Marine Conservation Divemaster Program in the Caribbean Sea

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Caribbean Reef Buddy has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

A Successful Lionfish Hunt by Marine Conservation volunteers at Carribean Reef Buddy
Write your chapter in the ongoing story of Caribbean Reef Buddy
Write your chapter in the ongoing story of Caribbean Reef Buddy
Sunset over Hillsborough Bay after a long day of marine conservation volunteer diving
The hardest worker at Caribbean Reef Buddy: Harry The Cat
The hardest worker at Caribbean Reef Buddy: Harry The Cat
Coral Regeneration volunteers being overseen by an SSI Divemaster Candidate
Coral Regeneration volunteers being overseen by an SSI Divemaster Candidate
The latest batch of SSI Divemasters having completed all of their training
The latest batch of SSI Divemasters having completed all of their training

The story of Caribbean Reef Buddy in Carriacou has seen us involved in marine conservation and education since 2014. During this time, and working closely with our partners we have delivered some amazing results relating to changing awareness and behaviors when it comes to preserving our marine environment. You too could add your chapter to our ongoing story by entering into our 8-week Marine Conservation Divemaster program.

During this exciting program you will explore the intricacies of our marine world, working on conservation projects and working towards your SSI Divemaster professional scuba rating. This rating will be invaluable to you if you are considering a career in marine science or diving. Over 8 weeks you'll get to work with other volunteers on the program as you assist them with their diving education as yours develops too.

Staying in our partner hotel, your breakfast and evening meal are included, as is as much sunshine as you can handle.

• All diver training up to SSI Divemaster.
  • Participate in more than 60 scuba dives.
  • 8 weeks hotel accommodation, including breakfast and evening meal.
  • All of your SSI training materials and certification fees are included (SSI Professional Membership fee excluded).
  • Assist with real students on courses including reef regeneration, shark monitoring, and reef surveys.

New Program Structure for 2020

Our program for 2020 will commence on 3rd May 2020. We've broken the structure down into a one week 'Training Week', followed by three weeks of project work. If you're already 'Advanced' level you can join the program at any point . This creates an opportunity for you to join us when its perfect for you, and to stay here and continue to contribute to the conservation effort here on Carriacou for as long as you're able to.

Team CRB

Mike

I thought I had a plan for life.... Now I do!

I came here thinking about changing what I do in life, as I knew I needed to change something. Diving appealed to me, as too did getting more involved in marine conservation.

Coming here has been a revelation! These guys really know what they're doing and have a programme which is structured perfectly to prepare you to become a divemaster. They're thorough, diligent and very very professional. I came away knowing that I needed to continue in this direction because diving is the career choice for me.

While I was here not only did I learn about being a dive pro, but also about coral reef restoration, invasive species and monitoring techniques. I was also able to learn to dive bubble free on their CCR units too - WOW, what a difference that made! I now have some amazing memories and amazing experiences to remember

They offer training using the SSI agency. I'd never heard of them before I came here and was a little bit unsure versus PADI. The guys explain the differences all the way through, and again leave you very well informed. If you want to pay a little bit extra, they were able to certify you as PADI instead, but for the most part no one took up that option.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
There was a group of divemasters on a new site 'down south' moving through some narrow canyons. The dive leader stopped and got us all the drop down closer to the rocks and he pointed up as a Caribbean Reef Shark was patrolling just above us. I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest it was so exciting!
NORA

Amazing experience!

From the moment I read about this program, I knew it was the right fit for me and for what I was looking for.
It combined the perfect amount of volunteering in marine conservation (coral nursery, coral watch, reef check, invasive lionfish containment) and dive training (from OW to Dive Master) and what made it better were both the staff working on CRB, the professional team from Deefer Diving, and the scenario provided by the lovely island of Carriacou.
I absolutely loved everything about this place, so much in fact, that I ended up spending 2 more months as a Dive Master intern at the dive shop, which made me realise how much I love doing this, so I decided to make it a life style and I applied for a job and came back to work now as part of the staff at Deefer.

Edward

2018 April-June Dive-master Program

I spent 8 weeks improving my diving skills from Open water all the way through to Divemaster whilst completing a plethora of specialties on the side (Fish I.D., Nitrox, Deep, Lionfish Containment and Coral Watch). The easygoing yet experienced staff made adapting the program to my personal preferences incredibly easy and their good sense of humour and banter made for a very pleasant and fun experience. I found the accommodation to be perfectly fine and all meals provided were more than enough to satisfy a hungry diver! On top of all of this the incredible diving experience. is underscored by a strong and coherent environmental effort by the entire team, doing their utmost to protect the wildlife they love so much! Overall I would thoroughly recommend this program to those who are looking for a bit of an adventure within the relaxed comfortable lifestyle of a Caribbean island; utter paradise!

Profile Pic
Bob

Quite literally a life-changing experience!

