Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Peru Lima from US$180

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Lima and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 4 volunteer project options in Lima and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Lima you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Lima:

• Teaching English
  • Medical
  • Special Needs Care/Childcare
  • Construction and Renovation
  • IVHQ’s Peru Lima program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $180 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 20 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Lima each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Impact

Yes, we can accommodate families on our volunteer programs and our local team can make arrangements to ensure you are accommodated and placed on a project together. To apply to volunteer abroad as a family, one person needs to complete the application process first and select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Will you be volunteering with a friend, family member or group?’ within the application form. They...
Hi Laurie, according to the IVHQ website, "Volunteers in Lima are accommodated with other volunteers, in either a​volunteer house run by a the local coordinator's family or in a homestay." "Volunteers are provided with three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)." I did an IVHQ program myself and both of those were included in the program.
Hi Sarah, You just need to be 18+ or travel with a parent/guardian. Hope this helps!

Haylee

Knowledge and Experience Galore

I find myself in awe... with every new person I meet and new place I see. I’m overwhelmed by the grace I’ve been given. Lately it’s evident through Peruvians and fellow world travelers. I’ve accidentally fallen into a gracious stranger’s lap on the bus, had an adorable girl (in one of the poorest school districts in Pachacútec) offer me her snack, came home to clean sheets and been referred to as family by everyone. I’ve met such genuine, kind people who are full of love.

I’m thankful for my rambunctious housemates who’ve become family. I’m thankful for the unbound sea, broad mountains and restless sand dunes. I’m thankful for the quiet moments that I’ve had with Jesus. I’m thankful for the sweet kids who’ve let us practice medicine on them. They’ve taught me not only valuable medical skills, but also humorously improved my Spanish. I’ve seen Christ in so many different lights. This trip has been full of surreal memory-making moments. Yet it has taught me time and time again: life is about the little things.
So here I am blessed to be a little person; everyday I’m just trying to spread more love in this great, big world. If you’d like to hear some stories, please ask me about Peru! “Traveling is an investment that makes us feel alive.”

The medical program could use a partnership with a doctor and set schedules every week.
Sydney
Sydney

Special Needs Care in Lima - IVHQ

I loved working with the mamas in the orphanages, they are so sweet and welcoming. As someone who doesn’t know Spanish either, everyone in the program was so helpful and supportive. Getting to experience what it is like to be in an unfamiliar place with a language I don’t know was valuable to me so that in the future I can better understand migrant kids that I would like to work with in schools. I feel more empathetic and understanding than ever before.

The local staff was so helpful providing guidance with different places to visit in and around Lima. I went in a dune buggy, paraglide, and hiked a 4600 meter high mountain, all things I had done for the first time. I really got out of my comfort zone. Plus, the local staff’s responses were timely and they checked in with us often too so I always felt supported. I felt very safe and cared for with them. And the host families are so wonderful too! The food and hospitality made me feel welcomed and right at home.

More detail at orientation about the different programs you could choose while there. Otherwise it really was a good program.
Isabel

Childcare/Special Needs

Volunteering in Lima was a life changing experience. I know this is the cliqué thing to say, but it honestly did change my life. Volunteering allows you to remember, in case you've forgotten, how lucky you are. Others are much more unfortunate than you are. Being able to give your time and effort to help others is so full filling and life enhancing. I feel in love with helping others, and now, even being back home, I´ll continue to volunteer with kids with special needs and I´ll never stop doing it. IVHQ provided me with much more than just a volunteering program. Volunteering with IVHQ is an amazing experience because they link you with a honest and reliable local organization. People from all over the world come to volunteer and because of this you will be able to make the best friendships ever. You might just know some people for a few weeks and still make friendships to last a life time. I volunteered for 2 months and loved it! I would really recommend this amazing experience for anyone who's willing to go out of their comfort zone and whose ready to help others! do it, you won't regret it.

I really think that the local team is completely amazing. All of the coordinators are extraordinary. They made my program as good as it could get. I would say that if you are more of a long term volunteer (more than just a few weeks), staying 6 weeks is the perfect amount. It's not too little and not too much either.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

I appreciate you leaving this amazing review about your time with IVHQ volunteering in Lima, Isabel! Hearing that this volunteer program changed your life is very heartwarming and the fact that it has inspired you to continue giving back to communities by volunteering back home is the perfect result. We often hear from volunteers that they have made lifelong friendships by volunteering on IVHQ programs so that is certainly great to hear that this was true of your experience too! I hope you continue to venture out of your comfort zone finding opportunities like this one in Lima and all the best for the future! ^Aydan - IVHQ Lima Program Manager

Juliana

Life changing Experience in Lima, Peru through IVHQ Tarpuy Sonqo

Traveling to Peru and working with Tarpuy Sonqo resulted in two unforgettable, humbling, educational, and incredibly enjoyable weeks and I would go as far as to say these were two of the best weeks of my life. From an extremely kind family with whom I stayed with to the medical program coordinator, everyone was always there to help if they were needed. The medical volunteering program itself exposed me to a new life. Nothing was more humbling than being able to do my part in working with the Peruvian children and seeing the smiles on their faces was more memorable than even Machu Pichu itself. I felt safe at all times and we even went on a tourism day which gave us a chance to explore Lima. I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in traveling abroad!

