Staff Spotlight: Rachele Kanigel

Photos

What position do you hold at ieiMedia? What has been your career path so far?

I'm executive director of ieiMedia. I've been a newspaper reporter, magazine writer and journalism professor. I teach at San Francisco State University and lead study-abroad programs in the summer. I've taught in Italy and France and next summer I'll be taking a group to Israel.

Did YOU study abroad?

Sort of. I spent a year at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, which seemed like the most European city I could find in North America.

What does the future hold for ieiMedia - any exciting new programs to share?

This will be our first summer in Jerusalem, where students will study with two veteran Middle East correspondents. In addition, we'll explore the multimedia storytelling possibilities of the iPad. Students in our Urbino, Italy and Perpignan, France programs will do multimedia reporting and then create tablet magazines, in addition to a websites about the community.

What about the future of the industry? How do you think study abroad and international education will change over the next 10 years?

It seems to me that study-abroad programs are getting more and more adventurous. Students are joining medical missions to Cambodia, doing wildlife management in East Africa (like Tanzania or Kenya) and asking journalistic questions in China. I think we'll be seeing more edgy programs.