The Divemaster course that CRB offer is undeniably an extraordinary experience. From gaining multiple PADI qualifications to helping take care of the delicate ecosystem myself, it was a truly unique and rewarding experience. As well as being under the water, there are plenty of other activities offered above it. We climbed the highest peak on the island, had a beach BBQ on Sandy Island, traveled north to Tobago Cays (where we found Baby Blacktip Reef Sharks!), and more. The Divemaster course is spread out over a very manageable 3 weeks, so there is room to change plans around if need be, and the tuition received from all of the team at CRB has made me a far far better diver. Inevitably, the island got under my skin and it didn’t take long for me to extend my stay to 3 months. Carriacou - a true tropical paradise, is free of chainstores, huge supermarkets or any urbanisation. The locals (known as Kayak’s) encourage a safe and friendly atmosphere, making your stay more relaxing and even more enjoyable.

Bob

Life Changing Experience!

The Divemaster course that CRB offer is undeniably an extraordinary experience. From gaining multiple PADI qualifications to helping take care of the delicate ecosystem myself, it was a truly unique and rewarding experience. As well as being under the water, there are plenty of other activities offered above it, climbing the highest peak on the island, having a beach BBQ, or heading up to Tobago Cays (where we found Baby Blacktip Reef Sharks!). The Divemaster course is spread out over a very manageable 3 weeks, so there is room to change plans around if need be, and the tuition received from all of the team at CRB has made me a far far better diver. Inevitably, the island got under my skin and it didn’t take long for me to extend my stay to 3 months. Carriacou - a true tropical paradise, is free of chainstores, huge supermarkets or any urbanisation. The locals (known as Kayak’s) encourage a safe and friendly atmosphere, making your stay more relaxing and even more enjoyable.

Tristan

Experience of a lifetime!

The program was remarkable. Not only is the island peaceful and remote but very welcoming with outstanding weather--a true paradise. The wildlife is spectacular and everywhere for you to see. The crew is more than helpful with any questions, problems or accommodations that you might have as well.
At first when I selected the 8 week divemaster program I thought it might be a little too long of a stay but after the first week of staying at the magnificent John's Unique Resort and getting comfortable with the island, I knew 8 weeks was not going to be enough! The people, wildlife and geography is truly what makes Carriacou such a wonderful place to visit. I look forward to coming back in the future!

N/A
Raquel

Fantastic Program, Excellent Quality Dive and Marine Conservation Education.

If you are looking for a dive and marine conservation education program STOP HERE, you've found it. I find it hard to sum of my experience with Caribbean Reef Buddy in a website review as really it was just so incredible, words barely justify. I came down to Carriacou on the 4 week CRB program June 2016, ended up extending my stay another 4 weeks on top of that. Coming from landlocked Toronto (besides the lake of course, but who really wants to dive in that...) the ability to dive 6 days a week was a dream come true. The dive sites are vibrant and full of fish. My favorite sites were Whirlpool, Sisters, and Sharky's Hideaway.

The marine education side enriched my dive experience exponentially. You get to walk away from this program with so many marine conservation skills under your belt and a better understanding of the ocean as a whole. The staff is professional, friendly, and help you every step of the way. They train you how to become a diver that is conscious, aware, one that does not kick or disturb the fragile marine environment. I went from scuba mush, to feeling confident as I floated above the corals collecting data and taking photos. They really prepare you before you go out into the field and collect data yourself. I enjoyed working as a team and collecting and submitting real fish and coral data with my peers on the program.

One of my favorite memories was the day after we completed our Lionfish Containment Program, we went out on a Lionfish Hunt dive then had a BBQ with our catch on the secluded White's Island. But I also can't forget to mention the Tobago Cays ! So beautiful !

There is a family vibe at the dive center, so you never feel homesick. It's very easy to feel welcome and comfortable, which was a huge plus for me because I can be quite nervous in new settings.

The accommodations were great and only footsteps away from the dive center. LOVED the food. You get things like, chicken, pork, CARBS like rice, MACARONI PIE, potato salad, which you need after the multiple dives a day, seasonal veggies, and did I mention chicken..

I felt very safe on Carriacou, the locals are very friendly and always say hello when they pass you on the street.

Saturday nights at Off The Hook beach bar was always a fun way to wind down the busy week..

Overall 10/10 experience.

Tamara

Great dive master internship

I did a ten week internship at Caribbean Reef Buddy. I learnt a lot about reef monitoring, fisheries, the island life and ofcourse diving.
During my internship I did the 8 week program for my dive master certificate. The staff is very friendly and skilled. They make you feel at home which makes the course more fun. It doesn't matter if your a confident diver or a bit unsure, they can help you step by step.
I had a lot of fun with the other volunteers. We did fun stuff after the dives like going to nice beaches and in the evening going out for drinks and playing pool.
I can't wait to go back for some diving, fun and maybe an instructor course!

Keep up the good work!