SStS Kenya: Childhood Education and Community Empowerment

Experience rural life in Kenya, build relationships with children at the Kithoka Amani Community Home, and go on a wildlife safari.

SERVE:
With SStS, you will have the chance to work shoulder-to-shoulder with our trusted NGO partner, International Peace Initiatives. As part of your work, you will teach and play with children at the orphanage and build a structure at an eco-center.

EXPERIENCE:
You will have the opportunity to learn about daily life in Kenya as well as experience the wildlife of the Samburu game reserve.

LEARN:
As part of your experience, you will learn about ethical leadership and global citizenship through SStS's unique Five Lens Curriculum. In addition, you will be immersed in a local homestay.

THE SSTS DIFFERENCE:
-Small groups (10-12 students)
-Leadership curriculum
-Expert course instructors
-Trusted NGO partners

• Visit an elephant orphanage and giraffe preserve.
  • Teach and play with children at the Kithoka Amani Community Home.
  • Work on a permaculture farm and build structures at an eco-center.
  • Immerse yourself in a local homestay.
  • Go on a safari in the Samburu game park.

Hannah

Kenya Trip

My trip to Kenya this past summer was absolutely lovely. SStS did an amazing job integrating us into such a foreign place. I felt right at home the whole time! The people in Kenya were so bright and welcoming, making the African experience so much more. It was one of the coolest trips I've ever taken. By the end of the trip everyone was like family! We all grew so much as people. I was exposed to so much I didn't know and I'm so grateful for this worldly knowledge I have obtained. Thank you thank you thank you!

I think taking more hikes would be awesome!
Miranda

SStS Kenya

Hey guys! I’m an SStS Detroit and Kenya alumn, and here’s my experience with Kenya:

This trip was an incredible opportunity to travel to a different part of the world. Before Kenya, I’d never been to Africa. It was the start of my passion for traveling, and inspired me to see more of the continent in the years since. It was an amazing experience. We got to work side by side with International Peace Initiatives, with Dr. K, an inspiring woman and mentor, to help with their sustainable living project. Nairobi and Meru are beautiful cities, with truly inspiring citizens. SStS provides us with the opportunity to work with them, share with them, and learn from them. Hearing their stories and witnessing their hard work and determination was incredibly inspiring.
My team was really fun to work with and get to know—we had tons of fun experiences and lasting friendships. I still keep in touch with people from both of my SStS trips. The course instructors, too, are wonderful connections for life. Some of my high school teachers are instructors for other courses, and because of them, I got to meet other inspirational mentors of other programs. One of them even wrote a college recommendation for me, on the basis of my desire to travel and see the world in the lenses we experience with SStS.

In fact, SStS is one of the reasons why I chose to study at an international school for university. Now, I’m studying in Paris and traveling throughout Europe and Africa!

So, sign up for a course today! It’s an incredible opportunity, and one you’ll be thankful to take advantage of.

About Students Shoulder-to-Shoulder

SStS essentially began with a question: what can we do? As classroom educators striving to teach our students about many of the pressing problems that exist in the world, as well as potential solutions for addressing them, students were...