Can I teach abroad as a qualified primary school teacher without a TEFL certificate?


Really good question. Technically, yes, but it's still a good idea to get one. UoT online TEFL has a course specifically designed for qualified teachers who want to get TEFL certified -- they're also helping us out with an article about this question that should be coming out next winter. Not totally helpful for the moment, I understand, but they know a lot about this.

I know in China many jobs will take a qualification instead of a TEFL and the Chinese government accepts it. However, it might be a good idea to check with a few schools and see what they're looking for. Worst-case you can get a TEFL online and have it as a backup.

HI Barbara,

My Name is Melvin from Teaching Position:

Teaching Experience have been working in the industry for 1 years, they guarantee a legitimate teaching job abroad before you leave your home country. A working visa is processed while you work at your current position and you can quite easily jet-set off to your new teaching career abroad without any teaching or related work experience.

For more information please visit our homepage:

If you want to teach in Central or South America, TEFL certification will put you on top of the selected candidates.

The short answer is yes, it's possible. However, your salary may take a little bit of a hit. In Thailand, it is better to go ahead and get the TEFL or TESOL certificate because it makes your placement in schools easier and you will have more to bargain with when it comes to compensation. On the other hand, I do know a few teachers who did not do the TESOL course with XploreAsia who were perfectly happy with their experiences. It really just depends on you and your goals.

Actually you're in a great position to find a well paying job at an international school. Salaries and benefit packages for qualified teachers at international schools are far better than what a TEFL certified teacher can make at even the best language schools. You're on the wrong website though. There are several good recruiting agencies that only work with certified primary and secondary teachers. The names slip my mind right now, but you can Google international school jobs and find them in a hurry. You'll be able to find something without much trouble. Good luck!