Volunteer in Peru | Most Affordable Volunteering & Internship Projects

Volunteering Solutions, in association with the local organizations and NGOs, offers some interesting and affordable volunteering projects in the city of Cusco. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. You can be a volunteer and meaningfully contribute towards the lives of these people. You can choose to volunteer for Teaching Project, Kindergarten Program, Disabled Care Project and others, depending on your areas of interest.

Students who wish to become dentists in future can also choose the Dental Elective Program and gain first-hand work experience by shadowing the professionals. Also, being such a culturally rich country, volunteering in Peru will help you to broaden your horizon and learn more about the country's history, heritage and lifestyle.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program in Cusco-Peru!

• Choose from a range of 8 different programs available in Cusco, for a minimum duration of 1 week to a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • Get a chance to do some meaningful work and gain incredible experience.
  • Go and explore the Inca Trails - hike up to Machu Picchu, and walk down the trails of Sacred Valley.
  • Go for the Rainbow Mountains trek and be amazed by nature's beauty.
  • Learn more about Peruvian culture & heritage.

Rafaela

El mejor viaje de mi vida

When I decided to come to Cusco, Peru, my expectations were very low in terms of the city, its environment and its people because it is not a place that according to what I found in google was very developed, that's why when I arrived and started Living the experience I realized that I was TOTALLY WRONG. From the second day, when I went with Kelly to the city tour, I realized that I was in a dream place, full of colors, kind people, affordable economy and above all history. I started spending days with Mama Edidth and I realized that this place had become my second home, the attention, the permanent assistance of her at all times made me feel at home ... the taste of their food is inexplicable, His human warmth is incredible and his way of treating people made me feel happy in Cusco. In the school where I was, I met many children of different personalities, stories and characteristics, but each of them left me a teaching, I leave a memory and a photograph full of love. Each one of the people that made part of this trip made me feel at home, made me understand a different but incredible reality, it made me feel that what I came to do was very worthwhile and above all they helped me to grow as a person and as woman. THANKS to everyone for making this trip the best of my life. I HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON It made me understand a different but incredible reality, it made me feel that what I came to do was very worthwhile and above all they helped me to grow as a person and as a woman. THANKS to everyone for making this trip the best of my life. I HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON It made me understand a different but incredible reality, it made me feel that what I came to do was very worthwhile and above all they helped me to grow as a person and as a woman. THANKS to everyone for making this trip the best of my life. I HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON

Original review:
Cuando decidí venir a Cusco, perú, mis expectativas eran muy bajas en cuanto a la ciudad, a su ambiente y sus personas debido a que no es un lugar que según lo que encontré en google fuera muy desarrollado, por eso cuando llegue y empecé a vivir la experiencia me di cuenta que estaba TOTALMENTE EQUIVOCADA. A partir del segundo día, cuando fui con Kelly a dar el tour por la ciudad me di cuenta que estaba en un lugar de sueño, lleno de colores, de personas amables, de economía accesible y sobretodo de historia. Empecé a pasar días con Mamá Edidth y me di cuenta que este lugar de había convertido en mi segundo hogar, la atención, la permanente asistencia de ella en todo momento me hizo sentir como en casa... el sabor de su comida es inexplicable , su calor humano es increíble y su manera de tratar a las personas me hizo sentir feliz en Cusco. En la escuela donde estuve conocí muchos niños de diferentes personalidades, historias y características, pero cada uno de ellos me dejó una enseñanza, me dejo un recuerdo y una fotografía llena de amor. Cada una de las personas que hizo parte de este viaje me hizo sentir como en casa, me hizo entender una realidad diferente pero increíble, me hizo sentir que lo que vine a hacer valió muchísimo la pena y sobretodo me ayudaron a crecer como persona y como mujer. GRACIAS a todos por hacer de este viaje el mejor de mi vida. ESPERO VERLOS PRONTO

Sandy

Cusco volunteer as kindergarten teacher assistant

This is my first time experience with volunteering solutions and the experience was fantastic! The kids are all so cute and passionate, the kindergarten teacher really has so much to offer! I really admire her strength and courage!

