Baltimore Summer Intensive Group Leader
The candidates will be joining a high-functioning and collaborative team and will be expected to contribute to its values of respect, integrity, dependability, engagement, personal motivation, entrepreneurship, and, dedication to excellence and student success. High degree of self-motivation and engagement is the norm.
Group Leaders help to create a community that encourages and supports curiosity, critical thinking, and adjustment to life in the United States. Group Leaders (GLs) are responsible for student supervision both inside and outside the classroom. GLs also plan and lead some activities. Although certain duties are typical, tasks and responsibilities can and do change according to each day's needs and may vary slightly.
The Group Leader will work directly with new Carey international graduate students during Summer Intensive. During Summer Intensive the Group Leader will work with approximately 20-60 students daily, provide logistical information and direction, attend classes and events, support program goals, provide feedback and recommendations to improve daily functioning and the overall program, and serve as group point of contact for all problem solving and crisis management concerns. The Group Leader will report directly to the Site Manager and meet daily.
Alongside the Group Leaders, we are also looking to hire one Flex Group Leader per campus. The Flex Group Leader is paid at the same rate as Group Leaders, but is not given an assigned group for Summer Intensive, but they are expected to learn all the same material as the Group Leaders because it is their job to step into the role of Group Leader to support and assist. Most days, the responsibilities of the Flex Group Leader will consist of a more behind-the-scenes role. This is a great position for an individual who is eager to organize, prepare, and effectively support the Summer Intensive program and their fellow Group Leaders. This role requires a mindset that can withstand both organizational repetitive tasks, as well as active periods preparing for large program elements, i.e. Community Service Day. The Flex Group Leader role is vital to the support system of the other Group Leaders, as well as the entire Summer Intensive program. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are interested in this Flex Group Leader position.
Training and Employment dates: July 20 - August 21, 2020
Saturday, August 8th is required.
The Summer Intensive is a concentrated course of study to help incoming Carey Business School international graduate students adjust to American life and culture. Daily practice in writing and speaking English in a variety of contexts helps international students prepare for the academic, professional, and social challenges they will face.
Multiple Positions Available
Note: This position is not benefits eligible.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
• Training and program preparation will start the week of July 20th and conclude when the program starts on Thursday, July 30th.
• Before arriving for training: Complete any required pre-summer online training courses and reading before reporting on July 20th. All training will be compensated.
• Hours during in-person training typically range from 30-40 hours per week. Hours during Summer Intensive typically are 35+ hours per week.
• Housing and parking is not provided. Parking is available at a discounted rate during employment.
• Review of applicants will start mid-January 2020. Applicants being pursued for interviews will be contacted via email and interviews will continue until all positions have been filled.
• Please do NOT apply for both Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. Only apply to the campus on which you wish to work. If you prefer to work in Washington, D.C. apply for Req. #20376
Program Execution (85%)
• Prepare for arrival of students
• Effectively communicate with participants: expectations, logistics, and pertinent information
• Work to ensure groups are in the appropriate location and participating in the sessions as defined by the schedule provided
• Work closely with the instructors and other Summer Intensive staff to communicate program expectations
• Serve as a point of contact for students participating in the Summer Intensive
• Lead group meetings of 20-60 students, assist students, staff, and instructors with instruction delivery
• Act as a positive role model in both attitude and behavior
• Attend all sessions and events with your assigned group
• Grade students assignments
• Distribute materials and assist session presenters as needed
• Assist participants during assigned opt-in programs
• Encourage participants to participate in opt-in programs and to be engaged in the program
• Represent Baltimore and the United States culture
• Attend staff meetings
• Provide students with a supportive environment
• Direct students to the Summer Intensive administrators as needed
• Communicate issues to the Site Manager/Administrators
• Advise administrators of any disciplinary, medical, emotional, or academic problems a student may be having as soon as you are aware of the problem
• Provide ongoing assessment and feedback from your group to the Site Manager/Administrator
• Work to ensure all program supplies are prepared and stocked in appropriate locations
• Review, track, and grade student attendance and assignments
• Other duties as assigned
Program Training and Assessment (10%)
• Actively participate in pre-summer and summer training provided
• Familiarize yourself with the Carey Business School, Johns Hopkins University, the incoming student population, and the Summer Intensive content
• Actively provide feedback on the training process
• Participate in assessment of your role as Group Leader and in the overall Summer Intensive Program
• Other duties as assigned
Post - Program (5%)
• Assist with the culmination of the program, including inventorying, boxing, storing, and returning materials to their appropriate location.
• Save and organize program pictures.
• Make recommendations for future programs.
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
• High School Diploma/GED required.
• Two years of related experience.
• Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula (30 undergraduate degree credits/semester hours or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience).
• Bachelor's degree preferred
• Experience working with diverse student populations and/or teaching/leading groups preferred.
• Maturity, high level of responsibility and energy
• Experience leading and/or facilitating groups and/or workshops, and/or experience teaching is preferred
• Previous experience working with international students preferred
• Work or educational background in Intercultural Communication is preferred
• Strong interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor
• Reliable and punctual
• Ability to handle multiple priorities/tasks
• Ability to execute tasks in a timely and effective manner
• Problem-solving and critical thinking skills
• Classroom management preferred
• Experience in a fast-paced environment
• Experience as a camp counselor or college RA preferred
• Experience supervising young adults preferred
• Previous experienced with international students preferred
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Comfortable speaking in front of a large group
• Excellent communication skills (ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and frequently)
• Demonstrated ability to be open, flexible, positive, and withhold judgement
• Positive attitude; passionate, energetic
• Team player that leads by example
• Calm and controlled under pressure
• Ability to enforce rules
• Leadership skills
• Demonstrated flexibility in a workplace
• Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
• Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Classified Title: Student Services Assistant
Working Title: Baltimore Summer Intensive Group Leader
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OD
Starting Salary Range: $15.41hr
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30-5pm plus evenings and weekends as needed to accommodate student programming
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 46-MD:JH at Harbor East
Department name: 60000051-Student Services
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.