Minds Abroad: Internship Program in Yunnan, China

Minds Abroad: Internship Program in Yunnan, China

Minds Abroad’s internship program aims to give students an insight into the modern day China, while gaining valuable work experience in Asia’s fastest growing economy.

The program will be based out of Kunming, the cosmopolitan capital of the Yunnan province. It is one of the largest cities in China, with a population of over three million. As a “typical” Chinese city in terms of the level of economic development, Kunming is an ideal site for cultural and business immersion. Just as international students visiting the US would need to journey into the country’s heartland and see more than only the gleaming sky scrapers of downtown San Francisco or Manhattan to fully understand the US, the same can be said of China. To understand China as a whole, a student must go beyond the modern and highly developed cities of Beijing and Shanghai and visit cities in the heart of China's vast interior, like Kunming.

• Intern in a much more typical Chinese city like Kunming where you can better understand Chinas vast mass market than cities like Beijing and Shanghai which are much more developed than the rest of China and thus not representative of the Chinese
  • Enroll in cultural trips to know the country and its society better.
  • We have multiple placements in the following fields (if you would like a placement in another field, please email us for more information): Hospitality sector (Hotels) Education (Working not only as a teacher but also in the admi
  • Optional Morning Mandarin Classes:Participants who opt for half a day internships can also opt to enroll in our Weekly Morning Class Program. The purpose of these classes is to help give students the Chinese language skills they need to more fully enjoy
  • Weekend Cultural Tours:Participants are free to enroll in weekend cultural trips and travel into cities of historic and cultural interest around Yunnan as well as Beijing and Shanghai. Destinations include sites that regular travelers visit but more int
Asia » China » Kunming
Language Requirement
Weekly Hours
Discounted Fall/Winter/Spring Price (August 15 through May 14):

· $499 for a one-time fee for the internship placement

· $149/week for accommodations in a private bedroom and three meals a day during weekdays

· Optional class: $299/week for morning class

· Optional Airport Pickup: $49 for 9 AM – 7 PM; $89 before 9 AM or after 7 PM

Regular Summer Price (May 15 through August 14):

· $999 for a one-time fee for the internship placement.

· $199/week for accommodations in a bedroom shared with one other student and three meals a day during weekdays

· $399/week for optional morning class

· Optional Airport Pickup: $49 for 9 AM – 7 PM; $89 before 9 AM or after 7 PM

yamkela
cape town, south africa

great time

i met a whole lot of people from different cultures and backgroud. we thrust in been more socially more invovled with the needy. i had great adventure with mindsabroad. i hope get another chance to help out again.

yes it was fine

Sarene
Ithaca, New York
Cornell University

Kunming 3-Week Summer Internship

The summer internship program with Minds Abroad opened me up to a world which I had never been exposed to before. I learned so much about China's culture every day by working with the kids at the school, hanging out with the Chinese student volunteers, and even just by walking around Kunming - watching dancers near Green Lake or taking the bus back to my apartment. The program provided the perfect balance between structure and freedom so that I felt secure, but was still forced out of my comfort zone.

I would have someone come and teach about the significance of the places we traveled to on the weekends.

Nathanial
Atlanta GA

Clear age division.

The fact that high school and college level students where mixed in is unacceptable. This is dangerous for older men such as myself. Also, being forced to spend time with american students made the trips horrible and painful to go on. I had an awful time being around literally children that legally I had no desire or reason to be around. such as ages 15-19

Create a vivid separation of the students by age and your internships will run much more smoothly and safely. Also give students the options to go on different trips as well.

Taylor
Dahlonega, Georgia
North Georgia College & State University

Only one complaint

Overall the experience was great and the staff helpful with any of our problems. My only gripe is that when your program was suppose to renew my passport it did not happen. So, as I was leaving China I had to pay more than 100$ because apparently my visa had expired. Other than that it is a great program.

My group was there to teach English and the arrangement initially was weird with all of us at one location. Me and two others had to be moved to another location. This location we were sent to had all young children so I ended spending most of the stay teaching kids who didn't even know their ABC.

Sadie
Georgia, United States
North Georgia College & State University

Minds Abroad

Overall, I really enjoyed the program. Great way to experience the most culturally diverse and most beautiful part of China. Good opporuntity at Jiaxin to work with homeless children. It really helped my perspective and my language skills. Great trips overall. Sapa and Lhasa were wonderful.Great housing. And a great way to travel.

If students need to go out of country to renew their visa, please take them to Sapa! This was one of my favorite "vacations" ever. We originally planned to go to India, and I am glad we didn't after I went on a trip there this year. If at all possible, take your students to Tibet. Lhasa was great! Take your students around the lake there. This was my favorite destination, especially because of the cool mountain weather My LEAST favorite place, however, was Weiboshan. The temples all look the same after a while. It's a quaint little town, but there is nothing to do there that is good for tourists. Perhaps choose another trip.

Eden

Essential for Language Growth

I had been taking Chinese for 6 years, but never gone independently to China. I had always been on tour groups and class trips, and I found that I didn't learn much actual , useful Chinese. However, within one week of Minds Abroad I had learned to communicate fairly easily with the people. Being immersed in a growing Chinese city is truly the best way to learn Chinese, because you pick up on modern Chinese language style. Since Kunming is not as westernized as Beijing and Shanghai, there are not many English speakers which makes you depend on your Chinese. Therefore, you learn so much faster and become much more comfortable in your skills. I did a one month half-day internship, and my Chinese skills skyrocketed. I can easily hold a conversation with a local Chinese person, and can find my way around the city, give directions, order in a restaurant, go shopping, and many other daily skills. My Chinese teachers in the morning were all incredibly sweet, and taught me useful Chinese that I would use daily. I interned in a Chinese hospital, and that taught me lots about traditional Chinese healthcare and how they approached medicine. Also, I learned so much modern culture that you could never experience in a class room. Depending on yourself to survive in truly the best way to learn Chinese and Minds Abroad gave me that experience. They are also very helpful at getting you to places you need to go, fulfilling requests, and organizing weekend trips. Kunming also has lots of emerging restaurants and bars, and it's really exciting to walk around downtown and pick a place to eat. You also learn to find the hole-in-the-wall places where the locals hang out, and the best places to shop and eat.

Especially coming from America, the apartments are not quite as nice as most people are used to. It's difficult to adjust living in an apartment that's not the Western standards that I'm used to, and often there are bugs.

Minds Abroad is a U.S.-based organization that conducts study abroad programs on both sides of the Pacific: we bring both Asian students to the United States and also Western students to Asia. Focusing on Chinese language programs and culture immersion, Minds Abroad provides a hands-on