Ethical Adventure Trail through Central America

Combine exciting adventure travel with a project placement and experience the best of Central America on an unforgettable adventure trip with Frontier through Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

Traveling with a group of like-minded young explorers and a professional Frontier trail guide, you will explore legendary Mayan ruins set in dense rainforests and swim in azure waters off white sand beaches. Climb to the rim of active volcanoes, ride horseback down ancient mountain trails, snorkel and dive some of the world's best dive sites and loads more, with a group of like-minded adventurers and a professional tour guide.

• A unique view of this fascinating part of the world
  • Discover local cultures and delicacies
  • Immerse yourself in culture as you assist at a local community school
  • Learn about the wildlife of this fascinating biodiversity hotspot
  • Earn your BTEC (at an additional cost)

Alex
No, I don't recommend this program

Avoid Frontier at all costs

Just doing my job to deliver this PSA... I have used frontier and without getting too long-winded STAY AWAY FROM FRONTIER. At best it's a completely disorganized, poorly functioning "volunteer service". At worst they are led by false advertising to steal your money. I sincerely believe it is the latter. I spent roughly 25 weeks in one form or another with Frontier. The London staff is laughable. They don't pay their field staff (some of which are terrible and others are good) or support the projects above the bare minimum. The living conditions are awful compared to how much you're paying and you can see the minimal investments into improving this.

The lodging/equipment was falling apart and constantly breaking. Also, don't expect the money to be used for the cause you actually signed up or care about. It's painfully obvious after my time with them that all the money goes to (misleading) advertising and lawyers (and I'm sure to the board members of this so-called "nonprofit" which is likely a front for tax purposes). They only survive by new volunteers getting tricked by their slick ads and website but be warned they will try to steal your money. I was swindled out of over 2000 USD. And they know the cost of trying to sue them is prohibitively expensive to try to do, and they purposely make you sign ambiguous contracts to make sure they don't have to refund you even if they cancel the project/trip on you. Bottom line. Avoid at all costs.

My recommendation, if you know where or what kind of project you'd like to do, search for local NGOs, etc. You'll save a ton of money, use your money to actually support your desired cause and it'll probably be much more functioning and pleasant. Also in regards to the terrible field staff, they hire anyone with or without any knowledge or credentials often. Had one "guide" that was harassing one of the other volunteers. Another that made up rules, at one point walked away while crying was just an absolute mess from day 1.

Sharnie

Fun in Honduras

Just finished my fourth week and I can't believe how fast the trip is going! Finally arrived in Cofradia on a chicken bus, which was definitely an interesting experience. Imagine an old American School bus filled with as many people as possible and loud music playing! Me, Emily, Caroline and Jeevan went to our homestay, who were really welcoming and friendly. It was great to try some local Honduran food, and we especially liked Gringas- which were like folded pizzas. At the school me and Jeevan took the Kindergarten class and taught them some basic English words. It was a little intimidating to take charge of a class, but the kids were great and we had loads of fun playing with them. My favourite was Eddy, who growls at you when you ask him if he has a girlfriend! My highlight of the week has to be when we saw Spiderman in 3D in San Pedro Sula. The cinema was awesome with big, reclining leather seats and the film was plenty good too!