Staff Spotlight: Jenny Evans

What position do you hold at Reach Cambridge? What has been your career path so far?

Interview with Jenny Evans, Director of Operations at Reach Cambridge

Jenny: I am the Director of Operations at Reach Cambridge and have held the post since 2009. I originally worked as an EFL teacher at Reach after having spent 2 years teaching English as a Foreign Language in Barcelona, Spain. Before that, I studied English Literature and Cultural Criticism at Cardiff University and then worked in marketing for a few years.

Did YOU study abroad?! If so, where and what inspired you to go?

Jenny: When I was 16 years old, I completed my Duke of Edinburgh's award expedition in New Zealand. We spent 3 weeks traveling around the North Island, meeting and helping local people and climbing the mountains there. It was an experience I will never forget. I have more recently taught in Zambia, which was a brilliant experience where I met people from all over the world who shared the same goals and learned from the inspirational students and people living there.

What does the future hold for Reach Cambridge - any exciting new programs to share?

Jenny: This is a very exciting year for Reach Cambridge! We are celebrating our 10-year anniversary so we are already planning ways of making the summer extra special! Our Global Leaders' Programme was new in 2013 and had brilliant feedback so we are excited to be offering it again in 2014. We are also updating some of our old courses as well as offering a new Psychology course.

What about the future of the high school abroad industry? How do you think international education will change over the next 10 years?

Jenny: Due to the nature of communication and travel today, the world seems to be getting smaller. This allows us to have access to so much more than we ever could have imagined. Having said that, it is crucial that in doing so we try to understand other cultures and traditions, and traveling abroad in high school is one excellent way of doing this.

I would like to think that international education will continue to grow and adapt to these changes to allow students to experience life outside of their own comfort zone and find inspiration and understanding by meeting other people from across the world.