Volunteer in Peru | Most Affordable Volunteering & Internship Projects

Volunteering Solutions, in association with the local organizations and NGOs, offers some interesting and affordable volunteering projects in the city of Cusco. Despite the popularity of Peru as a tourist destination, much of the population still lives in poverty, especially in rural areas. You can be a volunteer and meaningfully contribute towards the lives of these people. You can choose to volunteer for Teaching Project, Kindergarten Program, Disabled Care Project and others, depending on your areas of interest.

Students who wish to become dentists in future can also choose the Dental Elective Program and gain first-hand work experience by shadowing the professionals. Also, being such a culturally rich country, volunteering in Peru will help you to broaden your horizon and learn more about the country's history, heritage and lifestyle.

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Summer Volunteer Program in Cusco-Peru!

• Choose from a range of 8 different programs available in Cusco, for a minimum duration of 1 week to a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • Get a chance to do some meaningful work and gain incredible experience.
  • Go and explore the Inca Trails - hike up to Machu Picchu, and walk down the trails of Sacred Valley.
  • Go for the Rainbow Mountains trek and be amazed by nature's beauty.
  • Learn more about Peruvian culture & heritage.

Nguyen

Volunteering With Deaf Children In Peru

First, my host mum Edith is one of the kindest and funniest people I've ever met. I lived in her home well fed with great food cooked by her and her maid, and I slept comfortably in a decent size room with warm blankets. Second, I had the pleasure to work with deaf children from the age of 3 - 8 at San Martin school of disability. The kids are crazy energetic. It was tiring work, and sometimes I do feel like quitting. But I learned to be patient and this would not have been possible if it wasn't for the love I have for the kids. They might be a crazy bunch, but they are so full of compassion and intelligence I just couldn't help but fell in love with them all. Last, Volunteering Solutions is incredibly fast at answering emails. One of their staffs here in Peru, Kelly, is great. She showed us around the center of Cusco and informed us about the bus system, restaurants we should eat at and food that we should avoid.
Overall, this is probably one of the most fun I have had. The program allows us a lot of free time to enjoy and explore Cusco. But this awesome experience wouldn't have been possible without my fellow volunteers. I was able to meet people from Germany, Italy, UK and America (from 4 different states) - bare in mind that there were 9 volunteers living in the same host family as I am.

The program should organize kids with not too much of the age difference with each other. I met this girl who was twice my age, and her interests are totally different from mine and the other volunteers'. Therefore, it was very difficult for her to follow and enjoy the conversations during the meals we had together.
I love meeting people, but on my second week here, we had quite too many volunteers that our host mum had to sleep on the couch and not have a place to sit on the dinner table. This ruined the family vibe I had with my group in the first week. However, I have to say that as a family, we did laugh a lot harder than the first week ;D
The program should inform their volunteers that there are many options regarding trips to places such as Mach Pichu. The trip offered by the program was very expensive compared to the other trips my friends and I were able to find.
It would've been a lot better of an experience if Peru would've gotten through the World Cup's qualifying round.
Christian

Volunteering Experience in Peru

My experience as a volunteer in Peru was truly amazing. From the second i stepped foot into Cusco and the school I felt safe and welcomed. I enjoyed helping the staff and the children as well as the traveling to get to know the surroundings and the culture of Cusco. With time I was given more resposibilities and I realized that we can actually make an impact in the life of the students.
The host family was great. Very nice and helpful people who stand by your side whenever you need them. My favorite part about Peru was the close proximity to locals and the variety of tasty food offered to us.

chantelle

chantelle's experience

I felt very safe with the staff and the people here. I do wish that it was more guided in terms of transportation as we were unaware that speaking Spanish was basically a necessity, but after the first few days we got the hang of it and I quite liked the independence of the program. Our program leader Kelly had to take me to the hospital at one point, and I have never felt more cared for. The staff, other volunteers, and our lovely host mom made us feel very accepted and welcomed. It was a wonderful experience and very affordable for me as a student looking to help without money.

I think a better sense of how much Spanish is required would be lovely so others can know what to expect and can learn more before they arrive.
Thomas

Thomas's trip

Most of my notes were made on my sheet where I reviewed each week, so I will try to keep this brief. The trip was amazing. For the price, I can't believe what we all got. Stay, food, and the trip included. It is great. We had so much fun. The kids were a handful but were still so amazing. I am going to miss them and hope that one day I can see them again. There were some days where they would spit on me and hit me, and some days where they would sit there and rest their head on my shoulder. Each day I never knew what to expect and I loved it. I felt like I built such a good relationship with them and when I was leaving they wouldn't stop giving me hugs. In all honesty I was nervous and not overly excited to work with kindergarten students just because I know how they can be, but by the end of the program I found myself wanting to stay longer. This program has made me want to do so much more in my community and makes me want to make more of an impact at home.