The only thing I regret is not to learn more Spanish before I came, otherwise I would be able to communicate with the children more :). Highly recommend people to do so before coming

It’s all good
Lisa

Voluntariado en Cusco, San Jeronimo

Translation:
From the first moment I felt very good in the family and in the project. The people here are very welcoming and open. In the family they treated me as one more member. I also liked the work in the garden, the children were very affectionate. In the afternoon and on weekends there was still time to travel. I can really recommend this volunteering to combine a social work with knowing another culture! With Volsol, everything is very well organized. In total it was a unique experience that will please every person who is interested in knowing the life of another country!

Desde el primer momento me sentí muy bien en la familia y en el proyecto. La gente aquí es muy acogedora y abierta. En la familia me trataron como un miembro más. También me gustó mucho el trabajo en el jardín, los niños eran muy cariñosos. Por la tarde y los fines de semana aún quedaba tiempo para viajar. Realmente puedo recomendar este voluntariado para combinar un trabajo social con conocer otra cultura! Con Volsol además todo está muy bien organizado. En total era una experiencia única que le va a gustar a cada persona que esté interesada en conocer la vida de otro país!

Katja

Nice Experiences

The experiences in Cusco and Peru were amazing. Cusco is a beautiful city where you can make a lot of things. I made tours to Macchu Pichu, to the Rainbowmountains, to the Titicacalake and a lot of other wonderful things.Living in the hostfamily was great. The family was really very nice noch and food was awesome.
It was interesting to compare the work in a school in Peru with it in Germany. It is very different.

Osvaldo

Medicine in Cusco

I take for weeks in Perú, helping in a hospital and also learning while I was there.
On those for weeks I saw many amazing things, meet a lot of great people and enjoy touristic places in cusco and surroundings, there is a lot of things to do that I didn't have the time to see all, but thats a good thing for me beacuse it means I need to came back some day.
I think this experience is something unique and I will love to have more just like this one.

By trying to help the local hospitals to get more resourses
Floriane

Volontariat Ecole maternelle

Translation:
I went to Peru for only two weeks, but it was an exceptional experience! The family was very welcoming even though, when I arrived, I did not speak any Spanish. In addition, the food was just sublime! From Monday to Friday, I attended a small nursery school. There, too, I had excellent moments with the children and the teacher Marie who was wonderful and always understanding towards us! On weekends and afternoons, we had free time to discover the beautiful city of Cusco and its surroundings! Even after two short weeks, I saw many aspects of this fantastic country!

Je suis partie au Perou pour deux semaines seulement, mais c'etait une experience exceptionnelle! La famille etait tres accueillante même si, à mon arrivée, je ne parlait aucun mot d'espagnol. En plus, la nourriture était juste sublime! Du lundi au vendredi, j'assistais dans une petite école maternelle. Là-aussi j'ai vécu d'excellents moments avec les enfants et la prof Marie qui était formidable et toujours compréhensive envers nous! Le weekend et les après-midi, on avait du temps libre pour découvrir la magnifique ville de Cusco et son environnement! Même après deux petites semaines, j'ai vu plusieurs aspects de ce pays fantastique!

Translation:
I have no other comments, the program was perfect!

Je n'ai pas d'autres commentaires, le programme était parfait!
Carolina

Amazing!

Our 4 weeks in cusco have been amazing. Our host family Made us feel like home and I really enjoied the program itself, with children, the headmaster of our kindergarden included us in the work and she really was an inspiration.
Our coordinator has been really supportive during all the time.
We have met new friends from the whole world and i feel enriched by this experience.
Basically.. averything was perfect!

Giada

Experiencia increíble

Translation:
I loved the family especially Mama Gloria who was like a mother, I felt like at home, also Pope Luis who always helped us find out things. In the house there were two children Laura and Luis who treated me like another sister. The volunteering was incredible and the teacher Julieta taught us many things. I was helping in the classes, dancing with the kids and playing.
The staff always took us into consideration and valued our opinion.

