SStS Nicaragua: Eco-Bricks and Elementary Education

Experience life on a small island in Nicaragua, teach English at a local school constructed of eco-bricks and hike to waterfalls as well as remote beaches.

SERVE:
With SStS, you will have the chance to work shoulder-to-shoulder with our trusted NGO partner, the Ometepe Bilingual School. As part of your work, you will teach English to elementary school students and learn about eco-bricks.

EXPERIENCE:
You will have the opportunity to experience daily life on Ometepe Island, an island in Lake Nicaragua with twin volcanoes classified as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.

LEARN:
As part of your experience, you will learn about ethical leadership and global citizenship through SStS's unique Five Lens Curriculum. In addition, you will be immersed in a local homestay.

THE SSTS DIFFERENCE:
-Small groups (10-12 students)
-Leadership curriculum
-Expert course instructors
-Trusted NGO partners

• Live on a island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua.
  • Teach English to elementary students.
  • Play baseball and volleyball with the local community.
  • Hike to waterfalls and remote beaches.
  • Learn about conservation efforts in this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.

AK

Trip to Ometepe, Nicaragua

I loved everything about the SStS trip to Nicaragua. From the 5-lens curriculum leading up to the trip to the very last minute of being on the island, the trip taught me so much. Not only did it allow for personal growth and broaden my perspective on ethical leadership, but it also introduced me to a number of incredible people I was able to build great relationships with. Everyone I interacted with - whether it was the people in my group or the people on the island - made my trip that much better and more enjoyable.

To anyone that's thinking about signing up for this trip, 100% take advantage of this amazing opportunity!! You will meet amazing kids and people, learn immensely important lessons that will remain with you long after your trip, and enjoy every second on the beautiful island of Ometepe.

Lydia

Students Shoulder to Shoulder Nicaragua 2017

This trip to Nicaragua with Students Shoulder to Shoulder was one of the best trips I have ever been on! On the Ometepe island, we spent 2 weeks with kids who taught us more than we were able to teach them. I remember the very first day of classes at the Bilingual School. I walked in with my fellow teacher and we were both greeted with big hugs and high-fives from energetic and friendly first graders. Their curiosity was electric and it was a sign that our next few weeks would be an amazing time.

To future participants: I am so excited for you! This program is really a meaningful experience that I recommend. I suggest that you journal during your stay because in addition to my photos and memories I have so many little fun details about the trip that I can look back on.

Throughout the entirety of the trip I went on, I kept a journal detailing the events of my time there. I brought this journal solely because I did not want to forget, but even if I tried I will never ever forget my 20 days in Nicaragua with so many amazing people.

Johany

Miss it so much!

I loved my trip to Nicaragua and the bonds I formed there with the kids, my peers, and the island. My favorite memory would have to be going to the local circus and the beach with the kids. When we bonded with them outside of being their teachers it was really something. That’s why I also loved walking them home after class each day. I’d give anything to go back in time and experience it all again.

About Students Shoulder-to-Shoulder

SStS essentially began with a question: what can we do? As classroom educators striving to teach our students about many of the pressing problems that exist in the world, as well as potential solutions for addressing them, students were...