Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Peru - Lima from US$180

IVHQ offers highly affordable volunteer programs in Peru's capital, Lima. A wide variety of projects are available, including teaching, childcare, medical and construction and renovation. Volunteers stay with either a host family or at a volunteer house, depending on their placement location. Enjoy discounted Spanish language lessons while volunteering in Lima. Volunteers can spend their free time exploring Lima a beautifully messy cosmopolis or head further afield to Machu Pichu and The Amazon river.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Lima:

• Teaching English
  • Medical
  • Special Needs Care/Childcare
  • Construction and Renovation

• Programs are available year-round at extremely affordable prices starting at US$180 for 1 week
  • The Lima program starts on the 1st and 15th of every month and volunteers can join for 1 week up to 24 weeks
  • Projects are based in and around Peru’s capital of Lima
  • Lima program fees includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, volunteer t-shirt and in-country 24/7 volunteer support.
  • IVHQ offers volunteers the opportunity to enjoy discounted Spanish language lessons.
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in Lima, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!

Yes, we can accommodate families on our volunteer programs and our local team can make arrangements to ensure you are accommodated and placed on a project together. To apply to volunteer abroad as a family, one person needs to complete the application process first and select ‘Yes’ to the question ‘Will you be volunteering with a friend, family member or group?’ within the application form. They...
Hi Laurie, according to the IVHQ website, "Volunteers in Lima are accommodated with other volunteers, in either a​volunteer house run by a the local coordinator's family or in a homestay." "Volunteers are provided with three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)." I did an IVHQ program myself and both of those were included in the program.
Hi Sarah, You just need to be 18+ or travel with a parent/guardian. Hope this helps!

Nikki

Lima childcare

My overall experience at the program was amazing. Everything was well explained and I definitely made an impact on the children. I definitely recommend knowing Spanish though because of the language barrier! I got to help out a lot in the classroom working with the children, and the teacher I was working alongside with even let me teach the children some English (animals and colors). I had a great time working and traveling and met amazing people.

Have the people in charge speak English
Patricia

Special Needs/Childcare

I was truly blessed to have had the opportunity to volunteer for 2 weeks in Lima with IVHQ. We partnered with a local organization called, "TarpuySonqo" and my particular project entailed organizing lesson plans and activities for teenage girls (aged 12-18) who were either victims of rape, abuse, prostitution and/or involved in petty crime. Some of these girls were pregnant or had young children, so we not only got a chance to interact with them but also their infants. It was such a pleasure volunteering at this site each day because despite their individual circumstances, you felt genuine warmth and love from each teenage girl, their babies, as well as the entire staff (i.e. psychologists, cooks, gatekeepers etc).
If you enjoy mingling and meeting new people then the homestay is a great fit for you. I got to meet fellow volunteers from all over the world and not only did friendships develop but we got to plan and go on weekend excursions together.
My only suggestions are 1) If you want to improve your Spanish be proactive, step outside of your comfort zone and speak Spanish to anyone you come across (hosts, cooks, cleaners, local coordinators etc) because it's easy to resort to English with your fellow volunteers 2) When booking your plane ticket give yourself a few extra days in the country (post-volunteering) to account for bigger excursions (i.e. Machu Picchu etc) 3) If you're able to, consider volunteering for 2 weeks or more in order to build a solid foundation and have a greater impact at your placement site.

N/A
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Patricia! It's great to hear a bit about the work you did on your placement and the experiences you had outside the program. Your time has been most appreciated and you have some valuable suggestions for future volunteers. ^Lachlan - IVHQ Peru Lima Program Manager

Erum

Lima, Peru

I've never been abroad alone, so this was a great start! I met so many people and it was only a 2 week stay but it was a trip of a lifetime. I really felt I made a difference even by making one of the kids smile or laugh. I cant wait to do it again.
There was a room of children with severe conditions. One day, I was asked to help with physical therapy. These children are unable to speak, so it was a different kind of connection I felt when I was holding them. The gratitude I felt to be able to help them was tremendous. It was truly a reality check of how lucky I am.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Erum, We are so happy to hear that you had a trip of a lifetime in Lima, Peru! Thanks for sharing and we would love to have you back.

Emma

Trip of a lifetime !!

Lima Peru was my first volunteering experience abroad and I can't express how much this experience has impacted me. Whilst in Peru I had the pleasure of working with the children at the orphanage. At first I felt a little overwhelmed but the staff and the other volunteers soon made me feel much at ease, and seeing the children smile made me feel very blessed to have been given the opportunity to work with them. I assisted in phycology, where we arranged activities for the children. Despite the language barrier (which was soon broken) over the course of the two weeks I was able to see the progression that I had made with the children. Peru soon became my home away from home thanks to the other volunteers and the staff. The other volunteers were like my family, and I take comfort in knowing that I have made friends from all Corners of the earth. There's many things to do in Peru, whilst there myself and other volunteers took a trip to Haucachina ,a great weekend sandboarding. My time in Peru helped me step out of my comfort zone, meet new people and help make a difference. I've learnt so much more than what I thought possible, coming away with great gratitude. If you are hesitant about volunteering, just do it! It's true what they say, it really does change your life.