Me encantó la familia sobretodo mamá Gloria que fue como una vera mamá, me sentí como en mi casa, también el papa Luis que siempre nos ayudó a averiguar cosas. En la casa avian tanbien dos niños Laura y Luis que me trataron como un hermana mas. El voluntariado fue increíble y la profe Julieta nos enseñó muchisimas cosas. Estuve ayudando en la clases, bailando con lo chicos y jugando.
Siempre el personal nos tomó en consideración y valoró nuestra opinión.

Claudia

Pronoei san jeronimo

Me parecio super buena experiencia. La coordinacion y apoyo del staff excelente.
La familia de acogida muy buena. Son preocupados y acogedores. Muy feliz con ellos.
El proyecto como tal se me hizo corto por los 2 feriados y 1 dia menos por reunion de profesores. Falto mas comunicación con la profesora para saber que espera de los voluntarios y contarnos la rutina con los niños.
Pense que iba a tener más comunicacion con otros voluntarios, en eso me senti sola, ya que el dia que llegue hice sola el city tour. Deberian organizar una reunion para presentarnos entre los voluntarios, cuando uno llega. esa es mi unica sugerencia.

Translation:
Present the first day with the teacher at 1:00 pm (departure of the children from the garden ..) to talk with her more formally what is expected of the volunteer and to know the routine of the children in one day.
Organize a reunion on Mondays to meet the volunteers' expectations to participate during the duration of the program.

Original:
Presentarnos el.primer dia con la.profesora a las 13.00 (salida de los niños del jardin..) para conversar con ella mas formal lo que se espera del voluntario y conocer la.rutina de los.niños.en un día.
Organizar los lunes una.reunion para conocer al.resto de los.voluntarios para.compartir durante lo que dure el.programa
Jennifer

Clinic Anta

It was fun volunteering in the clinic located in Anta. I spent 3 weeks and wish I spent more time. I was placed in the laboratory of the clinic. I was able to learn how to prepare different slides and how to draw blood. I also learned how to test for anemia using different methods and many other things. Spanish was an extremely useful asset in the lab because it allowed for better communication. I was able to learn more because of my Spanish. Definitely bring gloves. I forgot to buy them and thankfully other volunteers that I went to the clinic with gave me some. It is alittle difficult finding the clinic using Google maps, but during the orientation they do show you how to get there. Living with the host family and other volunteers was a great way to experience Cusco. We would go on trips together and bond over meals.

Having the location of the home stay and placement with more time would be more helpful.
Andres

Cusco Medical Service

I stayed in Cusco for a month doing the medical service program. Honestly, I was surprised, but in a good here. When I came here I didn’t know what to expect, but am I glad that I applied. The family home I stayed at was excellent, they were very nice and flexible with the food and capable of accommodating to my needs. The program itself was great, the staff there are super friendly and they will allow you to participate in as many things as you feel comfortable, as well as teach you that which you do not know. I vaccinated, shadowed doctors, did triage, and more. Overall a very positive experience. I personally recommend to find a way to get in touch with as many volunteers as possible, in order to make your afternoons more enjoyable (you must do this yourself, as VolSol introduces you to the volunteers that arrive the same time you do, but not those that arrived earlier or afterwards). I did many tours which I recommend ( Laguna Huamantay, Rainbow Mountain and Machu Picchu), however I do not recommend traveling with Inca Time, I feel they are overpriced and don’t offer good enough services (or attention) for the amount of money that they ask. Finding another tour agency at the main plaza or the internet is better, and easy enough. Overall my experience was amazing, but remember that the people you meet makes up 50% of your time here.

