- United States of America
View Other Details
This 42-day program begins and ends in Washington. Students will first embark on a 5-day backpack in North Cascades National Park in Washington, where students begin to learn the ins and outs of leading backcountry trips, get more comfortable with backcountry navigation and moving as a group through new terrain. Throughout the next two months they will get their Wilderness First Responder certification, learn the mechanics of mountaineering and attempt a summit of Mt. Adams and Mt. Olympus, go through a three-day climbing progression at Smith Rock in Oregon where they will learn to multi-pitch climb, and will build up to planning and leading their own 5-day backpack on the Olympic Peninsula.
North Cascades National Park
Gifford Pinchot National Forest
Smith Rock State Park
Olympic National Park
The Leadership Adventure Semester summer course will offer the ability to earn 8 hours of college credit (which equals two classes) through Western Carolina University (WCU).
- Receive 8 college credits from WCU
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification
- Advanced hard skill courses in rock climbing, mountaineering, backpacking and expedition planning
- Capstone 5-day student-led and planned backpack
- Being part of a strong community and learning leadership and community building skills