• Dominican Republic

Classroom Audience
Early Childhood

Pricing

Salary / Benefits
Room and board are provided.
Mar 03, 2020
May 09, 2018

DREAM is seeking certified teachers to work in our DREAM Summer School and Camp, a five week program for at-risk children, aged 9-17. The summer camp offers additional educational support through individualized tutoring, experiential learning and specialized educational programs to students who are at risk of dropping out. Teachers will work in an area that best matches their individual talents (including English, math, ESL, heath, reading and writing courses) to guide the children in educational exploration. They will also work directly with Dominican teachers so that they may demonstrate hands-on learning to allow for replication and sustainability.

Teachers are asked to serve as mentors and show the children what it means to be a world citizen. Volunteers will introduce children to a cross-cultural curriculum, which explores topics as serious as racism toward Haitians, economic disparity, globalization and peaceful cooperation.

• Benefits 10
  • Facilities 10
Sidney

I fell in love with the waves

My experience with the Dream project was the best that I could have expected. We were accommodated well, provided housing and delicious meals. The children we worked with were supper sweat and the kindest that I ever had the honor of working with. After just three short weeks I felt like I had absorbed as much of the culture as I could. Each day was a pleasant adventure and I would recommend this program to anyone. I have traveled to a few countries but something about the DR is magical, so much I went back again! The staff was amazing and good at what they do year long!

This program could be improved by making sure all volunteers speak enough Spanish to communicate with all the children.