Volunteer in Peru | Most Affordable Volunteering & Internship Projects

Volunteering Solutions, in association with the local organizations and NGOs, offers some interesting and affordable volunteering projects in the city of Cusco. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. You can be a volunteer and meaningfully contribute towards the lives of these people. You can choose to volunteer for Teaching Project, Kindergarten Program, Disabled Care Project and others, depending on your areas of interest.

Students who wish to become dentists in future can also choose the Dental Elective Program and gain first-hand work experience by shadowing the professionals. Also, being such a culturally rich country, volunteering in Peru will help you to broaden your horizon and learn more about the country's history, heritage and lifestyle.

• Choose from a range of 8 different programs available in Cusco, for a minimum duration of 1 week to a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • Get a chance to do some meaningful work and gain incredible experience.
  • Go and explore the Inca Trails - hike up to Machu Picchu, and walk down the trails of Sacred Valley.
  • Go for the Rainbow Mountains trek and be amazed by nature's beauty.
  • Learn more about Peruvian culture & heritage.

• 9-10 rating 86.11%
  • 7-8 rating 12.5%
  • 5-6 rating 1.39%
Abbygale

Medical Volunteering in Cusco

I loved my volunteering experience in Cusco. I lived with a wonderful family with 2 children. The kids loves me and the whole family helped me improve my Spanish. My program was more than I could have expected. I am currently a pre-medicine student with limited experience, but I really felt like I could help. I also learned a lot. The nurses were all very nice and willing to teach me. I learned how to give vaccines, do finger pricks for hemoglobin levels, and do muestras for the lab. There is a lot of paperwork in the clinics and all medical centers in Peru, making it hard for the centers to see many patients during the day. I did some paperwork, but I always felt helpful too. There are so many places to see in Cusco. There are many ruins close by that you can visit after work and so many options for day trips. I became friends with Brazilians who were also in my program. It was a great program for anyone interested in helping an under-privileged medical center. 10/10 recommend, especially if you know even a little Spanish.

Come to Peru with an open mind. The food is going to be different and things are not going to be like your country. You need to try your best and you will gain a lot from this program. If you want to meet people, you will. If you want to learn, they will teach. If you want to improve your Spanish, they will help. And also, ENJOY.
Aline

João e Aline em Cusco

Translated by Go Overseas:

We really liked the project, we had the opportunity to follow Clinical Medicine, Obstetrics and Pediatrics for 2 weeks. The health system is a little bureaucratic, but we were still able to participate and learn from the professionals.
We also really liked the place where we stayed. We stayed at Elizabeth's house, who was always very attentive and helpful with us. During the project, on the weekends, we went to Machu Picchu and the Mountain of 7 colors, in addition to having the opportunity to get to know the city of Cusco, which is charming and full of history, very well.

Original Review:
Nós gostamos muito do projeto, tivemos a oportunidade de acompanhar Clínica Médica, Obstetrícia e Pediatria durante 2 semanas. O sistema de saúde é um pouco burocrático, mas mesmo assim pudemos participar e aprender com os profissionais.
Também gostamos muito do local em que ficamos. Ficamos hospedados na casa da Elizabeth, que foi sempre muito atenciosa e prestativa conosco. Durante o projeto, nos finais de semana, fomos a Machu Picchu e a Montanha das 7 cores, além de termos a oportunidade de conhecer muito bem a cidade de Cusco, que é encantadora e cheia de história.

Translated by Go Overseas:

The project was very good, but the Peruvian health system is a little bureaucratic.

Original:

Foi muito bom o projeto, mas o sistema de saúde peruano é um pouco burocrático.
Amanda

Increible!

Translated by Go Overseas:

The days I was in Peru were absolutely wonderful! The city is beautiful and there is much to do and know. For 2 weeks I have made many good trips and met Machu Picchu, something I always dreamed of. The program is special, I learned a lot in the health clinic and met very kind patients and very competent health professionals and patients. I felt safe and welcome in my home and in the city, my host family was absolutely charming and hospitable, I will miss them. I loved my stay and I recommend it to everyone!

