SANID (Arabic for ‘Support’) is the National Emergency Response Volunteer Program of the UAE. Launched in 2009, SANID draws on the strengths of proven international models, particularly the Swedish Civil Defense League and the US Citizen Corps. It unites volunteers throughout the UAE who share a sense of social and civic responsibility and prepares them to cope with national and international emergencies, thus demonstrating the country’s readiness to manage any crisis situation.
Sanid contributes to the community’s resilience towards disasters, crises, and emergencies by building a cadre of emergency response volunteers through:
• Training citizens on basic safety and emergency preparedness
• Deploying certified emergency response volunteers where needed
• Conducting safety awareness campaigns
• Responding to large-scale international crises and disasters
• Supporting existing emergency response organizations