LEAPYEAR Latin America - An incredible year of college!

LEAPYEAR Latin America - An incredible year of college!

An extraordinary alternative year of college designed to assist you in making a powerful and graceful transition from home to independence, high school to college, and adolescence into adulthood, which offers:

- Ten weeks of group travel to Latin America
- A three-month solo internship anywhere in the world, chosen from our database of over 6,000 opportunities
- Four intensive residential retreats focused on community building, life-path visioning, development of emotional literacy, and a rite of passage into adulthood
- A fully accredited, integrative, experiential curriculum leading to a full year of academic credit.
- Access to Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) and other scholarships
- A full year of post-program internship placements

Runs from September - May (fall start) or January - August (spring start).

LEAPYEAR can also be done for high school completion.

North America » Guatemala
Visa
Primary Language
Age Max
Application Fee
Full Access to Federal Financial Aid and Generous Private Scholarships!
LEAPYEAR tuition includes:
- all scheduled program activities,
- food and accommodation during the program,
- one full year of college credit - 29 credits
- a full year of additional internship placements after LEAPYEAR, and
- annual reunions for as long as you care to attend them.
Not included is the cost of round-trip transportation to northern California during the program, international airfare, personal medical insurance (usually covered under parents' policy), and personal spending money.

Shanti

An Incredible Portal

LEAPYEAR has such profound richness and potential for transformation that it is not like any other program in the world. It moves beyond a traditional travel program by offering a portal to a wiser, new and improved version of yourself that may have otherwise taken decades to develop. LEAPYEAR fosters enthusiasm for learning, dedication to self-growth, service to others, cooperation, and the skills needed to live a joyful and fulfilling life. Through my time in Latin America, I found my whole world growing larger, both inside and out. I was able to connect deeply with the locals, learn Spanish, realize where I stand in the world, build bridges, step out of my comfort zone, and travel with incredible people. I recommend this program to anyone who is curious about the world and themselves and who wants to build a strong foundation for the rest of life to sit upon. I am so, so grateful for this experience.

Alexa
Petaluma
Sierra Nevada College

Beyond Life Changing

LEAPNOW was everything I had ever imagined and more. I didn't know what to expect coming into it but I was never disappointed. My travels through central America were eye-opening and varied. From scuba diving in Roatan, Hunduras to trekking through the Guatemalan Mountains. Traveling in a small group creates bonds that last beyond the end of the program. As I write this I am sitting with two of my friends. The program helped me move into adulthood with confidence and excitement. Language is heavily emphasized and we had the rare opportunity of spending 4 weeks immersed in Spanish Schools. The two schools we spent time at were incredible and I came away speaking conversational Spanish. LeapNow is a place that truly becomes a second home, and both the time abroad and the time on campus captivated me. Prepare for incredible home cooked meals an wise teachers to guide you on your journey. I am so thankful that I chose this program.

Elianor

Elianor's LTAM Trip

This program changed my life. I was deciding between going to college and participating in this program and I am so grateful I chose this program. After years of sitting in classrooms and learning about history, math, and English, it was so refreshing and taught me so much to learn about myself and the world. I traveled to Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Honduras. I went to these countries with no knowledge of the Spanish language and came out of it having conversations with locals. This program does so much more than just filter you from country to country. I was able to really dive deeply into the cultures of each place we visited and really get to know some amazing cities and people. I cannot recommend this program to people enough. One of my favorite memories is sitting under the night sky in Guatemala, watching a comet shower and the volcano Fuego erupting in the far distance.

Calli
Calistoga, CA
Quest University

Calli's Latin America Trip

I think this trip is really amazing. The people on it are committed to having a good conversation and I got a good feeling for many different activities and places. The trip leaders are dedicated to teaching you how to travel respectfully and competently. I had two favorite parts of the trip. First the week we spent in Honduras scuba diving!! This portion was so incredible and we got to dive at night which was such an unforgettable experience. Second the week we spent at this spiritual center on a huge lake in Guatemala. I would wake up each morning and go for a swim and then we would spend the day exploring the town, doing yoga and meditating. All of the different stops on the trip taught me something new and I gained so much valuable safe traveling experiences.

I loved being in the city Quetzaltenango in Guatemala but I was not a fan of the spanish school that we went to here. I think that going to this city is crucial to feel the difference between the small towns and the larger city and it was one of my favorite places to hang out with my group and bond more with them but I would find a different Spanish school to go to.

Cameron
Bend, 0R
University of Oregon

This program is incredible!!

I could not possibly express all that this organization is in a few words but I will do my best. For my Leap Year I did group travel to Guatemala, Nicaragua and Honduras for the first semester and for the second I traveled to Bolivia and Peru on my own. This program is everything I could have hoped for and then some. In group travel I lived and learned with 12 of the most incredible people, of which all are introspective and extreamly supportive of everyone around them. I did and saw some truly remarkable things, Scuba diving in Honduras, working on a permaculture farm in Nicaragua, hiking through the active volcanoes in Guatemala. The amount of live experiences I gained are immense. Furthermore on my second semester I went to La Paz Bolivia in order to keep up my Spanish. Although I was alone I had an incredible safety net of people that gave me the confidence to push my comfort zone knowing I had support if I needed it. I learned more in a year than I could ever have known and I would suggest this program to anyone and everyone who is even remotely interested.

I can't think of anything!

Meghan
Germantown, Maryland
Naropa University

Loved it!

I love this program!! I had such an amazing experience. I did everything from trekking through the mountains, scuba diving, visiting Machu Picchu, and building a school to learning Spanish, meditating, eating incredible food and making life long friends. I learned so much about the world and about myself. Gap years are an awesome alternative to going straight to college and I recommend that everyone do them. Leapnow is especially great because you can get college credit for the year as well. This program really changed my life and I am so grateful for it!

Choose LEAPYEAR and embark on the most unique year of college on the planet. Travel abroad for 10 weeks in Latin American or India with a group of your peers. Explore your interests in depth and get real-world experience during your 3-month individual internship chosen