Volunteer in Peru | Most Affordable Volunteering & Internship Projects

Rainbow Mountain
Me and other volunteers at Machu Pichu
Building blocks with children
Kindergarten class photo

Volunteering Solutions, in association with the local organizations and NGOs, offers some interesting and affordable volunteering projects in the city of Cusco. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. You can be a volunteer and meaningfully contribute towards the lives of these people. You can choose to volunteer for Teaching Project, Kindergarten Program, Disabled Care Project and others, depending on your areas of interest.

Students who wish to become dentists in future can also choose the Dental Elective Program and gain first-hand work experience by shadowing the professionals. Also, being such a culturally rich country, volunteering in Peru will help you to broaden your horizon and learn more about the country's history, heritage and lifestyle.

• Choose from a range of 8 different programs available in Cusco, for a minimum duration of 1 week to a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • Get a chance to do some meaningful work and gain incredible experience.
  • Go and explore the Inca Trails - hike up to Machu Picchu, and walk down the trails of Sacred Valley.
  • Go for the Rainbow Mountains trek and be amazed by nature's beauty.
  • Learn more about Peruvian culture & heritage.

Emma

Experience a Buena vista

Translated by Go Overseas:

I was part of the program at the health center of Buena Vista, it was very interesting to see the different ways to approach health in Peru. The people were very nice and I was able to go to all the services of the health center to observe (doctors, obstetricians, psychologist ...). In addition the family I was in was great, lots of good times together and it allows to know the life of people in Peru. I really loved this experience. This also allows to visit the region which is beautiful, with all the archaeological sites. The city is also very beautiful, its center is super nice. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who wants to discover a culture and live with people.

Original Review:

J' ai fait partie du programme au centre de santé de Buena Vista, c'était très intéressant de voir les différentes manières d'approcher la santé au Pérou. Les gens étaient très gentils et j'ai pu aller dans tous les services du centre de santé pour observer ( les médecins, les obstétriciennes, la psychologue...). De plus la famille dans laquelle j'étais était super, plein de bon moments passé ensemble et ça permet de connaître la vie des gens au Pérou. J'ai vraiment adoré cette expérience. Cela permet aussi de visiter la région qui est magnifique, avec tous les sites archéologiques. La ville est aussi très belle, son centre est super chouette. Je conseille fortement cette expérience à toutes les personnes qui ont envie de découvrir une culture et de vivre avec les gens.

Maybe having some activities with the other volunteers to know each other.
Morgan

Cusco medical experience

It was a lot of fun here in cusco during these 2 weeks. My host family was very nice, cooked for me every day including on Sundays delicious peruanian meals making me discover the food culture of this country.
My time at the medical center was great too, had a very nice doctor supervising me and making me do the physical examination of the patients.
Since I had work only during the mornings, had plenty of time to discover Cusco and surroundings during the afternoon. The staff at the medical center would give me Fridays as a day off, so I had the opportunity to travel a bit further and went to the Machu Picchu as well on a weekend. It was a great experience travelling solo too, a bit challenging but worth it.

Overall great experience, would recommend it !

Study well your Spanish before coming, it well help you a lot with you family and your volunteer work.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Thanks for leaving us a wonderful review Morgan !! Glad to know that you had a great experience volunteering in the medical program and exploring Cusco as well as travelling to Machu Pichu. Thanks for recommending the program to other volunteers looking to travel to Peru. We look forward to having you in our other programs too.

Claire

Expérience à Cusco

Translated by Go Overseas:

This stay in Cusco allowed me to meet many people, be it the family or other friendships that were created. Being in a family allowed me to better understand the culture and to have a "security" in case of problem. In addition, we have discovered extraordinary landscapes such as Rainbow Mountains or Machu Picchu for example and many other activities. Finally, my experience in two schools was very enriching to understand how the system worked, what was their pedagogy and the meeting with the different children was wonderful and very endearing. I also had the opportunity to meet other volunteers who did not necessarily work in the school field and we were able to discuss our various experiences.

Original:

Ce séjour à Cusco m’a permis de rencontrer beaucoup de personnes, que ce soit la famille ou d’autres amitiés qui se sont crées. Être dans une famille m’a permis de mieux comprendre la culture et d’avoir une « sécurité » en cas de problème. De plus, nous avons pu découvrir des paysages extraordinaires comme les Rainbow Mountains ou le Machu Picchu par exemple et de nombreuses autres activités. Finalement, mon expérience dans deux écoles a été très enrichissante pour comprendre comment fonctionnait le système, quelle était leur pédagogie et la rencontre avec les différents enfants était merveilleuse et très attachante. J’ai également eu l’occasion de rencontrer d’autres volontaires qui ne travaillaient pas forcément dans le domaine scolaire et nous avons pu échanger sur nos diverses expériences.