The only recommendation I can make would be to perhaps to encourage those who have never traveled before to prepare for culture shock. This was not an issue for me but I traveled with a friend whose first time it was out of the country. This is of course not completely under the control of the program as this is something all travelers should be prepared to face, but I think further encouraging participants to prepare for this would be effective.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It is definitely great to hear that you had a fantastic time on the Peru - Lima Program! It sounds like you struck the perfect balance between giving back by volunteering and experiencing a beautiful culture like that of Peru. I know that your work in Lima was very much appreciated and that the medical assistance you provided the people of Pachacutec was well needed. All the best for the future Juliana! ^Aydan - IVHQ Lima Program Manager

Nikki

Lima childcare

My overall experience at the program was amazing. Everything was well explained and I definitely made an impact on the children. I definitely recommend knowing Spanish though because of the language barrier! I got to help out a lot in the classroom working with the children, and the teacher I was working alongside with even let me teach the children some English (animals and colors). I had a great time working and traveling and met amazing people.

Have the people in charge speak English
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It is great to hear that you had such an amazing time with the IVHQ local team during your time on the Peru - Lima Program! I am sure the children would have loved having you around and you certainly would have brightened up their day. Please know that you would be welcome back with open arms anytime! ^Aydan - IVHQ Peru Program Manager

Patricia

Special Needs/Childcare

I was truly blessed to have had the opportunity to volunteer for 2 weeks in Lima with IVHQ. We partnered with a local organization called, "TarpuySonqo" and my particular project entailed organizing lesson plans and activities for teenage girls (aged 12-18) who were either victims of rape, abuse, prostitution and/or involved in petty crime. Some of these girls were pregnant or had young children, so we not only got a chance to interact with them but also their infants. It was such a pleasure volunteering at this site each day because despite their individual circumstances, you felt genuine warmth and love from each teenage girl, their babies, as well as the entire staff (i.e. psychologists, cooks, gatekeepers etc).
If you enjoy mingling and meeting new people then the homestay is a great fit for you. I got to meet fellow volunteers from all over the world and not only did friendships develop but we got to plan and go on weekend excursions together.
My only suggestions are 1) If you want to improve your Spanish be proactive, step outside of your comfort zone and speak Spanish to anyone you come across (hosts, cooks, cleaners, local coordinators etc) because it's easy to resort to English with your fellow volunteers 2) When booking your plane ticket give yourself a few extra days in the country (post-volunteering) to account for bigger excursions (i.e. Machu Picchu etc) 3) If you're able to, consider volunteering for 2 weeks or more in order to build a solid foundation and have a greater impact at your placement site.

N/A
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Patricia! It's great to hear a bit about the work you did on your placement and the experiences you had outside the program. Your time has been most appreciated and you have some valuable suggestions for future volunteers. ^Lachlan - IVHQ Peru Lima Program Manager

Erum

Lima, Peru

I've never been abroad alone, so this was a great start! I met so many people and it was only a 2 week stay but it was a trip of a lifetime. I really felt I made a difference even by making one of the kids smile or laugh. I cant wait to do it again.
There was a room of children with severe conditions. One day, I was asked to help with physical therapy. These children are unable to speak, so it was a different kind of connection I felt when I was holding them. The gratitude I felt to be able to help them was tremendous. It was truly a reality check of how lucky I am.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Erum, We are so happy to hear that you had a trip of a lifetime in Lima, Peru! Thanks for sharing and we would love to have you back.

Emma

Trip of a lifetime !!

Lima Peru was my first volunteering experience abroad and I can't express how much this experience has impacted me. Whilst in Peru I had the pleasure of working with the children at the orphanage. At first I felt a little overwhelmed but the staff and the other volunteers soon made me feel much at ease, and seeing the children smile made me feel very blessed to have been given the opportunity to work with them. I assisted in phycology, where we arranged activities for the children. Despite the language barrier (which was soon broken) over the course of the two weeks I was able to see the progression that I had made with the children. Peru soon became my home away from home thanks to the other volunteers and the staff. The other volunteers were like my family, and I take comfort in knowing that I have made friends from all Corners of the earth. There's many things to do in Peru, whilst there myself and other volunteers took a trip to Haucachina ,a great weekend sandboarding. My time in Peru helped me step out of my comfort zone, meet new people and help make a difference. I've learnt so much more than what I thought possible, coming away with great gratitude. If you are hesitant about volunteering, just do it! It's true what they say, it really does change your life.

