LEAPYEAR Latin America - An incredible year of college!

LEAPYEAR Latin America - An incredible year of college!

By LEAPNOW: Transforming Education   Reviews (3)   100% Rating

An extraordinary alternative year of college designed to assist you in making a powerful and graceful transition from home to independence, high school to college, and adolescence into adulthood, which offers:

- Ten weeks of group travel to Latin America
- A three-month solo internship anywhere in the world, chosen from our database of over 6,000 opportunities
- Four intensive residential retreats focused on community building, life-path visioning, development of emotional literacy, and a rite of passage into adulthood
- A fully accredited, integrative, experiential curriculum leading to a full year of academic credit.
- Access to Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) and other scholarships
- A full year of post-program internship placements

Runs from September - May (fall start) or January - August (spring start).

LEAPYEAR can also be done for high school completion.

North America » Guatemala
Primary Language
Age Max
Application Fee
Cost Description
Full Access to Federal Financial Aid and Generous Private Scholarships!
LEAPYEAR tuition includes:
- all scheduled program activities,
- food and accommodation during the program,
- one full year of college credit - 29 credits
- a full year of additional internship placements after LEAPYEAR, and
- annual reunions for as long as you care to attend them.
Not included is the cost of round-trip transportation to northern California during the program, international airfare, personal medical insurance (usually covered under parents' policy), and personal spending money.

Rating Values

Calli
Calistoga, CA
Quest University

Calli's Latin America Trip

I think this trip is really amazing. The people on it are committed to having a good conversation and I got a good feeling for many different activities and places. The trip leaders are dedicated to teaching you how to travel respectfully and competently. I had two favorite parts of the trip. First the week we spent in Honduras scuba diving!! This portion was so incredible and we got to dive at night which was such an unforgettable experience. Second the week we spent at this spiritual center on a huge lake in Guatemala. I would wake up each morning and go for a swim and then we would spend the day exploring the town, doing yoga and meditating. All of the different stops on the trip taught me something new and I gained so much valuable safe traveling experiences.

I loved being in the city Quetzaltenango in Guatemala but I was not a fan of the spanish school that we went to here. I think that going to this city is crucial to feel the difference between the small towns and the larger city and it was one of my favorite places to hang out with my group and bond more with them but I would find a different Spanish school to go to.

Cameron
Bend, 0R
University of Oregon

This program is incredible!!

I could not possibly express all that this organization is in a few words but I will do my best. For my Leap Year I did group travel to Guatemala, Nicaragua and Honduras for the first semester and for the second I traveled to Bolivia and Peru on my own. This program is everything I could have hoped for and then some. In group travel I lived and learned with 12 of the most incredible people, of which all are introspective and extreamly supportive of everyone around them. I did and saw some truly remarkable things, Scuba diving in Honduras, working on a permaculture farm in Nicaragua, hiking through the active volcanoes in Guatemala. The amount of live experiences I gained are immense. Furthermore on my second semester I went to La Paz Bolivia in order to keep up my Spanish. Although I was alone I had an incredible safety net of people that gave me the confidence to push my comfort zone knowing I had support if I needed it. I learned more in a year than I could ever have known and I would suggest this program to anyone and everyone who is even remotely interested.

I can't think of anything!

Meghan
Germantown, Maryland
Naropa University

Loved it!

I love this program!! I had such an amazing experience. I did everything from trekking through the mountains, scuba diving, visiting Machu Picchu, and building a school to learning Spanish, meditating, eating incredible food and making life long friends. I learned so much about the world and about myself. Gap years are an awesome alternative to going straight to college and I recommend that everyone do them. Leapnow is especially great because you can get college credit for the year as well. This program really changed my life and I am so grateful for it!

Choose LEAPYEAR and embark on the most unique year of college on the planet. Travel abroad for 10 weeks in Latin American or India with a group of your peers. Explore your interests in depth and get real-world experience during your 3-month individual internship chosen