By Frontier   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

Mexico Sea Turtle Conservation Project

By Frontier   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

Mexico is the Central American heartland that epitomises the best of Latin fiesta spirit and the legacy of the Mayan civilization.

Mexico’s environment is under great threat from human influences including the development of the coastline and recreational activities which result in disturbances and habitat loss. Turtles are slow to adapt to changing environmental conditions and many baby turtles are eaten by predators in the first few months or choked by litter and pollution while still juveniles.

As a volunteer you will be working to rehabilitate juvenile sea turtles in a natural enclosure until they are ready for release. Other activities include beach patrols during the day or night, and the opportunity to learn about the other marine education and research programmes organised by the project.

For more info on the project, and to appply, please visit our website, click on "Apply now" and one of our volunteer advisors will call you back to answer any questions.

North America › Mexico › Puerto Vallarta

from the UK
Liverpool John Moores University

Costa Rica July 2012

Overall

I spent four weeks in the rain forest of the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica on the frontier project 'Big cats, Primates and sea turtle conservation.'
When I arrived in Costa Rica , puerto jimenez a frontier member of staff met us at the air strip and we all stayed the night in the town before heading out to the camp. This was a great as it allowed me an the other volunteer which i had not yet met to get to know each other also to explore the town on our own. At camp I did not know what to expect of the camp but when we arrived i was amazed at the quality. There was a flushing toilet and handmade showers which made settling in much easier. I chose to sleep in the hammocks which i can honestly say are the most comfiest things to sleep in! All the staff members were amazing I felt like I had known them for years and they became good friends by the end of the month. This project is set in the most beautiful place with huge biodiversity , you are surrounded by so many amazing animals and birds. All the surveys were really interesting and gave an insight to animals in the tropics. Every morning you would be woken up by your natural alarm clock , the Howler Monkeys ,the day would start around 8 am after making granola for breakfast the group split up and set off to do different surveys around the rain forest. I loved doing the surveys , especially the primate ones. Observing different troops of monkeys in the wild was an amazing experience as well it taught me how to record data which will be helpful for future projects.
All the surveys were really interesting and gave an insight to animals in the tropics. In the evenings after dinner we were able to go on night turtle walks on Peje beach walking 18km in one night . Despite it being physically exhausting it was extremely rewarding when I finally got to see and touch an adult Olive Ridley Sea Turtle.. My best memory from camp is when I was hanging out my washing to dry when out of the forest came a troop of capuchin monkeys and they all just swung through the trees only a couple of metres in front of me. On Sunday when there was no surveys I would walk down to the peaceful lagoon on the beach with a couple of volunteers an just relax for a few hours staring out at the Pacific. Every Saturday night was party night where we would have a couple of drinks and play card games with the frontier volunteers and some of the osa volunteers. I met so many interesting people from all over thee world. I made such good friends out there and had such a good time I was sad to return home! There are endless memories from my trip to Costa Rica , I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone. Pura Vida !!

The only concern I had was I took certain things with me which I was told I was told to take but were not needed.

This camp was very good and had lots of spare wellies so I didn't need to take my own. Also it already has lots of cutlery and pots so volunteers don't need to take this with them and can save some money .
Vicky
Manchester, UK
Manchester Metropolitan University

Costa Rica ...January 2013, what an amazing month!

Overall

I have spent 4 weeks in the forest of Costa Rica and have had the most exhilarating experience. Not only have I learnt a lot about such a wonderful area, I have also had the opportunity to expand my field research skills, design and implement my own survey and boosting my confidence and enthusiasm.

Carrying out a BTEC certificate allowed me to focus on gaining further field research skills and learn about an area that I am unfamiliar with. I would recommend the 4 week BTEC to anyone who wants to gain some experience in planning their own field research. The staff on site were more than happy to help discuss ideas, provide support and assist with the surveys.

Life on camp was rather relaxed and the campsite was wonderful. Having flushing toilets and showers was a definite comfort, as well as having my own tent for some privacy. The food was vegetarian and really delicious, we ate really well and it was fun to cook for the group – the others were also keen to help out too. I felt safe on camp and during the surveys and other outings. We had a lot of fun during the trip, including trips to the local bar, games nights and fancy dress. There really was something for everyone.

The experience as a whole has been amazing. The location is perfect to experience all sorts of surveys rather than focusing just on one type. I have seen so much wildlife here and had a chance to learn about research, how to use my camera and gained more experience of planning and carrying out my own research. I feel that I have also gained more confidence and have definitely had an enthusiasm boost which I am going to apply when I get home to my PhD proposal.

For more information about life at the Costa Rica camp, read through my blogs, which can be found at:

I found that there were a lot of things on my kit list that I did not need to bring. Thankfully Elle (Project Coordinator) was on hand to answer all my queries about kit before arriving. I would recommend talking to her first before buying everything and save money if items are not needed.

A world of possibilities awaits you with Frontier. You could be spending memorable days scuba diving off the brilliant white sand beaches of Fiji or discovering Madagascar on a conservation project with lemurs and chameleons.

Frontier has over 300 projects in 50 countries throughout Africa, South America, Europe and Australasia, giving you unlimited adventures and excursions in beautiful locations. WWith 25 years experience in managing volunteering and adventure travel projects, we can find you the perfect project whatever you want to achieve.

You can contribute to positive change in the future of marginalised communities with one of Frontier's development projects. Teach a class of neglected children in under-funded village schools, before adventuring through forests spotting bush babies and flying foxes, or scuba dive and take part in marine conservation in a protected marine eco park.

Go on a Frontier project and discover an adventure beyond your wildest dreams!