Go Overseas Writer

Member for

5 years 8 months

Erin is a New Jersey native who has spent time on 6 of 7 of the world's continents, some of which as a volunteer in both Tanzania and Honduras. Learn more about her travel adventures at Dowd Travels, Amster Dowd, or on Twitter @eedowd27 and Google+.

Travel Experience
0-5 Countries
Erin

Moving Worlds is amazing! They provide connections to volunteer opportunities all over the world targeting specific skills, and they also support through online training and a comprehensive document that becomes the pre-departure conversation between the volunteer and the organization. While I can only speak for the two organizations I volunteered with, I had experiences that both benefited my career and gave me new ideas for future endeavors.

In my first placement I was the ESL coordinator at Vanavil Trust in India tasked with setting up a computer lab, training teachers in English instructional practices, working with students, and providing recommendations for improvement. Everyone I worked with cared deeply about the children in the program, and I felt safe and at home immediately. I still plan to work with them on future projects.

When I got home I didn't feel like I was done volunteering so I checked out the Moving Worlds website again to find a fantastic opportunity to further develop my skills in curriculum writing and consultation. I began working with Honduras Child Alliance. I was able to visit the project site twice and write an entire curriculum. I was then able to train volunteers and program staff and observe my project in action.

Because of Moving Worlds I have been able to extend my global network, deepen my skills, and explore a new career option.

Erin

My experience with the CCS Tanzania program was a great one. The staff was absolutely amazing, and I considered them to be my family away from home. In addition to the volunteer placement, I was able to go on safari and to nearby Zanzibar on the weekends. This was an experience that I will never forget. The town Bagamoyo (where I volunteered) means "lay down your heart," in Swahili. I definitely left part of my heart there.