This is a unique experience in rural China where you will assist the handler who is responsible for 2 giant pandas in this breeding centre. Duties include cleaning out their inside and outside areas, feeding them, panda enrichment, planting bamboo trees (many needed!) and getting to know your pandas. Help teach the handlers to speak English. Whilst there, visit a local school and have a session speaking English with the students. You can also visit a local farmer, see what he grows, help him pick his crop and share a lunch with him. This is a great experience for those who are not only animal lovers but also for an in-depth cultural experience seeing rural China and getting to know the locals and their customs. It will also appeal to those studying Mandarin wanting to practise and learn more.
You can combine this placement with studying Mandarin in a different location where you can also teach English to Chinese students for a couple of hours a day.
- Rare experience to help in the daily care of giant pandas
- An opportunity to see the real China in a rural off the beaten track area
- Learn and practice your Mandarin and help teach English to the handlers and children in a school
- Combine volunteering with pandas with learning Mandarin in a different location and see more of China
- Visit the Terracotta Warriors either before or after your placement