Volunteer in Kenya | Most Affordable Projects Starting From $270

Volunteer in Kenya childcare
Volunteer in Kenya childcare
Volunteer in Kenya medical
Volunteer in Kenya medical

Volunteering Solutions offers incredible and amazing volunteering opportunities in Nairobi, Kenya. Located in East Africa and known for its breathtaking scenery and diverse wildlife, Kenya has been there on every traveler's wishlist since forever. It's one of the most popular volunteering destinations as well, considering the fact that hundreds of volunteers each year travel to Kenya in order to make some meaningful contribution towards the lives of the underprivileged people. There are 4 different projects available - Orphanage Volunteering Program, Healthcare Program, Teaching Program and the 2 Weeks Special Voluntour meant for all those who have just 14 days in hand yet dreams of doing something worthy!

Being volunteer in Kenya will not only give you a chance to help the communities, but you'll also get to immerse yourself in knowing the culture, the traditions and more about the lifestyle of the people. It'll definitely turn out to be one of the best experiences of your life.

• Volunteer and help the underprivileged sections of the society to make a better future for themselves.
  • Experience the thrill of wildlife safaris and game drives in Maasai Mara and spot the African Big 5.
  • Interact with the tribal community of Masai village and learn about their traditions.
  • Gain first-hand work experience and boost your career.
  • Meet some like-minded travelers from other parts of the world and create memories that would last for a lifetime.

Joana

Gratefulness

I really enjoyed. It was a very good time. I hope I had given the little ones as much as they gave me. Makimei needs more support - progressing, I believe. Margaret and Rachel are engaged and housemothers are dedicated.
Regarding Volsol/ Go Overseas, Joe Ngugi is very kind and available. Everything was fine - accommodation, food, visits to the parks. I am pleased to be part of. Thank you for your project. Keep in touch.

Kindest regards,
Joana Barata

Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Joana, Thank you so much for the wonderful review! It sounds like you had the most amazing time =) We hope to see you again in the near future for another adventure!
Thanks
Team Volunteering Solutions

Caylan
No, I don't recommend this program

Medical volunteering

Volunteering with this company is something I wouldn’t recommend. There were so many things I did not like about the program specifically the amount of dishonesty between the guide sent out prior to leaving and reality.

It took 2.5 hours to get to the hospital daily. The staff really could care less we were there. I voiced a plethora of concerns with the coordinator of the company and his response was borderline rude. Especially when confronted about the scam of a 2-day safari. I also got sick while in Nairobi and went to a hospital for 7 hours. The staff didn’t offer to take me, suggest a hospital, or even ask how I was. Instead, I figured everything out on my own and waited alone there. Luckily I was able to figure this out but, I could imagine how scared a younger volunteer would have been if they had to do it alone.

Overall I would not recommend this company because it felt more like a business than a company that helps people.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Don’t pay to volunteer. Go directly and ask to help
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Caylan,
Thanks for your feedback. We take volunteer feedback very seriously and have discussed the issues/complaints with our in country team in Kenya. In regards to your complaint regarding the travel time/distance to the project, we have been sending volunteers to the particular hospital placement for many years now and we have never had anyone mentioning the travel time as this much.That said, there are roadworks going on between the accommodation and the hospital; a lot of places actually around the country, so it is taking slightly longer but definitely not 2 hours. In regards to the Safari, you viewed the full itinerary and details before booking the Safari as well as a detailed itinerary document was given to you before the tour. It was clearly mentioned that you are booking a 2 Day Trip, so I am not sure why you misunderstood it.
You had asked the coordinator when you were sick and wanted to know how the insurance works. The coordinator explained to you and even suggested the best hospital. You were not sure if you would go and you yourself said you would wait for a day or two to see how you feel.

The coordinator later followed up with you to see if you had gone to the hospital, and you said that he had gone and it turned out to be food poisoning. You also said you felt better. So, it is inaccurate to say that no one followed up with you.