The programme was great, the only thing I would say is to do the orientation as soon as people get to the house as for me having the weekend before orientation i figured out most of what we had to do from other volunteers.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emma, It's great to hear from you. We are glad that your experience in Peru was such a positive one. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Jenna

Perfect break from your routine to leave a positive impact

What an experience! Not only were we able to help children with disabilities but we were also able to really travel around Lima and experience Peru's local culture. I would never had imagined myself on a Peruvian local bus headed to an orphanage with 10 people I had met only two days ago yet felt like we have been friends for a long time. The experience you get with IVHQ is unique and the people you meet in the program will inspire you for a lifetime.

I would recommend this program to lay out an "agenda" for the week for each volunteer so everyone has a clear idea of the tasks being asked of them during the week and they can plan their trips to various areas of Peru accordingly.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jenna, Thanks for sharing your feedback and photos. It sounds like you had a really memorable experience in Lima which we love hearing. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Morgan

Lima Discovered

I knew when I signed up to volunteer in Lima that I would be helping people but what I didn't know was how wonderful it would be for me! I loved volunteering and making a contribution to a community. However the people I met in Lima changed me completely. The environment that we lived in, everyone being in the house together was so rewarding. I can't not believe how close I got with the other volunteers over the course of only 2 weeks. We did absolutely everything together and enjoyed it, I never wanted to be alone in that house. I also never felt alone. The people I was with were so incredible that whenever someone was leaving the house we played a game. Everyone had to think of one word to describe that person and the person leaving had a word for everyone else as well. Well when it was my turn I don't think I was mentally prepared for how incredible these other volunteers were. The things they had to say about me touched my heart so much I don't think I could ever forget them. I have never been in a room full of that many people crying out of happiness. I will never forget my experience with IVHQ in Lima but I will especially never forget how wonderful the other volunteers made me feel. Lima and that household will always have my heart. I would recommend any Ivhq program to anybody and I would go on another program in a heart beat. Thank you Ivhq for the best memories of my life.

The only complaint that I have is that the person that was suppose to pick me up at the airport was actually upstairs with another volunteer they had picked up. I was terrified when I arrived at the airport with no one to pick me up. I hadn't volunteered with Ivhq or known anyone that had. Being 18 and traveling alone for the first time was already scary but having no one to pick me up at the airport was even scarier.
AlexaHart

Had a great time in 2009

I found IVHQ online a few years ago when I quit my job in 2009 and wanted to volunteer in Peru. The application process was pretty straight-forward, and the value for the money was pretty good.

The biggest con was that IVHQ didn't inform me that they weren't the volunteer program. They were just the intermediary between me and the volunteer program. Once I arrived in Peru, IVHQ was no longer involved. The Peruvian program affiliated with IVHQ (Maximo Nivel) was who I volunteered with. It's possible they cleared up the confusion between IVHQ and Maximo Nivel since I've been there.

The volunteer work was really fun and rewarding. I helped paint a battered women's shelter for 3-4 weeks. It got a little repetitive over time, so I changed projects to help take care of kids at a daycare in a rural community for 3-4 weeks after that.

I stayed in a volunteer house for accommodation and really liked it. The food was great, and staying in the house was a good way to connect with fellow volunteers. For three meals a day and good accommodation, the price was decent.

Overall, my experience was positive, and I'd recommend IVHQ.

I would have liked for IVHQ to give me more info on the volunteer program in Peru before I arrived.
TanyaElizabeth

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Volunteering in Peru is one of the best decisions I´ve ever made. It very rewarding and IVHQ has several volunteer opportunities to choose from in Peru depending on your strengths and interests...you can even do more than one to try different experiences! They also offer Spanish lessons at a reasonable price which was fun and useful. I was able to make lifelong friendships with other volunteers and had the chance to live with a Peruvian family while there, which I would definitely recommend to really immerse yourself in the culture. I would definitely recommend using IVHQ, they are a great organization.

Chris

Great experience volunteering abroad for first time!

I thought the program was organized very well with the staff helping with pre-trip preparation and helping volunteers get accustomed to the city and new culture. My favourite volunteering activity was teaching English and it was rewarding to see so many enthusiastic students willing to learn. The volunteering program is flexible so you can change positions if you choose to do so at the site. Plenty of time to socialize with other volunteers and time to travel to heritage sites. It was a safe experience and the homestay food was great!

Kristine

LOVEEE

I spent 22 weeks in Peru as a volunteer. Each day had a variety of different experiences. I volunteered in two different orphanages, where I worked with special needs children, toddlers, and older girls. I was able to run activities with the girls and chase the toddlers all in the same day. I taught English in a public school and summer program. Each day was filled with laughter, joy, and love. I never woke up wishing I was elsewhere or wanting to have a day off. Days off from volunteering, were days I longed for my kids at the orphanages or schools. I can honestly say that it was the best weeks of my life. Do it!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...