Volunteer Abroad in Peru with Volunteering Solutions

Volunteer Abroad in Peru with Volunteering Solutions

Join a volunteer program in Cusco, Peru with Volunteering Solutions! Volunteering in Peru is a great opportunity to learn about this amazing culture. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. Volunteer opportunities include: marine life conservation, language courses, childcare in day care centers and with disabled children, teaching, orphanage work, as well as supporting abandoned street children. Visit the Volunteering Solutions website to learn more about these volunteer projects in Peru.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program in Cusco-Peru!

South America » Peru » Cusco
South America » Peru
Spanish
Weeks Min.
Weeks Max

Show 1 - 10 of 10
Niamh

Daycare Center in Cusco, Peru

I had an incredible experience with Volunteering Solutions in Cusco, Peru for two weeks. This was my first time traveling alone, and I felt completely secure throughout my trip. I was placed with a wonderful host family who made me feel so welcome. It was very easy to take the public bus to my volunteer work in a daycare center every morning. The children in the daycare center are extraordinary. They are so friendly and eager to learn. I always felt needed while I was there, and I left there every afternoon feeling fulfilled and joyful. There were many large public protests in Cusco while I was there, and the Peruvian coordinators of Volunteering Solutions made every effort to make sure the other volunteers and I were safe. The entire experience was unforgettable and a great way to practice my Spanish. I definitely want to volunteer with Volunteering Solutions in the future!

No, I don't recommend
Samantha

2 week special in Cusco, Peru with Volunteering Solutions

This program was an amazing experience for me. I was only in Cusco for 2 weeks but I wish I could have stayed forever! My host family was very nice, my accomodation was great, it was clean and the meals were very good too. I loved my placement, I worked at the kindergarten and I loved working with the kids, I really felt like I was making a difference, the teachers there really needed the help. As for my coordinator, Jenny, she was amazing, she always answered all of my questions and was always there for me. She always made sure that we were safe. Cusco is a very beautiful place and there are a lot of things to see there, so I definetly enjoyed being able to explore the city and get to know the amazing Peruvian culture. One of my highlights was meeting other volunteers from different parts of the world. I made really good friends that I hope to keep in touch with for a long time. Overall, I loved it, it was one of the best experiences that I've had and I really recommend it.

Jordan

My Cusco Experience

I stayed in Cusco with a lovely Peruvian family. Gloria was my host mum, Reese, my host father and their two children, Luis, and Laura. They all made me feel very welcome despite a bit of a language barrier. Me an Luis would play football up on the roof of the house and I taught him some new games. Laura liked to draw and I would draw her pictures and make plasticine animals for her, I even helped make her a frog costume for a school project. My placement involved traveling to the outskirts of the city to help at a kindergarten. The kindergarten itself was a very small room and in one day could have as much as 30 children, ages 3-5, attend. My duties included marking and preparing homework, helping the children with their work, playing games with the children and generally helping the teacher take care of the class. While I was volunteering at the kindergarten the class was also preparing for a parade so I was also involved in leading the class through a marching routine outside and supervising the children.
As well as volunteering in Peru I was also given the opportunity to see some of the sights in my spare time alongside some of the other volunteers. I went to see many of the Inca ruins; Sacsayhuaman, Ollantayambo, Pukapukara and Machu Pichu, to name a few. I also rode a pony up Rainbow Mountain. My programme also included a visit to a bakery to see how some of the local bread was made. Overall I had an amazing time in Cusco, had many wonderful experiences and met many wonderful people. I would definitely recommend the programme.

Trevor

Peru - Medical Mission

This was an amazing trip! I went between my first and second years of medical school to get more patient experience and practice Spanish. I had previously lived in Spain for 2 years but had not used Spanish as much as I would have liked to since I returned to the US, so this was a great opportunity to immerse myself in the language again.

I worked in an underserved clinic from 8am to 1pm and helped triage, provide wound care, and provided medications and immunizations to patients. The nurses there were great to work with and would show me once or twice what to do and then every patient after that I was able to work with.

The host family I had was incredible! They were so interesting in my story, in my family, and in making sure that I had everything I would need while I was there. The people are truly what make these projects worth it. I was able to go to Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley, and as incredible as they are, nothing compares to the people that I worked with and lived with.

I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is wanting to practice Spanish, get medical experience, learn a new culture, and see the world.

Kelly

Pre-Med Clinical Volunteer in Cuzco

I only volunteered for about 2 weeks, so I don't have a lot of stories... but here was something that struck me as memorable. I worked in the triage room for 1-2 hours every morning where we would weigh and take the heights of everyone that came to the clinic. I quickly noticed that about 90% of the women under 40 who were visiting the clinic were there to see obstetricians. All of the women were alone and many were in their teens...I couldn't believe how many young single mothers there were! I later found out that birth control pills were free, with or without insurance. I wondered WHY so many girls were getting pregnant. After speaking to another volunteer, I found out that there is a social stigma against birth control, deep rooted in the religious views of the country.

