GAP YEAR/6-month+ Service Learning Opportunities in Denmark with United Planet

GAP YEAR/6-month+ Service Learning Opportunities in Denmark with United Planet

Join United Planet on a gap year program in Denmark!

From 6 months to a year, you can volunteer abroad in Denmark and work with a local community on a variety of community service projects, while staying with a host family. Volunteer can choose from working with the elderly, the disabled, and take part in projects designed for children. Volunteer can also teach in their native language and become conversation partners. This usually involves teaching English, French, or Spanish. Visit the United Planet website for more details on gap year volunteer programs in Denmark.

Check out United Planet’s Blog to learn more about taking a gap year.

Europe » Denmark

Claudia

Fresh out of high school and it changed my life!

I completed my TEFL course at Samui TEFL in March 2014. It was one of the most interesting courses I have done as Katherine keeps you engaged at all times and makes sure you really understand your work. The hands on experience with Thai children is really beneficial as you would not get that experience with an online course and it gives you a taste of what being an ESL teacher is all about. I was 18-years-old when I did the course and I did not struggle to find a great job as Katherine and Rosanne helped me through the entire process and they are great support. I wish I could go back and redo the course as I enjoyed it way more than any college courses I've ever completed.

Taylor
Atlantic Highlands

Best Year Ever

Volunteering with United Planet and ICYE-Denmark was hands down one of the best experiences I've been a part of. From the beginning with Pre-Departure Training United Planet made sure I was prepared for every possible scenario and answered all of my (many) questions. Even after I had departed for my year long quest United Planet was there to lend support, with Meggie (the long term coordinator) checking in each month to see how I was doing. Also, the ICYE-Denmark team did an amazing job of making sure their volunteers were safe and taken care of; every three months we had mandatory weekend check-ins in Odense where the Danish ICYE-volunteers would gather the exchangees and help them through different things like conflict management, every day struggles, homesickness, culture shock, etc. At first I was hesitant about going to Denmark because it wasn't my first choice country but ultimately I'm glad I went because it turned out to be the right country and the right experience. I had the opportunity to volunteering as an English teaching assistant in a Christian school in Copenhagen. From the moment I arrived at the school I was embraced with open arms and treated like part of the community. I was given the chance to be a part of almost all of the English classes for grade 3 through 9 and was part of the after school program with the younger children. As someone who hopes to have a long career in teaching English, it was amazing to be a part of this small school and to experience first hand what the education system was like in other countries.

In addition Denmark is such a rich and exciting country that is filled with so much to see and do. Copenhagen has such a rich history to explore and a vibrant culture; there was never a dull moment and simply walking around the city was enough to entertain me. In addition I was given the chance to explore other areas of the country from the abandoned World War 2 bunkers, to the author HC Anderson's house, and I even got to stand at the highest point of the country where two different oceans merge into one!

Overall United Planet and ICYE-Denmark go out of their way to immerse you into Danish culture and give you the full Danish experience during your stay. From a traditional Danish Christmas, to Fastelavn (the Danish version of our Halloween), to every day life and learning the Danish language, I walked away from the end of my program feeling like I truly created another home for myself in Denmark, bonding with a country and making friends that I know I'll stay in touch with.

Response from United Planet

Taylor, we love hearing about your experience in Denmark! It sounds like you were truly immersed in the culture and able to form some incredibly meaningful relationships with those in the community where you served. We appreciate your volunteer service and look forward to you staying involved with United Planet!

United Planet is an international non-profit organization based in Boston, MA with a mission to enhance cross-cultural understanding while addressing shared challenges to create a community beyond borders, one relationship at a time. We connect volunteers who want to make a difference with communities in