Rosa

Amazing experience

I have spent 2 weeks in Kenya with Volunteering solutions. It was my first volunteer, as I am just 18. It was an amazing experience and I have learned a lot from it. Volunteering solutions help you with any thing you need, and that makes you feel like If you were at home. All the volunteers were very friendly and open minded, which is very important if you want to do a volunteer. If someone is thinking about volunteering I would recommend Volunteeing Solutions. I loved my project, the orphanage program, as I have said I think you learn a lot. However, Volunteering solutions give you more options, some of the volunteers I was living with, were in the school program and they told me they were very happy too.I really enjoyed the orphanage program in Kenya and I am looking forward to go back.

Rijuman

My Experience Of Volunteering With The Kids At Makimei : Thanks To Vol Sol

I was a part of the Childcare Program in Kenya for 2 weeks this March, and I must say, it was the best experience I've ever had! Being surrounded by the little ones, playing with them, helping the house mothers in preparing food, and other chores - days passed by the wink of an eye. Kenya surely has a lot of reasons to be explored, but I think I made the best choice to volunteer there, at the Children's Home. Joe and Paul have been amazing hosts for us. Also, I had the chance of visiting the school one day, with my fellow volunteers, and it has become the most memorable day of my journey. At one point, I found myself surrounded by 50 kids, who just wanted to be loved. How incredible is that! I hope to go back again someday, to meet my little friends ❤

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing for me was the way in which the kids bonded with me! (I really didn't expect something like that) They would be so happy every morning when I went there, especially Lucas, who would come running and get on my lap! It made me emotional every time I hugged him.
Riyanka

Volunteering Experience in Kenya

It was the most incredible experience I've ever had, and to be honest, I left a piece of my heart there with the children in Kenya. I was a part of the Childcare Project in Nairobi, and got to work at a children's home in the outskirts of the city. There were 5 of us, visiting this home and supporting the kids. Around 75 kids live here, of whom nearly 30 are infants and toddlers (between the age of few days to about 3 years). These are mostly abandoned kids, and getting to know their stories were extremely heart-wrenching! From the very first day, I felt like I was destined to be there and bonded with the kids, who are hungry for love. It was wonderful to see how happiness doesn't require much, and their innocence filled the place.

I had a great time playing with the children, feeding them, telling them stories and much more. It was actually difficult on the last day, to bid them goodbye.

I also got to make some friends from other parts of the world, as we lived together at the volunteer house. Over dinners, we talked about our countries and social structure, which was indeed quite interesting.

Quinn

Quinn Lodholz

This was a very positive experience! The meals were amazing and the staff was outstanding. Everything was very nice and safe for us. I would recommend this program to anyone as it is a very positive way to learn about the culture. I really appreciated the hospitality and transportation needs that were met. We were always picked up and had a very fun stay at the accommodation. The rooms were very nice and welcoming for all. We had a very nice leader that helped us with transportation to and from the hospital and helped with everyday activities. They showed us around the city and the local town as well. I really enjoyed my stay here and hope to go back again someday. I would like to thank all of the people involved in making this a trip of a lifetime. Thank you!

Kate

Kenya Hospital Volunteering

Improving the communication between the place you are volunteering and the coordinator would be helpful. Also, making sure that everyone understands their
placement would be optimal.

The hospital itself was very limited as far as resources and staff go, so with our large group it was somewhat difficult to get enough room for everyone. The organization was overall decent but sometimes confusing. Overall, the trip was great and I would do it again!

I loved how we were able to get transport to the safari at Masai Mara. That was one of the best parts of the whole trip!! The food at the homestay was wonderful. Everyone was super nice and the weather can’t be beat! The extra visit to the orphanage was a bonus, and it made a big impact. Seeing the sights around Nairobi was great, and it allowed us to get a full experience.

placement would be optimal.

Jon

Kenya 2019

The opportunity to observe healthcare in a foreign country was eyeopening. One week spent in the Tigoni government hospital was plenty of time to get a grasp of the culture and lifestyle of health care practitioners in Kenya. I got to experience first hand the stories of underprivileged patients seeking care at the hospital. The experience created lifelong memories and friendships. Without a doubt Kenya left its mark on me and I will be back in the future. k

At the beginning of our stay it felt like we were unexpected at the hospital. maybe if there was better communication between the program organizers and hospital staff our transition would have been more streamline.
Seth

Kenya 2019 Hospital Trip

Seeing Kenya and volunteering at the hospital has truly been an eye opening experience. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of this trip and experience all that I did. Everyone who helped us on this trip was excellent as well. Our coordinator Joe was always super helpful and everyone in our group appreciated his help and advice very much. Our companion at the accommodation, Paul, was equally great. Every meal he prepared for us was spectacular. We all enjoyed getting to know Joe and Paul throughout our stay. In speaking for myself, I know I will never forget the things I experienced while volunteering in the hospital. I will also always remember our trip to the orphanage. Everyone in Kenya was so welcoming to us, and I could not be happier with my experience from this trip.

