- Dominican Republic
- Santo Domingo
View Other Details
- Bachelors degree or enrolled in current undergraduate program
-6-weeks of training prior to travel including basic medical assisting procedures, cultural expectations, common diseases and conditions, and travel preparedness.
- Accommodations in the country
- All meals while in the country
-Ground transportation in the country
-All necessary medical supplies for the medical clinic
-Letters of Recommendation
Training program, all necessary items for medical clinic, letters of recommendation
Optional independent activities outside of group arranged activities.
Our Dominican Republic medical internships focus on bringing basic healthcare to individuals and families in extreme poverty including many undocumented Haitian migrant workers and their families who live on less than $5 per day and do not qualify for any government funded public services. These families live in very rural, isolated parts of the country with limited access to running water and no electricity. Children are often suffering from treatable diseases because of limited access to medical doctors and inexpensive medications such as antibiotics. Interns in these programs will receive necessary education to provide services such as screening, evaluation, and basic treatment for these conditions in coordination with a medical doctor.
This is a 8-week program with 7 weeks of remote online training and one week (8 days) in Dominican Republic.
- Assist medical doctors in temporary medical clinics
- Enjoy the beautiful jungle and beaches of Dominican Republic
- Receive letters of recommendations for graduate school and job applications
- Optional all inclusive resort stay for up to 3 days following internship
- 8-day medical and cultural internship