Translated by Go Overseas:

For future volunteers, I advise them to be open to the culture and to the people they will meet in order to live a unique experience and to be curious so as not to miss anything

Original:

Pour les futurs volontaires, je leurs conseils d’être ouvert à la culture et aux personnes qu’ils vont rencontrer afin de vivre une expérience unique et d’être curieux afin de ne rien manquer
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Claire,
Thanks for leaving us a review. We are delighted to know that you had a fabulous time in Cusco, Peru and enjoyed the volunteer program as well as the extra activities and excursions. It is good to know that you found the experience of working at the two school projects as enriching. Your advise for future volunteers would be very helpful as well to the upcoming participants. Once again, thanks for joining our program in Cusco, Peru and we look forward to your participation in other destinations as well.

Valentina

Mi experiencia en Peru

Translated by Go Overseas:

I loved everything about this trip. From the city, to the family and the program. My favorite part was to be able to teach and play with the children and the bond that I formed with them, to give them love and the love they gave me. The garden I went to is wonderful and the teachers are very friendly. The family I was with was also amazing, very loving, the house very comfortable and the food delicious; They made me feel very good and welcome. I loved the show's location too. Being in Cusco I could have the opportunity to meet many of the most beautiful places in the world, Machu picchu, the mountain of colors and all the Inca archaeological sites. It is a very safe place, and all the tours, the program and everything in general very organized.

Original Review:

Me encanto todo acerca de este viaje. Desde la ciudad, hasta la familia y el programa. Mi parte favorita fue poder enseñar y jugar con los niños y el vínculo que formé con ellos, darles amor y el amor que ellos me dieron a mi. El jardín al que fui, es maravilloso y las profesoras muy amables. La familia con la cual estuve también fue increíble , muy amorosa, la casa muy cómoda y la comida deliciosa; me hicieron sentir muy bien y bienvenida. La locación del programa también me encanto. Por estar en Cusco pude tener la oportunidad de conocer muchos de los lugares más lindos del mundo, Machupicchu, la montaña de colores y todos los sitos arqueológicos incas. Es un sitio muy seguro, y todos los tours, el programa y todo en general muy organizado.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was alpaca meat. I tried it for the first time at Agua Calientes, after we left Machupicchu, and it was very delicious.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Valentina,
Thanks for leaving us an awesome review and giving a 10/10 rating. Thank you so much for such a kind review. We are so happy you had such an amazing time in Peru. We LOVE your pictures too!!

Luísa

Internship programs

I did a medical internship in Cusco, and it was nice, but the website says that we can go to surgeries and do sutures and other procedures, but we don’t do this things. We don’t even go to hospitals, it’s a public clinic that we work in. But the family was great, the mom of the house helped us with everything, gave a key to each of us, cooked for us, and she was really attentive. People that come to Cusco need to be careful with the food that they eat, because there is a lot of places that are not safe and really dirty. You should check the rate in some website to see if you can eat there. The city of Cusco has a great center, with a lot of places to eat and a lot of travel agencies, that you can book your trips. I recommend people to do the colorful mountain, Machu Picchu by train, laguna humantay and secret valley. It was a great experience!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
When I arrived in Cusco, I saw a lot of things I didn’t expect, like the structure of the city... it’s not beautiful and it’s really pour. But when you travel around Cusco, you can find some incredible places, like the colorful mountain and the humantay lake.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hello Luisa,
Thanks for leaving us a review and for recommending the program to others. We are happy to know that you had a good time overall. In regards to the medical/healthcare placements, participants mainly work in public healthcare clinics which are located in suburban Cusco area. These clinics are not adequately staffed and hence offer a good opportunity to the volunteers. Participants mainly play the role of assistants to the medical staff and tasks can vary at the project on a daily basis. Glad to know that you liked staying with a host family. It is definitely a highlight of stay of many participants since you can improve your Spanish and immerse in their local culture. Thanks for recommending the weekend trips to the volunteers as well.