Original:

Los días que estuve en Peru fueron absolutamente maravillosos! La cuidad és linda e hay mucho lo que hacer e conocer. Por 2 semanas he hecho muchas buenas viajes y conoci a Machu Picchu, algo que siempre sueñé. El programa es especial, aprendí mucho en la clínica de salud y conoci a pacientes muy amables e profesionales de la salud muy competentes y pacientes. Me sentí segura y bienvenida en mi casa y en la ciudad, mi familia anfitriana era absolutamente encantadora y hospitalaria, los voy a extrañar. Me encantó mi estancia y lo recomiendo a todos!

What was your funniest moment?
Translated by Go Overseas:

Being able to travel to various corners of Peru on the weekends.

Original:

Poder viajar pra vários cantos do Peru nos finais de semanas.
Emma

Experience a Buena vista

Translated by Go Overseas:

I was part of the program at the health center of Buena Vista, it was very interesting to see the different ways to approach health in Peru. The people were very nice and I was able to go to all the services of the health center to observe (doctors, obstetricians, psychologist ...). In addition the family I was in was great, lots of good times together and it allows to know the life of people in Peru. I really loved this experience. This also allows to visit the region which is beautiful, with all the archaeological sites. The city is also very beautiful, its center is super nice. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who wants to discover a culture and live with people.

Original Review:

J' ai fait partie du programme au centre de santé de Buena Vista, c'était très intéressant de voir les différentes manières d'approcher la santé au Pérou. Les gens étaient très gentils et j'ai pu aller dans tous les services du centre de santé pour observer ( les médecins, les obstétriciennes, la psychologue...). De plus la famille dans laquelle j'étais était super, plein de bon moments passé ensemble et ça permet de connaître la vie des gens au Pérou. J'ai vraiment adoré cette expérience. Cela permet aussi de visiter la région qui est magnifique, avec tous les sites archéologiques. La ville est aussi très belle, son centre est super chouette. Je conseille fortement cette expérience à toutes les personnes qui ont envie de découvrir une culture et de vivre avec les gens.

Maybe having some activities with the other volunteers to know each other.
Morgan

Cusco medical experience

It was a lot of fun here in cusco during these 2 weeks. My host family was very nice, cooked for me every day including on Sundays delicious peruanian meals making me discover the food culture of this country.
My time at the medical center was great too, had a very nice doctor supervising me and making me do the physical examination of the patients.
Since I had work only during the mornings, had plenty of time to discover Cusco and surroundings during the afternoon. The staff at the medical center would give me Fridays as a day off, so I had the opportunity to travel a bit further and went to the Machu Picchu as well on a weekend. It was a great experience travelling solo too, a bit challenging but worth it.

Overall great experience, would recommend it !

Study well your Spanish before coming, it well help you a lot with you family and your volunteer work.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Thanks for leaving us a wonderful review Morgan !! Glad to know that you had a great experience volunteering in the medical program and exploring Cusco as well as travelling to Machu Pichu. Thanks for recommending the program to other volunteers looking to travel to Peru. We look forward to having you in our other programs too.

Claire

Expérience à Cusco

Translated by Go Overseas:

This stay in Cusco allowed me to meet many people, be it the family or other friendships that were created. Being in a family allowed me to better understand the culture and to have a "security" in case of problem. In addition, we have discovered extraordinary landscapes such as Rainbow Mountains or Machu Picchu for example and many other activities. Finally, my experience in two schools was very enriching to understand how the system worked, what was their pedagogy and the meeting with the different children was wonderful and very endearing. I also had the opportunity to meet other volunteers who did not necessarily work in the school field and we were able to discuss our various experiences.

Original:

Ce séjour à Cusco m’a permis de rencontrer beaucoup de personnes, que ce soit la famille ou d’autres amitiés qui se sont crées. Être dans une famille m’a permis de mieux comprendre la culture et d’avoir une « sécurité » en cas de problème. De plus, nous avons pu découvrir des paysages extraordinaires comme les Rainbow Mountains ou le Machu Picchu par exemple et de nombreuses autres activités. Finalement, mon expérience dans deux écoles a été très enrichissante pour comprendre comment fonctionnait le système, quelle était leur pédagogie et la rencontre avec les différents enfants était merveilleuse et très attachante. J’ai également eu l’occasion de rencontrer d’autres volontaires qui ne travaillaient pas forcément dans le domaine scolaire et nous avons pu échanger sur nos diverses expériences.

