Medical Experience in Belize for High School Students

Participants in our programs are delivering healthcare and health education, hands-on every day. They are not watching, shadowing or observing and they are not conducting research. They’re making a difference!

Shortly after their arrival at the Belizean airport, the participants will travel as a group to San Ignacio in the Cayo District. Participants will live with GPSA staff in small groups with a host family in the surrounding areas of San Ignacio. While English is the official language of the country, many families speak their mother tongue at home (e.g. Spanish, Maya, Kriol). Living with a host family creates a perfect atmosphere to learn and experience Belizean culture.

For their clinical service, participants are divided into teams led by trained college graduates (premeds from Duke, Johns Hopkins or similar universities) or faculty. Participants learn to facilitate several medical interventions and screenings, and complete an introductory cultural and language training.

• Work alongside community health workers and deliver healthcare related to non-communicable diseases.
  • Learn to facilitate medical interventions and screenings (how to measure infant height and weight, how to measure blood pressure, blood glucose, heart rate, etc.).
  • Participate in cultural activities and explore the Belizean jungles.
  • Live with a host family in the villages outside of San Ignacio.
  • One to four week programs are offered in the summer and winter time.

Xinyuan

Challenging and Fun!

Our program and team leader are really helping us a lot and creating a great opportunity for everyone in the group to genuinely communicate with each other. That is one of the most amazing experience in Belize!It is really wonderful to know about different culture and backgrounds. I really learned a lot in terms of group collaboration,communication,skills,and presentation tips. Our team leader,Gabby,always advises us on how to do things better and get improved. You are all doing terrifically!Thanks for all the support and guidance!

I think about the group arrangement
could be more inclusive and diverse.
Riya

A Life Changing Trip

The GPSA program was an amazing experience. My two-week village stay in San Antonio, Belize last summer was something I will never forget. I was able to expand my knowledge of global disease and prevention by learning in tech sessions taught by Duke students studying similar areas. The people I met not only in my homestay, but living in the village were extremely personable and I keep in touch with them till date. By traveling to other villages to give medical aid, hosting free blood drives, immersing in the village, and much more, my GPSA experience was truly unforgettable.

About Global Public Service Academy for Health

GPSA was founded with an understanding that young adults can make a difference in the world. Through collaboration with local health authorities in Guatemala, Belize and West Virginia, USA, our volunteers and fellows make a lasting difference in the...