I thought it was excellent. I have no advice for improvement for this program.
Ashley

Pre Medical Program Kenya

This program was super fun and educational! The program coordinator, Joe, went out of his way to make sure our volunteer group was having a great time. The homestay was in a nice area with friendly neighbors, and the accomodations provided were very nice. The food was great as well and the transportation provided got us everywhere we needed to go in a timely manner. The doctors and nurses at the hospital were also very friendly and accommodating! They all took the time to translate from Swahili to English for us to be able to understand what was happening, teaching us some Swahili along the way. Some of the doctors even took selfies with us and added us on Facebook. It was such a wonderful experience to shadow these medical professionals and gain insight into how the healthcare system works in Kenya.

The program really exceeded my expectations. Everyone involved made this experience incredible and I feel so lucky to have had this opportunity to volunteer in Kenya.
Deborah

Tigoni Hospital Volunteer

This experience was absolutely life changing! I learned so much about the healthcare system in Kenya through observing and conversing with healthcare providers in the Tigoni hospital. The communication between the hospital and Volunteering Solutions could have been better executed. I do not think that the hospital was well informed on the skill level of students that would be working with them. Even so, I could not have asked for better accommodations, guidance, and support. The way that Joe and Paul organized and provided for our group was perfect. This trip exceeded my expectations. I did not know that visiting a country with a completely different culture could be so comfortable and eye opening. I would absolutely recommend that anyone who wishes to experience Kenya in a unique way to visit through Volunteering Solutions. Thank you so much to everyone who made this trip possible.

Allison

Kenya Medical Volunteering

Amazing experience shadowing and learning from doctors and other staff members of tigoni hospital. Our group of pre medical students from the United States had an incredible time observing medicine in a different country and were taken in immediately by the staff. They were very hands on and wanted to involve us in any way they could. Not only did we get to lend a hand at the hospital but we got to explore the rest of the beautiful country of Kenya. From the local “downtown” scene to the safari in the Masai mara we were always amazed. Our program coordinator and homestay host took care of us so well. They did everything they could to make our experience comfortable and enjoyable. Incredible food, culture, and people. I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to learn and have fun!

Cait

Nairobi Kenya

The only problems I ran into were regarding the lack of lunch being provided and that the police officers in Kenya made me feel less safe than they should but that is not something that can be changed by Volunteering solutions. I did not understand why our buses were pulled over 4-5/6 days when our driver was seemingly doing nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.

Serena

Nairobi Orphange

This experience was great and life-changing. The housing was better than I expected it would be, and the orphange was in worse conditions than I pictured. But it was very humbling overall. It made me realize how blessed i am and to never take anything for granted. I met some of the nicest people during my time in Nairobi, Kenya. From the mother at the orphanage, the neighbors, the tribe members, all of the children, and so on. This was my first time out of the country and it had a lot of impact on my life. I will be returning back to Nairobi with a few others next time; my organization will be volunteering together.

With the cost of the application fee and program fee; donate some of the money to the orphanage and shelters.
Enrica

Afrika zwischen Faszination und Armut

Bei dem Abflug war innerlich Eibe Angst vor meinem eigenen Mut. Ein komplett anderes Land, eine fremde Kultur all das war vor mir. In Afrika gelandet,wusste ich, es war die beste Entscheidung meines Lebens. Die Arbeit im Waisenhaus,die Volontäre, die reisen veränderten mich und mein Leben. Ich fand eine Familie. Die Kinder haben mir viel gezeigt und ich habe von Ihnen gelernt. Danke für eine wunderbare Zeit.

Perfekt ist das Programm nicht,aber ich würde auch keine groben Fehler finden. Ich fühlte sicher und es war gut andere Waisenhaus zu besuchen. Ich hatte nie das Gefühl allein gelassen zu sein.