The programme was great, the only thing I would say is to do the orientation as soon as people get to the house as for me having the weekend before orientation i figured out most of what we had to do from other volunteers.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emma, It's great to hear from you. We are glad that your experience in Peru was such a positive one. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Jenna

Perfect break from your routine to leave a positive impact

What an experience! Not only were we able to help children with disabilities but we were also able to really travel around Lima and experience Peru's local culture. I would never had imagined myself on a Peruvian local bus headed to an orphanage with 10 people I had met only two days ago yet felt like we have been friends for a long time. The experience you get with IVHQ is unique and the people you meet in the program will inspire you for a lifetime.

I would recommend this program to lay out an "agenda" for the week for each volunteer so everyone has a clear idea of the tasks being asked of them during the week and they can plan their trips to various areas of Peru accordingly.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jenna, Thanks for sharing your feedback and photos. It sounds like you had a really memorable experience in Lima which we love hearing. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Morgan

Lima Discovered

I knew when I signed up to volunteer in Lima that I would be helping people but what I didn't know was how wonderful it would be for me! I loved volunteering and making a contribution to a community. However the people I met in Lima changed me completely. The environment that we lived in, everyone being in the house together was so rewarding. I can't not believe how close I got with the other volunteers over the course of only 2 weeks. We did absolutely everything together and enjoyed it, I never wanted to be alone in that house. I also never felt alone. The people I was with were so incredible that whenever someone was leaving the house we played a game. Everyone had to think of one word to describe that person and the person leaving had a word for everyone else as well. Well when it was my turn I don't think I was mentally prepared for how incredible these other volunteers were. The things they had to say about me touched my heart so much I don't think I could ever forget them. I have never been in a room full of that many people crying out of happiness. I will never forget my experience with IVHQ in Lima but I will especially never forget how wonderful the other volunteers made me feel. Lima and that household will always have my heart. I would recommend any Ivhq program to anybody and I would go on another program in a heart beat. Thank you Ivhq for the best memories of my life.

The only complaint that I have is that the person that was suppose to pick me up at the airport was actually upstairs with another volunteer they had picked up. I was terrified when I arrived at the airport with no one to pick me up. I hadn't volunteered with Ivhq or known anyone that had. Being 18 and traveling alone for the first time was already scary but having no one to pick me up at the airport was even scarier.
AlexaHart

Had a great time in 2009

I found IVHQ online a few years ago when I quit my job in 2009 and wanted to volunteer in Peru. The application process was pretty straight-forward, and the value for the money was pretty good.

The biggest con was that IVHQ didn't inform me that they weren't the volunteer program. They were just the intermediary between me and the volunteer program. Once I arrived in Peru, IVHQ was no longer involved. The Peruvian program affiliated with IVHQ (Maximo Nivel) was who I volunteered with. It's possible they cleared up the confusion between IVHQ and Maximo Nivel since I've been there.

The volunteer work was really fun and rewarding. I helped paint a battered women's shelter for 3-4 weeks. It got a little repetitive over time, so I changed projects to help take care of kids at a daycare in a rural community for 3-4 weeks after that.

I stayed in a volunteer house for accommodation and really liked it. The food was great, and staying in the house was a good way to connect with fellow volunteers. For three meals a day and good accommodation, the price was decent.

Overall, my experience was positive, and I'd recommend IVHQ.

I would have liked for IVHQ to give me more info on the volunteer program in Peru before I arrived.
TanyaElizabeth

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Volunteering in Peru is one of the best decisions I´ve ever made. It very rewarding and IVHQ has several volunteer opportunities to choose from in Peru depending on your strengths and interests...you can even do more than one to try different experiences! They also offer Spanish lessons at a reasonable price which was fun and useful. I was able to make lifelong friendships with other volunteers and had the chance to live with a Peruvian family while there, which I would definitely recommend to really immerse yourself in the culture. I would definitely recommend using IVHQ, they are a great organization.

Chris

Great experience volunteering abroad for first time!

I thought the program was organized very well with the staff helping with pre-trip preparation and helping volunteers get accustomed to the city and new culture. My favourite volunteering activity was teaching English and it was rewarding to see so many enthusiastic students willing to learn. The volunteering program is flexible so you can change positions if you choose to do so at the site. Plenty of time to socialize with other volunteers and time to travel to heritage sites. It was a safe experience and the homestay food was great!

Kristine

LOVEEE

I spent 22 weeks in Peru as a volunteer. Each day had a variety of different experiences. I volunteered in two different orphanages, where I worked with special needs children, toddlers, and older girls. I was able to run activities with the girls and chase the toddlers all in the same day. I taught English in a public school and summer program. Each day was filled with laughter, joy, and love. I never woke up wishing I was elsewhere or wanting to have a day off. Days off from volunteering, were days I longed for my kids at the orphanages or schools. I can honestly say that it was the best weeks of my life. Do it!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...