It would be great to receive some more communication from volunteering solution before I arrive. Like maybe a little PDF of where I'm going to be staying or what the clinic is called.

Paulius

Volunteering at Puesto de Salud Tupac Amaru (Cusco, Peru)

This program has been a truly wonderful experience for me. It was particularly meaningful to observe a doctor's life in great detail. I loved interacting with patients and assisting the clinic staff in simple tasks. I gained a valuable perspective that I would not have gotten elsewhere! It's a terrific opportunity for those interested in applying to medical or nursing schools.

Staying with my host family was really enjoyable. They did not speak much English and it was a perfect environment to practice Spanish all of the time. On weekends, I explored nearby attractions and traveled to places like Lake Titicaca, the Amazon, or Machu Picchu!

I would highly recommend this program. Working with Sahil and Jenny has been a real pleasure!

Offer program participants to maintain online profiles on your website to keep track of their experiences (i.e. blog) and reflect on what they learned every few days. If I had something like that and was encouraged to journal, I would be able to review my entries and provide more detailed examples of my favorite parts of the trip.

Shay

Cuzco Peru & Volunteering Solutions - an unforgettable summer

It was the most amazing and meaningful experience. I did two programs, 4 weeks with street kids and 8 weeks in a Medical Facility. In my free time I took cooking and Salsa classes. My BEST SUMMER! I participated in three deliveries, 2 boys and a girl, and the work with the Cuzco Peruvian people was very interesting. I am fluent in Spanish, but I did not expect that many of my patients spoke Kachua, the local dialect, but Mama Norma helped me out...

The experience with the host family was very positive, and a great opportunity to connect. I would not change a thing. The combination of experiences was very significant..

Sharon

Medical Volunteer

I volunteered at Cusco, Peru in 2009. This was my first volunteer experience with volunteering solutions.It was also the first time I traveled alone. I had such an amazing time and am so happy that I did it, despite my fears.

The house that I stayed at was shockingly nice! I stayed with a family in a two story home. They were very friendly and helpful. They cooked great food every day and made sure that I never went hungry.

The clinic I volunteered with was a travel clinic. Every day we would meet at the same place and then travel to the remote villages in the Andes Mountain. We would give care to the beautiful people in those villages. It was amazing! We would work from Monday to Friday. Then on Friday afternoon, we would end early @ 1100. At this time, the whole city would meet at the fields to play soccer. I loved it!

I traveled with a dentist, nurse, doctor, phlebotomist, and an obstetrician. Together, we would set up our clinic in various areas of the city and care for the locals. It was an amazing experience. I felt like I was being given a tour of the city sights every time we moved to a new location.

Cusco it self was an incredible city full of incredible architecture. It was amazing to be standing in a city with architecture that dates back to the Incan Empire. The highlight of my sight seeing was visiting Machu Picchu. UNBELIEVABLE!

At the end of my trip, the team and I grew close enough that they all took me to lunch and then dropped me off at the airport on my last day. It was a sad time when I left but I have fond memories. I would love to volunteer with them again.

I went during the Non-peek season. At one point, I was the only volunteer in the home. I went during the month of July. I would suggest researching peek times so that you will be able to socialize with other volunteers. On the other hand, I made many local friends and had an amazing time with them.

Sorsha

An Unforgettable Experience

I had such an incredible time in Peru. My daily routine began early in the morning as I arrived at work and helped the teacher prepare for her lesson. I always came home to a delicious lunch made by my host mother, and I spent the evenings relaxing with my family. On the weekends I saw the night life, went shopping in open-air markets, and hiked through Machu Picchu. I will never forget this trip, and I cannot wait to go back to visit my host family again.

I would have liked to been given a more formal orientation session about the little details of living in a new place: how and when to use electricity, who to call in case of an emergency, the locations of the embassies, and other things like that.

silvia

amazing cusco!

VS Staff always helpful and quick in responding e-mails. I thoroughly enjoyed my program placement and the kids and the women in the day care were very sympathetic and open to our inputs, games, etc. The accommodation was very nice and clean. I felt very secure and my host family made me feels the part of their family. The food was delicious and a nice overview of Peruvian food. I would surely recommend Volunteering Solutions to people who are looking to volunteer work abroad and I am convinced and this experience might influence my future career.

Volunteering Solutions started its operations in 2007 and has sent over 12500 volunteers abroad, and now has projects in more than 30 destinations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. Volunteering Solutions is dedicated to providing authentic,...