Gakko summer camps are intensive, inspirational and imaginative. High school campers - who take the Japanese term "kohai" - embark on a two week journey, collaborating with seriously passionate college-aged counselors - or "sempai" - to build a unique camp. Each camp is filled with fascinating educational workshops, international connections, and curiosity quenching adventure.
As a 'kohai', you will work alongside the 'sempai' whom we choose for their dream to teach a single high school course to their younger self. Together, you will make a camp that has never existed before; a medical ethics class; exploring physics with an electric guitar; designing a game; a slam poetry session...
As a small community - just 45 kohai and 10 sempai attend each program - you will leave having brought a world of your own to life. You will meet a role-model; know more about the cultures outside your own; understand your learning process, and discover something more in your life as a learner.
- Gakko Camp is our collaborative creation of Kikkake: a Japanese word meaning being 'the spark' for new connections, perspectives, and ideas. 'Sempai' invite 'kohai' high school students to see the world through a new lens and dive into their curiosities.
- For two/three weeks, in a beautiful location, kohai engage in rigorous workshops, hands-on projects, and collaborations across disciplines.
- Our 'sempai' have represented academic institutions such as Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Oxford, and Sciences Po, as well as more than 80 nationalities. Their diverse backgrounds and skill sets crack open the 'kohai' curiosity into hands on passion
- Sempai and kohai collaborate to create a unique learning experience for a diverse group of international high school campers, looking for “something more” in their education and themselves.
- In a diverse community of friends and mentors, through meaningful international dialogue, kohai build and take ownership over an “undiscovered country”—a vibrant camp community that has never existed before.