Although costs will vary based on the location, length of program, and enrollment type, a semester abroad through a third-party provider will generally run between $12,000-$15,000 USD.
Study Abroad Programs
Go Overseas is here to take the guesswork out from finding you the best study abroad programs.
How to Study Abroad
Navigating the study abroad process doesn’t have to be a challenging task. Start preparing to study abroad by following these steps.
- Research locations and universities.Start by thinking about what you’re planning to study and the countries that interest you. Then research the universities in that country, by comparing rankings, course offerings, and admission requirements for international students.
- Choose a program. There are many ways to study abroad, but the two most popular options are direct enrollment and third-party programs. With direct enrollment, you can apply through your home university and let their program facilitate the process, or directly enroll into a university overseas. Although a more costly route, a third-party provider can provide you with extra support with visas and the application process, arrange your housing, and even organize travel excursions.
- Prepare your application. While requirements may vary depending on the university, in order to study abroad, you’ll typically need to complete an application form, submit copies of your transcript and letters of recommendation, and write a personal statement.
- Apply for a visa. Once you’ve been accepted into your program, depending on the country, you may need to apply for a student visa.
- Secure housing and book your flight. If you booked your program with a third-party provider, they likely arranged housing for you already. However, if you applied directly to your host university, you’ll need to secure accommodations, whether it’s a homestay, on-campus dorm, or private apartment.
- Start packing and prepare to travel overseas. You should also make sure you’re up-to-date on necessary vaccinations and consider purchasing travel insurance.
- Enjoy your study abroad experience! Make the most of your time abroad! Take advantage of academic and cultural-immersion opportunities, make new friends, and don’t be afraid to leave your comfort zone!
Why Study Abroad
There are many different reasons thousands of students decide to study abroad every year!
Here are a few reasons why you should study abroad:
- You can attend unique classes you wouldn’t normally take at your home university
- Builds self-confidence and improves your independence
- Allows you to build a global network
- Gives you a new perspective, through learning how a different society lives and functions
- Can experience being in the country like a local, rather than a tourist
- You’ll develop life-long friendships with people around the world
Where to Study Abroad
Take a look at a few popular destinations for studying abroad.
Great for world class education: England
Academics in England are top-tier, with world-renowned universities such as Cambridge and Oxford leading in university rankings around the world. For many international students, especially English-speakers, it’s an ideal location for studying abroad since the streets are easy to navigate and there are fewer language barriers.
Great for STEM: Japan
Known for its extensive list of technological advancements and big-name industries, Japan is the leading country when it comes to innovation. As a global leader across many science and technological fields, Japan is a great country especially for students in STEM. Whether you’re interested in robotics, aerospace research, biomedicine, or electronics, you’re sure to benefit from all of the academic and career opportunities Japan has to offer for international students.
Great for arts and culture: Ireland
From lush green cliffs to dreamy castles, how can you not feel inspired to create something great in a country as scenic as Ireland? Home to many famous authors like Oscar Wilde, arts and culture students can explore literary masterpieces and learn about traditional Irish arts during their semester abroad.
Cost to Study Abroad
The cost of your study abroad tuition will be based on the country and university, and whether you apply through direct enrollment or a third-party provider.
Below are average third-party program fees per semester for popular study abroad countries.
- England: $10,000 to $30,000 USD
- Japan: $8,000 USD to $25,000 USD
- Ireland: $5,000 USD to $20,000 USD
- South Korea: $5,000 USD to $10,000 USD
- Spain: $10,000 USD to $13,000 USD
See the costs breakdown by region: How Much Does it Cost to Study Abroad in 2023?
Applying for scholarships and travel grants can be a great way to offset the costs of your study abroad program. There are a large variety of study abroad scholarships available for international students, offered by universities, government organizations, and even program providers!
You can also look for scholarships specifically for your host country or reach out to your program advisor to see if there is any aid offered.
If you identify as a BIPOC student, be sure to take a look at this list of scholarships specifically for students who identify as BIPOC.
Popular Places to Study Abroad
Featured Study Abroad Programs
Can I study abroad for free?
It’s possible to study abroad for free or low tuition! Countries such as Germany, France, Austria, and Iceland offer free tuition for international students. You should still budget for additional fees, like housing.Related Content
What are the requirements to study abroad?
For most countries, students will need to submit a completed application form, official academic transcripts, and a personal statement. There are usually minimum GPA requirements which typically range from 2.5-3.0.Related Content
What are the benefits of studying abroad?
Studying abroad is a great opportunity to open your mind to new perspectives and ways of living, make lifelong friendships, establish a global network, and potentially earn another language!Related Content
What is the best country for studying abroad?
Australia, Spain, Ireland, Sweden, and Japan are a few popular destinations for studying abroad. However, the best country for studying abroad depends on your field of study, academic goals, and your personal interests.Related Content
Why earn your MBA abroad?
Earning your MBA abroad is a great way to break into the world of international business and cultivate your global connections. Earning your MBA in countries like Germany or Spain may also save you money on tuition.Related Content
What does it mean to study abroad?
Studying abroad means taking classes at a university in a different country for academic credit that will count towards your degree. International students can take a wide range of classes both in a foreign language and/or English.
How long is a study abroad program?
Study abroad programs vary in length from a few days to an entire academic year. Many students choose to study abroad for a semester but short-term summer programs are also popular.