Kristina

Iquitos

This is an important project that will play a bigger role in creating a stronger community, helping global warming, helping the planet, helping the amazon, and preserving a community of awareness in Padre Coche.
The hostel is clean, safe, accessible and comfortable. The host is very clear, approachable and allows for a comfortable stay. She makes sure you are comfortable, she listens to your requests and concerns and she lays out clearly what to expect and what is expected of you.
The agenda as layed out in the program, was true and clear.
Although, I sometimes questioned if I was able to truly help in this project, I ultimately did feel like I contributed to something worthwhile, that my time was valuable and appreciative. Because I feel this is an important project that leads to a bigger picture and adds to a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed this project. It is unique, yet it shows how in order to make big changes in the world, you need to start small, and you need to start at home.
I also enjoyed taking part and witnessing the anccestral communities and cultural practices that also contribute to the bigger picture of the importance of preserving land, communities and cultural practices in these smaller villages and provinces along the Amazon.

Bring lots of bug spray! And dress appropriately. Although it´s hot, the best protection in Amazon is to cover up with light nylon clothing.
Kristina

Pronoei Cuzco

This was my first time volunteering and I really enjoyed the experience. My house home was so sweet, considerate and like a real family. They cared about my experience and we sat for every meal. They also were accomadating with my sleep schedule. Volunteering at Pronoei was also a great experience. I wish I was a little more prepared because we were left with the class on our own without the teacher. I would have prepared lessons - or if there were options for lessons that would have been great.
Although, I felt taking care of and supported, leading up to it I wasn’t totally sure what I was getting to. There were times when information conflicted each other. I just have a sense hat it is maybe a lack of staff and the amount of work but the staff works hard and are sincere with supporting us. It just felt slightly last minute or disorganized at times.

I would bring lessons prepared. I’m not sure if it’s lack of staff for the amount of work, but it was slightly disorganized at times. Even before arriving, with a conflict of scheduling, or not knowing the schedule until last minute. Though, when asked, everyone responds and is cordial.
Jacqueline

Muy Bonito

It was a great experience living so closely with the family. We learned about the authenticity of the food and culture of Peru. The family was welcoming and made the program that much more amazing. Be prepared to have the best Peruvian food! We were able to visit a school for students with special needs which was a great experience. I may come back to volunteer there next summer. Along with the great class experiences, we got to visit many great places on our excursions. We got to see many natural wonders like Rainbow mountain, which was beautiful, along with historical sites like Machu Picchu which was amazing to see and walk around in person. These great experiences were in addition to the amazing hospitality from our host family and the interactions with the wonderful Peruvian community.

I would encourage volunteers to have some plan for instruction in English before arriving. Colors, numbers, body parts, etc.
Laís

Amei!

Minha experiência no Peru foi maravilhosa! Em todos os aspectos... Meu projeto foi muito engrandecedor, pois cada dia tive a oportunidade de trabalhar em uma área da Medicina: pude aprender na Pediatria, na Clínica Médica/Medicina Interna, na Saúde da Família. E sempre havia alguém que estava responsável por mim; nunca me senti sozinha em meu trabalho. Além disso, a Volunteering Solutions estava sempre em contato comigo, perguntando se estava gostando, se tinha algum problema... Já em relação à minha família, não poderia ter ficado em uma casa melhor. Minha “mãe” e minha “irmã” eram muito atenciosas e carinhosas, e estavam sempre dispostas para fazer tudo. Cozinharam as melhores comidas peruanas e me proporcionaram os melhores momentos e memórias!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate in Peru was “Chiriuchu”, a typical Peruvian food made with ginnie pig’s meat, cow’s meat, chicken’s meat, toasted corn, caviar, sausage and bell pepper.
Georgina

Wow!

The program was amazing. The kids were great to work with and the sights we were able to explore over the two weeks were incredible. The staff was amazing and the host family was even better. I would highly recommend this program. The kids were a handful at first but you really need to get used to them. They’re used to new volunteers every so often so breaking the ice can be a little rough at first. The teach is super kind and clearly loves her job and the kids. Having some sort of lesson planned for them as far as colors and possibly numbers for them helps a great deal to keep their attention throughout the day. Aside from the kids we had plenty of free time to explore Cusco and neighboring areas as well as program planned excursions on the weekend. The things we were able to do in such a short period was incredible.

Do not take altitude sickness lightly! Be patient with the kids and have fun.
Ross

Healthcare Cusco

Working in the clinic in Cusco was interesting and opened my eyes to how other communities live and get their care. Leaned a lot about what it means to be a doctor and the importance of going into medicine. Host family was very nice, made me feel at home. Homestay allowed me to experience life in a way that I am not used to so that I could see how other people have to live. Cusco is a great city with much to offer from history to culture. Very safe, never felt afraid. Very affordable city. Not too hard to acclimate even at the very high altitudes the city is at. Transportation is very good and affordable both by taxi and bus. Many chances to travel to places such as Machu Picchu. Support staff was very responsive to any problems such as sickness.

