Most Latin American countries have large nationalized healthcare systems. However, geographic challenges in rural areas and government bureaucracy make patient access difficult and unequal. Hospitals and clinics often lack funding and resources, and yet the quality of medical care they can deliver is impressive! This makes Cusco, Peru an especially interesting destination for a medical internship.
Our medical internship placements are at public and private hospitals, local clinics, assisted-living facilities, and private medical offices. Medical interns are partnered with medical professionals to provide daily assistance and support. Work may include triage, patient consultations, checkups, making rounds, elderly care, health education, materials management, and patient records. Med-Health interns may also have the opportunity to take part in medical campaigns, vaccination programs, and tropical medicine in rural communities. Dental and physical therapy placements are also available on a limited basis. As a Med-Health intern, you get exposure to medical practices in the developing world and leave with a better understanding of patient care and foreign healthcare systems. During the internship placement, you gain practical medical experience, increase your knowledge of medical terminology in Spanish, and improve your ability to communicate with Spanish-speaking patients. Overall, you build your professional foundation and become a more globally-minded medical practitioner.
If your Spanish language skills are not at this level, we offer online Spanish classes and our Spanish Immersion program to bring your skills up to the appropriate level.
Maximo Nivel is one of the very few organizations in the world that offers academic credit for medical internships abroad. If you are interested in receiving university credit, just let us know when you apply and we guide you through the entire process.
- At least 18 years of age
- Currently enrolled in pre-med, nursing, medical school; or be a licensed medical professional
- Proof of medical education, training, certifications, and licenses
- Intermediate Spanish is required to be effective in a medical internship placement.
- Final project required
- Airport pick-up
- Host family accommodations (private room)
- Breakfast and dinner, 7 days/week
- 1 hour/day private Spanish classes
- 6-8 hours/day practical work, Monday-Friday
- Program orientation and walking tour
- Official certificate of internship work
- Letter of recommendation
- Spanish books and materials
- Spanish language tutoring table
- Tandem Conversation Program
- Office-wide WiFi and computer lab
- Salsa dance classes
- Cooking classes
- Free coffee and tea and on-site snack bar
- Institute is open 7 days/week
- Emergency contact number 24/7
- And much more...