As for the after volunteer hours, my girlfriend and I had an amazing time. I was able to try Alpaca, guinea pig, lamb, and octopus. I enjoyed it all. The restaurants are amazing and all speak fairly decent english. We also got to experience some nice massages for really good prices. Everything here is priced very well and getting by is a lot easier without speaking spanish than I would've thought. Everything in this country is amazing and I want to come back one day.

Maybe a little more description on how traveling to the project would be. And the amount of english people speak here because we thought that there would be more.
Manfredi

Manfredi Bizzarri Review

The experience was really positive: I came in contact with a different reality I had never experienced before. The teachers were welcoming, helpful and trusting: I progressively was given more responsibilities and felt I could really make a difference in the kids' school life.
I learnt how to treat children with disabilities and I developed important skills such as patience and perseverance. Overall I am glad I chose this program since it suited me perfectly.

Istvan

Medical Volunteering Mission in Peru - Alex Bittles

I had the most wonderful time during my three weeks in Cusco. It was a great way to gain some more experience in the medical field while practicing my Spanish speaking skills. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys helping others, experiencing other cultures, and practicing their Spanish. I will definitely return in the future to do something like this again, and to see all of the wonderful people I met along the way.

susan

Worth it! Learned a lot

The program was truly amazing! Although, I would recommend speaking some level of spanish. You get a lot more out of it if you speak the language. The staff here was very helpful and our host family was amazing and sweet. In the weekends you can travel to many places like machupichu, huacachina, lake Titicaca, rainbow mountian, arequipa, etc. honestly there are a lot of things to do in the weekend. The placement was not a hospital, but a clinic, so there are no surgeries but you do get to learn a lot. Injections, suturing, cleaning wounds, etc. The exposure was amazing especially if you already have some medical training. Some tips include in the markets there isnt 100% alpaca, there are many good restaurants to try, and explore as much as you can! Also, bring gloves and some medical equipment because the clinics are very poor.

The program could be improved by maybe giving volunteers tips before going so that you dont get ripped off in peru, what restaurants are safe to consume food at, etc. Other than that it was pretty great.
Istvan

Medical Volunteering Mission

I liked the hoast family we stayed with and how the staff helped us with everything. I was a little disapointed at the description of the program because it stated that we would be assistissng in surgery and shadow doctors, but we never did any of that. What we mostly worked on was cleaning wounds and putting injections. The hospital practices were unsterill and we had to bring our own gloves and medical equipment. We had multiple ocations were we bought needles for patients that were poor (the staff would reuse old needles if we didnt buy new ones). Other than that Peru is a beautiful country with many hidden treasures. I would recommend visiting Huacachina and Huayana Picchu. If you choose this mission trip I wish you best of luck. Just remember that nothing in cusco is real alpaca apart from the high end stores. Sweaters should be 20-35 Soles in the San Pedro market (for 20% alpaca).

I would want a system of checks and balances to make sure that we are meeting the description of the program. And the ability to relocate if its not being met.
Maria

Review of Peru Experience

I appreciated living with a family and working and living a local life away from most tourists part of the time. The family we stayed with made us feel welcome and included us in their lives. We were able to assist in the preschool and connect with the children and teacher. One teacher taught 22 children, so we were able to assist the class with crafts and other activities. After the first day we understood the schedule, so we felt useful in the classroom and could also work one on one with the children when we had time. Two memories stand out- one assisting with the morning exercises at the preschool, the other watching local children participate in traditional dances at a school.

No comments.
Jamie

Review of Peru Experience

I have loved my volunteering experience here in Cusco, Peru. We worked with kids in a preschool in a nearbye town to Cusco. It was wonderful to get to help the teacher. She has 22 students, ages 3 and 4. The kids had lots of energy and all wanted attention from the teacher. She handles it well, but she greatly appreciated our help. The family we stayed with was extremely nice and helpful and the people from Volunteering Solutions were very helpful as well. All in all it was a wonderful experience.