Isabella

Great trip!

I will defenitley cherish this trip for the rest of my life. Im so thankful for the oppurtunity to experience and live in a culture so different from mine. I especially enjoyed our project and working with the adorable children I will miss them so much!This trip truly made me realize that this is something u would like to do in my future, volunteering and working with kids. Even though i got extremly sick i will definetly be back! Our host mother was so sweet and I will also miss her very much she always made very good food and made sure we were happy and taken care of! In the begining the water in our shower was very cold but in the end we figured it out and we were able to have a warm shower!
Cusco city was also a wondeful city filled wity delicous food wonderful people and traditions! I will remeber this trip forever!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Be more careful with what i eat so i dont get salmonella!
Niamh

Niamh Review

I loved going to MachuPicchu and the Rainbow Mountains. I would hope to not get sick next time, but overall I had a lot of fun and learnt a lot about the culture. Working with the kids was a very rewarding experience as well - I was sad that I couldn’t spend more time with them. My host family was amazing, Edith was the extremely sweet and helpful to us, as well as her daughter. Getting sick wasn’t fun, but it didn’t inhibit the excitement of the trip. It was really incredible to get to know the culture or Peru and discover new food and dances and meet new people. I definitely want to come back to Peru one day. I also feel like I was able to practice my Spanish and feel more comfortable with my speaking, writing, and listening. I definitely recommend this program to people who want to practice their Spanish and learn about a new culture.

I would want more interactions with other volunteers.
Kathryn

Experience of a Lifetime

Going into my program in Peru, I was excited and extremely nervous. But once I got to the city and met the staff and my host family, and got settled in, it was amazing. The people, the culture, and the city itself were all amazing. And the trips on the weekends were all very fun, the guides were great, and meeting so many new people from so many different countries was amazing. Spectacular place to spend your time doing good for others and bettering yourself at the same time. Cusco, Peru is my new favorite place in the world. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who wants to see the world, experience new things, and help others at the same time. For solo travelers, couples, retirees, and anyone in between, this program will fit every type of person.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Riding the bus was the most unfamiliar thing to me on this trip. In my country, the buses stop for about 30 to 45 seconds. But here in Peru, the bus gives you about 10-15 seconds to get on and then they’re off! I have learned to love the bus.
Margot

mon expérience !

(English translation): I spent 2 weeks in Peru, it was really amazing I recommend. Already the project with children (3 to 5 years) was indescribable, the feeling of giving them a little help and love is just great. Then 'my family was very endearing, I talked a lot with each of them and I have good memories! The food was also very good and they suited my tastes. Finally, the excursions to Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley were impressive. Everything was very well organized and I had a great time, really. In the afternoons I went to visit the city which has lots of places to see! I recommend 100%, a significant social impact with visiting places around! Perfect
Do not hesitate, come and discover the Peruvian culture, the city of Cusco, the Inca monuments! And enjoy to help children in 'need :)

(Original text):
j’ai passé 2 semaines au Pérou, c’etait Vraiment incroyable je recommande. Déjà le projet avec les enfants (3 a 5 ans) était indescriptible, la sensation de leur donner un peu d’aide et d’amour est juste géniale. Ensuite’ ma famille était très attachante, j’ai beaucoup discuté avec chacun d’eux et j’ai de bons’ souvenirs ! La nourriture était aussi très bonne et ils s’adaptaient a mes goûts. Pour finir, les excursions au Machu Picchu et à la Vallée sacrée etait impressionnante. Tout était très bien organisé et j’ai passé un super moment, vraiment. Les après midis j’allais visité la ville qui a plein de lieux à voir ! Je recommande a 100%, un impact social important avec la visite des endroits autour! Parfait
N’hésitez plus, venez découvrir la culture péruvienne, la ville de Cusco, les monuments incas ! Et profitez en pour aider des enfants dans’ le besoin :)

Enjoy 100% of the moment! In your project, with your 'family, and also alone to visit!

Profitez à 100% du moment ! Dans votre projet, avec votre’ famille, et aussi seul pour visiter !

Location:
70 F / 43 F
Airports:
Alejandro Velasco Astete Airport
( CUZ )

Cusco, a city in the Peruvian Andes, was once capital of the Inca Empire, and is now known for its archaeological remains and Spanish colonial architecture.

About Volunteering Solutions

Since 2007, Volunteering Solutions (VolSol) has been working with the aim of providing support to the underprivileged societies of the world in order to make a difference. Over the last 11 years, VolSol has placed more than 14500 volunteers across 20...