Summer High School Programs in Africa

Africa

This program takes students into the heart of Tanzania in order to gain a first-hand perspective of the social-political and economic challenges of regional development in Africa. Whether collaborating on alternative income generating projects, promoting health education, or engaging with local youth, students have the chance to participate in sustainable global change. Students reside at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro, hike to the Pare Mountain and go on safari in the open plains of the Serengeti.

Expedition to Tanzania | Foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Serengeti National Park, Moshi, Pangani
Courses Offered: Grade 12 World Issues, Grade 12 English

Samantha

MEI Expedition to Tanzania

In July and August of 2018, I was lucky enough to go on the Expedition to Tanzania 2 credit program with MEI Academy. The trip was lead by two of the best teachers I have ever had: Ted and Amanda. They were not only teachers, but mentors and friends. Throughout the span of 35 days, I have made some of my closest friends, I have grown both academically and personally, and I have been able to explore parts of the world that I never thought I would be able too. Overall, this program has without a doubt been one of the best experiences of my life, and I would stronngly recommend it to anyone who is considering studying abroad in high school.

Millie

Africa Semester aka Life Changing

Before coming on this program I had done an MEI trip once before. I knew the daily routine but this trip involved new students, teachers, and of course a new location. I was a little nervous at first, but immediately the staff had us at ease as we sat down and started joking and prospecting about the next 50 days. Friendships were formed almost instantly, and we all settled in relatively effortlessly. We travelled to different places on excursions. The Pare Mountains, a service project to a classroom in Kirua, Safari! and even an overnight adventure to some incredible 'hot springs'.
Personally this trip alleviated a lot of pressures that I had placed on myself at home, and let me tell you, I have never felt happier or more care free than on this trip. I made friends that will definitely last a life time, and have made memories that I will never forget. I am prone to homesickness and whilst on this trip there was not a day that went by that I didn't feel so appreciative and happy to be in Tanzania with a group of people who I now consider another family.

I genuinely don't think this program can be improved. We had an incredible time while learning about some of the most important issues facing Africa and the world. It was eye opening and life changing.

About MEI International Academy

With MEI International Academy you'll need to bring your passport, because the world is our classroom. Rather than a typical exchange program, high school students and recent graduates from around the world travel from city to city and country to...