It would be helpful to know more information about the plan before coming to the trip. We arrived with little knowledge of what we would do, but everything turned out well.
Niamh

Daycare Center in Cusco, Peru

I had an incredible experience with Volunteering Solutions in Cusco, Peru for two weeks. This was my first time traveling alone, and I felt completely secure throughout my trip. I was placed with a wonderful host family who made me feel so welcome. It was very easy to take the public bus to my volunteer work in a daycare center every morning. The children in the daycare center are extraordinary. They are so friendly and eager to learn. I always felt needed while I was there, and I left there every afternoon feeling fulfilled and joyful. There were many large public protests in Cusco while I was there, and the Peruvian coordinators of Volunteering Solutions made every effort to make sure the other volunteers and I were safe. The entire experience was unforgettable and a great way to practice my Spanish. I definitely want to volunteer with Volunteering Solutions in the future!

No, I don't recommend
Samantha

2 week special in Cusco, Peru with Volunteering Solutions

This program was an amazing experience for me. I was only in Cusco for 2 weeks but I wish I could have stayed forever! My host family was very nice, my accomodation was great, it was clean and the meals were very good too. I loved my placement, I worked at the kindergarten and I loved working with the kids, I really felt like I was making a difference, the teachers there really needed the help. As for my coordinator, Jenny, she was amazing, she always answered all of my questions and was always there for me. She always made sure that we were safe. Cusco is a very beautiful place and there are a lot of things to see there, so I definetly enjoyed being able to explore the city and get to know the amazing Peruvian culture. One of my highlights was meeting other volunteers from different parts of the world. I made really good friends that I hope to keep in touch with for a long time. Overall, I loved it, it was one of the best experiences that I've had and I really recommend it.

Jordan

My Cusco Experience

I stayed in Cusco with a lovely Peruvian family. Gloria was my host mum, Reese, my host father and their two children, Luis, and Laura. They all made me feel very welcome despite a bit of a language barrier. Me an Luis would play football up on the roof of the house and I taught him some new games. Laura liked to draw and I would draw her pictures and make plasticine animals for her, I even helped make her a frog costume for a school project. My placement involved traveling to the outskirts of the city to help at a kindergarten. The kindergarten itself was a very small room and in one day could have as much as 30 children, ages 3-5, attend. My duties included marking and preparing homework, helping the children with their work, playing games with the children and generally helping the teacher take care of the class. While I was volunteering at the kindergarten the class was also preparing for a parade so I was also involved in leading the class through a marching routine outside and supervising the children.
As well as volunteering in Peru I was also given the opportunity to see some of the sights in my spare time alongside some of the other volunteers. I went to see many of the Inca ruins; Sacsayhuaman, Ollantayambo, Pukapukara and Machu Pichu, to name a few. I also rode a pony up Rainbow Mountain. My programme also included a visit to a bakery to see how some of the local bread was made. Overall I had an amazing time in Cusco, had many wonderful experiences and met many wonderful people. I would definitely recommend the programme.

Trevor

Peru - Medical Mission

This was an amazing trip! I went between my first and second years of medical school to get more patient experience and practice Spanish. I had previously lived in Spain for 2 years but had not used Spanish as much as I would have liked to since I returned to the US, so this was a great opportunity to immerse myself in the language again.

I worked in an underserved clinic from 8am to 1pm and helped triage, provide wound care, and provided medications and immunizations to patients. The nurses there were great to work with and would show me once or twice what to do and then every patient after that I was able to work with.

The host family I had was incredible! They were so interesting in my story, in my family, and in making sure that I had everything I would need while I was there. The people are truly what make these projects worth it. I was able to go to Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley, and as incredible as they are, nothing compares to the people that I worked with and lived with.

I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is wanting to practice Spanish, get medical experience, learn a new culture, and see the world.

Kelly

Pre-Med Clinical Volunteer in Cuzco

I only volunteered for about 2 weeks, so I don't have a lot of stories... but here was something that struck me as memorable. I worked in the triage room for 1-2 hours every morning where we would weigh and take the heights of everyone that came to the clinic. I quickly noticed that about 90% of the women under 40 who were visiting the clinic were there to see obstetricians. All of the women were alone and many were in their teens...I couldn't believe how many young single mothers there were! I later found out that birth control pills were free, with or without insurance. I wondered WHY so many girls were getting pregnant. After speaking to another volunteer, I found out that there is a social stigma against birth control, deep rooted in the religious views of the country.

It would be great to receive some more communication from volunteering solution before I arrive. Like maybe a little PDF of where I'm going to be staying or what the clinic is called.

About Volunteering Solutions

Since 2007, Volunteering Solutions (VolSol) has been working with the aim of providing support to the underprivileged societies of the world in order to make a difference. Over the last 11 years, VolSol has placed more than 13,200 volunteers across...