Do you want to have an experience of a lifetime during your Gap Year, but you also want to give back to the community? The FSD Gap Year program is perfectly designed to allow you the opportunity to travel abroad, experience a new culture, and work alongside community members for a one-of-a-kind Gap Year internship experience.
During your time abroad, you will work directly with community members to tackle a community issue. Previous Gap Year participants have worked in public health, environmental sustainability, microfinance, women's empowerment, youth programs, and more! The Gap Year experience is customized to match your background and skillset with the community priorities.
We have local staff that will work with you from the time you submit an application and all throughout your Gap Year experience. You'll receive intense training so that you can gain real professional skills as part of your community immersion.
- During your Gap Year you will live with a host family and share in cultural experiences, cuisine, and language.
- Your in-country training will give you the confidence to work alongside community members and develop a sustainable project during your Gap Year.
- Our Gap Year program was designed for anywhere from 9 weeks to a full year. Some participants even do multiple Gap Years across the globe with FSD!
- We have more than 200 community partners that help us facilitate your Gap Year program, that way you will receive a placement with a community organization perfectly tailored to your interests.
- Because this program is completely immersive, you will develop language skills in local dialects and learn more about a country than you ever would as a tourist.