In general, VolSol should try to find away to allow volunteers to get in contact with each other.
Ibanté

A Summer In Cusco

I have sincerely enjoyed my time in Cusco under the auspices of Volunteering Solutions. Initially hesitant to travel to a new country on my own, I found that I was welcomed warmly within my host family and other volunteers. I enjoyed spending my afternoons and evenings wih my host family eating Peruvian meals and snacks as well as with volunteers going for outings. During the weekends, I explored Cusco and Peru at large. The highlight of my trip being visiting Puno and the Uros Islands as well as the trip to Machu Picchu. At my assignment I was given the opportunity to learn and perform duties that allowed me to gain a greater knowledge of the medical field and the healthcare system within Peru. Vaccinations were the highlight of my medical volunteering where I had an opportunity to explore the neighborhoods and administer vaccines! Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this program to anyone looking to have a great chance to expand their horizons, improve their Spanish, and learn and explore a lot along the way.

Would be nice to see that the clinic is a bit more funded.
Khari

Amazing Life Changing Experience

I had the best time staying in Cuzco, Peru. I chose VolSol because the program had a lot to offer and the price was super reasonable. When I arrived I felt incredibly welcomed by my coordinator Kely, and then again when I arrived at my host family’s. I really felt like one big family here with all the love from other volunteers and my host mother. My project was working with pre-school aged kids from 3-4 and I absolutely adored them. We had so much fun daily with learning, playing, and doing arts and crafts together. This trip changed my perspective the most on how to be more mindful, and grateful. People take a lot of things for granted and the most important thing I am taking away from this is to just be in the moment, soak in your surroundings as best as you can, and just be one with the environment that you chose to be in!

Although I had such a blessed time with the children, I did not get the opportunity to teach them a bit of English like the program stated. Otherwise everything else exceeded my expectations!
Sara

Mi experiencia fue fenomenal

Translated Review: "My volunteer program for 3 weeks was wonderful. I Supported a kindergarten teacher who had 35 children of different ages. My help was valued.
My host family was attentive and friendly. My roommate was a volunteer from Australia. She and I had a great time, in the afternoons we went for a walk and explore Cusco.
The VolSol staff is friendly, welcoming and welcoming to my stay.
My trip to the Sacred Valley and Machupichu was unforgettable.
I recommend this program to all those people who wish to visit Peru."

Original Review: "Mi programa de voluntariado durante mis 3 semanas fue maravillosa. Apoye en un kinder a una maestra q tenía 35 niños de diferentes edades. Mi ayuda fue valorada.
Mi familia anfitriona fue atenta y amable. Mi compañera de habitación fue una voluntaria de Australia. Ella y yo la pasamos muy bien, por las tardes salíamos a pasear y explorar Cusco.
El staff de VolSol es amigable, acogedor y estuvieron al pendiente de mi estancía.
Mi viaje al Valle sagrado y Machupichu fue inolvidable."
Yo recomiendo este programa a todas aquellas personas que desean visitar Peru.

Excelente
Anna

Review

Translated: "In the first place, the Anta health center, in my opinion, is too far away and we depend on too many means of transport, it is quite risky given the driving of the people here.

Secondly, in my impression, I have not helped what I would like. I have not participated as much in the activities of the center as I would have liked. There is not so much work for so many volunteers. I have not felt one more within the professionals. I have not learned what I would like or achieved initially set goals such as healing wounds, putting vaccines ...

Good thing, we have seen two births! And I have learned to take manual blood pressure."

Original: En primer lugar, el centro de Salud de Anta, en mi opinión, está demasiado lejos y dependemos de demasiados medios de transporte, es bastabte arriesgado dado la conducción de la gente de aquí.

En segundo lugar, en mi impresión, no he ayudado lo que me gustaría. No he participado tanto en las actividades del centro como me hubiese gustado. No hay tanta faena para tantos voluntarios. No me he sentido una más dentro de los profesionales. No he aprendido lo que me gustaría ni conseguido objetivos planteados inicialmente como curar heridas, poner vacunas...

Lo bueno, hemos podido ver dos partos! Y he aprendido a tomar la tensión arterial manual.

Translated: "The proximity of the center.
The organization within center for volunteers."

Original: La proximidad del centro.
La organización dentro de centro para los voluntarios.

About Volunteering Solutions

Since 2007, Volunteering Solutions (VolSol) has been working with the aim of providing support to the underprivileged societies of the world in order to make a difference. Over the last 11 years, VolSol has placed more than 13,200 volunteers across...