Sea Turtle Conservation Internships

Sea Turtle Conservation Internships

We are recruiting interns for our 4 sea turtle conservation stations, to spend a minimum of 3 months on the beach in Costa Rica, helping with research and data collection of nesting turtles, the eggs, and of course the baby turtles. You will gain invaluable experience in the field, and report directly to our biologist and investigations coordinator.
We are a Costa Rican NGO with 25 years experience in working in protected areas.

• Be an integral part of a research team, with hands on experience with endangered sea turtles
  • Live for 3 months in a rural area of Costa Rica, 3 stations on the pacific, and 1 on the caribbean
  • 24 hour support from our on the ground staff, and weekly evaluations and assessments by our biologist
  • Immersment in a different culture, and the opportunity to meet other volunteers from all over the world.
  • Certificate of participation, and a letter of recognition from the Ministry of the Environment.
North America » Costa Rica » Montezuma
Resume
Phone / Skype Interview
Health Requirement
Weekly Hours
The cost applicable to interns relates to food and expenses at the accommodation. Included - training, all materials used at the project, lodging, 3 meals a day, 4 days off a month.

Laura
Milan
University College London

Turtle conservation in Montezuma, Costa Rica

An amazing experience looking after and releasing baby turtles into the Pacific Ocean. Montezuma is a beautiful remote location on the coast of Costa Rica where we were able to make a difference to endangered turtle species whilst enjoying the jungle style natural habitat. The living conditions were basic but not impossible, plenty of free time to explore the area as shifts were generally between 4 and 6 hours per day. Also a great chance to meet like minded people from all over the world and share in this extraordinary experience. Highly recommended!

Better organisation upon arrival in Montezuma would be better, especially for those arriving at night like I did. I would have preferred to be picked up at the bus station instead of having to find my way to the house in the dark.
With regards to information sent beforehand this must be checked and updated. Two examples: on all literature they tell you not to drink tap water, when you arrive at the house that's all there is. This was quite unsettling even though I obviously did drink the water and it was fine. Also, I asked in advance if I needed a mosquito net or if I would have been able to find one on site and was told I did. I went crazy in Europe trying to get hold of one in the middle of winter only to find it was already available in the house once I reached Montezuma... waste of time and money...
Otherwise, all very positive.

Drew
Oregon

costa rica is beautiful

Just like most sea turtle conservation projects, this project asks for interns and volunteers to do their share of work on night patrols and hatchery shifts. None of the work was too exhausting or extensive, however you do need to get used to a weird sleeping schedule. The beaches were pretty and being a part of conservation work was incredibly rewarding. The turtles are so majestic. This is a great way to experience a new culture and country while doing good for the world!

Isa
Denmark

Turtle-friends

Your schedule was new every week and posted on a big whiteboard in the dining area.
You switched between day- and night watches at the hatchery, general maintenance work or night patrols, where you walk along the beach for 2-3h to spot turtle tracks.
If you encounter a turtle it is measured and marked and the eggs are then brought back to the hatchery.

The general attitude was nice and relax and at the same time, people were instructed to be on time for tasks, so you could rely on the schedule.

On our off-time we would go to the beach, some took surfing lessons, ride in the mangrove or take a bus out of time to some of the nearby beaches or parks.

Always remember to bring good walking shoes, that dry quick for night patrols. Also long pant and a long sleeved jacket, as it can get chilly, especially when you're doing night watch at the hatchery and sitting still.

Mosquito repellent is not allowed near the turtles as it ruins their sense of direction.

Many people come and go from all over the world - witch was both good and bad as there would always be new people.

The living arrangements are pretty small and filled with people, so definitely remember to bring earplugs (essential!)

All in all it was a lovely stay and I would recommend it :)

I was not informed that I would have to spend 2 days in San Jose and general information was sparse before departure.

The kitchen hygiene was really bad, and the food not very varied ... Most people bought their own snacks for in between meals.

We are a Costa Rican NGO, operating out of San Jose, Costa Rica, and with 25 years experience in conservation and investgation in protected areas. We support the country´s National Park systems, as well as providing volunteers and interns to our sea Turtle Conservation projects.