Yahel Social Change Program: The Grassroots Israel Experience

The Yahel Social Change Program is a 9-month service learning opportunity in Israel for post-graduates age 21-27. Participants make meaningful contributions to Israeli society, work with Ethiopian-Israeli or Arab-Israeli communities and gain experience alongside local grassroots change makers. Each participant works with Yahel staff to create a personalized weekly schedule of 4-5 different volunteer placements.

-Grow professionally by working in a nonprofit setting, teaching in the local schools, working with at-risk youth, working in community gardens and cultivating deep relationships with community members.
-Explore the country and engage with Israeli social change initiatives through meetings with activists, social entrepreneurs and policy makers.
-Live as part of a diverse local Israeli community and experience the community's culture, tradition and way of life.
-Learn about social change and community work first hand

Alexa

The best summer of my life

I spent a summer with Yahel’s Jerusalem service learning trip and it was an incredible experience. We had a home base in a big building in Kiryat Yovel, where we all worked in different capacities in community service. I worked for the most part in manual labor projects with teens from the community. Despite the language barrier, I learned so much from them and from the program and felt amazing about the physical impact we had on our environment. We did everything from gardening to picking up trash to painting houses. As a program, Yahel also took us on amazing excursions to meet all kinds of people and we discussed our intended impact for social change in sessions as a group. I loved every second of it.

This program was amazing, but could have been improved by open and honest discussions about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It was the one subject that was really tiptoed around.
Jacob

A Great Post-University Experience

For the last seven months, I've been volunteering in Israel under Yahel. It's been a complete and total blast. I'm doing a lot of volunteering for the local community of Rishon LeZion, mainly teach and tutor kids English. I also had the chance to learn Hebrew, meet some great people both inside and outside my program, and explore Israel in new and exciting ways, like learning all about the Ethiopian-Israeli community.

I'd highly recommend this program for anyone who just graduated from university and is looking for a great way to spend the year.

Ilana

Participant's Experience

I had a great time as a participant on the Yahel Social Change Program! As a member of the Lod Cohort, I volunteered in schools, an after school program for Ethiopian-Israelis, and led an English club for Arab high schoolers, however everyone was really able to shape their experience and volunteer with whatever type of organizations inspired them.

Our apartment was a beautiful two story space with a giant porch that wrapped around and all the amenities one could hope for. The neighborhood was close to the center and a mixed population. While Lod wasn't the safest city in the country, the program did a good job of keeping the participants safe while still showing us lots of sides of the country we wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to see.

The staff did a good job of helping out when we needed it and keeping their distance when we could figure things out on our own.

Overall would highly recommend.

The program is a little small which meant we really had to build connections outside of the program which was a little difficult with the language barrier. Yahel would be perfect if it was a little bigger and did a better job of teaching us Hebrew.

About Yahel - Israel Service Learning

Yahel was founded in 2009 as an educational nonprofit organization that offers high quality immersive service learning programs in Israel that are community based and unique in their depth and sustainability. The organization was founded by Dana...