Cultural Immersion Program: Impact India

Cooking
Cooking
Rooftop Yoga
Rooftop Yoga

A cultural immersion program designed to positively impact High School students and create global awareness.

Students will have the opportunity to make a difference in a small village located in Pune, India. They will be able to share their values and skills with students their own age, while learning about a culture that may be very new to them. Students will form life-long bonds with their peers both here in the USA and abroad, and will have experiences they will never forget.

The program encompasses a year of India’s festivities and culture in 7 days. Students will be on a compressed track of learning, while still experiencing the wonders of cultural immersion and exchange. With the guidance of a certified life coach, students will embark on a journey of self-discovery through daily yoga and meditation.

• Youth Service & Leadership
  • Cultural Immersion
  • Sustainable Living
  • Daily Yoga & Meditation
  • Traditional Indian Dance Lessons

Impact

We believe in providing opportunities for students, teachers and volunteers or all ages that open minds and empower the spirit! Each of our programs integrate 10 fundamental values we believe contributes to developing a holistic perspective that considers Self, Community and the Environment.

Our 10 Holistic Programming Values

8. history
9. communication
10. team collaboration

Cammie

Thank you for the most wonderful opportunity to travel Pune, India with the Puranik foundation!

Traveling to Pune allowed me to get a better idea of what I am passionate about. Before my trip, I never considered myself exploring teaching professionally. However, after meeting and spending a week with the wonderful Vision International children, I have realized that a career in education abroad, may be something I am interested in. Every student that I met was warm, intelligent and kind. Interacting with and seeing the glow on these students faces everyday made me want to stay in Pune forever! Moving forward, the Puranik Foundation has provided me with an additional world view and I am forever grateful for it. I now better understand why Mark Twain said that, "travel is fatal to prejudice, bigatry and narrow mindedness". It is impossible to connect with the people of a land and leave unchanged. Thank-you, Puranik Foundation!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Being in India also made me reconsider how I use the word ‘normal’. The definition of the word normal is “the usual, average, or typical state or condition”. During my travel, oftentimes I found that my peers and I would use 'normal' to differentiate American and Indian perspectives. (Of course, the American way was the normal way.) “Normal food , normal bathrooms , normal showers” , etc. The preconceptions we made about traditional Indian customs and ways of life had been so ignorant--in the purest sense. We did not know and did not know that we did not know.