Translated by Go Overseas:

For future volunteers, I advise them to be open to the culture and to the people they will meet in order to live a unique experience and to be curious so as not to miss anything

Original:

Pour les futurs volontaires, je leurs conseils d’être ouvert à la culture et aux personnes qu’ils vont rencontrer afin de vivre une expérience unique et d’être curieux afin de ne rien manquer
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Claire,
Thanks for leaving us a review. We are delighted to know that you had a fabulous time in Cusco, Peru and enjoyed the volunteer program as well as the extra activities and excursions. It is good to know that you found the experience of working at the two school projects as enriching. Your advise for future volunteers would be very helpful as well to the upcoming participants. Once again, thanks for joining our program in Cusco, Peru and we look forward to your participation in other destinations as well.

Valentina

Mi experiencia en Peru

Translated by Go Overseas:

I loved everything about this trip. From the city, to the family and the program. My favorite part was to be able to teach and play with the children and the bond that I formed with them, to give them love and the love they gave me. The garden I went to is wonderful and the teachers are very friendly. The family I was with was also amazing, very loving, the house very comfortable and the food delicious; They made me feel very good and welcome. I loved the show's location too. Being in Cusco I could have the opportunity to meet many of the most beautiful places in the world, Machu picchu, the mountain of colors and all the Inca archaeological sites. It is a very safe place, and all the tours, the program and everything in general very organized.

Original Review:

Me encanto todo acerca de este viaje. Desde la ciudad, hasta la familia y el programa. Mi parte favorita fue poder enseñar y jugar con los niños y el vínculo que formé con ellos, darles amor y el amor que ellos me dieron a mi. El jardín al que fui, es maravilloso y las profesoras muy amables. La familia con la cual estuve también fue increíble , muy amorosa, la casa muy cómoda y la comida deliciosa; me hicieron sentir muy bien y bienvenida. La locación del programa también me encanto. Por estar en Cusco pude tener la oportunidad de conocer muchos de los lugares más lindos del mundo, Machupicchu, la montaña de colores y todos los sitos arqueológicos incas. Es un sitio muy seguro, y todos los tours, el programa y todo en general muy organizado.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was alpaca meat. I tried it for the first time at Agua Calientes, after we left Machupicchu, and it was very delicious.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Valentina,
Thanks for leaving us an awesome review and giving a 10/10 rating. Thank you so much for such a kind review. We are so happy you had such an amazing time in Peru. We LOVE your pictures too!!

Luísa

Internship programs

I did a medical internship in Cusco, and it was nice, but the website says that we can go to surgeries and do sutures and other procedures, but we don’t do this things. We don’t even go to hospitals, it’s a public clinic that we work in. But the family was great, the mom of the house helped us with everything, gave a key to each of us, cooked for us, and she was really attentive. People that come to Cusco need to be careful with the food that they eat, because there is a lot of places that are not safe and really dirty. You should check the rate in some website to see if you can eat there. The city of Cusco has a great center, with a lot of places to eat and a lot of travel agencies, that you can book your trips. I recommend people to do the colorful mountain, Machu Picchu by train, laguna humantay and secret valley. It was a great experience!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
When I arrived in Cusco, I saw a lot of things I didn’t expect, like the structure of the city... it’s not beautiful and it’s really pour. But when you travel around Cusco, you can find some incredible places, like the colorful mountain and the humantay lake.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hello Luisa,
Thanks for leaving us a review and for recommending the program to others. We are happy to know that you had a good time overall. In regards to the medical/healthcare placements, participants mainly work in public healthcare clinics which are located in suburban Cusco area. These clinics are not adequately staffed and hence offer a good opportunity to the volunteers. Participants mainly play the role of assistants to the medical staff and tasks can vary at the project on a daily basis. Glad to know that you liked staying with a host family. It is definitely a highlight of stay of many participants since you can improve your Spanish and immerse in their local culture. Thanks for recommending the weekend trips to the volunteers as well.