Study Abroad at an American High School in Spain

Students receive a high level of personal attention
Students receive a high level of personal attention
In the summer we often go to the beach at the weekends!
In the summer we often go to the beach at the weekends!
Santiago has a beautiful old town
Santiago has a beautiful old town
Santiago is a beautiful, historic city
Santiago is a beautiful, historic city
Santiago cathedral
Santiago cathedral
Our international boarding students get to visit many different parts of Spain
Our international boarding students get to visit many different parts of Spain
Students get the chance to walk a section of the 1000 year old 'Camino de Santiago'
Class sizes are small at Chester College
Class sizes are small at Chester College

Would you like to improve your Spanish whilst continuing to work toward your High School Diploma? Are you interested in discovering a different, more authentic part of Spain? At Chester College, we teach the American curriculum, and credits are automatically transferred to any American school. Students are welcome to study here for just 1 semester or a full academic year (or more!). Our school is small with a family feel - everyone knows each other and each student receives a high level of personal support and mentoring from their tutor. Class sizes are typically 7-8 students.
You don't need to have any Spanish before arriving (just lots of enthusiasm!).

You can choose to stay either in the boarding houses (split into girls and boys and located next to the school) or with a host family. At the weekend, we take advantage of the incredible scenery that surrounds us and often go to the beach or to do outdoor activities, as well as explore the beautiful city of Santiago de Compostela.

• American curriculum - transfer credits automatically.
  • Small class sizes and lots of personal support and attention.
  • Lots of extra curricular activities with a focus on sports, debating, drama and music.
  • Located in the beautiful city of Santiago de Compostela.
  • Next to amazing beaches and lush green countryside.

Registration for the Spanish International Summer Camp is now open!

We are excited to announce that we are now accepting registrations for the Spanish International Summer Camp! You find out more and sign up here: https://www.chestercollege.org/summer-camps/spanish-summer-camp/

Rosa

Best year ever!

I decided to come to Chester College after taking part in their Spanish summer camp a few summers in a row. I had an amazing year and loved Santiago! I studied 10th grade there as I decided I wanted to improve my Spanish. The classes were really small so I got a lot of help, and I had a Spanish lesson every day so I could improve really quickly. When my level was good enough, I started getting other subjects through Spanish as well like Maths and Science. The teachers are all really nice and give you lots of support if you don't know something. They also helped me to think about my university choices and what career I might be interested in.
I liked living in the residence - I shared a room with a Spanish girl and the monitor was really nice - she was from Spain too. At the weekend we went on trips and went to the beach in the summer. The food was really nice too!
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to study abroad and do well in all their normal subjects but also get fluent in Spanish and experience living in another culture.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I liked trying all the interesting food from Galicia and probably the weirdest thing I ate was octopus! I didn't like it the first time I tried it but after a few times it grew on me and now I think it's delicious - I dragged my parents to a Spanish restaurant when I got home and made them try it!
Alejandra

Three Years at Chester

During my three years of study at Chester College International School, I grew both academically and as a person. Undoubtedly my favorite aspect of studying at Chester College was the chance to study two different education systems simultaneously. This is something that makes the school unique, since it enables students to keep their options open to a wide range of opportunities for university. Moreover, although this may seem as a great amount of work, the teachers make sure that each student has a personalized timetable and choice of courses that best suits their future aspirations.
Studying at Chester has definitely helped me get to where I am now. In fact, studying two different high school systems enabled me to apply to universities in both the UK and Spain. Moreover, throughout the application process, the teachers were extremely helpful and advised me constantly.
Academically, the skills I learnt at Chester are helping me constantly at university. I often look back to my notes from Math and Physics and remember the important time management and study skills we learnt at school.
My years at Chester College were a unforgettable experience. I would recommend it for anyone who wants to open their options for the future and immerse themselves into an outstanding international community.

My advice is to not be afraid to open up to both the students and the staff. Everyone at the school is extremely supportive and ready to help in whatever is needed.
Lara

A really enriching year abroad

I studied Grade 11 in Chester College International School - a few ago already! Looking back, it was a wonderful decision. From an academic standpoint, the recognition of credits was really straightforward and the transition to my school in the UK was very easy. I learnt Spanish from scratch and reached a pretty good level of fluency by the end of the school year - a language I know use for work and travel all the time. Apart from Spanish, I took a number of solid Science subjects, as well as a range of other Arts ones. The cultural experience was also definitely a highlight - Santiago is small, safe and beautiful. I stayed in the school residence during the week (which I shared with a group of Spanish and international students) and would go to a host family during the week-ends (that was my choice back then - I could have had the option to stay in the boarding school during the week-ends as well). I am still in touch with my host parents - they were kind and welcoming and were interested and curious about me. It was a great exchange overall. I made many new friends I am still in touch with. Can´t wait to walk the Camino now and bring a lot of wonderful memories back.

About Chester College International School

Our school is located in the beautiful, historic city of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Northwest Spain. Amazing beaches are just 30 minutes away, and we are home to the best food in all of Spain! We are a bilingual American high school, and...