Rising Earth Immersion - Sustainability Semester

Yome home
Yome home
Flora K happy fellow
Flora K happy fellow

Is climate change a big deal for you?

Are you seeking an educational experience that links social justice, the environment, the economy, and your development as an individual?

Are you wondering how you might live your life in a way that actually enhances the state of the world?

The Rising Earth Immersion is a 10-week residential semester at The Eco-Institute for change-makers ages 18-28 who are seeking to live in balance with the Earth by engaging in personal, cultural, and ecological healing and transformation.

While living in dynamic community on an organic farm and Earth sanctuary in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, learn how to leverage the transformative power of permaculture for social contribution, environmental leadership, and the creation of a more just world. Live simply while tending the land, growing and preparing fresh food in community, learning homesteading, activism, collaborative leadership, and mindfulness skills, gaining a Permaculture Certificate, and more!

• Grow your own organic food while caring for an educational farm
  • Learn homesteading skills from farmers, fermenters, natural builders, and more
  • Participate in workshops with leading thinkers in alternative economics and climate justice
  • Collaborate with a group of inspired allies in planning activism trips on a regional and national scale
  • Explore the beautiful lands of the Piedmont regions, the dynamic community of Chapel Hill, and the academic district of North Carolina's Research Triangle

David

Life Changing Program

"I've never felt so a part of a community in my entire life. I'm so grateful for all of you." I said, tears pouring down my face at one of my birthday celebrations at the Eco-Institute. Standing in a pre-feast circle with many of the people who have become closest to me.
With an intense desire to go deeper into organic agriculture & permaculture I came to the Eco-Institute in 2014 to participate in the Odyssey Fellowship Program, now the Rising Earth Immersion. After working as a farm hand on organic farms for two years prior, I was thirsty for a more formal education in agriculture, and that's exactly what the Eco-Institute was able to provide. I wanted to learn the skills necessary to sustain myself through holistic agriculture practices on a homestead of my own, and after my education at the Eco-Institute I feel confident that I can fulfill my homesteading dreams.
What I didn't expect was the education in emotional health and awareness. This gained awareness into my feelings has been the single greatest gift I've ever received in my life. I feel more connected to myself, to my romantic partners, to my family, and friends. I feel more complete and authentic and accepting of myself and others in my life. The agriculture piece is more quantitative, a hard, tangible skill. The emotional piece is all qualitative, a soft, intangible skill. I was shown that both are equally in important.
Few programs exist like this one in the world. On such a beautiful piece of land and beautiful community surrounding it. My tears flow every year on my birthday at the Eco-Institute for the overwhelming gratitude I have and will always have for the life changing experience I've had there.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Raw goat's milk and homemade goat's cheese was unfamiliar to me and so so delicious!
Taylor

A Semester to let go and give in

The experiences that you will find during the Rising Earth Immersion are made from your own hands. It is this kind of educational experience that I feel young adults dream of and wish they had in higher education. The land at Pickards Meadow is meant for you to explore and go deep into the realms of your choosing. With the support of community members, teachers, and the land itself these all surround you and hold you as you go deep into your inner worlds. There is plenty of practical studies and again the community is there to help you and give you resources to access your gifts if you haven't already. Finding time to slow down is a piece that you have the ability to learn from in this immersion. The greatest gift though is what the group manifests in their time and each program is of its own and never looks like the one before it. To me that is where the beauty happens and the tough and real experience's of learning how to live in community. Its not always easy and pretty that is where you can practice and grow as a human.

Don't expect to be served an experience that is curated and served to you in a pretty way. This is not that kind of eco-adventure-tourism program, there is beauty and adventure but it is much deeper than that.
Abigail

Influential and Empowering

What would I say about the EIPM's immersion program? what do you do?
Living on a farm, working the garden, preparing farm-to-table dinners, sharing in the harvest, swimming in the lake, meeting new friends... those are a few of the invaluable experiences that you will partake in.

Living and learning with a community of individuals who share a similar vision of the environment and humanity was very empowering and enriching for my soul as I was searching for my life's purpose. Megan and Tim Toben, their family, friends, community members and elders are a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, and guidance who have been phenomenal teachers and role models for me. Their genuine love and mindfulness for everyone and the earth has given me the positive example of how to carry myself with poise and integrity.

Keep an open-mind. Have a willingness to learn new skills. Be ready to work the land.

About The Eco-Institute at Pickards Mountain

The Eco-Institute at Pickards Mountain is a learning community, Earth sanctuary, and permaculture farm located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and established in 2005. Our 10-week residential program for young adults—called The Rising Earth Immersion...