noe

Kindergarten Peru

I volunteered in a kindergarten in Cusco for two weeks. The experience I had was absolutely amazing. The people at the kindergarten were great and I loved working there and I met many new friends from all over the world. Eventhough I was there to volunteer, I still got to see a lot of the city and go on many fun daytours. My host family, the other volunteers and the staff of Volunteering Solutions were all very welcoming and made my trip even better!

Improving the information you receive beforehand.
Marina

Experiencia auténtica

El programa, aunque corto porque el horario es muy reducido, ha cumplido mis expectativas. El contraste cultural ha sido importante pero he realizado muy a gusto mi tarea, ha sido muy gratificante. Quizá en el programa de kindergarden, la profesora podría compartir su programación con los voluntarios.
Tanto el personal del programa como la familia anfitriona han sido muy acogoderes y me han brindado todo su soporte. Vivir en comunidad tan amplia a veces es un poco complicado pero también enriquece la experiencia.

Se debería especificar más sobre el horario de las tareas y sobre las condiciones de hospedaje. La información me proporcionó una expectativa diferente a la realidad.
Sophie

Great experience all round

I had an absolutely amazing time volunteering for 4 weeks teaching English in a secondary school. The accomodation and food was great and I loved every moment I spent with my host family and getting to know the other volunteers. My project, although a bit challenging and nervewracking at the start, was so much fun and such a great idea of what it’s like to be a teacher. I really enjoyed it and was very sad to leave! It was also great to have all the afternoons and weekends off to travel in and around Cusco and go into the centre with friends in free time - we did so much and were always busy.
It was such an amazing 4 weeks and I feel like I have a second family in Peru as well as many very memorable experiences :) Definitely recommend it; welcoming lovely family, delcious food, organised, safe, loads to do in Cusco and great fun.

Wouldn’t change anything
Maor

Medical Volunteering Mission

I reallly love the host family that I am staying with. The clinic is a little run down, not many things work but for what we do do, it great. I love helping the people of Cusco. Also, the other volunteers are great this shows good quality in the program. I will tell all my friends about this and maybe they will do it also. I hope to reconnect with this host family in the future, they have been nothing but great. Loving every second.

It would be nice to know a little bit more about the clinic we will be working at so we can be more prepared. But otheriwse its all great.
Amos

Peru Healthcare Program

The the healthcare program in Peru is an excellent way to engulf yourself in another culture and build upon your own healthcare skills and learn new ones. Living with a host family really helped me settle in and feel at home in Cusco and the other volunteers were great. The staff are friendly and easily contactable if you have any problems, the clinic staff love having new faces to talk to and teach. Overall an excellent program that is affordable and worth the trip wherever you decide to go.

Nguyen

Volunteering With Deaf Children In Peru

First, my host mum Edith is one of the kindest and funniest people I've ever met. I lived in her home well fed with great food cooked by her and her maid, and I slept comfortably in a decent size room with warm blankets. Second, I had the pleasure to work with deaf children from the age of 3 - 8 at San Martin school of disability. The kids are crazy energetic. It was tiring work, and sometimes I do feel like quitting. But I learned to be patient and this would not have been possible if it wasn't for the love I have for the kids. They might be a crazy bunch, but they are so full of compassion and intelligence I just couldn't help but fell in love with them all. Last, Volunteering Solutions is incredibly fast at answering emails. One of their staffs here in Peru, Kelly, is great. She showed us around the center of Cusco and informed us about the bus system, restaurants we should eat at and food that we should avoid.
Overall, this is probably one of the most fun I have had. The program allows us a lot of free time to enjoy and explore Cusco. But this awesome experience wouldn't have been possible without my fellow volunteers. I was able to meet people from Germany, Italy, UK and America (from 4 different states) - bare in mind that there were 9 volunteers living in the same host family as I am.

The program should organize kids with not too much of the age difference with each other. I met this girl who was twice my age, and her interests are totally different from mine and the other volunteers'. Therefore, it was very difficult for her to follow and enjoy the conversations during the meals we had together.
I love meeting people, but on my second week here, we had quite too many volunteers that our host mum had to sleep on the couch and not have a place to sit on the dinner table. This ruined the family vibe I had with my group in the first week. However, I have to say that as a family, we did laugh a lot harder than the first week ;D
The program should inform their volunteers that there are many options regarding trips to places such as Mach Pichu. The trip offered by the program was very expensive compared to the other trips my friends and I were able to find.
It would've been a lot better of an experience if Peru would've gotten through the World Cup's qualifying round.
Christian

Volunteering Experience in Peru

My experience as a volunteer in Peru was truly amazing. From the second i stepped foot into Cusco and the school I felt safe and welcomed. I enjoyed helping the staff and the children as well as the traveling to get to know the surroundings and the culture of Cusco. With time I was given more resposibilities and I realized that we can actually make an impact in the life of the students.
The host family was great. Very nice and helpful people who stand by your side whenever you need them. My favorite part about Peru was the close proximity to locals and the variety of tasty food offered to us.

chantelle

chantelle's experience

I felt very safe with the staff and the people here. I do wish that it was more guided in terms of transportation as we were unaware that speaking Spanish was basically a necessity, but after the first few days we got the hang of it and I quite liked the independence of the program. Our program leader Kelly had to take me to the hospital at one point, and I have never felt more cared for. The staff, other volunteers, and our lovely host mom made us feel very accepted and welcomed. It was a wonderful experience and very affordable for me as a student looking to help without money.

I think a better sense of how much Spanish is required would be lovely so others can know what to expect and can learn more before they arrive.

About Volunteering Solutions

Since 2007, Volunteering Solutions (VolSol) has been working with the aim of providing support to the underprivileged societies of the world in order to make a difference. Over the last 11 years, VolSol has placed more than 13,200 volunteers across...