Washington DC Summer Intensive Site Manager
The Summer Intensive (SI) is a concentrated course of study to help incoming Carey Business School international graduate students adjust to American life and culture. Daily practice in writing and speaking English in a variety of contexts helps international students prepare for the academic, professional, and social challenges they will face.
The candidate will be joining a high-functioning and collaborative team and will be expected to contribute to its values of respect, integrity, dependability, engagement, personal motivation, entrepreneurship, and, dedication to excellence and student success. High degree of self-motivation and engagement is the norm.
The Site Manager's primary responsibility is to assist the Summer Intensive Administrator and Carey staff in all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the program and Group Leaders on their respective campus. Due to the nature and time frame of the program, candidate must be a self-starter and immediate contributions to the program are expected and required. The site manager is responsible for creating an environment of teamwork and support as it is vital for the success of the program. Additionally, this position is customer service oriented while interacting with students, faculty, staff, and vendors.
Site Managers may be asked to assist with presenting specific assigned material to program staff and/or participants. In preparation for the summer program, creating and maintaining spreadsheets, creating and printing documents, preparing and leading sessions during Group Leader Training, and other duties as assigned are required. The Site Manager is expected to solve problems, manage situations when they arise, and serve as the point of contact for program inquiries at their respective site. Site Managers will assist with program wrap-up and assessment.
This position is a non-student facing, dual administrative and team building/managing role. It is very task-oriented.
Review of applicants will start mid-January 2020. Applicants being pursued for interviews will be contacted via email on a rolling basis and interviews will continue until the position is filled.
Note: This position is not benefits eligible. Housing and parking is not provided. Transportation costs to Baltimore for training are the candidates responsibility and not reimbursable. Parking for Baltimore and D.C. is available at a discounted rate during employment.
Training and Employment dates: June 17- August 28, 2020
Saturday, August 8th is required.
Some Training will take place in Baltimore. At minimum, employment dates will be in Baltimore:
June 17, 18, 19 (initial training)
June 29, 30, 1 (training)
July 13-17 (prep for training)
July 20-24 (GL training)
Please do NOT apply for both Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. Only apply to the campus in which you wish to work. If you prefer to work in Baltimore apply for Req. #20096
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
• Create and print lists, spreadsheets, name tags, table tents, labels, and other documents from the master file.
• Work in conjunction with the Summer Intensive Administrator and Carey staff to contact local and online vendors, order program supplies and food, and/or verify details for delivery and payment.
• Assist Summer Intensive administrators in setting up the office and planning SI events including but not limited to staff training and optional events.
• Create an “originals” binder and electronic folder for the office that includes forms to be used in the office by the staff for supplies, campus visit/visitor forms, etc. Maintain this binder and folder in a designated area of the office.
• Communicate pre-program information to Group Leaders.
• With the SI administrator, create a coverage schedule and track Group Leader hours.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Enter student and staff data into a computer database and create and print lists, spreadsheets, and individual check-in sheets or labels from the database as needed.
• Work together as a team, keeping overall program goals in sight while managing a range of details.
• Help set the appropriate tone for the Group Leaders and students, as described by Carey administrators.
• Anticipate and prevent potential problems.
• Troubleshoot problems as necessary.
• Communicate promptly, clearly, and sensitively with other administrators, staff, and students.
• Model professionalism.
• Represent the philosophy and policies of SI in a manner that fosters cooperation and respect among summer staff, students, and full-time Summer Intensive staff throughout the program.
• Create a sense of community among Group Leaders.
• Assist with lunch, activities, and opt-in trips as necessary.
• Consult with SI administrators each day regarding your workload and schedule. In addition to performing assigned tasks, provide assistance by taking initiative on general office tasks.
• Provide assistance in all aspects of the program as requested by Summer Intensive administrators. This typically includes: office duties, supply runs, and filling in when a Group Leader is absent due to illness or other extenuating circumstances.
• Assist program staff with working with the day-to-day needs of the program. This may include scheduling rooms for academic and non-academic activities, making arrangements for food delivery, and making arrangements for travel and guest accommodations.
• Advise the administrator of any disciplinary, emotional, or academic problems a student or Group Leader may be having as soon as you are aware of the issue.
• Keep documentation of all invoices, and food orders throughout the program.
• Other duties as assigned.
Post - Program:
• Assist with the culmination of the program, including inventorying, boxing, storing, and returning materials to their appropriate location.
• Save and organize program pictures.
• Write reviews of food orders and activities and make recommendations for future programs.
• Create and submit an end-of-session site report.
• Other duties as assigned.
Note: This position is not benefits eligible.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
• High School Diploma/GED. Bachelor's degree preferred.
• Three years administrative/academic related experience.
• Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor
• Excellent work ethic with focus on timely and quality work
• Team player that leads by example
• Experience working in a fast paced office environment
• Demonstrated flexibility in a workplace
• Ability to deliver effective/efficient service/product in a timely manner
• Experience leading and/or facilitating groups and/or workshops, and/or experience teaching is preferred
• Ability and experience in drafting/writing print materials and other event/business-related communication material
• Supervisory/leadership experience
• Work or educational background in Intercultural Communication is preferred
• Ability to handle multiple priorities/tasks
• Reliable and punctual
• Previous experience working with international students preferred
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Self-motivated and able to take initiative
• Problem-solving skills
• Comfortable speaking in front of a large group.
• Positive attitude; passionate, energetic, self- motivated
• Team building skills (ability to motivate others and build a team amongst Group Leaders)
• Team player
• Demonstrated ability to be open, flexible, positive and withhold judgment
• Excellent communication skills (ability to communicate clearly, concisely and frequently)
• Proficient with Outlook and Outlook calendars
• Advanced proficiency with PowerPoint, Word, Excel (use of mail merges required)
• Calm and controlled under pressure
• Ability and willingness to work extended hours and work weekends as needed
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
• Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Classified Title: Academic Services Specialist
Working Title: Washington DC Summer Intensive Site Manager
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $21.00/hr
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Monday - Friday with evenings and weekends
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-DC:District of Columbia
Department name: 60000051-Student Services
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.