Robin Goralka

Go Overseas Writer

Member for

4 years 8 months

Robin Goralka is a recent graduate of UC Berkeley, where, in addition to getting her degree in English Literature, she served on the executive slate for the Queer Alliance and Resource Center. She currently lives in an LGBTQ cooperative house. She studied abroad for a semester in Bordeaux, France and next fall will be returning to France to teach English in a small city. She also enjoys vegetarian baking, comic books, and watching professional cycling. Find Robin on <a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/117740368506118733103/posts" rel="author">Google+</a>.

Travel Experience
15+ Countries
Robin

Well, first of all, Rivendell is absolutely gorgeous! I can't imagine a more beautiful place to study. Although I was left to work pretty much on my own, the immense library resources more than made up for the lack of academic support. Also, the elves I met there were some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. I'll always remember the nights we spent singing and telling stories.

Robin

First off, I've got to say that campus life at MU is great! I rushed a sorority my first semester there (Go HSS!), and my sisters were there for me every step of the way. Moreover, it was such a thrill to be studying at a legendary institution like MU. They had a bunch of scaring techniques that we don't use at my school, so it was great to get an international perspective on the scaring industry. I only wish I could've stayed longer.

The world can be a scary place for LGBT folks. With conservative countries seeming to increase their homophobic rhetoric and violence (here's looking at you, Russia) and homophobic backlash rising in countries that are making strides towards equality, making the decision to live...
Regardless of who you are, studying abroad is an adventure and a challenge wrapped in an enigma. However, going overseas as an LGBT person presents its own unique set of anxieties and problems. When I went to study in Bordeaux for a semester, my transition into French life...

My Guides